Fanfic Recs: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth getting sent to the stars for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
http://www.fanfiction.net/r/8286941/' href='/pmwiki/review_add.php?g=FanficRecs&tt= http://www.fanfiction.net/r/8286941/'>http://www.fanfiction.net/r/8286941/'>Add Review
Assemble! Yu-Tagonists by driftingstar
Authors, and Websites''Snibbity Dibbity
- Recommended by Very Melon
- This author has written a Trilogy of Next Gen Fic, the first two staring the Spin-Offspring of Yugi Motou participating in the Gx Canon, and the third(and still in progress) proper Next Gen Fic staring an original adventure. The second fic contains NSFW material.
- Recommended by Very Melon
- Synopsis: Set fifteen years after Jaden's graduation, this story follows the high school life of Mikey Angel, a young beginner who's just starting his life at Duel Academy.
- Recommended by deathcaker123
- Synopsis: Based on the Tag Force games, it's a story that follows Red Hat "Konami" on his adventures through Duel Academy. It also has a completed 5D's counterpart.
- Recommended by Man Called True, Heleentje, moberemk
- Synopsis: Houseguest by SilvorMoon begins with Manjoume being ordered to come home for summer break by his brothers. Unable to refuse, he decides to keep them distracted... by bringing Fubuki.
- Comments: Hilarity Ensues (meant unironically).
- Heleentje: Wholeheartedly seconded. In fact, everything by SilvorMoon is pretty amazing.
- Recommended by Naruto Uzumaki 7
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: An Alternate Take on the first season of the anime. Jaden has a disabled twin brother in this story, knows about his past as Haou, and has Yubel with him right from the start.
- Comments: This is a well written story that shows just how different the story could've gone down had Jaden had a twin and known about a few little things prior to his first year at Duel Academy. It takes detours from the story of the anime and expands upon key events to enhance the flow. Lots of twists in this one that'll satisfy any fan of the anime and any reader. Well written and developed original characters, especially Jaden's twin, as well as interesting takes on existing characters. It has everything you could want in a story. Angst, drama, friendship, family, you name it. I highly recommend it. A spin off and Season 2 are in the works as of now!
- Recommended by RubberLotus, Timber!
- Synopsis: A retelling of the second season focusing on Misawa, and why he joined the Society of Light. Contains slight AU.
- Comments: If you're angry over Misawa's Demoted to Extra treatment in the series, fear not. This fanfiction proves that there are people out there who care about him. This fic also provides insights on how the way that the Society gets its members is More Than Mind Control, and no character is left flat. Note that there aren't a lot of duels, though.
- Timber!: Seconded. In this Troper's opinion, it told the Society of Light arc better than the canon did, and in a way that made much more sense.
- Recommended by HeroSlayer
- Synopsis: An Alternate Universe fanfic that is based more on the manga. A more serious look at the first year at Duel Academy, with more competent villains and a darker plot.
- Comments: You've probably seen several of these, but this it's well written. Features loads of original characters that are three dimensional. A much darker look at the GX Duel Academy swamped with threats that will end the world.
- Troublethecat: For one thing the fic Gender Swaps Kaiser Ryo, Samejima and Hayato simply because the author doesn't think there's enough important female characters in the cast, but also turns Those Two Girls Junko and Momoe into more important characters for the same reason. Also The Author replaces the Seven Stars with the Eight Phases of the Cursed Wave, and then has the audacity to have The Epitaph of Twilight be a real poem in the setting without The World also existing in the story, thus making the whole thing all the more ridiculous and out of place. Not to mention the Subject of the Hannibal Lecture Kaiser Ryoko is given to convince her to give in to her dark side. Ugh. And then there's what the Author did to Daitokuji, turning him into an unrepentant cackling villain before promptly killing him off. Also, Asuka, who goes from being competent to rapidly approaching Black Hole Sue territory in the Sequel by way of avoiding being brainwashed by Saiou despite losing to him in a duel, AND being seen as more of a threat to his plans than Juudai is for some reason. I could go on even further than this, but I should really stop here. A lot of things about this series just grinds my nerves, but it's well written enough that I'm sure plenty people will like it anyway and it's at least worth taking a look at.
- LilyNadesico2: I, on the other hand, reccomend this. It's well written, the characters are actually well developed, and it avoids the wallbanger moments that destroyed the canon series in my book. Definitely worth a look.
- Recommended by Higuchimon, Kaiserin Kai
- Synopsis: This is set post-canon and involves mainly Juudai, Johan, and Yubel, with appearances by other canon characters at various points as Juudai travels. The general plot involves a force known as Chaos and the search for the incarnation of Good Light, which could be much closer to Juudai than he thinks, in more ways than one.
- Comments: This story has now been completed and is still absolutely wonderful. The original characters are well written and believable, a rarity in this fandom, and the plot is well thought out and even more well crafted. Be prepared to have your every heartstring tugged, even the ones you didn't know you had.
- Recommended by: The Otaku Ninja
- Synopsis: This is poetry dedicated to Duel Academy's Kaiser...Zane Truesdale or Ryo Marufuji, whatever you wish to address him by. Criticism is allowed. Fourth part, addressing his Dragons and his brother.
- Comments: Like it says above, this is a series of poems about Ryo Marufuji/Zane Truesdale that reads almost like an epic about his rise to power, his fall into darknes, and beyond. Very nicely done, and very emotional.
- Recommended by: Magic Kirby
- Pairing: Jaden/Alexis
- Synopsis: 5 years after graduation Jaden still hadn't confessed his love to Alexis & now she's getting married to someone else! Now Jaden must travel back in time reliving the awful memories and also to confess his feelings before somebody else does! Fianceshipping
- Comments: Jaden only gets to travel back in time to when one of the pictures were taken and thus only gets a short amount to try and change what happened in that particular picture. UPDATE: This story will be continued by Scarlet Lycrois at Fanfiction.Net [http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2220216/TrixieCherry]
Crossover FicsKamen Rider GX by Fenikkusumaru
- Recommended by: Starlight AT
- Status: Complete
- Crossover with: Kamen Rider and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- Synopsis: Kamen Rider. They are masked heroes that protect mankind. Armed within the Deck, Kurogasa Kururugi ventures out to the prestigious Duel Academy as he sets on his journey to find his father and determine the path of his destiny. Henshin!
- Comments: A very good read for those who want a Yu-Gi-Oh! and Kamen Rider Crossover. It starts off rather slow but it picks up speed and leaves you wanting more. Many OC involvement and many divergences from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! GX so it isn't a complete rewrite of the anime series with added characters. Season 2 is in the works.
- Now with a TV Tropes page!! here
- Recommended by fsdfsdfsd
- Synopsis: Crossover with all five Yugioh anime series. In which Atem has some doubts about the current team assignments. Secret agent AU. Drabble Collection.