Film / Boomerang
A 1992 Romantic Comedy
starring Eddie Murphy
, Robin Givens and Halle Berry
Murphy plays Marcus, an advertisement executive who regularly picks up women,and as soon as he has slept with them, breaks up the relationship for petty reasons. He then falls in love for real.
This film has examples of:
- Betty and Veronica: Angela vs Jacqueline. Later in the movie, Gerard and Marcus are this respectively, to Angela.
- The Casanova: Marcus is a massive womanizer, having his assistant send flowers to numerous women saying "Only thinking of you."
- Everything Is Racist: Tyler has an entire rant on how billiards is a racial conspiracy because the white cue ball knocks all of the colored balls off the table, with the black eight-ball saved for last due to a fear of black sexuality.
- Flanderization: Angela starts out as really laid back, and in one scene where she finds out where Marcus cheated on her, she tells him to "Stay the fuck out of her life!"; later on in the movie her cursing habits are amped up whereas, before that scene, she was relatively mellow.
- Ladykiller in Love: The whole plot point of the movie. Marcus falls in love with the one woman he thinks is his equal. But soon finds out that she's an even more ruthless player than he is.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Marcus spends most of his relationships doing this to women due to an unconscious fear of commitment. He waits until after they've had sex, then breaks up with women because they don't have tiny feet and other such jackassery. Then he finally meets a woman he can't find fault in and falls in love.
- Nipple and Dimed: A perfume commercial is being edited and the main characters go to great lengths to figure out whether a shot of her bare chest features a nipple. Marcus insists it's just a shadow. Eventually, the editor does a close-up and declares "It's a nipple, 'cause I'm drooling".