BASEketball tells the story of two unemployed losers (South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone) who invent a game combining baseball and basketball, but requiring no real athletic skills. The game rapidly evolves in popularity to where it becomes an actual professional sport.Based on an actual game created by director David Zucker.
This movie provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of inspirational sports movies.
- Analogy Backfire:Cain: But until we allow teams to move cities and players to change teams, and take advantage of lucrative corporate tie-ins, I'm afraid you and your colleagues are gonna have to continue working for... (Cain reaches down where a chicken is eating some feed)Coop: (looks at Cain's hand) Chicken poo?Cain: Ugh! Feed. Chicken feed.
- Arc Words:Coop: One day, I'm gonna be a big sports star!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:"Continued expansion diluted the talent pool, forcing [sports team] owners to recruit heavily from forcing prisons, mental institutions, and Texas".
- Artifact Title: In-universe, in the opening narration, describing professional sports teams who have moved to other markets:"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes. The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, where there is no oil. The New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music."
- As Himself: A dozen people, notably Bob Costas and Al Michaels, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Victoria Silvstedt (Playmate of the Year), Dale Earnhardt, and Reggie Jackson.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Denslow's will involves an obviously rhetorical question, to which Coop responds.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Remer
- Author Catchphrase: Early appearances of "Derp," which later appeared in South Park
- Awesome, but Impractical: Many of the psyche-outs require lots of planning, and even some props. Each psyche-out can be used only once, or it loses its shock value.
- Benevolent Boss: Ted Denslow.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Parodied with Coop and Remer.
- Book Ends: We open with a narrator talking about about the majesty of sportsmanship in it's decline and we close with that same narrator.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Played with between Coop's control over the NBL and Remer wanting more from this.Remer Dude, quit thinking about yourself for a change!
Coop Dude, I'm not gonna cave in! End of story, dude!
Remer: DUDE!! (Coop is aghast) Dude.
Coop: (speechless) I guess you got a point there.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick:Coop: He goes home, does some push-ups, fucks the sleeve of his favorite jacket...
- Brick Joke: Road Kill: Caught on Tape.
- Also, the "I hear your _____'s going out with Squeak!" psych-out.
- Butt Monkey: Poor Squeak.
- Calvinball: Coop and Remer originally make the rules up as they go along to beat the two guys at the party. From there it mutates into an actual sport.
- The playoff format, after the NBL expands.
- Camp Gay: Heavily implied with the San Francisco Ferries (referring to both ferryboats and the gay slang "fairy").
- Chekhov's Gag:"Hey, I heard your (female relative)'s going out with Squeak!"
- Chew Toy: Squeak, again.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Remer
- Coincidental Broadcast: Coop listening to the radio:Look out ahead, there's a truck changing lanes
And you've got some yellow crumbs on your upper lip...
- Comically Missing the Point: Joey's first wishes include big game hunting a bald eagle or a giant panda, before choosing poisoning a reservoir and throwing flesh-eating fish into a public swimming pool.
- Also, Squeak with his admiring fan. She can't be a dude - she's got the cutest little Adam's apple!
- Remer thinks he has to quit BASEketball to get rich.
- This happens every time Cain meets with Coop and/or Remer. He'll discuss his ideas regarding lucrative opportunities, but they'll greatly misinterpret what's Cain is talking about much to his chagrin.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Al Michaels seems to be really fond of the Beers cheerleaders.
- Dirty Old Man: Denslow reveals he's this in his video will.
- Doing It for the Art: In-universe example. Coop's philosophy while building the NBL; He wants to create an environment where passion for the sport, not franchising, is the main motivating factor for the players. Unfortunately, Coop has too much control over the sport just to keep it that way.Coop: This is not about the money. It's about tradition. Look, think about the greats who have played this game. It's because of them. It's because of us, that I can't bow down to a guy like Cain.
Remer: Dude, that's easy for you to say! You got the team, we got jack-shit!
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Squeak. His real first name is Kenny, but his teammates use his nickname so exclusively that it's assumed to be his given name.
- It gets even better when everyone is referred to by full name and nickname and we get to "Squeak 'Little Bitch' Scolari."
- Face Fault: Common result of the psych-outs.
- Fanservice: Any Baseketball cheerleader (in-universe and out). Their "uniforms" are Vapor Wear.
- Faux Yay: Coop and Remer have a full-on snog session toward the end of the film.
- Feud Episode: Coop and Remer, after they've been blackmailed and blame each other.
- Fictional Sport
- Fingore: One psych-out has Coop flip off the opposing player, slowly creep a pair of wire-cutters towards his finger and tear it off. It's a fake, but still...
- Freudian Slippery Slope: Jenna after seeing Coop and Remer naked in the locker room.This is going to be the end of the foundation; it's not endowed like- (beat) well, like- [...] Enough! Look at yourselves! You're just typical men with humongous... egos. You're like every other pro-athlete, I should have kept those kids away from you, now their little lives are ruined and all you can do is argue over who is the bigger penis- I mean child. (sigh) Long wanger. (gasp) Throbbing cock. (screams)
- Full-Name Basis: "Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year!"
- Funny Background Event: The movie is full of them. (It is a David Zucker film, after all.)
- Gag Penis: Coop and Remer in the locker room with Jenna. They are as long as the legs they hang between.
- Happy Dance: Inverted, Coop does his happy dance whenever he's pissed off, with varying results.
- Hero-Worshipper: Coop is one to Reggie Jackson. In turn, Joey is to Coop.
- Humble Beginnings: In-universe. Baseketball was made up on the spot by Coop and Remer one night. Soon it was being played on suburban neighborhood driveways and even went as far as developing entire amateur leagues within neighborhoods. With the support and financial sponsorship of a billionaire fan and a growing fan base, it became a professional league sport. As a nod to this, many baseketball arenas have backboard facades the resemble garage doors each themed to the arena's home team.Bob Costas: Hard to believe that just five years ago, this game was played only on driveways.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: Remer was offended when Coop tells him he doesn't really care about Jenna since he was in the hot tub with Victoria Silvstedt, "Playmate of the Year!".Remer: That hurts, man! That really hurts! My clothing line is singlehandedly saving Jenna's foundation!
Coup: Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot how much Doug Remer cares about kids.
- If I Had a Nickel:"If I had a nickel for every time this ball's gotten me out of a tight spot, I'd have a shitload of nickels!"
- Instant Sedation: For one of his psych-outs Remer plays a droning, monotonous book-on-tape in a player's ear, lulling him to sleep in seconds.
- Joisey: Exaggerated with The New Jersey Informants.
- Lampshade Hanging: Coop (Trey Parker) to Remer (Matt Stone):"Oh, now you're such a big shot, you're gonna act in a Hollywood movie? Fuckin' sellout." (awkward pause)
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Joey. Actually, it's liver recipient to be precise, but this still applies.
- Meaningful Echo: The Beers win the final championship game using the exact same play that they won the driveway league championship with at the beginning, complete with identical commentating from the announcers.
- Moment Killer: Remer barges into Coop's apartment in Kramer fashion just as he and Jenna are about to kiss.Remer: Hey Coop, check out all this cool shit we got in the hospital!
- Never My Fault: After the Big Bad blackmails them into forfeiting the Denslow Cup, Remer blames the entire mess on Coop because he wouldn't share control of the NBL and for saying no to Cain's first proposition (thus forcing Cain to take drastic measures in order to change Coop's mind). When Jenna comes down to tell them they've destroyed her foundation, Remer quickly pins the blame on Coop.Coop: Jenna, I can explain...
Remer: Yes, it was his fault.
Remer: You gotta believe me, it's all Coop's fault!
Remer: Thanks for coming back, you really made a big difference in the game.
- After the Beers are starting to lose the Denslow Cup, resulting in a fight:
Coop: Dude, if I haven't been cleaning up your mess, I wouldn't be jet-lagging, shitting curry!
- Opposing Sports Team/The Rival: The Dallas Felons.
- Pair the Spares: Remer and Yvette, despite never meeting before. They were lonely because everyone else was paired.
- Plot-Mandated Friendship Failure
- Real Song Theme Tune: Reel Big Fish's cover of A-Ha's "Take On Me" for the movie itself, their song "Beer" for the Milwaukee Beers.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After infighting between Coop and Remer threatens their shot at winning the championship game, Squeak delivers one to them at halftime while dressed as a pineapple.
- Right Behind Me: At the house party near the beginning of the movie, Brittany is standing right behind Remer when he tells Coop how much he wants to have sex with her. It happens again when she catches them going through her mom's underwear drawer.
- Roswell Incident: Alluded to with the Roswell Aliens. Their arena garage looks like an Area 51 hangar.
- Running Gag: Cain's headaches. Of course, he's Surrounded by Idiots.
- Second Place Is for Losers: After losing the championship game at the beginning, the Beers are met with hats and assorted merchandise labeled "LOSERS."
Coop: Dammit, man! I'm trying to save an innocent life!Remer: I'm giving it all I've got, Captain!
- La-Z-Boy, to Roy Hobbs' Wonderboy (a bat he carved himself from a fallen tree) in The Natural.
- The salute Coop, Remer and Squeak give at the end was copied from a touchdown celebration ("The Mile High Salute") the Denver Broncos were known for at the time.
- Star Trek jokes during the second hospital scene (Matt and Trey being huge Star Trek fans).
- South Park
- Coop psyches a guy who never misses using his Eric Cartman voice to throw him off.
- Also while talking to Remer in the locker room, for a very brief moment he uses a voice highly reminiscent to that of Mr. Garrison.
- Earlier, he also talked to Denslow briefly in a voice similar to Tweek's dad.
- "I'm the king of the world!"
- "Remember to hold your breath just before we hit-NEVER LET GO!!!"
- An in-universe example; Coop's number 44 pays homage to his sports hero Reggie Jackson who was number 44 on the Yankees.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Ted Denslow barely has 10 minutes of screentime, but it's because of his financial backing that Baseketball became a national pasttime.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: For some reason, everyone but Baxter thinks that Shaq got rich playing in college.
- "Did I just fart?"
- Stunt Double: Remer has one.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: "Warts on Your Dick"
- Take That: It's a movie by the South Park crew; The list could fill its own page.
- Those Two Guys: Coop and Remer before the NBL was established.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Squeak and his "female" fan are the extreme of this.
- Trash Talk: Psych-outs, an official part of the game.
- Un Entendre: Yvette, being a trophy wife, frequently mistakes Baxter's unconventional requests as sexual come-ons:Baxter: But you know, my (glances at groin) lobby could use a good buffing, if you know what I mean.
Yvette: I know exactly what you mean.
(Cut to Yvette struggling to use a janitor's buffer in the lobby)
- Verbal Tic: Coop and Remer mutter "cock" randomly on occasion.
- Video Wills: How Denslow leaves the team to Coop.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Ted Denslow
- You're Nothing Without Your Phlebotinum: Coop and his La-Z-Boy ball.