Fanfic Recs: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth claiming a feather for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by tsubasafan, cloverfield.
- Mostly known for their Fairytale AU's, it will be hard to find a fic you won't like. Features mostly Kuro/Fai, but there are several with rare pairings such as Kuroparents and Watanuki/Kohane.
- Recommended by tsubasafan, cloverfield, LilienneSuzumiya.
- Relativly new to the fandom, uakari120 produces great fic after great fic with in depth worlds, massive-crossovers (as it is CLAMP), and wonderful characterization. Mostly Kuro Fai, but there are many other pairings as well.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Reversal of Fate
by Tonight's The Night
Lillies Upon our Graves
- Recommended by Nimmxx
- Synopsis: What if Syaoran had lost his memories instead of Sakura? How would their journey change if she was the one trying to find his feathers? AU.
- Comments: An interesting take on what would have happened if Syaoran had been the one to lose his memories. With such a key element having changed, the characters and their relationships develop in a different way as compared to what we saw in the manga. Canons worlds are replaced with a few original ones but the detail and thought put behind the working of every world definitely makes this story a fun read. Currently ongoing.
by Obsidian Buterfly
Tsubasa Crossover Chronicle
- Recommended by SeriousBusiness
- Synopsis: The last of his wounds- including the broken arm- healed up and tired golden eyes looked up at him. "Syaoran-kun." Fai was vaguely aware of the tears trailing down his cheeks as he stared at the boy. "I'm sorry." Warnings: Post-TRC, AU, possible character deaths.
- Comments: The premise is well-developed and interesting, and the writing style pulls you in and refuses to let go. This fic features the main TRC team, as well as well-developed original characters and a complex world. Ongoing.
by The Violent Tomboy
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by bunnypie
- Synopsis: Crazy (and sometimes stupid) things inevitably happen when worlds collide. A collection of crossover one shots featuring the gang in funny situations as they travel through many familiar (and unfamiliar) series. Plenty of crack ensues.
- Comments: Each chapter features a different series in which the gang wind up and they usually get into hilarious hijinks with the characters there. All characters are relatively in character, not to mention a lot of the spotlight is on Kurogane, either exasperated with the world's very premise or being the plain ol' Butt Monkey. Still ongoing with over 50 chapters; even if one is unfamiliar with any single series, it is still easy to follow and enjoy.
- Just be prepared for the authoress to step on a soapbox for the filler chapters.
- Recommended by Huilisti
- Pairing(s): Kurogane/Fai (What a surprise...), slight Syaoran/Sakura (but they're only minor characters)
- Synopsis: An AU-fic with Fai's first person POV. "There's something a little too eerie about Hail Valley. With the unlikely alliance of a certain red eyed neighbor, Fai attempts to understand what makes this new town so unnerving, but stumbles upon answers much more frightening than he bargained for.."
- Comments: This fic made me realize why so many people like Kuro/Fai. The characterization is nearly perfect, the pairing works really well, and the occasional CLAMP crossovers with e.g. Chobits make the fic really good. The fic is creepy and funny, and it manages to surprise the reader many times. Just go and read it. :) Huilisti apologizes that as a Finn she can't find the proper English words to describe this fic.
- Recommended by Huilisti
- Pairing(s): Kurogane/Fai, Syaoran/Sakura
- Synopsis: A direct continuation for Hail Valley. "Fai decides it's time for some new scenery. Along Sakura, Syaoran, and new housemate Kurogane, they leave Hail Valley for a long camping weekend. Little do they know that tormenting spirits and evil ghosts are ready and waiting for them at Collista Lake..."
- Comments: Just as good as the previous fic, at least this far. :) More creepiness, ghosts, great character interaction and CLAMP crossovers. A well-written sequel.
by Shadow over Egypt
Reasons to Drink
- Recommended by Zashiki-Warashi
- Pairing(s): Mainly Kurogane/Fai
- Synopsis: Fairytale is a very trying place. Children get abandoned; loves fall under evil spells, and members of royalty get abducted on a regular basis. Still, if it's 'Happy Ever After' you're looking for, it's obligatory to start with 'Once Upon a Time...'
- Comments: It does eventually lean into Everyone Is Gay territory, largely because the hetero relationships keep hitting snags (though no worse than their canon counterparts) and most, if not all, of the pairing are at least hinted at originally. All of that aside, the best parts are how everyone continues to act like themselves and that the author really knows how to roll with the fairytale motifs. Half the fun is seeing how another CLAMP character will turn up.
The Wizards of Ceres
- Recommended by Huilisti
- Pairing(s): Syaoran/Sakura (yay!)
- Synopsis: Short looks at the times when Syaoran and Sakura got drunk and what happened then. (Gah, I suck at these synopsises. Too tired to think...)
- Comments: Every chapter starts from the canon facts, sometimes telling them from a different point of view, and moves on to what CLAMP didn't show us in the manga. It's well-written and a joy to read after all those Kuro/Fai fics.
- Recommended by Zashiki-Warashi, cloverfield
- Pairing(s): Kurogane/Fai
- Synopsis: Ceres and Nihon are on the brink of war, and Kurogane and Fai must struggle to balance their loyalties to their home countries with the pressing demands of survival - for themselves, their countries, and for their world.
- Comments: Damn, what to say. The characterization is spot on, the plot intriguing, and the fic doesn't ignore the fact that the two main characters are on the opposing sides of a war. After much waiting, the author has completed the sequel, The Heralds of the White God (which has added Syaoran/Sakura to the mix).
Never Let Me Go
- Recommended by tsubasafan
- Pairing(s): Kurogane/Fai, Syaoran/Sakura, and many others,
- Synopsis: As a child Fai is sent away from the cruel life he has had to endure only to wind up a stray in the Tokyo ward, Otthon. Years later, he finds a comrade in Kurogane and the people of the wards as war looms on the horizon.
- Comments: An ongoing fic. The relationships bewteen all the characters (including the few OC's here and there)has familiarity with it while at the same time having it's differences. Several characters aren't exactly like those from canon, but they are interesting like this, even some of the antagonists are given a more positive light here. Well written and definitely a fic you want to keep updated on.
- Recommended by tsubasafan, cloverfield
- Pairing(s): (hinted/eventual)Kurogane/Fai, (hinted)Syaoran/Sakura, few others
- Synopsis: The events that lead to the beginning of Tsubasa is stopped. Fai and several other children from the multiverse's are sent to another world in order to live in an orphange with Ashura. Kurogane, however, is sent to live with Sonomi (CCS). Shows Kurogane, Fai, and Syaraon growing up in this new world together.
- Comments: An ongoing fic. One of the most interesting ideas for a fic I've seen in a long time. You never get to see what the characters are really like as children in the manga and this fic manages to make the characterizations both believable and good. There are plenty of questions unanswered as the fic starts to delve into its main plot.
- cloverfield: I've never read a kidfic quite like this one; it takes the characters and gives them believable, painful development that still manages to be heart-warming in the right places, and is beginning to show the way the TRC universe as we know it might be different if the cast had been allowed to grow up together.
Lost in Translation
- Recommended by cloverfield, Zelinxia, SilverStar
- Pairing(s): Kurogane/Fai, Syaoran/Sakura, Doumeki/Watanuki, quite a few others
- Synopsis: Real-world AU massive crossover fic, focusing mainly on the plot and characters from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHOLiC, but featuring a fair few other characters and CLAMP references. As the author has stated, "It's AU because it's set in modern-day America. No magic. No monsters. No vampires. No destiny. No time travel. Just a group of people struggling to survive the hand they've been dealt—together." Tropes page here.
- Comments: This is one of the most detailed, believable and incredible fic I have ever read. At times painful, at times laugh-out-loud funny, I cannot recommend this enough to any CLAMP fan.
- Comments: SECONDED. Everyone's IC and the plot transfers surprisingly well.
- Comments: THIRDED. Even though it's recommended you have read Tsubasa and xxxHolic, I think people who never read CLAMP's works can enjoy it. That's how great this work is.
- Comments: FOURTHED. This Fic was really amazing and the author clearly did proper research. I would also recommend reading the author's other fics.
by Sunlight through Leaves
- Recommended by cloverfield
- Pairing: Kurogane/Fai
- Synopsis: Post-series fic focusing on the relationship between Fai and Kurogane when an error in translation -and an assumption they're married- sparks a chain of events in a world based on the steam-punk genre. Inspired in part by this piece of fanart. Tropes page here.
- Comments: Although the fic is quite short (and still updating) a lot happens in four chapters, and the simple translation error reveals itself to be a massive error of communication between Kurogane and Fai that symbolises their relationship wonderfully. The world this fic is set in is fascinating, and the culture intriguing; the plot moves fast and features a well-structured antagonist and some believeable and likeable OC's. A great fic that is building up to a great climax!