''Amusement'' is an American 2008 horror film directed by John Simpson and starring Creator/KatherynWinnick, Laura Breckenridge and Jessica Lucas. The film went direct-to-video in January 2009. It is the last film to be distributed by Picturehouse Entertainment.
Three women are faced with a psychopath with a penchant for sadism and twisted humour from their childhood.
!!Tropes presented by this film:
* AbsurdlyIneffectiveBarricade: Tabitha uses one in the form of a cupboard that she puts on a front of a door. The Laugh effortlessly pushes out the drawers from behind and climbs straight through.
* AllAccordingToPlan: For a while, it seemed that The Laugh had every move planned out to completely trap Tabitha. [[spoiler:Then the truck stalled]].
* BadPeopleAbuseAnimals: The Laugh abused a rat as a kid, it's pretty clear he's the bad guy.
* BigBad: The Laugh, a sick invidual who is after the three women who he knew from his childhood.
* BondOneLiner: [[spoiler:Said by Tabitha after she stabs The Laugh in the face with one of his weapons]].
--> "Now ''that'' was funny!"
* CellPhonesAreUseless: Lisa's phone isn't but how she uses it is. She ''could'' have used ti to call the cops but that would ruin the plot.
* CreepyBasement: The one in The Laugh's cabin is ''so'' creepy and so unreasonably big, many fans mistook it for ''[[Literature/HarryPotterAndTheChamberOfSecrets Chamber of Secrets]]''.
* CreepyChild: The Laugh, as a child, though that gutting animals was a funny thing to do. He puts a rat into a torture rack, slices open its stomach, and stretches it open with hooks and asks "is it funny".
* CreepyDoll: [[spoiler: Subverted by having the doll actually be The Laugh sitting very, very still.]]
* CruelAndUnusualDeath: The Laugh [[spoiler: stitches people into beds and leaves them for death. And he later does the same thing to Tabitha's friends or so it seemed at first.]]
* DeathTrap: Of the "closing walls" kind.
* DirectToVideo: After being kicked around for months and never getting a theatrical release, ''Amusement'' was put onto DVD where it flopped.
* TheDollEpisode: Tabitha's Babysitter plot in Act 2 has being surrounded and creeped by clown dolls.
* EvilLaugh: The film's calling card, so much so that the villain is credited as "The Laugh". The laugh is pushed by the story itself to be the killer's most distinguishing trait.
** [[spoiler: Happens when Tabitha stabs the Laugh in the face with his own weapon.]]
** [[spoiler: Lisa's boyfriend Dan is also killed this way when the Laugh has his "metal scope victrola" shoot a dart into his eye from the phonograph horn. Because it can.]]
* FinalGirl: [[spoiler: Tabitha.]]
* ForTheEvulz: The Laugh finds mutilation and murder a funny thing to do. His whole plan revolves around being a sadistic asshole for the sole reason that it's funny to him.
* IdiotPlot: The plot hinges on a lot of characters acting like idiots such as the therapist not telling Tabitha [[spoiler: they're in a creepy basement and not a police building]] or the killer making an elaborate deathtrap to torment and kill three women or Tabitha tossing away her only means of defense and finally the Laugh [[spoiler: not taking his knife out of the back of his truck and then looking through the peephole]].
* HellHotel: The Laugh owns that hasn't been used for years as evident by all the dust and upturned chairs. Whether or not it's connected to the cabin via the dungeon of a basement is unclear.
* HiddenInPlainSight: Very poorly too! [[spoiler:The Laugh pretends to be a clown doll in the guest bedroom... despite being a ''life-size'' "doll" and the only scary looking one out of them all.]] It still works.
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: The Laugh [[spoiler: gets killed by his own weapon, while looking through his peephole to taunt Tabitha no less]].
* OminousMusicBoxTune: The "metal scope victrola" is basically a large music box and plays a creepy song [[spoiler: that shoots darts from the phonograph horn]].
* OnceIsNotEnough: [[spoiler: Just stabbing the Laugh in the neck with a scalpel barely slows him down.]]
* PowerTrio: Tabitha, Shelby and Lisa used to be this when they were kids.
* PsychopathicManChild: The Laugh hadn't changed for years, remaining the same sick little kid for years.
* MonsterClown: [[spoiler:The Laugh hides in plain sight in the second segment by dressing in a clown costume that's lacking its nose]].
* NobodyHereButUsStatues: [[spoiler: The Laugh pretends to be a (large) clown doll in a room full of clown dolls.]]
* UrbanLegends: The film is practically a rehash of popular urban legends mashed into a single storyline. The 'clown doll' story in the second act is a particularly notable example.
* StockScream: The Wilhelm Scream and a woman's scream make a ridiculous appearance for little reason.
* TheWallsAreClosingIn: [[spoiler: The torture chamber has a huge room with glass walls that close in onto Tabitha just so The Laugh can torment her some more.]]
* TroublingUnchildlikeBehavior: The Laugh tormented a rat for his class project and then had harbored a grudge for years because three girls didn't think it was "funny".