Fanfic Recs: Les Misérables
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth stealing a loaf of bread for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Les Misérables
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexual or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by Veloren
- Comments: Lots of one-shots, with a few longer stories mixed in. Mostly crack and humor (go look at It's a Wonderful Life, Javert), but also contains some serious fics.
- Recommended by bartholomewrose
- Comments: Mostly one-shots, but also a few multi-chapter stories; pairings and genres tend to vary. She has a very good grasp of characters and I especially recommend the Grantaire character study "House of Cards".
- Some, but not all, fics are also posted on AO3
- Recommended by vampergreen
- Comments: One-shots, some loosely connected as part of the author's "You Know Nothing Of Javert" series, based on the novel rather than the musical. Of special note is the well-researched, novel-length "Between the Dog and the Wolf, wherein Javert is emphatically *not* dead, much of his past is revealed, and he and Valjean join forces to track down some criminals.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
"Belonging and Believing"
- Recommended by bwayrose7, Gigglepud
- Comments: The best A Us I've ever seen, focused on Les Amis d'ABC in modern settings. Most of the stories fall into one of two tags: "Pas de Deux", a five-parter in which Grantaire is a pianist and artist, Enjolras is a ballet dancer, and the rest are their college friends; or "Le Revolutionnaire", an ongoing series in which the friends run an indie newspaper in modern-day Paris. Plenty of shipping and plenty of friendship.
"Until at Last We've Got it Right"
- Recommended by Kinesthesia
- Synopsis: As given by the author - "Everyone needs a place to belong. For a werewolf, this is even more important. Grantaire had given up on ever finding a pack that would accept him and that he could accept, but hope springs eternal. He isn't the only unique stray that Les Amis come across in 1831, either. Enjolras' pack is determined to both fix the wolves' society and help their human friends win freedom."
- Tags: Alternate Universe Fic, Multi-chapter, Incomplete
"Dreamers in the Shadows"
- Recommended by Gigglepud
- Synopsis: As given by the author - "They all keep waking up again on the morning of the fourth of June. But they'd made the only choices they knew how to make the first time around, and they don't know what else is expected of them. There's nowhere to go but the barricade."
- Comments: Some background pairings such as E/R and Marius/Cosette, but the focus is on the story, in which the author beautifully portrays the characters (les amis + other major characters) accurately as they discover they are stuck in a timeloop, and the reactions(excitement; amusement; despair; confusion; fear; desperation) are very well in character. The relations of characters are also very well written, exploring a variety of characters and a variety of relationships (friendship, familial, romance, et).
- Tags: Multi-chapter, complete
"Duty, Nothing More"
- Recommended by Shiney Purple Timelord
- Synopsis: As given by the author - "Something marked them when they fell-something old, something inhuman, something patient. Nearly two centuries later, a group of college students try to fix the problems in their own world while being stalked across a dream battleground at night. It wouldn't be so bad if the dreams didn't come with a language, memories, and names... as well as frightening real-world effects."
- Tags: Multi-chapter, Incomplete
"Too Soon to Say Goodbye"
- Reccommended by Jude Conlee
- Synopsis: As given by the author - "Javert's thoughts after Valjean frees him from the students at the barricade, leading up to Javert's suicide.
- Tags: Not slash, believe it or not."
by Colonel Despard
"Children Shouldn't Live Like This"
- Recommended by Sarah1281
- Synopsis: In which the application of good sense and a warm heart ensure many happy endings and new beginnings. Cosette/Courfeyrac and Valjean. The Cosette/Courfeyrac is established but not the focus as she does not even appear.
''Les Hommes de la Misericorde''
- Recommended by darksecret
- Synopsis: (As given by author) Gavroche wasn't born a street urchin. Abused by his father and cast out of the Thénardier household, the young boy must find his way through life on the streets, and realize that asking for help doesn't mean weakness. Re-dramatisation of Gavroche's life.
by K Chan 88
Labor of Love
- Recommended by abaxyaz
- Synopsis: AU. During the final battle of the barricade Valjean manages to save not only Marius, but a few other members of Les Amis, including Enjolras. While the surviving Amis grieve and try to hold each other together, Valjean must find a way to face his past and protect them from the authorities, including a still alive and increasingly unstable Javert.
by Mendacious Minx
"The Taste of Inspectors"
- Recommended by CJ Croen 1393
- Synopsis: When Gavroche and Eponine meet in Heaven, they think nothing can go wrong again. But after making a promise to help redeem a man of his sins, they find themselves in England under the care of an unhappy Javert, his immortal soul resting in their hands.
- Comments: An oldy but a goody; the story is very well written, the characters are very much in-character (though they change a bit over time, which was obviously intentional) and the original characters are actually pretty well made. The tone shifts between serious (any time Javert acts like a father to Eponine and Gavroche) to humorous (Eponine being on the receiving end of Stalker with a Crush for once and anything that comes out of Gavroche's mouth) to bizarre (Enjolras showing up out of nowhere) all in a very nice and natural way. Highly recommended to any Les Mis fan who loves these three characters.
- WARNING: The final chapter contains a scene with some...unorthodox religious viewpoints. No Unfortunate Implications or anything, more like a Shocking Swerve.
by Jude Conlee
"How Javert Stole Christmiz"
- Recommended by Veloren
- Synopsis: (As given by the author) "After Inspector Javert has been captured by the revolutionaries, all Enjolras wants is to make sure he's watched over...and all Gavroche wants is to eat him for breakfast."
- Tags: Crack Fic
- Recommended by Veloren... Look, it's not like I'm looking for them, they just keep popping up!
- Synopsis: A parody of Dr. Seuss' classic, featuring Javert in a Santa suit as the Grinch, Valjean as a Who, Cosette as Cindy-Lou Who, and Gavroche as Max. "Why, for twenty-five years I've put up with it now! I MUST catch this dangerous convict! ...But HOW?"
by Sarah 1281
"One Miz, Two Miz, Red Miz, Blue Miz"
- Recommended by Veloren... again.
- Synopsis: Life in post-Napoleon France can be short and brutal with tragic endings almost inevitable. Of course, just because everyone's going down in flames doesn't mean that they can't occasionally escape from the world of rationality and misery and see where they end up. They might be just as dead at the end but they'll have had a far more entertaining fall.
- Comments: Retelling of Les Miserables, with the snark and Genre Savvy turned Up to Eleven.
by Jehan's Muse
Las Amigas de los Miserables
by Lydia Of Narnia
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Snuffle Buddy
- Synopsis: A group of demented fangirls somehow manage to go back to nineteenth century France. Les Amis de l'ABC had better be on guard, because crazy fangirls are now hunting them, and no one is safe.
- Comments: Despite the premise sounding a bit silly, this is actually a very interesting read. It's more centered on the fangirls then the Amis, but the fangirls are all surprisingly original and likeable and there is actually good grammar and prose. Overall a very entertaining read.
by Ace of Gallifrey
"As Lucifer Fell
- Recommended by J The Great
- Synopsis: Struggling against his overbearing father, Antoine Enjolras finds himself faced with an impending engagement to a rather distasteful childhood friend. The Friends of the ABC has a countering trick up their sleeves: To marry Enjolras off to someone he prefers, cancelling out his father's plans. Details the engagement and marriage between him and a certain Mlle. Éponine Thénardier. This fanfic stays incredibly true to the characters, their quirks, and their sorrows.
- Pairing: mild Éponine/Enjolras; one-sided Éponine/Marius; one-sided Montparnasse/Éponine
"Some Friendlier Sky"
- Recommended by Vampergreen, Naomi Hansen
- Synopsis: Divine intervention comes between Javert and throwing himself in the Seine. Sweet and fluffy, very much inspired by the musical versions of the characters. Followed by a Christmas sequel by Sandi.
- Pairing: Javert/Valjean, with Marius/Cosette and mentioned Enjolras/Grantaire.
by A Marguerite
"Years Built on Sand"
- Recommended by Sarah1281
- Synopsis: Courfeyrac falls through the roof of no. 7 Rue de l'Homme Armé, taking down not only the ceiling, but the carefully built walls Valjean has constructed around himself and Cosette. Wacky hijinks ensue.
- Pairing: Cosette/Courfeyrac.
- Really, it's worth reading anything by this author. She's got a lovely long Enjolras/Courfeyrac story that's entirely believable, as well as several other shorter fics.
Le Carnaval de Animaux
- Recommended by Synchronicity
- Synopsis: "He lets her go and she scurries away, and in his mind Grantaire's sneering because of course Enjolras wouldn't know how to hold on to a woman, even the slips and tatters of one." Enjolras and Éponine find each other in little cracks of time before the revolution, and then once more at the barricade.
- Pairing: Enjolras/Eponine
Three Days (or The One Where Javert and Valjean Take a Road Trip Through France and Raise a Child)
- Recommended by Naomi Hansen
- Synopsis: Based on this prompt at the kinkmeme: "Okay, kinkmeme. I've just seen the movie adaptation of LesMiz, and I know how kinkmemes usually have at least one prompt where someone gives everyone daemons. I would like to see a twist on this: Instead of having daemons, everyone can shapeshift at will into their animal …"
- Pairing(s): Javert/Jean Valjean, Enjolras/Grantaire, Marius/Cosette, one-sided Marius/Éponine and Cosette/Éponine
- This is a—non-linear—retelling (with some added slash) of much of the source material, but with all of the characters being able to transform into their inner animal form, and it's done fantastically. It's a fairly long oneshot at over 11K, but worth your time if you get the chance to read through it all.
There Will Be Light
- Recommended by Naomi Hansen
- Synopsis: Javert calls what he thinks is Valjean's bluff about needing three days to find the child Cosette and intercede for her. The Inspector comes along for the ride — and gets much more than he bargained for, in the process.
- Pairing: Javert/Jean Valjean
- Despite the cracky-sounding nature of the summary, this is a very emotional, yet light and heartwarming fic about Javert and Valjean raising Cosette together, and the two becoming closer themselves along the way. The author based this story more on the the musical versions, but it can be enjoyed by any (slash-loving) Les Mis fan out there.
- Chinese translation can be found here.
- Recommended by Khismer
- Synopsis: ""They were a strange couple, the boy and girl who moved in next door." Enjolras and Éponine make it through the revolution, and now they have to live with the consequences and each other. She wonders how he survived the war, while he wonders how to survive her cooking. He's angry because his destiny's been changed, and she's angry because he doesn't know how to be anymore."
- Pairing(s): Enjolras/Éponine
"Beyond the Barricade
" by CRMediaGal
- Recommended by The Wild West Pyro
- "Synopsis": "How does one move beyond death, destruction, and unrequited love? After the fall of the barricades in June 1832, Enjolras and Éponine find themselves having to answer that very question in a still revolutionary, chaotic world. E/É, AU, Show/Movie-based."
- "Pairing(s): Enjolras/Eponine, with some Marius/Cosette in there too.
- "Comments": This may head into sexual territory at some point, so be warned. However, it is an absolutely captivating and wonderful Les Mis fic. The author keeps the characters so in-character that this could be canon, or at least a sequel. Another good point is that unlike other authors, she builds up their growing love for each other slowly, so they don't kiss until ten chapters later.
- Recommended by Mythtaken, hannahstohelit, Gigglepud
- Synopsis: based off of the following kinkmeme prompt: Grantaire is the personification of Paris. (because after all that city's been through, wouldn't you be a drunk cynic?) Enjolras finds out.
- Pairing(s): Enjolras/Grantaire
- Status: Complete.
- Comments: Even if you're not crazy about the pairing, it's worth reading just for the world building. The Paris Burning world is one where the cities of the world are also Cities, present in human form and aging as their physical layout does. The development of both Paris!Grantaire and other Cities is wonderful, and it doesn't get NSFW until part 10/16. The idea has spawned further elaboration by multiple people which can be found in the paris burning tag on Tumblr. Also available on AO3.
- Just so brilliant. It solves the whole shipping-Enjolras-with-anyone problem in a way that shouldn't work but really, truly does.
- Now has a trope page.
Stories that cross Les Misérables over with other works.
The Point of No Return
- Recommended by Vifetoile
- Synopsis: Fantine gets a very interesting customer.
- Tags: Short Fic, only 351 words, Crossover with Good Omens.
by Fantastic Mistical Wonder
- Recomended by Alyssa-Macki
- Synopsis: A simple trip to the opera sparks Eponine's curiosity about the Ghost that lurks there. Curiosity that she hopes will distract her from Marius. And she is VERY desperate to forget him.
- Pairings: Eponine/Erik, slight Eponine/Enjolras in the beginning.
- Comments: This is a brilliant fic, keeping all the characters in character, and Erik and Eponine's interactions range from hilarious to touching, and the writing stye is great.
- Last updated 9-8-12