Fanfic Recs: Marvel Cinematic Universe
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth becoming a superhero for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Marvel Cinematic Universe fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Author and WebsitesAvengers Fanworks Search
- Recommended by Pitac89
- Comments: Your standard fic finders comm on livejournal, a requirement for every fandom, if you lost a fic or just want to wander through to see if anythings interests you.
General FicsHouse Arrest by roxypony Recommended by Jedi Vulcan
- Synopsis: They thought defeating him was hard? That was nothing. Try babysitting him. Loki is placed under house arrest at Tony Stark's Malibu home, under the supervision of the Avengers. Slightly OOC AU Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: This story is pretty much one long extended Crowning Moment of Funny. Some of the Avengers are slightly OOC, but this just serves to make it even funnier. Highly recommended and excellent for a laugh.
- Synopsis: The Avengers are over protective of one another, we all know that. But when misunderstandings lead to flawed beliefs of who a person is, and when others are judged for misguided actions carried out without thinking, it's hard to know who to protect and defend.
- Comments: Misunderstandings abound, and Steve's issues and Tony's lack of self-esteem don't help matters.
- Seconded completely, but warning: this is not a happy fic. It's full of angst, and a total Tear Jerker. It is totally worth the read, but have some tissues on hand, just in case.
- Not seconded and a fair warning: The series starts out as something which sounds like a resonable take on the characters and some giant misunderstanding, but it eventually comes closer to a bashing fic, in which Tony is the poor misunderstoof whooby and Steve the uninternational bully who (despite the "uninternational" aspect) gets smacked down by more or less everyone. A very uncomfortable read which eventually flanderizes all the characters.
- Has its own tropes page.
- Iron Fist: The Movie
- Luke Cage: Hero For Hire
- Heroes For Hire: The Movie
- Luke Cage Returns
- Iron Fist: The Immortal Weapons
- Heroes For Hire 2: The White Tiger
- Luke Cage: The Chemistro Formula
- Recommended by AP, windower
- Synopsis: A series of "prose-based fan movie scripts" that take place within the Marvel Cinematic Universe that features MCU takes on the Immortal Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Contains many references and character cameos from the Avengers films.
- Comments: All three stories are complete. It seems like more could be on the way.
- Luke Cage Returns is now being written.
- Luke Cage Returns and Iron Fist: The Immortal Weapons are now released.
- As is the second Heroes For Hire fic. The third Luke Cage "movie" just started as well.
- Recommended by Wild Goose
- Synopsis: Heroes In Manhattan: From Captain America's Hidden Talents To The Truth About The Hulk, We Debunk The Myths And Expose The Daily Lives Of The Avengers.
- Comments: An in-universe newsmagazine article on the Avengers, in the wake of the Battle of Manhattan. Very much a gen, team-focused story, with a particular surprise twist at the end.
Shipping FicsThe Twice-Told Tale by arysteia
- Recommended by Pitac89
- Synopsis: For someone he'd hero-worshipped for so long, Steve Rogers in the flesh is a pretty big disappointment. For one thing, he keeps looking at Tony as though he reminds him of someone else, and even if he never says anything, Tony's pretty sure it's his father. A lifetime of not measuring up to Howard's expectations is more than enough, thank you very much, and he's certainly not going to make an effort to live up to any of Steve's. Steve's pretty clearly failed to live up to his expectations, in any case, and that's not hypocritical at all.
- Pairing: Steve Rogers/Tony Stark
- Comments: No real spoilers for The Avengers, but a few for Captain America: The First Avenger. Overall a good fic, with good characters and a strong story.
- Recommended: genisgone
- Summary: Post-Captain America: Winter Soldier recovery fic.
- Pairing: Steve/Bucky
- Comments: Also, the best post-Winter Soldier fanfic you will ever read. It takes everything seriously, it’s heartbreaking and awful and hopeful and at times bitterly, terribly funny and at other times idiosyncratically adorable and also filled with nightmare fuel and every twisted hard one-step-forward-three-steps-back moment in recovery. Also it celebrates the women in the MCU. Also Sam Wilson is 100% the best friend ever. Also Steve is not, in fact, all that innocent. Also Tony Stark is at times ridiculously perceptive. And Game of Thrones puns. And a twelve-almost-thirteen-year-old chocolate selling neighborhood girl. And an almost religious reverence for really shitty coffee. Warnings for everything terrible one might expect to have happened to the Winter Soldier and beyond.
Crossover FicsPokevengers by Feriowind
- Recommended by: SAMAS
- Comments: It's a simple transition on the surface: What if you gave the Avengers Pokémon? But under the surface, the relationship between the heroes and their animal-like friends grows into a big part of their history: Tony poses on the red carpet with his father's Ninetales. Steve Rogers is reunited with the Growlithe that's been by his side since the Great Depression, now a massive Arcanine. Pokemon are rare on Asgard, and Thor finds himself attracting a lot of baby Electric types. Not to mention Mewtwo and Absol: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.!
- Recommended by: Zelda Queen
- Comments: This fic does a fantastic job combining the unlikely fandoms of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Fifty Shades of Grey. While there is more than one Take That at the latter fandom, mostly in the form of various women from the Marvel fandom dealing with him, there is also a lot of examination of the relationships between the various Avengers, including canon ships (Tony/Pepper, Jane/Thor, and Rogue/Remy) but also Natasha and Clint as well as Loki and the rest of the Avengers and familial interactions with She-Hulk and Bruce.