Ben 10 Alien Swarm is a 2009 Live-Action Adaptation
film in the Ben10
franchise, this one based off the Alien Force
series. Its is the second live action film in the series and the third movie overall.
Ben, Gwen and Kevin do a sting operation from black market sellers trying to give away alien tech. In the midst of it, the tech, supposely latent alien chips, spring to life and attack them. The group manages to fight then off. In the process coming across a girl name Elena, an old friend of Ben and Gwen and daughter of a former plumber who went rouge. She comes asking for their help though Gwen is wary of her given their past while Ben isn't so sure. As the group investiage more into the chips, its revealed there's more to the plot that meets the eye.
Unlike Race Against Time
, this film was canon in the TV show and was even continued in two Sequel Episodes
: Revenge of the Swarm
and The Perfect Girlfriend
The film has the following examples:
- Alien Invasion: Naturally.
- Bishōnen: Ben and Kevin are both very pretty, which is more the fault of their portrayers, Ryan Kelley and Nathan Keyes.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Elena's father, Victor and Grandpa Max later on
- Cassandra Truth: It's revealed that Victor was right about the chips and that there was a plot brewing surrounding them. However when he tried to have them destroyed he was incarcerated and wasn't believed when Max interrogated him
- Car Fu: Humangonsaur Ben does this against a batch of nano-chips, much to Kevin's dismay as it was his car.
- Car Chase: Between Kevin (with Gwen) and the nanochips.
- Clear My Name: Elena's goal is clear her family's name of her father's supposed crime.
- Cool Car: It's this movie introduces the slick car that Ben gains in the series. As it was meant to be a birthday present from Kevin to Ben.
- Dawson Casting: None of the main characters look like teenagers. Nearly all of them were in their 20s at the time.
- Hive Mind: The Nano-chips controlled by a queen.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: Ben manages to get one of the nano's DNA and turns into a new alien called Nanomech which allows him to shrink and enter Victor's body to do battle with the Hive Queen.
- Live-Action Adaptation
- Made-for-TV Movie
- Nano Machines
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: If Max had believed Victor from the get go, none of the movie's events would've happened.
- No Ontological Inertia: Once the queen dies, the nanochips becomes inert for good.
- No Sell: The Hive Queen tries to bring Ben under her control since he's in an alien form of her species. Ben shakes it off easy.
- The Other Darrin: Grandpa Max this time played by Barry Corbin. Its reported that Lee Majors was offered the role again but turned it down due to other commitments. Fans preferred Barry anyway as, unlike Majors, he actually looked the the part from the TV show.
- Remember the New Guy: A toned down case with Elena; while she is introduced as Ben's former schoolmate he already knew despite never showing up before, it's made clear Ben met her during the lap between the original series and AF. By describing her as Ben's first crush, however, the movie ignores the fact Ben had a crush on Kai Green in the original show. Granted, considering how it ended, you might understand neither Ben or Gwen bothered remembering Kai.
- There was a special tie in story in "CN's Action Pack'' comic which explains Ben's relationship to Elena.
- The Swarm: Duh
- Theme Tune Rap: The ending theme, "Flyentology" by El-P
- We Can Rule Together: Attempted and failed by the Queen on Ben.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Via mind control