Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being dragged around the walls of Troy behind Achilles' chariot for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
The Iliad With Zombies
by White Rabbit Asylum
- Recommended by: Enunciability
- Synopsis: The Iliad with zombies. Set in the fifth year of the...modern-day Trojan War.
- Comments: Flat-out brilliant. The author doesn't hesitate to poke fun at Homer's idiosyncrasies, like his frequent reminders that Athena has grey eyes. Every scene is hilarious and filled with great lines. I think the one highlighting Patrocles and Achilles' subtext-laden relationship deserves a special mention for making me do a Spit Take. Unfortunately, it seems to be a Dead Fic.
The Song of Achilles
- Recommended by: Skotos, Schizo Technician
- Synopsis: A Trojan guy called Aeneas escapes from Troy with his dad Anchises. They wander around places and kill lots of people. Oh, and it has something to do with Rome.
- Comments: A bit obscure, not many people have heard of it. Except perhaps for Latin students...
by Madeline Miller
- Recommended by Animeg3282
- Synopsis An exiled boy named Patroclus meets a beautiful and fascinating boy named Achilles in the palace of Pthia. This book describes in beautiful prose how they grow into love, and how the prophecy and the Trojan War changes Achilles... and Patroclus. Great characterization - the ancient Greeks leap off the page.
- Comments - Achilles/Patroclus is canon in this book.