Film: Boxing Helena
Boxing Helena is a 1993 film directed by Jennifer Chambers Lynch (the daughter of David Lynch) and starring Julian Sands and Sherilyn Fenn.Surgeon Nick Cavanaugh is obsessed with a beautiful woman named Helena. He tries to convince her that they need each other, but she rejects his advances. Then one day, Helena gets run over by a car, causing Nick to hold her captive at his mansion, where he amputates her legs and arms. Things go completely bizarre once the plot unfolds.A notorious flop and a Creator Killer/Star-Derailing Role for both Lynch and Fenn respectively - Lynch waited fifteen years for her next directing gig and Fenn's movie career sputtered to a halt not long after.
This film has the examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: At first Nick only amputates Helena's legs as it is necessary, but as his obsession grows, he cuts off her arms as well.
- Deadpan Snarker: Helena. Even getting her limbs cut off doesn't stop her.
- Girl in a Box: After cutting her arms, Nick puts Helena in a box.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Helena has several of these to deliver to Nick, calling him clingy and petty and viciously emasculates him every chance she gets.
- Twist Ending: The whole movie from amputation onwards was a dream that Nick had.
- Verbing Nouny: There's a girl called Helena, and she gets boxed.