Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Ōkami Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Land of One Hundred Stories
One Day To Live
- Recommended by Eagle Fox, Nightgazer, and moooomoooo
- Synopsis: Ammy and Waka embark on an adventure based off of various old Japanese ghost stories in the fog covered land of Kaiden.
- Length: Oneshot
- This fanfic isn't on fanfiction.net. This is this troper's favorite Okami fanfic of all time. Ammy stays true to her game self and doesn't talk yet she is probably the funniest character in the entire story. It follows the format of the game in the way it combines characters and plots from different stories all into one package. The friendship between Waka and Ammy is definitely one of the highlights of the story.
- Great writing that fits perfectly with the games' tone and canon. Really makes me want to hear more about Waka and Ammy's adventures after Okami.
- Recommended by phazonfarmer
- Synopsis: This is an High School A.U. set in modern times. The main cast is
Amaterasu Snowy, her boyfriend Waka, Issun, and an Original Character named Kiyoko. Who happens to have a terminal illness.
- Comments: The writing in this is incredible. It gives each character a distinct personality that helps drive the plot. Just don't let the name fool you; Kiyoko actually lives for several days after her diagnosis.
YMMV- The characters just... didn't feel right to me. If this WASN'T an Okami story, I might have said different, but the characters just don't seem the same as their game counterparts.
Through A Sue
Stories that picks up where a series, movie or book left off and carries on from that point.
Okami: Child of the Sun
- Recommended by thepunkmaster
- Synopsis: "When Issun finds an overly sparkly scroll on the shelves, he feels that he must show it to his friends. However, the glittering ink weaves a story that no one in Nippon has ever seen before. Join Amaterasu and her companions as they fight an enemy that is destroying all that they hold dear- A Mary Sue."
- Length: In progress.
- Comments: For the Okami fandom, you don't see many fics around that address the issue of Mary Sues. This one is amazing. The writing quality is wonderful. No one is out of character, and their reactions to the fanfiction that they are reading are perfectly in character as well. It even ties fanfiction to game mechanics in ways that makes sense. Overall, this story introduces the concept of a Mary Sue in a very clever way.
The Long Howl
- Recommended by Road Buster
- Synopsis: (OC Fic) Takes place in the present day, and (After time travel) then 10 years after the end of the game. A teen ager named Ashitaka meets a girl who he's never met before, then fall into the land of Nippon then next day, turned into a neko. Thus begins a crazy adventure across Nippon, with familar faces present The first three chapters are somewhat weak, but Chapter five makes a HUGE hike up in quality.
- Length: In Progess. Currently has 5 chapters that aren't authors notes.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Nemi
- Synopsis: After the end of the game Ammy, Waka, and Issun take the Ark to another world, specifically, the world of Harry Potter.
- Length: Thirteen chapters and completed.
- Admittedly, the writing is flawed, but you do have the opportunity to see the author's writing improve and evolve as it continued. Further more, the concept if good and fics and crossovers are rare enough as it is.
A Spark Of Moonlight
- Recommended by Kittastrophe, moooomoooo
- Pairing(s): Amaterasu/Waka
- Synopsis: The courtship of Amaterasu and Ushiwaka. Full gamespoilers.
- Comments: Really beautifully written oneshot about the relationship between Waka and Ammy. It's set pre-game and the story has a beautiful flow to it. Takes a few things from the mythology the characters were based on.
- Recommended by 1niji-girl2
- Pairing(s): Amaterasu/Waka
- Synopsis: "Twice during her adventure, Amaterasu feels another presence similar to hers. A smaller one, that also wields a Celestial Brush..."
- Length: Oneshot
- Comments: Wonderfully, poetically written. Thankfully takes the Squick out of a popular theory as to who Chibiterasu's father is.