Biutiful is a movie by Creator/AlejandroGonzalezInarritu. It stars Creator/JavierBardem as Uxbal, a man attempting to support himself and his two children while dealing with the dilemmas brought upon him by his illicit occupation and his bipolar ex-wife. A more detailed description of the plot is that it's about Uxbal, an ex-orphan who's now a poor single parent struggling to raise his two kids in their shabby apartment in a [[CrapsackWorld crapsack]] depiction of Barcelona while also staying away from his bipolar, alcoholic ex-wife. He works for a mob where his occupation is smuggling illegal immigrants into Barcelona. And he can communicate with the dead. And he has terminal cancer. It almost feels like something [[WesternAnimation/AmericanDad Tearjerker]] would make up. [[/note]]
!!This movie provides examples of:
* [[AbusiveParents Abusive Mother]]: Albeit one that's striving to be good.
* AdultFear: Who will care for the children after [[spoiler: Uxbal's death?]]
* TheAtoner: Uxbal tries to be one, and fails.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler: Uxbal succumbs to cancer, but his children are safe with Ige, and he reunites with his father in heaven.]]
* CrapsackWorld: The portrayal of Barcelona.
* DamnItFeelsGoodToBeAGangster: No, it ''really'' doesn't. Uxbal is heavily involved with lots of different types of criminals, and his life is absolutely terrible.
* HeartbeatSoundtrack: The audible heartbeats in the scene where Uxbal hugs his daughter were achieved on set with microphones stuck to the actors' skin.
* [[spoiler: TheHeroDies]]
* [[spoiler: ISeeDeadPeople: A whole family of them.]]
* KickTheDog: The movie could count as one giant Kick the Dog towards Uxbal. But [[spoiler: When he gives Ige the remainder of his savings, she almost goes back to Africa with the money, but eventually reconsiders.]]
* MoodSwinger: Marambra, for obvious reasons.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: [[spoiler:The carbon monoxide poisoning of the immigrant workers.]]
* TearJerker: The movie.
* TragicHero: Uxbal.
* UngratefulBastard: Uxbal gets no gratitude for passing on the dead's messages. Although, to be fair, the people he's talking to might assume he's a fake or is speaking out of pain.