(aka The Bloody Moon Murders
and The Saw of Death
) is a Slasher Movie
from the year 1981. It was directed by Jesus Franco.
Set in Spain, the film opens with scarred man named Miguel attempting to rape and ultimately killing a woman at a masquerade party. Five years later his sister Manuela picks him up from a mental institute.
We are then introduced to Angela, who has come to the newly opened boarding school to learn Spanish, and soon finds herself in the middle of a bizarre killing spree. Has Miguel relapsed, or is there something else going on?
This film provides examples of:
- Attempted Rape: Posing as her boyfriend, Miguel picks up a girl from the party in the opening and attempts to take her forcibly when he is unmasked.
- Big Damn Heroes: As Angela is being attacked near the climax, Miguel rushes to the rescue.
- Boarding School of Horrors
- Breast Attack: When Eva is killed with a knife, it is shown going through her breast.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Miguel and Manuela had an incestuous relationship in the past. After being released from the asylum, Miguel wants resume it, but Manuela refuses.
- Car Fu: A kid is run over by a car.
- Cassandra Truth: Angela's attempts at telling what happened are constantly dismissed as bad dreams. And she is stupid enough to believe that.
- Chainsaw Good: Huge circular saw and a bush trimmer are put to deadly use.
- Creator Cameo: Jesus Franco appears briefly as a doctor in the mental institute.
- Final Girl: Angela.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Quarter of Miguel's face is scarred, and he is certainly morally unhinged.
- Improvised Weapon: After failing to rape the girl in the opening, Miguel kills her with a pair of scissors.
- It Was Here, I Swear: Eva's body is taken away after Angela temporarily leaves the crime scene.
- Kill It with Fire: Contessa dies as she is set on fire at night.
- Losing Your Head: After Anonio beheads the snake that was threatening Angela, its head is shown squirming on the ground.
- Not Quite Dead: After being stabbed throught the neck, Miguel clings to life long enough to kill Manuela.
- Off with His Head!: Provided in the giant circular saw murder.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Angela runs into a row of these near the end.
- Plot-Induced Stupidity: It never occurs to Angela that she should inform the law about the murders.
- Red Herring: Miguel
- The Reveal: Miguel is being framed for the murders by Manuela and Alvaro so that she can get her mother's inheritance.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The killer's leitmotif is very similar to Paul McCartney & Wings's "Live and Let Die''.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: Angela resides in the bungalow number thirteen. Superstitions are discussed when she tells about it.
- Vapor Wear: Manuela's nightgown which she wears when Miguel is asking her to resume their past relatonship.
- Video Nasty
- Weird Moon: It's full moon all the time.
- Would Hurt a Child: The killer runs over a kid who witnessed the death by saw.