Proof that the remaining 10% is worth getting their brains for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Psychonauts
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation In The Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Sasha Nein's Blog
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Digitaldreamer
- Synopsis: Supposed written by the legit Sasha Nein, and impressively so at that. Has a jaw-dropping amount of well-written fanon for the inner workings of the Psychonauts agency, information which this troper has always used for her personal headcanon. Canon characters are all written pitch-perfectly, and O Cs are equally well done. Whether you consider this to be clever fanfiction or feel like playing along, this troper feels the blog is well worth the time of any Psychonaut fan looking for more. Try starting at post number one.
- Pairing(s): Sasha/Milla
- Tags: Original Flavor
- Status: Still Updated on Occasion
The Worst Summer Ever
- Recommended by Kendroid, Sar-Chasm, Mike Rosoft, Indalecio
- Synopsis: "Fourteen-year-old Razputin Aquato is the only one his father can trust to break the curse on their family. Can he and Lili track down the last remaining Galochio before it's too late?" The story is set four years after the game. It has OCs, but they are believable. This is a very fun fic to read with mental worlds that seem like they could be in the game.
- Pairing(s): Raz/Lili
- Tags: Original Flavor
- Status: Completed
- Now has its own (under construction) page here.
Failure in Stone
- Recommended by Cass, Indalecio
- Also found here
- Synopsis: "Between the stupid summer camp, the dorky campmates, and the crazy Russian counselor she suspected was trying to kill them all, Monica was sure that this was going to be the worst summer ever." Obviously OC-heavy, since it focuses on a new set of campers, but the author had the Psychonauts-weirdness down when it came to creating them. And Mikhail just sparkles, as do the other canon characters who have cameos as members of the camp staff.
by Space Kase
- Recommended by Blazichu
- Synopsis: "Agent Ford Cruller knew he had limits. He just didn't think he'd reach them so soon..."
- Ford muses on his own mental state, once in the 'past' (during the game) and once in the 'present' (years after the aforementioned game).
by Atrophy Conception
- Recommended by Thedoctorscompanion
- Synopsis: Set six years after the end of the first game, Raz has been kidnapped during a mission, and is forced to work for Ford's rival. He trains a boy named Stephen, in the hopes that instead of being the spy he was sent to be, he'll instead defect to the Psychonauts and help take down the man keeping him there. There are a good amount of OCs, but they're fairly well written. Old characters show up as either re-occurring in the story or as cameos. POV's switch from person-to-person, so that you get more of the story and don't get bored with just one person's thoughts. 29 good-sized chapters so far.
- Pairings: Raz/Lili later on.
- Status: Incomplete, due to the author working on other projects.
by Digital Dream
- Recommended by ladyofthelibrary
- Synopsis: A darkness is encroaching upon Whispering Rock. The shadow of a nightmare speaks of a looming tragedy. The pieces have been set. A game, a riddle, the answer lies hidden beneath the watery depths. Can Raz figure it out, or will the darkness swallow him?
- Comments: While very dark, this story is well written and gives an interesting backstory to why exactly Raz's family is cursed and why his father tried to curb his psychic abilities. Well worth a read.
- Pairings: Raz/Lili, one-sided Raz/Nereus Galochio
- Status: Complete
- Triggers: Torture...lots and lots of torture...
''Return To Thorney Towers
by The Great Allie
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Love Works in Weird Ways
- Recommended by Indalecio
- Synopsis: Someone is targeting the former patients of Thorney Towers, but who and for what purpose? Sasha, Milla and Raz investigate.
- Comments: There's a lot of world building, mostly going into former history of Thorney Towers asylum, and a lot of the story is told from from Fred Bonaparte's perspective. Two O Cs from the author's previous work(I'm assuming) show up, and if I'd had to gripe about anything, it would be about their presence. However, their role is minimal, and they've no impact on the story.
- Pairings: None
- Status: Work In Progress
(homosexual and heterosexual pairings, non-canon settings for chapters revolving around characters existing in different mind realms)
Make Out Room
- Recommended by Skullsmuggery
- Pairings: So many.
- Synopsis: An anthology of romantic one-shots taken mostly from review requests, though some chapters enter platonic territory when it becomes unfeasible to match up certain characters in that way.
- Recommended by Paxjax
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Raz and Lili.
- Synopsis: While searching for a quiet place in Milla's mind, Raz and Lili find themselves in an unusual place for making out. And although Milla thinks that this is not the right place for making out, the two young agents have to disagree.
- Comments: The fanfic really nails the dynamic of the two. Takes place a year after the game. A cute, quick read.