Fanfic Recs: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Word of warning: Cool Shades
and tons of drills
do not automatically make a good TTGL fanfic.
They do, however, get bonus points.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
by CaptainOsaka (AU
In Jiiha Village
- Recommended by Irothtin, Fishsicles, Angry Scientist, STK, Extraintrovert, MadCormorant, Sithking Zero, Vyctorian, Miss Romantic Tragedy, AFuzzyWarmBlanket, SqueakyPickles
- Synopsis: A Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fancomic. Take all of the epic Hot-Blooded goodness, and change it into a Buddy Cop Show. Has its own page DOUBLE K.
- Recommended by Shay Guy, Scullery
- Synopsis: A one-shot about the lives of the Gossipy Hens from the first episode, with cameos from Nia and Simon.
by Verg Of Towels
Matters of Time
- Recommended by Red Savant
- Synopsis: A fairly short one-shot about what Viral's been up to since the fall of Teppelin. Quite well-written, and fairly poignant at times.
Nucleotide: The Aftermath of Lordgenome
, co-written by Zaru
and 1 over 0
The Rise and Fall of Captain Garlock
- Recommended by Amitakartok
- Synopsis: "Lordgenome has fallen, but the Dai-Gurren Brigade will fight a new enemy. Nia's brother and the new Spiral King."
- Has not updated in a very long time.
, by 1 over 0
Words Without a Voice
- Recommended by foxmccloud4387, highly seconded by Miss Romantic Tragedy
- Synopsis: "The events of Gurren Lagann's prologue have long been open to speculation from fans. Herein lies the story of the great Captain Garlock, formerly Simon the Digger, who would take on the heavens themselves."
- Confirmed a Dead Fic by the author, though he has expressed interest in one day picking the project back up again.
, by Zaru
Writing Spiral History
- Recommended by Amitakartok
- Synopsis: "A boy found in a mountain... A girl who is fighting an empire... A Brigade seeking to aim for the top... A dark shadow behind the decaying king... Two men: One - to pierce the heavens, the Other - to destroy it."
, by Ayala Atreides
Tengen Toppa Gurren Solvernia
- Recommended by foxmccloud4387
- Synopsis: "Hundreds of years in the future, Viral has taken on the role of eternal storyteller, chronicling the history of the Spiral Race. But who knew it'd be such an annoying job? Pure crack, contains mild swearing."
by RandomNumbers523156 (link
The World Tree
- Recommended by ether75
- Synopsis "AU. What if Nia was born in Jiha and Simon in Teppelin? This is the story of a woman who has yet to realize what her destiny is. This is the story of Nia the Digger."
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Sound of Pulling Heaven Down
- Recommended by OZ 1219, RN 452
- Synopsis: "Years after the Anti-Spiral's defeat, Yoko's pupil Nakim fights to establish humanity's place in the universe - and find his own."
by CSakuraS (AU
- Recommended by Kgkemo, Some Poor Sod, Zelenal, Extraintrovert, RN 452
- Pairing(s): Simon/Nia
- Synopsis: An Alternate Universe taking place ten years after the original Time Skip that goes with the prospect of 'What if Simon and Nia hadn't met before her transformation?'. Simon has become Captain GARlock, the Earth was destroyed, and the Dai-Gurren Brigade is traveling the galaxy fighting the Anti-Spirals. Everything looks like shit, until he meets Nia for the first time.
A Hole In The Sky
- Recommended by Drashian
- Pairing(s): Yoko/Viral
- Synopsis: A year since the final battle, Viral is, naturally, restless. So he tries to go on vacation. What starts as an already bad idea becomes a huge problem when Yoko shows up. Awkwardness ensues.
by Tobu Ishi
The Good Die Laughing
- Recommended by moberemk, inklesspen, RN 452, Omicronus
- Pairing(s): Simon/Nia
- Synopsis: Another take on the wedding at the end of the series.
Under the Moon
- Recommended by Rain Normally, Ariel Spark
- Pairing(s): Kamina/Yoko
- Synopsis: After Kamina's death, Yoko tries to move on and find happiness.
Your Drill of Hope is also my Own
- Recommended by Not JM Keynes
- Pairing(s): Rossiu/Kinon
- Synopsis: A oneshot involving Rossiu and Kinon, before Team Dai-Gurren's last mission.
by Anomyous Ninja
Gift of the Magi
- Recommended by Overlord Zaru, STK
- Pairing(s): Simon/Yoko, though it is friendly to Simon/Nia and Kamina/Yoko/Kittan.
- Synopsis: One-shot. After the Final battle, Yoko is spending time on her island until Simon drops by. It's basically one big Crowning Moment of Heartwarming With a touch of Tear Jerker.
Kamina of the Revolution
- Recommended by RN 452, Link Season Master
- Pairing(s): Simon/Nia, and others.
- Synopsis: "This is the story of a man who had made an uneasy peace with his Destiny. Sacrificing everything for the sake of his people, he had resigned himself to wander the Surface for the rest of his days cherishing the memories of his loved ones. Destiny would visit upon the man one final time, forever changing him in ways he would never have conceived."
- The fic underwent a rewrite, under the name of Turn the Phase, in which adds some things like Simon having an apprentice and Simon and Nia's unborn child spirit as an antagonist.
There's Nothing to Be Afraid Of We Live On As One Let's Go, My Friends
- Recommended by Tropers/Banchoking
- Crossing over with: Series/Code Geass.
- Synopsis: After Kamina dies, he finds himself in the slums of Area Eleven. Takes place at the very start of the first season of Code Geass. I was skeptical at first, but this is easily one of if not THE best fanfic I've ever read. Characterization is perfect and Kamina's choatic (insane) personality really spices up the normally dark and depressing world of Code Geass without ever leaving character or completely ruining the actual characters or events. If anything, he makes a good show BETTER! Read it if you love either series.
Breakfast At The End of the World
- Recommended by: Darth, Gunbazca
- Crossing over with: Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- Synopsis: A trio of comics by Pixiv artist rokudena-shi parodying three of Gurren Lagann's most iconic scenes.
- Warning: Some site ads are NSFW.
Neon Toppa EVA Lagann
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883, Extraintrovert
- Crossing over with: Doctor Who.
- Synopsis: Years after the main series ends, weary Viral encounters the Doctor from Doctor Who and becomes his new companion.
by The Qing.
- Recommended by Sithking Zero
- Synopsis: "Just as the battle with the 14th Angel takes a turn for the worst, a mysterious red robot covered with drills crashes in from the heavens; changing the course of the fight and the EVA universe forever. Evangelion/Gurren Lagann crossover."
by Lord of the Saiyans
TTGLX: So this is the Heavens
- Recommended by Parasurd
- Crossing over with: Warhammer 40k
- Synopsis:"A new world is drawn into the Eye of Terror, but when the Chaos force sent to raid it is destroyed, Chaos finds itself up against an enemy it has never seen before. The universe of 40K will never be the same!"
- Recommended by Link Season Master
- Crossing over with: Bleach
- Synopsis:"Follows Kamina after his death. Set in the Bleach universe centuries after the canon. Kamina takes on death much as in life, fighting all that stands in his way. Dark forces are about though that threaten both the Soul Society and his friends on Earth."