->''"He tampered in God's domain."''
''Bride of the Monster'' (originally known as ''Bride of the Atom'') is a 1955 horror film starring Creator/BelaLugosi and produced, directed and co-written by Creator/EdWood. A sequel, entitled ''Film/NightOfTheGhouls'', was made in 1959, but went unreleased for decades.
The story follows Dr. Eric Vornoff, who is experimenting with nuclear power in a primitive laboratory in his mansion to create an army of mutated supermen to do his bidding. [[IntrepidReporter Intrepid newspaper reporter]] Janet Lawton starts investigating, as do the local police. Meanwhile, an Eastern-bloc agent named Professor Strowksi appears and tries to persuade Dr. Vornoff to return to their homeland; instead, he gets fed to Vornoff's pet octopus-monster for getting too pushy. In the end, Vornoff is betrayed by his assistant (Tor Johnson as "Lobo", whipped one time too many), is turned into the monster he was trying to create, and is then blown up in an atomic explosion.
The only Ed Wood film to turn a profit. For the ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' episode see ''[[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S04E23BrideOfTheMonster here]]''.
!!Tropes associated with this work:
* BigBad: Dr. Eric Vornoff, the MadScientist trying to make the supermen.
* BottomlessMagazines: About 20 bullets are fired from Lt. Craig's revolver and it's never reloaded.
* CreatorThumbprint: Oh so Ed Wood. Angora, cheap effects, sexually laden dialogue, it's all there.
** The cinematography by Ted Allan and William C. Thompson, however, is remarkable. Some have noted ''Film/TheCabinetOfDrCaligari'' influence.
* DamselInDistress: Janet in the hands of Eric Vornoff.
* DeusExNukina: That was one ''unstable'' octopus.
* DirtyCommunists: Strongly implied about Strowksi.
* EverythingsSquishierWithCephalopods: The (obvious) prop octopus.
* FunnyOctopus: The film makes use of a prop octopus that gets Bela Lugosi in its clutches (though Bela has to toss the tentacles over himself for the effect). Supposed to be "evil" but clearly in the "comical" category.
* GrayRainOfDepression: Recurring in the film, and mentioned specifically in dialogue. It is mentioned that there is a storm every night for the last three months.
* [[TheseAreThingsManWasNotMeantToKnow He Tampered In God's Domain]]
* HumansAreMorons: Vornoff is convinced that he is only called mad because humanity fails to comprehend his visionary work. "One is always considered mad, when one discovers something that others cannot grasp!".
* TheIgor, TheBrute: Lobo
* ImmuneToBullets: Lobo takes about 5 bullets to the chest with no ill effects.
* IntrepidReporter: Janet.
* MadScientist: Professor Doctor Eric Vornoff completely lives this trope. He has a MadScientistLaboratory, an [[TheIgor Igor]], [[HerrDoktor an eastern European accent]], he wants to prove [[TheyCalledMeMad people who called him mad]] wrong, he has an EvilLaugh and his plan is to [[ILoveNuclearPower create a race of atomic supermen]] [[TakeOverTheWorld to conquer the world]]. He's played by Bela Lugosi after all [[ChewingTheScenery who chews the scenery a lot]].
* MissedHimByThatMuch: Professor Strowski has spend years tracking-down Vornoff, and kept arriving at a location shortly after the departure of his target. He narrates that he missed Vornoff in Paris by a month, in London by a week, and at Loch Ness by a single day.
* MrFanservice: Tony [=McCoy=]'s ShirtlessScene near the end. Bonus points if you're into military tattoos.
* NoodleIncident: There are two references to Eric Vornoff contactic experiments at Loch Ness, but no mention of either their nature or their results.
* ParentalAbandonment: Eric Vornoff has not contacted his wife and son in twenty years.
%% * ScienceIsBad
* SendInTheSearchTeam: Strangely averted. Twelve persons have disappeared in a swamp area. When the police discovers the abandoned car of Janet within the area, indicating she is the 13th missing person, you could expect someone to organize a search party. Nope, her concerned, police detective fiancé and his partner instead rush... "to a coffee joint about ten miles back".
* StockFootage: It rarely matches with the scenes in which it is used.
* SwampsAreEvil: Most of the film takes place in a swamp or the sole residence within it. It seems filled with natural death traps, as several scenes demonstrate. A cop muses that "This swamp is a monument to death. Snakes, alligators, quicksand, all bent on one thing- destruction!".
* TakeOverTheWorld: Vornoff dreams of creating "a race of atomic supermen" to conquer the world in his name.
* ATasteOfTheLash: Lobo is fascinated with Janet and at some point approaches her with lustful intend, ignoring Eric's commands to leave the room. Eric grabs a nearby whip and whips the mute servant into submission.
* TheyCalledMeMad: Which is why Vorloff left his homeland in the first place. "But here, in this forsaken jungle hell, I have proven that I am all ''right''!"
* TooDumbToLive: 12 people have disappeared near the old Willow place. Do the police search there? [[PoliceAreUseless Nope]].
* WeatherDissonance: Characters note that the near-constant rain is unnatural for their area. At one point Dick Craig and his partner Marty discuss the situation. "Something strange about this rain. Lightning's been going crazy too. Maybe, it's like the papers say- all these atom bombs explosions, distorted the atmosphere". It is implied that Vornoff's experiments may be affecting the weather, but the lines seem to also reflect then-contemporary anxiety about climate change.
* WhenItRainsItPours: The film opens to a torrential downpour of water, with two hunters caught outside and trying to find shelter.
* WhenPropsAttack: The notorious scene in which Dr. Vornoff gets attacked by his own giant octopus. Reportedly, the prop was stolen from another studio's store, but a vital electric motor was forgotten, forcing Lugosi to manipulate the prop himself.
* WildChild: Lobo might be a grown-up version. Eric has been wondering the globe for twenty years, and claims to have discovered Lobo in the wildnerness of Tibet.
* YoureInsane: Strowski is perfectly OK with the notion of Vornoff creating a "master race" to conquer the world. But he thinks this race should serve their homeland. When he hears that Vornoff wants to conquer the world in his own name, he replies with "You are mad".