Truth, Beauty by canis m
- Recommended by Joie De Combat
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Youko has questions.
- Comments: A little snapshot of a fic that touches on Youko's efforts at understanding her new world and makes an insightful observation or two in the process, as well as being very funny at several points without actually being comedic. The tone of the narrative eloquently conveys Youko's wry exasperation, and captures the characterizations of both Rakushun and Shouryuu in little more than one sentence apiece.
- Recommended by Jack Inqu 13
- Status: Dead
- Synopsis: One hundred years into Youko's rule, and the kingdom of Kou is still without a monarch.
- Comments: An amusing look into the Twelve Kingdoms universe one hundred years after Youko begins her rule. Only two chapters and rarely updated, but well worth reading.
- Recommended by: Sheliak
- Status: Complete
- Pairing: Yoko/Rakushun, Keiki/hilarious social incompetence (as says the author)
- Synopsis: Yoko comes to En to attend Rakushun's graduation from the university.
- Comments: I love how this fic treats the characters and their relationships- it introduces a romance between Yoko and Rakushun in a way that feels true to canon, and it doesn't ignore the other characters or Yoko's responsibility to Kei in the process. The story is about Kei as much as it is about Yoko and Rakushun- Yoko and her court working to make Kei a better place, Rakushun's choice between his home of Kou, where he could never make a difference; Kei, where he could; and En, where he could have a much easier life but isn't actually needed. Their interactions, Shoukei's plans for the future, Suzu's and Keiki's different worries- it's all very true to the series, with the characters' personal lives so bound up with the kingdom that sometimes it's hard to tell where one starts and the other begins.