- "James Bond" is a code name that comes with the 007 ranking. This originally started as a joke to "explain" the different actors that have played him. Now it causes debates that can rage for hours, and explanations on how precisely it melds with the films' Canon extends into Wild Mass Guessing territory.
- The corollary to this theory is that Felix Leiter is likewise a code name within the CIA.
- The other popular explanation for Bond's different appearances? Time Lord. Each incarnation is a new regeneration, emphasising some personality traits and downplaying others (How exactly Diamonds Are Forever fits in is left as an exercise to the reader. Perhaps he was "revisiting some old faces"? ). You can even argue that he has a Time Lord-esque title -the Doctor, the Master and... the Bachelor. note
- If you must include Daniel Craig's Bond, there's even a relatively easy solution. Time travel!
- Ian Fleming intended for Bond to have died at the ambiguous end of From Russia with Love. His recovery was all off-page, merely stated by M at the beginning of Dr. No and never touched upon in Bond's internal narration. Here's where the code-name theory hits the books.
- 007's "Bond, James Bond", "Shaken, not stirred", and "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!"
- "Oh, James!"
- "Now pay attention, 007..."
- Most of the films are often referred to by their acronyms, i.e. TLD for The Living Daylights. More amusingly, this is why The World Is Not Enough is sometimes referred to as Twine.
Common Fan Fic TropesExamples should be tropes that show up often in fanfic which are not just taken purely from canon:
- Patchwork Fic — Classic!Bond villains and events being referenced/included in Reboot!Bond's backstory. (Alec Trevelyan is particularly popular for this).
- Some of the classic characters even appeared as unlockable characters in multiplayer modes of video games based on the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies. Assuming the Brosnan Bond movies are in a separate continuity of their own.