Willpower. Horsepower. Firepower. At 180 miles per hour.Army of One (aka Joshua Tree) is an American action film from the year 1993.Dolph Lundgren stars as Wellman Santee, former race-car driver and currently a criminal. He is double-crossed during a routine assignment of hauling stolen cars and his friend Eddie is shot. A police officer is shot during the incident and his death is pinned on Santee.He later escapes from a botched execution attempt by dirty cops and sets out to get even with those who betrayed him. Along the way he kidnaps an undercover police officer Rita Merrick and things start to develop between the two...The film was originally released as Joshua Tree, but due to the popular U2 music video at the time the name was changed to the more recognised Army of One.Not to be confused with the upcoming fact-based Iraq war satire of the same title, directed by Larry Charles (Borat) and starring Nicolas Cage as an average guy who takes it upon himself to find and assassinate Osama Bin Laden.
Tropes within the film:
- Black Dude Dies First: Poor Eddie.
- Cool Car: The red Ferrari which Wellman steals from Severance's garage and later the black Lamborghini that Severence drives. Both of them were actually replicas, but still.
- Dirty Harriet: Rita is working as one prior to her kidnapping.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Michael.
- Informed Attribute: It's mentioned many times that Severence was "like a father" to Santee, but this notion isn't explored any further. Plenty of Santee's personal traits are like this, like his sense of honor.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Rudy.
- Railing Kill: In the warehouse shootout.
- Rule of Cool: The warehouse shootout was extended for the "sake of action".
- Say My Name: Wellman wakes up from his nightmare by bolting up and screaming Eddie's name.
- Shower Scene: Rita (actually her actor's body double) goes to shower while she is staying in the motel with Santee.