Fanfic Recs: Metalocalypse
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Metalocalypse
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
The Two of Us Are Dying
and assorted sequels and companions
, by DJ_the_Writer
- Recommended by Kaza999
- Pairing(s): eventual Ofdensen/OC
- Synopsis: Charles Ofdensen has a lot of demons to deal with, both figurative and literal.
- Comments: Easily one of the best Metalocalypse fanfics this troper has ever read. Told from Ofdensen's point of view, it feels a lot like the show-as-told-by-Ofdensen. The author mixes in a surprising amount of realism while still keeping in with the tone of the show.
by H.J. Bender
Strangers Have The Best Candy
- Recommended by feral
- Pairing(s): Nathan/Toki
- Synopsis: After a totally brutal mishap on the dungeon stairs, Nathan develops feelings for Toki. Worried that this could totally ruin the band's image, he and Pickles hatch a plan to cope with it by writing the world's worst love song. Meanwhile their bandmates come to the conclusion that Nathan must be dying. Hilarity Ensues.
- Commentary: Very funny, really captures the spirit of the show.
- Seconded by this troper.
- Third-ed! This fic is hilarious and a bit gross - it manages to involve the characters in slash in a way that actually works beautifully. Or maybe disgustingly.
- Tags: Slash Fic, Original Flavor, Mistaken for Dying
Or Perhaps the Decree of Fate
- Recommended by feralchildoftime
- Pairing(s): Skwisgaar/Toki if you squint
- Synopsis: It’s a terrible thing to be young and lost. No matter where you’ve lost your way—the most crowded town in the area, with grownups rushing by you without so much as a backward glance, or the unforgiving darkness of the forest with only bright yellow eyes to see you—you are utterly, totally alone. There is no familiar face to comfort you, nothing to recognize and cling to for support. There is nothing, and there is no one; there is only you and your desperate, unparalleled desire to be back amongst those you know best. But sometimes, you’re more lost in your own house than you are in the forest, more alone with those you know best than you are with strangers; more desperate for the unknown than for the familiar.
- Commentary: a bittersweet fic giving both insight into Toki's childhood and an interesting view of how he and Skwisgaar came to know each other. Funny in all the right places.
- Recommended by Ho Yay Foe Down
- Pairing(s): Nathan/Charles
- Synopsis: Set Pre-Dethklok, an unlucky Charles, who starts off as a timid law clerk, meets Nathan and his life gets turned upside down as his apartment slowly becomes a halfway home for wayward musicians. SLASH
- Commentary: Most, if not all, of korr's Metalocalypse stories are wonderful. This one, to me at least, is just the best out of all of them. When not being hilarious or just plain sexy, it's actually a pretty intriguing read. Unfortunately though, it's still a work in progress.
- Recommended by Kazokuhouou
- Crosses over with: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Synopsis: Dethklop is the most popular and brutal death metal band in all of Equestria and the "planet's greatest cultural force." Consisting of Neighthan Explosion, Pickles the Drummer, Skwisgaar Saddlegeld, Toki Warhoof, and William Murderflank, they have started an ask blog at the suggestion of their manager Clopdensen to promote good PR.
- Comments: You would think that ponifying Dethklok would be a bad idea at best and disaster at worst. You'd be wrong. Being ponies does not take away from their brutality or the hilariousness that is that band. Plus, there are some more poignant moments, such as flashbacks to their childhood Hearthswarmings (Equestria's version of Christmas). Besides, Murderflank (Murderface) possibly being Twist's father is itself hilarious.