Film: Echelon Conspiracy
A 2009 thriller of not-so-epic proportions, following a twenty-something password protector who receives a mysterious phone and a string of messages that seem to predict the future. Soon after, he gets wrapped up in an FBI investigation into a string of three strange deaths all linked to similar phones and curious clairvoyant text messages. Cue cliche action thriller. Think Eagle Eye, only with actors you've never heard of (except for Martin Sheen).Needs Wiki Magic Love.
This movie contains examples of the following Tropes:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot - The villain is a gigantic artificial intelligence supercomputer that can access any security system world-wide and is attempting to download an upgrade that got shot down by Congress to make it so it can access any computer in the world. It does this all by itself, too.
- An Aesop - To some level. Becomes somewhat Anvilicious near the end.
- Big Brother Is Watching
- Chekhov's Gun - A few of these. the belt trick the main character uses to shut down the terminal in the beginning, the name used on the credit card to purchase the phone, Yuri's character in general, stealing the SIM data while the main character is KO'd, among others.
- Face-Heel Turn - A few of these as well, actually. Most main characters go through at least one.
- Foreshadowing - And they don't try to hide it at all.
- Master Computer
- Logic Bomb
- Product Placement - Pretty blatant placement for DHL, to the point where the main character even says their name.
- Sinister Surveillance - And how.