Film / Bang Boom Bang
Bang Boom Bang
is a German comedy movie from 1999, directed and written by Peter Thorwarth. It's the first part of his "Unna
In short: It's a dirty, but very funny movie about small criminals - a bit like an early Guy Ritchie
movie transplanted to Germany. For the full plot, see the synopsis
- The Alcoholic: Schlucke.
- The Alleged Car: Keek's mint-green Ford Taunus. After the movie, it's in even worse shape.
- Ax-Crazy: Kalle is dangerous.
- Bad Boss: Werner Kampmann.
- Bad Guys Play Pool: And make porn movies on pool tables.
- Batter Up: After finding Schlucke's corpse in Keek's car, Andy and Keek go interrogate Ratte whom Andy suspects of having murdered Schlucke. Andy wields Keek's aluminum baseball bat. Justified because both know that Ratte is probably even more of a gangster than Kalle.
- Berserk Button:
- Kalle doesn't react well when he learns that his wife appeared in a home porn movie.
- Don't throw your cigarette butt into Schlucke's grave. Andy still has some respect left for the old guy.
- Black and Gray Morality: Even the good guys are crooks in this movie.
- Black Comedy: Especially the scenes around the funeral.
- The Cameo: German star Til Schweiger plays a footballer (with fake dreadlocks and in blackface). The director also has one.
- Casanova Wannabe: Max Kampmann who tries to hit on Melanie.
- Chekhov's Gun: The video. Melanie's cell phone.
- Chekhov's Gunwoman: Melanie, intern in Kampmann's firm, who likes to play around with her cell phone. Which she uses to film Kampmann when he enters the combination.
- Cool Car:
- The Mercedes 500 SEC Kalle orders while in prison and later pimps up. Well, at least he thinks it's a cool car.
- Some say that Bang Boom Bang made the "Knudsen" Taunus cool since Keek drives one, Alleged Car or not.
- Counterfeit Cash: Hilmi gives it to Keek and tells him to mix it with real money. "They screwed us, we screw someone else. A circle, you know?" Note: The money is so fake and badly printed you even notice if you only glimpse at it.
- Crime After Crime: After breaking in at Kampmann's, stealing the safe and demolishing the building to do so, they also have to destroy a radar trap they were caught on.
- Disposing of a Body: Necessary in Schlucke's case.
- First, [[Ratte places Schlucke's corpse in Keek's car]] in order to avoid looking like his murderer (which he does anyway when Andy And Keek find the body).
- Next, Andy and Keek have to get rid of him and bury him in a forest. When they find out about the key to an airport locker full of money stuck in his windpipe, they exhume him again.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Melanie and her friend appear in bikinis (they're going to Spain after all), so the men at the x-ray machine don't notice the huge stack of paper money in her bag.
- Double Entendre: Eingelocht, the title of the porn movie.
- Dumb Blonde: Melanie, intern in Kampmann's firm. As Kampmann says, she was only hired for having perfect 90-60-90 measurements. Subverted - at the end, she takes the money!
- Easter Egg: The DVD also contains the short movie Mafia, Pizza, Razzia by Thorwarth.
- Eat the Evidence: Schlucke with the key for the locker. It's what kills him.
- Fat Bastard: Werner Kampmann.
- Fingore: When the frustrated Andy kicks the safe door shut, Keek's thumb is severed. Making things more complicated: It's in the safe now, and the safe is so warped that the door can't be opened anymore. Keek's main sorrow is that his fingerprint is now in the safe; he could just as well have left a business card behind. Keek and Andy have to have the safe welded open, and in an emergency operation, it's reattached.
- Hand Cannon: Kalle loves huge pistols.
- I Coulda Been a Contender: Schlucke.
- Important Haircut: After breaking out, Kalle cuts off his long hair. And gets a way too deep tan at the tanning studio.
- Insurance Fraud: Kampmann tries to pull this off by having Schlucke stage a burglary in his company. Schlucke, bumbling but not as stupid as Kampmann believes, decides to get his payback for 20 years of mistreatment by actually breaking in and stealing something very valuable.
- Jaded Washout: Schlucke.
- Love Interest: Melanie and Andy. It doesn't work out.
- Meaningful Name: "Schlucke" bluntly hints that he's got a drinking problem. "Ratte"... see: You Dirty Rat.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Kalle expects this from Manuela. The reality is the very opposite.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Keek (real name: Dirk), Schlucke, Ratte
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: The safe combination is 90-60-90 (Melanie's measurements, 36-24-36 in inches).
- Police Are Useless: Definitely in the one scene where they appear in Keek's apartment to look for Kalle. All the time, he's lying under the couch. And then, one policeman tries to flip a cigarette and catch it with his mouth, drops it on the floor next to Kalle - but then decides to not pick it up.
- Later, they manage to shoot Kalle and arrest Kampmann. It's like realistic police work: They catch some criminals, other ones... not.
- Punk in the Trunk: After Schlucke asphyxiated on the locker key, Ratte panicks and stuffs his corpse into the trunk of Keek's Taunus.
- Safecracking: Keek, of all people, can do it. Not however if one of his thumbs is ripped off.
- Shout-Out: When Keek calls Kampmann to try to blackmail some money from him, he calls himself Ned Flanders. Since Kampmann doesn't know The Simpsons, Keek has to explain what an honest guy Ned Flanders is.
- Steal the Surroundings: When Andy and Keek discover that Kampmann's safe (with Keeks thumb in it) cannot be opened anymore, they have to get it somewhere where it can be cut open. So they tie a chain around it, attach the other end on Keek's Taunus and drag it out of the office building and through "half the Ruhrgebiet". It has been on the second floor, and the first thing it hits after being dragged through the outer wall is Max Kampmann's BMW.
- The Stoner: Keek — level: Dude.
- Stupid Crooks:
- Tropical Epilogue: Or at least Subtropical: Noone but Melanie in Mallorca, Spain.
- Briefcase Full of Money:
- Stashed away in an airport locker. At least everyone except Melanie thinks so.
- A Suitcase Full Of Money is what Keek wants from Kampmann.
- Trunk Shot: As a Shout-Out to Pulp Fiction.
- Unwanted Assistance: When Keek and Schlucke buy the car for Kalle from the Danish gang, Andy joins them, to check whether the car is in order. Unfortunately they didn't tell him that they want to pay with fake money and have to pull this through as fast as possible.
- Vanity License Plate: Keek's Taunus has DOnote -PE 69.
- You Dirty Rat: One of the criminals is nicknamed "Ratte".
- Your Cheating Heart: Manuela - Kalle's wife who works in a video store - doesn't see why she shouldn't have sex while her husband is doing time. "Am I supposed to live like a nun?" However, acting in a porn movie may have been too much.