Fanfic Recs: Slayers
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Slayers fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page. Page Reconfiguration in Progress: Fanfic Recommendations is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropiate category, and to format it according to the template.
Of Life and Lemonade by J. Rhaye
Authors and WebsitesAnything by Davner
- Recommended by Will Z
- Comments: One of the more interesting ones is Slayers Faces, about an interesting look at an unlikely duo. It wasn't meant to be a ship to upset the fans - it was more an experiment on HOW different pairings could or couldn't work. It goes on for a sequel or two and keeps it entertaining throughout.
- Recommended by Unknown Troper, Kilyle
- Comments: The Slayers Reflect, Chaos, and Rebirth trilogy is amazingly good. It's by Two Flower, the same person who did Sailor Nothing, which might give you some idea of the quality. The characterization is perfect, and the plot starts out simple but quickly becomes more complex.
- Kilyle: The fics I recommended in other areas are good but in many ways not as good as they could be. This Slayers series is quality writing with a tremendously effective plot. Also, I highly enjoyed the role played by Xelloss.
- Comartemis: Original Flavor at its very best. This one's an absolute must-read for all Slayers fans everywhere.
- AnoSa: I have to agree, but add a caveat: this predates Sailor Nothing significantly, and TwoFlower's writing style is still developing. It's quite good, but it's also very much an early work by an author who has a consistent tendency to improve.
- wescotta: I actually like this one even better than Sailor Nothing, which is saying something. There isn't as much technical trickery going on, and the writing is certainly more primitive than Sailor Nothing, but the fast and loose style fits the source material pretty well. The Slayers Trilogy would never pass as fiction but as fanfic it's probably one of the best ever written.
- thekashif: The writing starts off very ametuerish, its not bad but its clear that this was some of his earliest work.
- It gets better fast and his characterization is nearly perfect. I kinda get the feeling that he doesn't like Amelia though.
- Dioschorium: Why has no one else commented on the line plagiarized from Harlan Ellison?
- The 17th Immortal: Good read overall, but it does suffer from Critical Research Failure during the first story: White Magic is not the opposite of Black Magic; Holy Magic is. MST3K Mantra may be required.
- Recommended by fortune cookie
- Synopsis: the slayers cast take over the roles of the Revolutionary Girl Untena characters. Amelia as the titular Utena and Zelgadis as the rosebride. He is not amused.
- Comments: I rarely if ever like crossovers but this fic is the most hilarious thing I've read in quite a while. the characters are semi-aware of their actual relationshpis/roles. Some more, some less. Reading it for the first time I only had a vague idea of Utena -lots of roses, a prince, everyone is a bishonen- and it was funny even then. Enough to make me watch Utena in the first place and it got only better. I laughed out loud reading this. Only flaw: It's too short.
- Recommended by Seven Of Diamonds
- Synopsis: An epic next generation fic taking place after Slayers Try, featuring Lina's daughter Mina falling in love with Gaav. Permanent hiatus, but worth it.
- Synopsis: Lina and Gourry thought it was just going to be a vacation visiting Lina's family,but disturbing visions and unspeakable tragedy draw the Demon Slayers once more into chaos and death. Rated for Violence, Language, Crude Humor and some lime scented febreez
- Comments: The plot takes a turn to the grim dark side of the non-cannon-but-plausible. Yet despite the world going to hell in a hand-basket(case), the characters you know and love, and xellos, are still the characters you know and love, and xellos.
- ''Recommended by Endless D
- Synopsis: a journey into a fantastical landscape in which the Second War of Resurrection has destroyed most of the Earth and its inhabitants, in which Lina, now a 22 year old, copes with humanity's downfall, and in which she manages to pull herself together and launch a new war against the seemingly unstoppable monsters
- Sequel: Nightmares in the Revelations (chapter images are missing but the links still work)
Of Life and Lemonade by J. Rhaye
- Recommended by: Queen BEAUTY
- Synopsis: Alternate Universe set in modern-day southern California (in which the kingdom of Saillune and other locales are now regular towns and cities) centered around the lives and complex relationship between Amelia, now the daughter of an influential lawyer (Phil) and a law student, and Zelgadis, now a police detective. Suspense and drama ensue when Amelia, her father, and her sister begin getting threats from an unknown source, eventually spiraling into something even more dangerous. Traditional pairings and the like. On hiatus, but might be picked up again soon.
- Comments: Arguably one of the best Alternate Universe Fics out there in general, as the authoress takes the setting and canon stories and seamlessly places them in a modern time setting without making awkward references. Characterization, while a bit off-key, is very good overall, and the writing is the perfect balance between flowery and straight to the point.) It is very long (37 chapters as of this writing, all lengthy, but worth it. Plot is stellar and interesting, as is the relationship dynamic between Amelia and Zelgadis. Amazing read, highly recommended.
CrossoversA Sea Of Stars, by Noatun
- Recommended by: CRB Wildcat
- Crossover with: One Piece
- Synopsis: From the description at Fanfiction.net: "Lina Inverse just can't catch a break! A few months after the defeat and banishment of Dark Star, just when she thought she was in luck, a mishap at the Temple of Chronos leaves the Slayers stranded in East Blue. The group is joined by Luke and Milina as they pursue their goals and dreams in this new world." Begins right around the Enies Lobby arc, before the events of Strong World.