Film: Dickie Roberts Former Child Star
Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star is a 2003 comedy film starring David Spade as Former Child Star Dickie Roberts, who wants to wants to be a star again. He desperately wants to star in Rob Reiner's upcoming film, but while he has the right basic look Reiner had in mind, he doesn't think Dickie is right for the part, due to the role being a "real person" and Dickie not knowing how a normal person lives, due to not having a normal childhood, so Dickie hires a family to treat him like a child for two months in order to be able to get an audition.
Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star contains examples of:
- As Himself: Rob Reiner, Brendan Frasier, Dick Van Patten, and many former child stars.
- The Bully: Sam and Sally get bullied when Dickie picks them up. Dickie embarrasses the bullies for them.
- Casting Gag: Dickie Robert's mother is played by Doris Roberts.
- Catch Phrase: On "The Glimmer Gang", Dickie's catch phrase was "This is nucking futs!"
- Chekhov's Gun: Dickie "borrows"customers car from work, and ends up angering a driver, who threatens him, writing down the license plate number (and unable to see the driver, due to tinted windows). Turns out the car belonged to Rob Reiner, leading to him being attacked, and after Dickie's agent agrees to donate a kidney, agrees to let Dickie audition for the movie.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The driver Dickie pisses off while driving a car he "borrowed" from a customer doesn't see who is driving (due to tinted windows) and writes down the license plate number. Turns out the car belongs to Rob Reiner, who he finds and attacks.
- Compliment Backfire: Dickie tells the mother that she's too beautiful to be a mom, but after acknowledging that she obviously is a mom, she might not be as beautiful as he thinks.
- Disappeared Dad: Dickie says that he never met his father but claims that his father is David Soul (Hutch from Starsky & Hutch). He later admits this is not true, and that he only has one memory of his actual father.
- George Finney eventually leaves the family for Dickie's ex.
- Foreshadowing: During his first meeting with Rob Reiner, Reiner mentions that he saw Dickie valet parking at a restaurant. It turns out Rob Reiner owned the car that Dickie had "borrowed", resulting in him getting attacked from the driver Dickie had pissed off while driving it.
- Flipping the Bird: When the mother decides to make Dickie have cereal instead of coffee for breakfast, Dickie looks in, remarks that there's a surprise inside, reaches inside, and flips her the bird.
- Former Child Star: Obviously from the title.
- Many real-life former child stars also make appearances as themselves. Many even record a song about being former child stars during the end credits.
- Ghost Story: Dickie and the kids tell scary stories in the treehouse.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Dickie teaches the kids "Shizzle", a secret way to swear.
- Jerkass: George Finney is one to his family.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Dickie.
- Karma Houdini: While looking for a celebrity to help get Dickie Roberts to meet with Rob Reiner, Dickie leaves his valet parking job driving a customers car, where he ends up being threatened by a driver who writes down the license plate number, but isn't worried because it's not his car and he had the windows tinted. The car ends up belonging to Rob Reiner, who gets attacked by the man and ends up needing a kidney, which Dickie's agent donates in exchange for letting Dickie audition, and Dickie gets the part, with Rob never finding out that Dickie was responsible.
- Kick the Dog: When Dickie appears on Celebrity Boxing, he not only gets his butt kicked by Emmanuel Lewis, but the emcee refuses to let the referee throw in the towel, and after Dickie's beaten, the emcee kicks him while he's announcing Emmanuel as the winner.
- Man Child: Dickie Roberts is this, not just when he's supposed to be treated like a child.
- Missing Mom: Dickie's mother abandoned him once he lost stardom.
- Prank Call: Although not done for the sake of a joke (Dickie did it to help the kids mother know what house she was supposed to go to), Dickie calls the fire department about a false fire.
- Product Placement: Dickie Roberts is a valet parking driver at Morton's.
- Show Within a Show: Dickie Roberts became a child star from appearing on The Glimmer Gang.
- Spoonerism: Dickie's childhood catch phrase was "This is nucking futs!"
- Treehouse of Fun: On Dickie's first night with the family, the kids suggest Dickie sleep in their treehouse, so they won't have to deal with him. He turns it into a cool, retro treehouse, and the kids join him that night.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: In the form of an E! True Hollywood Story documentary.