is a Horror
film directed by Bradley Parker, produced by Paranormal Activity
’s Oren Peli, and stars Jesse McCartney, among others. Released May 25, 2012, it is based on the book The Diary of Lawson Oxford,
also written by Oren Peli.
The film follows a group of tourists exploring the ruins of Pripyat, the town just outside the Chernobyl power plant. After managing to make their way into the city, the tourists and their guide are periodically assaulted by unidentifiable monsters that threaten the lives of all characters involved
Tropes featured in Chernobyl Diaries include:
- Artistic License - Physics / Artistic License - Biology: Radiation doesn't cause the kinds of mutations seen in the film – not to the dogs, not to the fish, and certainly not to people....
- Artistic License - History: Despite the Soviet Government's track history of indifference to their citizens, everyone was evacuated from the surrounding area.
- The Backwards R: On one version of the poster◊, which if pronounced in actual Cyrillic would read "Sneyapovul Diayaies"
- Bears Are Bad News: Subverted; the bear doesn't do them any harm.
- However, it foreshadows the arrival of much greater dangers.
- Cat Scare: Double subverted with the bear, as it's not the half-expected small animal, but also doesn't attack.
- Downer Ending / Gainax Ending / Diabolus Ex Machina: Wait, what?
- Dwindling Party: Everybody's dead by the end of the film.
- Found Footage: The group watches a video on Chris' cell which uses the style of Found Footage films at one point, giving the survivors an idea of what they might be up against.
- He Knows Too Much: Amanda gets thrown to the escaped patients at the end because she knows they exist.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The whole thing is really Paul's fault, but he does care about his brother.
- Kill 'em All
- Last Stand: Offscreen, a Russian soldier has one when he tries to fortify himself inside an abandoned bus.
- Only Sane Man: Chris, to an almost ridiculous extent.
- Russian Guy Suffers Most: Yuri dies offscreen, but his corpse gets by far the worst treatment.
- Sole Survivor: Subverted. Amanda is the last of the main cast to remain alive, but not for very long.
- Was Once a Man