Dear Lemon Lima is a 2009 family comedy about a girl who attempts to screw with the system after being awarded a scholarship to an exclusive private school in Alaska based on widely stretched racial interpretations. Helping to motivate her are her lingering feelings for her ex-boyfriend-turned-rival team captain for the school's big annual physical competition and the treatment she sees of students exiled to the "Weight Room," a bunch of miserable loners who have trouble fitting in whether at school or at home. Rather than whip them into shape, she attempts to show the school that they're a collection of plucky Cool Losers capable of winning on without having to change who they are.
This movie provides examples of:
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Nothing Amigone being a deliberate self-named example.
- California Doubling: The film takes place in Alaska but was filmed entirely in Washington (as the film somewhat nods to).
- Face–Heel Turn: a rare main character example as Vanessa temporarily abandons her team to try to get back with Phillip — at the very least her teammates see her as this
- Feelies: The DVD comes with a PDF file that's meant to represent Vanessa's diary (the eponymous "Dear Lemon Lima" letters).
- Heel–Face Turn: Megan joins Vanessa after she gets dumped by Phillip
- Heroes Want Redheads: Why Vanessa dyes her hair.
- Wham Line: When Hercule commits suicide