Fanfic Recs: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Authors
Go back to the show's main fanfic recommendation page here
- Recommended by Jayrad, autobot, molotov
- Synopsis: The largest MLP: FiM fansite. In addition to other fanworks on the site, its archive of fanfics can be found here, or if that list hasn't been updated recently, the individual posts for each story can be found here. Every story is reviewed by pre-readers before being posted, so they are at least grammatically competent.
Equestrian Dawn Old Link
- Recommended by Salnax1, autobot, molotov
- Synopsis: The other MLP fansite. This one focuses solely on fanfiction, and as a pure fanfiction site, has superior tools for finding stories than Equestria Daily... but also has lower standards so Sturgeon's Law applies. The two sites have a fairly close relationship though, so most of the best content is featured on both sites.
MLPchan's /fic/ board
- Recommended by ChibiKibou, molotov
- Synopsis: A MUSH-type roleplaying environment, based on the series-proper and keeping about as close to canon as one can with roleplay and whilst allowing original characters. Play is centered on Ponyville, but takes place in other areas, also.
- Recommended by bananahammock, molotov
- Synopsis: An imageboard section dedicated to reviewing and critiquing MLP:FiM fanfiction, particularly prior to an author's submission to fanfiction repositories like Equestria Daily and FIM Fiction. Authors can find dedicated reviewers to help them pre-read and edit their stories, as well as brainstorming and story creation threads. Sites such as Equestria Daily often refer stories which are initially rejected to the reviewers of this community to help them improve the stories prior to re-submission.
Thirty Minute Pony Stories
- Recommended by Masterweaver, molotov
- Synopsis: A play-by-post RP forum, Equestria Chronicles has a constant continuity and a very friendly community. The story itself is rather grimdark, with Tyrant!Celestia being played absolutely seriously, but it focuses more on individuals and allows for many subplots.
- Recommended by 7grayjay7, molotov
- A tumblr blog which posts a prompt every day and gives writers 30 minutes to write a story based on it. The stories can be of any genre, but must be SFW. A very good source of well-written short stories.
- Recommended by: Molotov.
- An author who writes a variety of stories. This guy tends to favor mature examinations of characters, along with a lot of intelligently-integrated world building. So far, he's written Last Racer And The Geek, Reflections, Welcome To The Brothel, Shell Shock, A Pleasant Surprise., Blissful Dream, Relax, I Did Not Want To Die, and You Obey, SongsUncleSings, and HotButtonBeachDay. His basic style is rather academic yet direct, with a mix of character-driven narrative, world building, and emotional impact. However, some of his stories are written in different styles, varying from incredibly rich prose of to the extremely focused stream of consciousness. He also drops a lot of helpful reviews and critiques, especially when asked. One of Us.
- Recommended by ladyofthelibrary, molotov
- Synopsis: This artist/author draws exclusively FiM art and most of it shipping related. There are three stories featuring his couples and their kids currently though one is still unfinished. The stories are very sweet and the fan kids are darling. His pairings are Lyra/Bon Bon, Twiluna, Discord/Celestia, Carameljack, Fluttermac, Braeburn/Pinkie Pie, Soarindash, Sparity, Scootabelle, Doctor Whooves/Derpy, Apple Bloom/OC, Diamond Tiara/Twist (though it's only a background) and several OC/OC pairings. If you have the time to browse, both the stories and artwork are wonderful. However there are some dark elements included in all three stories. The stories are called Tootsie Flute Makes Three, Spike the Werepony and Luna the Matchmaker (currently unfinished).
(also known as TheDescendantofKehAn
- Recommended by guitarfan01, molotov
- An author with a rich and elaborate style, The Descendant sets his touching fics in a sort of a serious fantasy version of Equestria. The fics all figure, more or less, into an overarching plot, though each stands on its own as well. His stories are varied (from silly comedy through philosophical musings to dark fantasy), though mostly rather light-hearted (if not shying away from darker and mature topics). One can also spot some Christian philosophy in his fics if one cares to look.
Joel O. Cromwell
- Recommended by Lopiny, psycojosho, molotov
- This author writes shipping fics, all set within the same timeline, between the Mane cast and O Cs. This might sound a bit off-putting, but, when you get past that, you find a great mix of comedy, drama and romance, all set around the current fic's pairing, with previous fic's characters there to participate. They have to go through hell to make their relationship work, but it's all worth it in the end.
Daily Show Ponies
- Recommended by Kavonde, molotov
- A real-life high school teacher, he writes Cheerilee with a kind of authenticity that's hard to match, and gives her an endlessly entertaining and quirky personality. His story "School Daze" is a loving tribute to the Stand and Deliver, and even includes multiple song numbers and an honest-to-god Training Montage. He's also a huge Doctor Who fan and has done a great job turning Derpy into a lovable and believable romantic lead for Dr. Whooves. Seriously, he rocks. Go read his stuff.
- Recommended by autobot, molotov
- Basically, the author has Jon Stewart from The Daily Show interview certain ponies and Spike. Way better than it sounds, the author gets Jon's personality down pat.
- Recommended by Kytseo, Clato Lawa, molotov
- I've only read a couple of his fics, both comedy (The Many Secret Origins Of Scootaloo and The God Squad), but those by themselves give him my recommendation. Both fics are pretty good examples of postmodern absurdism, and you'll probably be laughing your flank off reading them. He also has a few more serious sounding fics (going from the titles & descriptions only that is), one being Film Noir-ish, showing he has range. That said, the fact that the first mentioned comedy fic has it's own tvtropes page should say something.
- Recommended by Clato Lawa, molotov, Mad Cormorant
- Friendly Uncle is known for a number of one-shots dealing with subjects that would be taboo for the series - such as sex education, pornography and marijuana use - in a typically hilarious fashion, while still keeping the Mane Six in character. He Also Did The Creature that Came to Ponyville, a genuinely dark and violent crossover with Alien and Predator, which is as well written as any of his comedies. Definitely a writer to keep an eye on.
- Mind you, that marijuana scene with Rarity and Fluttershy getting stoned? Also a heartwarming examination of introversion (Fluttershy) and extroversion (Rarity), with both parties comforting the other that there's nothing wrong with the way they behave.
- Recommended by Kytseo, molotov
- Want to read a shipfic starring everyone's favorite number one assistant?, this is where to go! Mallajong1 specializes in ship fics starring Spike, and he writes them quite well, with said fics actually feeling like legitimate blossoming romances for Twilight's surrogate brother. Highly recommended, please support his goal of getting Spike all the bitches.
- Recommended by RWG, molotov
- If you're a fan of Star Wars, then you should love Doc Delray's Star Wars/MLP crossover Of War and Friendship, and its pseudo-sequel On the side. "Of War and Friendship" and "On the side" are stories about a merging between the Star Wars and MLP universes, and features a great many mythological reasons to explain this merge. This, coupled with a fantastic story, great original characters, and interesting interpretations of existing ones, makes Doc Delray's works some of the best I've ever read.
- Reccommended by Clato Lawa
- Tragicom recently started a series of Doctor Who Fusion Fics based on classic serials. So far, these have included adaptations of:
- The Five Doctors - Bon Bon as Tegan (Word Of God is that Lyra will be Nyssa if she ever appears in a story), Caramel as Turlough, Shining Armor as the Brigadier, Twilight as Sarah Jane, Colgate as Romana, Derpy as Jo and Private Pansy as Jamie.
- The Happiness Patrol, with Firefly as Ace, and Surprise as Helen A.
- Genesis of the Daleks, with Twilight again in place of Sarah Jane and Dr. Stable as Harry. (In progress)
- Announced future installments will include The Twin Dilemma, The Tomb of the Cybermen, Terror of the Autons and The Time Meddler.
- Recommended by: p0nypanda
- If you like royal pony on human clop, that also has some story, this is for you!
- Recommended by: Yami Vizzini
- "Just a humble writer with some stories to tell"- but what stories! Author of a series of (mostly) one-shots delving into the backstories and relationships of the Mane 6 and CMC, amongst others. Not only do they serve as a frequently heartwarming (and occasionally tear-jerking) look at the ponies we know and love, but they gradually introduce choices and connections that steadily hint at both a dark past and a dark future for Equestria. "Each story, each secret, each moment brings you ever closer... a storm is coming."
- Recommended by Femoman
- A very underrated writer with an interesting catalogue of works, ranging from adventure to horror to propaganda to christmas-special! If you're looking for something with an epic, adventurous high-fantasy sort of feel to it, then look no further than Redback's fic, The Tears of Gaia. It's currently ongoing, but it is beautifully written, rife with scenery porn, magic and even song numbers! And if adventure isn't your thing, he has also written very many Lovecraftian horror fics, including straight adaptations of Lovecraft stories, such as The Statement of Twilight Sparkle, The Strange Music of Octavia, and Scaling the Tower. He really has the Lovecraftian style of atmosphere and chills down pat.
- And his latest project, Kingdom Come, looks to be on its way to becoming something huge. Another darker fantasy story, it is apparently set have multiple tie-in sidestories and possibly even a prequel! definitely worth keeping an eye on.