"Forget it Funke—it's high school"
Think Chinatown for the teenage set
While investigating the theft of his Catholic high school's SAT exams, sophomore newspaper reporter Bobby Funke (Reece Thompson) uncovers an even bigger conspiracy. But will anyone believe him when he accuses the class president? Director Brett Simon's comic noir co-stars Mischa Barton and Bruce Willis
as the unbalanced Principal Kirkpatrick, a shell-shocked Desert Storm
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council
- All-Powerful Bystander: Striedel, the guy fact-checking Bobby's story, who can contact him on any phone and knows about any plot development as soon as it's happened, but who's just The Voice hassling Bobby for his notes
- Axe Crazy: Principal Kirkpatrick
- Paul eventually snaps and tries to shoot Principal Kirkpatrick and the student council during a pep rally. It's a paint gun
- Amateur Sleuth: Bobby Funke
- Berserk Button: Kirkpatrick really hates people chewing gum
- Bratty Half-Pint: Chrissy, Paul's sister
- Catch Phrase: "The name's Bobby Funke. I write for the paper"
- Catholic School Girls Rule: Surprisingly, aside from a few Male Gaze moments, underplayed
- Femme Fatale: Francesca. She was a part of the plot to frame Paul
- Film Noir
- Hello, Nurse!: The school employs one
- Jerk Ass: Tad, Bobby's rival at the school paper, as well as the Student Council members
- Male Gaze: Bobby does this a few times throughout the movie, mostly at Francesca or Clara
- Nerd: Bobby
- Popular Is Dumb:
- Averted with Francesca and Marlon
- Subverted with Paul who is popular and seems dumb, but consider that he was good enough to be accepted into Cornell, and only took the SATs a second time to see if he could get a better score.
- Private Eye Monologue
- Running Gag: People mispronouncing Bobby's last name as "Funky." Everyone but Bobby and Striedel does it, and Bobby's so used to correcting people that he even unconsciously does it to Striedel.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Principal Kirkpatrick
- Spicy Latina: Clara
- Those Two Guys: Two guys and a girl, in this case. A trio of stoners and troublemakers who assist Bobby in minor ways throughout the movie
- The Voice: Striedel