Fanfic Recs: Pokémon Special
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Manga/Pokemon Special
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Yowl of Time's
Pokémon Adventures Saga:
A Miscellaneous Tale of Night and Day
- Recommended by: Aya Sai
- Arc 1: Starts from late B/W. For the last near-decade we've been hearing of Dex Holders enjoying their own adventures all over the world. But what happens when a certain disaster in Unova interconnects their paths?
- Arc 2: As the Dex Holders struggle together to repel the mysteriously-reborn criminal organizations, they and some others are drawn toward the legends of the sixteen Plates of Arceus...
- Arc 3: Everything seems to be falling apart as the truth is at last revealed to the Dex Holders, confined in the Hall of Origin with nothing to do except waiting for doom to claim them. Destiny couldn't be clearer, but many are in motion to stop it...
by Starran (Link
Pokemon Adventures: the Ethereal War by BlackTyrantValvatorez
- Recommended by: Khione
- Synopsis: An alternate universe fic. The Dex Holders are "accepted" into a talent school. Even though they were kidnapped in the middle of the night, the kids warm up to their school and make friends. Then things get... complicated. Time travel, missing older siblings, secret societies, Amnesiac Lover and much, much more! A very fun if predictable read. Has its own page
- Pairing(s): Special/OldRival/MangaQuest/Frantic/AU Dashes of Agency/Commoner/SoulSilver
- Tags: AU, High School A.U.
Another Pokemon High Story
- Recommended by Cybran General Sturm
- Synopsis: The Four Ethereals have decided to act because of the actions of Team Rocket. Even though they were defeated, the group's actions have caused the Ethereals to decide that humanity must be wiped out. Now it is up to the Pokedex holders to stop them from completing their goal of global human genocide. This is the first of the four stories of their endeavor to defeat the Ethereals.
- Recommended by kumanda
- Synopsis: The story takes place in Indigo Plateau Academy where all the Dex Holders are students. It begins with the introduction of a new student, Soul, and and tells of the hijinks of the Dex Holders' lives.
- Tags: High School A.U.
- Comments: A very funny and refreshing fic. There is little focus on Pokemon, but the dialogue is hilarious. The author has really managed to represent the characters the way they are in the manga. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a light and quick read.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Maps I Must Keep
- Recommended by: sanzano
- Synopsis: The dexholders learning to be parents.
- Pairing(s): Mainly Frantic (Ruby/Sapphire), but has others like Mangaquest (Gold/Crystal), Special (Red/Yellow), and Oldrival (Green/Blue).
- Tags: Kid Fic
- Comments: A beautiful and episodic narrative about the dexholders growing up and raising their kids. Funny, phylosophical at times, and simply lovable. One of the best fanfiction this troper has ever read.
Stories that blend one universe with another
Crisis on Two PokéWorlds
- Recommended by: hyperlimitsorant
- Synopsis: A PokeSpe/PokeDPAdventure/Manga/Anime Intercontinuity and Crisis Crossover of epic proportions! Reality will shatter and worlds will collide as a portal sends several of the anime characters and the PokeDex Owners into each other's worlds! Now they must team up with their counterparts, defeat their foes, and save both worlds before all is lost! Has its own page.
- Pairing(s): Various shippings from the three media, although the series puts more emphasis on action.
- Tags: Intercontinuity Crossover, Crisis Crossover
- Comments: This is a pretty good crossover story, despite suffering from a case of Early Installment Weirdness in the early chapters. However, the author continously improve on his writing stories and the story has moved on to be one of the best Pokemon crossovers in fandom.