Fanfic Recs: Real Person Fic
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Real Person Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page. Page Reconfiguration in Progress: Fanfic Recommendations is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropriate category, and to format it according to the template.
John's Return To Liverpool by Christopher Burns, first published in 1985 in Interzone, a British fantasy magazine. This Troper read it in The Year's Best Horror Stories XIV, published in 1986 by DAW Books, Inc. As you may have guessed, this is an actual published story by a professional author, so I'm not sure it really belongs here. However, I just had to recommend it.
Close Your Eyes And Think Of England by Copperbadge.
Speed of Sound by daniomalley
What's Not In Between by trickpie
A Dream That Could Not Last by jlh
So Simple Now by jannika
Woke Up Married by Celli (link is to part one of two)
I Have Been All Things Unholy by bexless (link is to the masterlist for the series)
The Anatomy of a Fall by novembersmith
(Not Your) Superman Tonight by torakowalski
Corner of No and Where by saekokato
Tony and Matilda: Inspired by a True Story by Denofiniquity
A Passage That Sings by Dorkorific (Part 2 linked at bottom of the page)
Alone by Monica Gilbey Bieber
A Partial List of Things to Do In New York by thegeekgene
Authors, and WebsitesThe Bandom Awards, nominees' list one and two. (For warnings, look at the summaries for the individual fics. About 90% of it is slash, many have squicky elements. HEED THE WARNINGS. )
- Recommended by Lua.
- Bandom is a mostly LiveJournal-based fandom focusing on a certain batch of emo bands. The "big three" are Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and My Chemical Romance, but ever band on Pete Wentz' Decaydance label shows up somewhere. The Bandom Awards are basically their Reader's Choice Awards. The nominees are sorted by genre (Romance, Angst, AU, Hurt/Comfort, Humor, Drama, Crack Fic, PWP, and best overall) and band, although some fics show up several times. I admit I haven't read all of them as several are pretty epic, but what I've read is gorgeous.
- Recommended by NYCScribbler
- Specific fandom is sports RPS, sub-fandom Major League Baseball, specifically the Oakland A's, both current and former. Very much slash with occasional het in the background.
- Candle likes it dark- sometimes a little too dark, but once she's started, you'll find yourself coming along for the ride and loving every fucked-up second of it. Her prose is lyrical and evocative. She loves California and makes it very clear through her writing. She often picks up a story after a few years and rewrites it as a POV flip. She'll occasionally dip a toe into AU, in which case things will be even darker and more fucked-up than usual. Best known for The Rest Of Your Life, but- well, see her tags; baseball isn't the only fandom she plays in, either.
- Recommended by dragonmage86
- Pairings: Writes Jared Padalecki/Jensen Ackles... a lot. also some James Roday/Misha Collins
- has written several AU J2 fics with her most prolific being an epic series known as the Reinventing Love 'verse. The 'verse is an AU with Jared/Jensen starting out in high school and moving on to college. _mournthewicked as a real talent or writing dialogue, and her fics are very easy and enjoyable to read. Parts of most of her fics are NSFW.
- Recommended by Mandrke
- Synopsis: A story of the life and times of Doujinka Mizuki Hitoshi, Touhouified and slightly exaggerated.
- Recommended by Kittenmommy.
- Synopsis: He told her four versions of the afterlife. "Of course, she speculated about a fifth version. The dead returned to their old homes, haunting them, were restless and unsatisfied spirits until something finally laid them to rest. But he always felt so real in her arms..."
- Comments: A very disturbing little story that stays with you long after you put it down, and leaves you wondering what was real. Did John Lennon really return, or was the POV character imagining the whole thing?
- Recommended by Kim W, Ronfar.
- Synopsis: Inspired by an appearance David Tennant made on the British chat show "Friday Night Project", during which the hosts read a visibly-shocked Tennant some Doctor Who slash fic. In this story, John Barrowman, Gary Oldman, and David Thewlis all then go on to tease Tennant by showing him just how much more "Doctor Who Porn" is out there.
- Comments: It's short and fluffy, but you KNOW you've secretly always wanted to see the reactions some celebs have to bad fanfic starring...them.
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: Ray Toro, disgraced superhero, moves to a small town. Unfortunately, few supers can ever truly retire.
- Comments: Superhero AU, featuring the members of My Chemical Romance. Technically a oneshot, but it's 12000 words long.
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- "Synopsis": How the Killjoys became the Killjoys...if the Killjoys were telepathic space pirates. (Featuring superheroes and sidekicks, sneaky illegal activities after dark, broken hearts and bitter grudges, and a whole lot of get up and go.)
- "Comments": A pretty substantial story in three parts, following Frank Iero. It's Frank Iero/Gerard Way, though that's not the focus. Some sexual content in part three. Explains how the Killjoys became the Killjoys—except, well, telepathic space pirates.
- Recommended by Marythe Duke
- Pairings: Peter Cook/Dudley Moore
- Synopsis: There are many things Peter Cook and Dudley Moore fail to talk about. Explicit swearing, implicit love, a good dose of nonsense, cigarettes and alcohol. Very little actual slash. Bonus brief cameo from a young and closeted Alan Bennett! And voices!
- Comments: This is a strangely slash-free but very well researched and startlingly believable story about two giants of British comedy. It's sad, angry, absurd and very very funny.
- Recommended by Marythe Duke
- Pairings: Julian Barret/Noel Fielding
- Synopsis: All the bits that aren't in between. An elegant, hot, painful parabola of a bigger, stranger relationship.
- Comments: I cannot explain how perfect this story is. I think it is the definitive Boosh RPS. Everything after pales in comparison to its bright crayola coloured passion. The characters are utterly real, and speak in charming riddles and restrained British body language. It is simply perfect RPS.
- Recommended by Across The Stars
- Pairings: Ryan Seacrest/Simon Cowell, Amanda Overmyer/Carly Hennessey, Kimberley Locke/Anwar Robinson, Chris Richardson/Blake Lewis, Katharine McPhee/Chris Daughtry, and others
- Synopsis: An AU romantic comedy set in 1939 London, when everyone knew war was on the horizon but no one was sure when or how it would arriveâ€”which made love of all kinds that much more important. Follow a year in the life of three groups of (mostly) Americans: pilots who joined the RAF, singers and dancers in a swing music revue, and reporters for BBC Radio.
- Comments: I wish there were words to describe this. All I can say is that her attention to historical detail, her characters, her relationships, her settings, and her world are one of the most exquisitely real creations I have ever seen in fic. If you have ever enjoyed early romantic comedies, history, swing music, or just plain love, this is a must-read. (Warnings: Slash, cross-dressing, sex)
- Pairings: Drake Bell/Josh Peck
- Synopsis:Sometimes, Drake wishes he and Josh could just be, but it’s not that simple and he knows it. The show is over, but growing up and moving on are impossible when they’re so tangled in each other. Misunderstandings, some serious communication failures, sex, and lots and lots of coffee.(Link is to part one of three part fic.)
- Warnings: Sex, swearing, angst, drinking, and slash.
- Recommended by The Blood Sharpie.
- Pairings: David Cook/David Archuleta
- Synopsis: "Archie, we got married at- at Elvis's Chapel O' Love and Rainbows. And you're fine with that?"
- Comments: I usually don't like RPF, so it should tell you something that I'm adding this one to the Recs Page. It is adorable and hilarious. The author has clearly done her(?) research, and it shows.
- Recommended by Godborn
- Pairings: Gerard Way/Frank Iero
- Synopsis: “He thinks I have stigmata,” Frank said, because what the fucking hell, it couldn’t get any worse. He might as well just lay it out.“Oh, well,” said Brian into his hands. “Of course.”
- Comments: The unholyverse is an epic of three long stories that is legendary in MCR bandom. Now, bear with me, it's an AU in which Gerard is a priest. But it's absolutely amazing, brilliantly written and LAUGH OUT LOUD hilarious.
- Warnings: Blood, torture, sexy times very late in the series. Never too overblown.
- Recommended by Half-Born Hel
- Pairings: Gerard Way/Frank Iero
- Synopsis: The unholy union of a high school AU and a ghost story. Gerard's life takes a strange turn when his family moves to a small town in Vermont and he discovers the locals aren't all what they seem to be. Also includes: unexpected nature walks, murder, pining, improper treatment of crime scenes, a number of bone-related puns, high school bullies, and a short-range shrub named Ferdinand.
- Comments: High-school AU, brilliantly written, hilarious, excellent characterization, about 270 pages long, SO MANY KINDS OF WONDERFUL. By the way, this fanfic also has its own TV Tropes page.
- Warnings: Explicit sex, violence, angsty scariness
- Recommended by Half-Born Hel
- Pairings: Bob Bryar/Brian Schechter, Z Berg/Ryan Ross
- Synopsis: Brian Schechter is a telepath working for the NSA, and Bob just needs a couch to crash on for a while.
- Comments: Very pretty.
- Warnings: Explicit sex towards the end there, some pretty graphic violence, drug/alcohol dependency, angstings.
- Recommended by Half-Born Hel
- Pairings: Patrick Stump/Pete Wentz, Andy Hurley/Matt Mixon, Ray Toro/Mikey Way, Brian Schechter/Gerard Way, Bob Bryar/Frank Iero
- Synopsis: [Bandom Big Bang 2010] Space Opera AU. Andy Hurley is the prickly consciousness of this super-massive and awesome starliner with a kickass quantum drive that jumps through time and space like nothing doing. Matt, Ryan, Stu, and Kyle are his crew, just looking for a couple days of R&R in the Illinois quadrant. However, they first have to take their passengers - scientist Patrick Stump and his bodyguards, Pete and Joe - across the galaxy to the Edge, dodging Republic agents, bounty hunters, Space Pirates, and the occasional swarm of Space Jellyfish.
- Comments: Andy's official name as a ship is Fuck City.
- Warnings: Oh, dear, such vulgar language.
- Recommended by Chicago Ted 9242
- Pairings: Matt Stone/Trey Parker
- Synopsis: It's been six years since Trey Parker finished making "Cannibal! the Musical" and moved to New York City to work at Troma. Six years since he's spoken to his best friend. In his absence, Matt Stone gave up on the dream and resorted to becoming an accountant. Then, one day, they run into each other in Times Square, and as it turns out, that old saying is true: the more things change, the more they stay the same.
- Comments: One of the best RP Fs, especially A Us I've ever read. The author manages to retain the humour that makes Stone and Parker so amazing, while making a very cute, well-paced romantic story. The OCs don't overshadow the two and actually add to the story. Simply a beautiful story.
- Warnings: Not to spoil too much, but the setting is NYC 2001. 9/11 plays a part and the Columbine Massacre is mentioned in passing. Explicit sex later on
- Recommended by Yessiika
- Pairings: Chris Pine/Zachary Quinto
- Synopsis: The one where Chris has stupid glasses and a lot of paperbacks, Zach knows too much for his own good, there are at least two lap dances, and everybody wants to sleep with Dorothy Parker.
- Comments: Off the bat, this troper would just like to say that she doesn't normally read RPF's; to her, they seem strange and invasive and a little too difficult a bridge to cross from the plain-vanilla flavoring of regular fandom. That said, this is honestly one of the best pieces of writing that I have ever read. And really, what else can you expect with a story coming from one half of the incredible duo that wrote The Shoebox Project? This fic has everything that a good story is made up of: Wit, humor, strong characterizations, a real developmental feel to the main relationship, and quite a few genuinely touching moments. And also, as an added bonus, many, many, many references to some fantastic works of literature. Be warned, the fic itself isn't exactly safe for work, though the real lemon-type writing doesn't kick in until the second half of the story. The cherry on top would be that Pennyplainknits has recorded a truly marvelous rendition of this fic in podcast format, and it lends a unique spin all it's own to this already wonderful story. Located here. So really, coming from a person who gets really antsy and uncomfortable around the idea of RPF's, this fic could not come more highly recommended. It is so very worth the read, as is everything else Rave has written.
- Recommended by: Hayley Williams Fanboy
- Pairings: Ronnie Radke/James Smith
- Synopsis: James Smith, at thirty years old, is already the very successful Chief Architect of Le JimStructures, the firm that will be responsible for the very first interplanetary manmade structure. Aside from that, he is also a bestselling writer. He is basically living the dream, with a luxury penthouse to dwell in and all the time in the world for himself. However, he will encounter the one project that will ultimately change his life...
- Comments: Yep, the fanfic is a Slash Fic Self-Insert Fic that has loads of Author Appeal, not limited to but including James owning an architectural firm, a luxury penthouse, a Lamborghini, and a black Persian cat, meeting various celebrities and rock stars, and him just being successful in general. However, he manages to write it well by having an interesting plot, which is him being given the opportunity to design the first Martian manmade structure, but with another project getting in the way, which then leads to a friendship with Ronnie that will soon turn into romance. Judging by the premise of the story, this romance will lead to various conflicts as well. Ronnie himself is also quite a likeable character, and here, he plays the role of a washed-up rock star who has found his renewed sense of purpose. The fanfic is still in progress as of this time, but so far, it's going quite well. Also, Word of God says that the pairing is a joke.
- Recommended By: Rose And Heather
- Pairing: Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert
- Synopsis: "On June 24th, 2011, the New York State Senate votes to legalize same sex marriage. On July 24th, the first same sex weddings take place. Jon and Stephen fill up the time in between." Or: In June and July of 2011, Jon and Stephen surrender to love.
- Comments: A lush, gorgeous, romantic (and, yes, sexy) AU in which neither Jon nor Stephen are married, Stephen makes gay marriage cupcakes, and homoerotic subtext gives way to just plain romantic text. If you only ever read one fic for this pairing, make it this one.