Fanfic Recs: Tomb Raider
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
GM by Ostercy
GM by Ostercy
- Recommended by Spark Moon
- Pairings: Lara Croft/Jacqueline Natla (femslash)
- Synopsis: From the original summary: Natla of Atlantis is the mistress of genetic modification, as Lara discovers to her personal cost.
- Comments: One of the older Tomb Raider fan fics around (it uses the Core-era characterizations of the characters, so anyone more familiar with the Crystal Dynamics-era characterizations will be in for a bit of a shock), it's one of the more surreal stories around. Lara gets genetically modified, has a (short-lived) relationship with her archnemesis Natla and, well... it's one of those stories that must be read to be fully comprehended. I, for one, appreciated the unconventional take on Miss Croft's world. (The other stories in the Tomb In The Earth anthology are hit-or-miss and equally surreal as GM)
- Recommended by JJ Yue
- Pairings: Lara Croft/Alex West
- Synopsis: Lara Croft travels to Singapore, and along with old flame Alex West, uncover the truth of the mythical crown of Utama, and in unfamiliar lands must fight the influential forces who hope to wield the crown's power. Lara and Alex encounter strange underwater caverns, murderous mercenary pirates, a powerful corporate executive, a helicopter dogfight above the streets of Thailand, a submersible chase and the titular artifact.
- Comments: This piece of fan-fiction is mostly a very easy read. The style is informal, but descriptive and engaging. The author mixes in multiple lines of continuity, blending them with the right degree of ambiguity and artistic license - references are made to both films, the original game continuity, and the games up to "Anniversary". The author, evidently a Singaporean, relishes in the description of his country, and of Thailand - painting both locales as exotic, but far from the idealised pardise often portrayed in Western culture. The dialogue is quite funny and there are several in-jokes worked into the plot - it does sometimes go overboard, but "Jedd" manages to stick to a story that doesn't seem out of place in Tomb Raider lore, and doesn't mess too much with existing canon. Not to mention a good number of action sequences, most quite decent.
- Recommended by Retro7
- Pairings: Lara Croft, OC David Connors
- Synoposis: Set during the Core Continuity, the story is about Lara meeting a hired hand named David Connors, a former policemen who lost his wife and daughter. The two strike up a friendship through their many adventures dealing with the supernatural, rival hunters and mob bosses that eventually blossoms into something more.
- Comments: A very old piece of work and a bit dated (it references Disney's Hercules, the old PS1 era and Lara and David even meet Jackie Chan at one point while he's filming Operation Condor) but it's a very engaging read nonetheless that handles the pairing quite naturally. David is a very likeable character and the author is obviously a fan of this era as he uses many if the story elements to help create his own adventures. Fair warning the first few chapters are a bit jumbled due to the site having shifted formats over the years. It's still quite readable if you don't mind it.