Birdemic 2: The Resurrection
is the sequel to James Nguyen's abysmal film, Birdemic: Shock and Terror
, a film that is allegedly an homage
to Alfred Hitchcock
's The Birds
, This film focuses on Rod's friend, Bill, who is an indie film director
trying to make a film. Bill meets a girl in a restaurant, and he persuades her to audition for the lead role in the film, along with Rod's girlfriend Nathalie, who apparently now wants to be an actress, despite her previously very successful modelling career with Victoria's Secret. Birds then proceed to attack them because of global warming.
Much like the first movie, Birdemic 2
is absolutely terrible. The acting is equally wooden, the special effects are just as dreadful, the camera work is possibly even more
abysmal than in the original and the soundtrack is awful. It's a pretty solid entry as a sequel, though the film seems to be a little more aware of what it is.
The cast and director have been touring several cities in America and Europe, showing the film in independent cinemas, but have also made it available for download at the official Web site
if you missed it.
This film provides examples of:
- Acting Unnatural: Rod still can't walk convingly and anytime he's not supposed to be doing anything in particular, he stands way too still.
- Action Girl: Natahlie sure does show off her fancy gun work and punching abilities against those birds!
- All Men Are Perverts: Bill always seems to focus on how Gloria is beautiful before saying she's talented. Also, he's clearly looking at her ass when they first meet.
- Author Appeal: Yep, there's more on global warming.
- Author Avatar: The suspiciously-familiar Asian screenwriter who spends half the movie talking about his dream to make a movie about killer birds attacking Hollywood. The film abruptly ends when he dies.
- Beta Couple: Natahlie and Rod are this in the sequel, compared to Gloria and Bill.
- Then it kind of flip-flops in the second half, due to Rod and Natahlie knowing so much more about the birds and more or less leading.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The "giant jumbo jellyfish" attack.
- Call Back: The music over the credits (and a couple minutes after) is "Hangin' Out with My Family" from the first movie.
- Fanservice: Gloria in her underwear. Also the scene where the topless women are acting for a film before being killed by the birds.
- Genre Savvy: Rod knows all about zombies and how they spread infections, despite it being his first encounter with the undead.
- He's Dead, Jim: This happens a lot.
- No Ending: The scriptwriter dies and the birds fly away. Kind of doubles as a Downer Ending too, as the first one ended on the hope of a better feature and the survivors being saved; this one just ends after a death and everyone looking sad (or bored, it's hard to tell which).
- Parody Retcon: Sometimes shows a tinge of this, as they do things similar to their first movie as what feels like a joke.
- Random Events Plot: The second half comes off as this, as they don't seem to be going anywhere specific, they just keep going place to place.
- Rule of Cool: Throwing punches and fancy round-house kicks during a bird attack.
- Shout Out: To Sunset Boulevard of all things.
- Space Whale Aesop: If you film an explotative nude scene for a film, poorly animated birds will kill you.
- Spell My Name with an S: Natahlie.
- Stealth Parody: A possible point - the Space Whale Aesop seems to be mocked by including zombies.
- And this from the website:
There’s romance, horror, awkward sex, deadly birds, zombies & giant jumbo jelly fish.
- Stock Subtitle
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Susan apparently died of a disease from eating the fish in the first film.
- Which is odd, because she (along with Tony) refused to eat it, and if they did eat it, why didn't they all get the disease?
- Took a Level in Badass: Natalhie in between the two films.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailer shows that zombies are in this film, and semi-gives away that the scriptwriter dies.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Tony goes unaccounted for during the bird attack. Odd considering that Rod and Natalie are supposed to be looking after him.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The same rain that creates the killer birds makes the dead rise from a cemetery.
"Maybe it's global warming!"