Revenge drama/action/comedy starring Danny Trejo
, Ron Perlman
and Charles S Dutton very loosely based on Epic Beard Man
, but expands greatly on this subject matter into areas Tom Bruso wouldn't even dream of.
Frank Vega (Trejo) is a Vietnam vet living in Los Angeles who finds himself on a bus one day when a couple of skinheads jump on and start harassing a senior citizen. Frank's protection of the man with his impressive moves
earns him the respect of the media and city; he just wants to be left alone and go on with his quiet life, but...
Seems his old war buddy Klondike has something he shouldn't, which results in tragedy... Cue Vega going on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge
Provides Examples Of:
- Advertised Extra: Ron Perlman as the mayor only features in a couple very short scenes. One wonders why you would cast a known B-movie actor like Ron Perlman as a corrupt politician who is barely in the film and who never once encounters the Danny Trejo.
- Ascended Meme: The whole point of the movie, right down to Panther saying at the end after Vega beats him up: "Somebody... send amberlamps!".
- Cool Old Guy: Frank himself.
- Combat Pragmatist: Frank's fighting style, which catches everyone save Panther completely off guard.
- Chase Scene: With city buses!
- Bad Ass:
- Beware the Nice Ones: Frank is incredibly nice and helpful to just about everyone, and he even gives people who want to fight him at least one chance to back down before the inevitable Curb-Stomp Battle ensues.
- Bond One-Liner: Not after someone has died, but after the Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique below: "Got a message from your wife. She told you to go fuck yourself! Hope you're right-handed."
- Evil Is Hammy: Panther.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lots, but mainly Vega and Mayor Williams.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: And you can bet he worked for it.
- Famed in Story: Frank.
- 100% Heroism Rating: Frank beats a bunch of people up, blows up a garage, probably killing two guys in the process, smashes a statue, several cars and parking meters, an entire glass lobby and wrecks a city bus, and what does he get? Why, he gets made an honorary police officer!
- Humble Hero: Frank gets like this when he becomes the focus of praise.
- Idiot Ball: At least two attractive women in LA leave their back doors open at night!
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Used on a Mook and later on, on Vega himself
- Mondegreen: Just like in the video. Who is Amber Lamps anyway?
- Memetic Badass: An in-universe example! Millions of people see the "YouView" video of Frank beating up the skinheads, lending him internet fame and a few favors- including a city bus.
- He's even sporting a meme-worthy I AM A MOTHERFUCKER T-shirt.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: They killed the only family he had left. They just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
- Theme Music Power-Up: In with the film's name, whenever you hear the "Bad Ass" theme song, someone's in for a world of hurt.
- Those Two Bad Guys: The skinheads from the bus. They reappear twice, and both times they completely fail to even scratch Frank, and he was tired and bleeding from a kukri slash to the leg the third time!