Fanfic Recs: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth usng the self-destruct (Repeatedly) for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Death and the Dragon
- Recommended by Nemi
- Infamous authors Mel and Chirsty from before the onset of The Pit of Voles. It's and oild archive of their own fics and other people's as well, by invitation only. Once abandoned, it seems like it's going to be coming back to life very soon.
- Recommended by RagunaBlade, Aki-no-hikari
- Has written a trio of rather lovely fanfics starring 1XR and 4XD as a the main couples. All of them are part of a series, starting with Manifestations. The first two are complete and Revelations is still updating, albeit slowly, as of the time of this writing.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Peloponnese, Aki-no-hikari
- Niko's Recast Steel AU fics are a pair of stories focused on the state of the world after the Eve Wars, in a universe where Milliardo Peacecraft succeeded in causing nuclear winter. The chapters are lengthy, as are the stories themselves, so a reader must devote a lot of time to read this fic from its beginning. The second fic in the series is still updating but at a snail's pace.
by Clara Barton
Gundam Wing: A New Era
- Recommended by EigenLocke
- Pairings: 1x2x3, Various others
- Synopsis: Duo Maxwell vowed to walk away from the world of magic, but it just won't let him go. A tale of revenge and absolution, and finding romance along the way. 1x2, multiple other pairings.
- Comments: Looking for an epic AU fantasy Gundam Wing fic that has nothing to do with Harry Potter? Then this fic is for you. Features an amazingly in-character cast, superb writing, and an amazingly absorbing plot, AND it's completed! Warnings include bloody violence, torture-y violence, completely justified revenge-y violence, Angst, steaming hot Duo-loving, and general bad-assery all around. Sequel on the way.
by One and Firefury Amahira.
- Recommended by J
- Pairings: 1xR, 2xH, 3xOriginal, 5xS, 6x9
- Synopsis: The year is After Colony 216. In the twenty years since the wars ended, peace has finally been achieved between not only the Earth and outer space, but also the newly terraformed Mars and Venus. However, the World Nation has grown and become rather ill-equipped to handle the rapid growth, and discontent is spreading. The heroes of the past have fallen in love, married, and had children, and now both generations must rise to meet the challenges of a world once more thrown into chaos.
- Comments: Despite being well on the way to being a Dead Fic (the last installment came out in 2008... after a 4-year wait), this one is still well worth reading; the authors capture the spirit of the original and the voices of the characters so well that it could almost be an official continuation.
by Ashkara and Christy (link goes to Ashkara's main page)
- Recommended by Yunami
- Pairings: 1x2, 5x6x13, 3x4, 11xWalker
- Synopsis: A major AU in which Treize, deposed, realizes all the harm he's caused and changes sides, along with a few other OZ characters.
- Comments: Despite the inadequacy of my synopsis, this really is an epic fic (still unfinished at fifty-four chapters) with interesting character portrayals that still manage to remain true to the canon characters despite taking them in completely new directions. Requires some suspension of disbelief in terms of how quickly the pilots are able to accept working with their former adversaries, but the relationships between the various characters are well-developed and fun to explore. Obviously, this AU is heavy on slash, and I believe there are a few scattered sex scenes (it's been a bit since I last read through), but that's not the main focus of the story. Finally, the earlier chapters contain some a very negative portrayal of Relena, bordering at times on character-bashing, but this does get better eventually and the character is somewhat redeemed. Unfortunately, this fic is still unfinished, and looks to have been abandoned, but despite the frustrating lack of resolution, is definitely worth a look.
- Recommended by ForeverRhapsody
- Pairings: Is it too much to ask that any pairings in this fic are not revealed? Any mention of the pairings would spoil important plot details. (The relationships in this fic, however, have very little bearing on the plot.)
- Synopsis: An AU detailing what life might have been like if Mariemeia's takeover in Endless Waltz had succeeded.
- Comments: I read this story and was blown away. It reads exactly like a continuation of the anime if Mariemeia had gained power. The characters have all grown and changed due to the circumstances of their world, but they are still recognizable as the characters we know and love deep inside. The world created is completely believable, building on what we know from Gundam Wing. It's also filled with many twists and turns; the only thing I'll say on this matter is that you shouldn't believe everything you are told from the beginning.
by Oedipus Tex
Soldier of OZ: Walker's Account
- Recommended by pointysparkles
- Synopsis: My brother is a Gundam pilot...and I said to myself, 'These are the hands of a killer.' The Preventers run a DNA analysis on a guy in hospital, and find the Lang's lost family member. Can this guy, with his mood and secrets, really be their son?
- Comments: This is essentially an extended outsider point-of-view fic about Heero post-series, except more and better. One of the things I really like about anime fandoms is when authors attempt to reconcile that particular stylized anime worldview with what passes for 'real life' in fiction, and this fic does that perfectly. The original characters are all very well developed and emotionally compelling, and overall this is just a great piece of writing. Complete at over 20,000 words.
Gundam Wing Final Battle
- Recommended by Night
- Synopsis: When five powerful weapons arrive on Earth from its Outer Space colonies, the cunning, mettle and virtue of the men and women of the Alliance are tested like never before. One from an elite unit, defeated by the Gundams, gratefully takes a second chance to watch the unfolding events of Operation 'M'.
- Comments: An attempt to re-tell the whole of Wing from the perspective of a one-shot character in the elite OZ military unit, with all the biases and baggage one would expect. It's long (and ongoing), in large part because it attempts to reconcile seemingly unrelated plot lines in the main narrative with an original plot line based on the fall of the Alliance and the rise of a new world order. Comes with a dash of humor and humility.
by Peter Chimaera
- Recommended by shaorune
- Synopsis: 'after teh fight of earth they fight for space'
- Comments: It's Peter Chimaera. And it's hilarious. Heero and Zechs fight, and that is all. Just read and laugh.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Saint Quatre's Home for Retired Gundam Pilots
by Lilthe. (Eventual yaoi, het but non-explicit.)
Sir Maxwell's Guide to Dragon Hunting
- Recommended by CM
- Pairings: Eventual 2x5, 1x3, 4xR
- Synopsis: In an attempt to preserve his own sanity and that of his comrades, Quatre attempt to gather them together. But Duo is hard to find, and Une clearly disapproves of the project, seeing the pilots as a potential threat.
- Comments: Saint Quatre's is one of the few GW fanfics that explores the dangerous and darker side of children that have fought a terrible war. Armed with a witty sense of humor to it's narrative, Saint Quatre's is sure to leave you heart sore, laughing, crying, and yearning for more.
by Lilthe. (yaoi, het but non-explicit.)
- Recommended by CM
- Pairings: 2x5, 1x3, 4xR
- Synopsis: Sequel to SQHRGP. In which Duo realizes that sometimes the thing you've given up is the thing you need the most, and things, once given up, are not easily retrieved again.
- Comments: The second multi-chapter fic in the Saint Quatre's universe, Sir Maxwell's steps up to the plate with a wry, laugh-out-loud first person narrative that is as sure to send you rolling as it is to tug at your heart strings. Continuing where the plight of Saint Quatre's left off, Sir Maxwell's seems a promising beginning to a complex, note-worthy installment.
Mend These Broken Wings
- Recommended by Asterion
- Parings: 1x5
- Synopsis: Wufei, struggling with his demons, agrees to a wartime fling with Heero, no affection needed or wanted. But the 'arrangement' lasts and grows as they join the preventers. It could become a source of strength for both... if they let it. TWT, lime, eventual lemon. (Complete)
- Comments: What makes this fic so great is that the boys are still badasses. You can see how these guys won the war and how being terrorist messes with normal everyday life, how they struggle to adapt to "being civilians". Add some mutual attraction and beware the fallout.
The Wayward Son
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Pairings: 1/R, 2/H, 3/C, 6/9
- Synopsis: "Earth is threatened by a race that is only interested in world domination. Heero and Relena are drawn into a web of power and drama as they try and save the world... and themselves. 1xR,2xH,3xC,6x9"
- Comments: The best fic I've seen that manages to work both magic and aliens into a Gundam Storyline, and beautifully gripping in execution. Worth it just for the sight of a believable Warrior!Relena.
by Mourning Ophelia
Upon a Fiery Steed
- Recommended by Pureauthor
- Pairings: 6x9
- Synopsis: Zechs and Noin's journey together from their adolescent years at Lake Victoria to their work on Mars.
- Comments: A well done expansion of Zechs and Noin's backstory.
Harry Potter and the Secret Link
- Recommended by: Croaker, Tannim
- Synopsis: Daniel. Duo. Two trouble magnets, one very unlucky System Lord... Gundam Wing AU crossover, finally finished!
- Comments: Another in Vathara's vast repertoire of vastly interesting crossovers. This time she's reworked Gundam Wing to have it set on a goa'uld colony planet in the Stargate universe, just in time for them to find SG-1's perpetually perambulating people-person and rescue Daniel Jackson from a less than friendly evil overlord. Needless to say, the Wing kids and SG-1 get along far too well for certain goa'uld's comfort.
by Capricious Purple Clarity
Demon of Justice
- Fandoms: Harry Potter and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
- Recommended by QuatreWinner
- Synopsis: Watch as Duo chips away at the very foundation of Hogwarts as he breaks down House walls, befriends Gryffs and Slyths alike, mugglfies Malfoys, and flushes cherry bombs down school toilets.
- Comments: This fic is simply too much to adequately summarize without spoiling anything. Duo is completely in-character throughout this whole thing, and it's his character that "mugglefies Malfoys" et al. An alternate summary is "Duo Maxwell's unique brand of luck strikes again. Ron wants to keep him, even if he does have some weird obsession with flirting with Snape. Snape just wants to know where to bury the body." It's just... everyone's in character. The plot makes sense. I'm not really doing it justice, really. Just read it and see what I mean. It also has a sequel, Harry Potter and the Forgotten Heirs.
- Warnings: Slash! There is the aforementioned Duo/Snape flirting, as well as 1x2, 3x4, and Harry/Draco.
Gundam Wing: Journey to a New Battlefield
- Recommended by Nemi
- Can be read here, but the newest updates are posted here first.
- Fandom: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and The War Gods
- Synopsis: In a battle with Oz forces Chang Wufei strikes an experimental enemy weapon at just the right moment. Any earlier and it would have exploded killing him, any later and it would have fired upon him at point blank range.n As it is the weapon, which accessed power from the fabric between worlds, did explode, and shove Wufei and Nantaku through the fabric of reality. Before Wufei could go mad in the nothingness between realities he is summoned; as a demon. In this new, medieval, world he has to deal with learning languages, non humans, gods, a new link to his Gundam, and a Godly Stalker. His friends back home have to adapt to life without him, a new peace, and the fact that their friendship is one that will never break.
- Warnings: Slash. Crazy!Relena and Clue Batted!Relena
- Notes: That is a link to the prologue, Oath of Swords and it's sequel can be read online, free and legally, here. It is finally being updated again after a five year Hiatus.
By operation meteor.
A Simple Game of Chess
- Recommended by: Rockmanx
- Fandoms: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Synopsis: From FF.Net: "The war is won, yet he cannot find peace. When a mission gone wrong throws Heero into another world, how will he survive? And how will he react when he is confronted with his greatest challenge yet? For love can be trickier than any battlefield foe..."
- Pairings: HeeroxMurrue
- Comments: This is a well-written story about Heero being thrown into the world of Gundam Seed. The characters are totally in-character, and the mecha fights are really good. And the romance between Heero Yuy and Murrue Ramius is greatly exemplified.
- Recommended by: Eva Unit 01
- Status: Complete/Oneshot
- Synopsis: Treize Kushrenada and Rau le Creuset have a chess match.
- Comments: The players are perfectly in character, and the fic perfectly illustrates quite the powerful theme.