Somewhere, somewhere in the black night
Shining eyes follow your stride...Amsterdamned
— "Amsterdamned" by Lois Lane
is a Dutch horror thriller movie from 1988 by Dick Maas (The Lift
The film is set in the eponymous (damned!) capital, where a Serial Killer
wearing scuba gear is prowling in the city canals and uses them to get to his victims.
Amsterdam was damned by:
- Animal Reaction Shot: From a cat, during the raft attack.
- Ankle Drag: Happens to the second environmentalist.
- Artistic License - Gun Safety: Eric's daughter Anneke is introduced trying to scare him with his gun, which he just left lying around, apparently loaded.
- Ate His Gun: The killer, and a harpoon gun at that.
- Attempted Rape: A taxi driver tries to force the prostitute he's accompanying to perform oral sex on him. Unfortunately for him, she bites.
- Big Damn Heroes: Eric and Vermeer arriving just as Laura is about to be dragged under by the killer.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: The prostitute's body is hung from a bridge, and ends up entering a tour boat filled with (among others) young children and nuns.
- California Doubling The movie was actually filmed in Utrecht, another Dutch city with an abundance of canals.
- Carry a Big Stick: When she thinks he's the killer, Laura beats Martin with a boat oar.
- Chase Scene: Two; the first one has the police chasing a suspect on a motorcycle, and the second one has Eric chase the actual killer on boats they commandeer.
- Epic Fail: The main suspect tries to jump an opening bridge on his motorcycle, and fails rather badly.
- Eye Scream: "Her eyes were already fish food." There's also something wrong with one of the sailor victim's eye.
- Facial Horror: When the killer's face is finally revealed, it's pretty fucked up.
- Fan Disservice: The prostitute's naked, mutilated body.
- Fight Scene: An underwater one, between John and the killer.
- Friend to Psychos: Martin, though rather unknowingly.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: The killer's gear is black, and he steals a black speedboat, while John's gear is yellow, and Eric chases after the killer's boat with a yellow one.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: The main suspect lost his job when he attacked someone with a broken bottle in a drunken rage.
- Groin Attack: The taxi driver getting bit, and the raft victim getting knifed.
- Harpoon Gun: Vermeer gets shot in the arm with one, while Eric sustains a shot to the shoulder a bit later. The killer also commits suicide with one.
- Hope Spot: The second environmentalist swims to shore and flags down a passing truck, but is dragged underwater before help can reach him.
- Hostile Weather: It suddenly becomes stormy during the finale.
- I Know Karate: "No reason to be afraid, I do judo."
- Jerk Ass: The taxi driver, and the suspect.
- Man Bites Man: The first victim deals with the taxi driver trying to force her to perform fellatio on him via biting.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: After his buddy disappears from their boat, the second environmentalist pulls in the anchor, and discovers his friend's head impaled on it. Later on, John is scared when a dead sailor pops out of a closet while he is exploring a sunken ship.
- Pie in the Face: Eric stops a bakery robbery by handcuffing the robber, and slamming his face into a cake. It is evidently delicious.
- Pipe Pain: While doing her own little investigation with Willy, Anneke grabs one.
- Portmantitle: Amsterdam + damned.
- Ramp Jump: With boats!
- Red Herring: The most prominent one being Martin.