Proof that the remaining 10% is worth building your own armor for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Fics set in an AU where Tony is a woman. May have been inspired by the fic Your Fixed Point
by quigonejinn. Sadly, has not updated since 2008.
Tony and Pepper
A web site dedicated to all things Pepperony.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
The Kids Aren't All Right
- Recc'd by Lavanya Six, Polaris, Jonn, herpaderpgirl, Thalassa, and LongLiveHumour
- Synopsis: "It's been 'a hell of a year' since industrialist Tony Stark owned up to his alter ego in a move that stunned observers and longtime aides alike. With the US facing unprecedented homegrown suicide attacks, Iron Man's contribution to national security is more than ever under scrutiny. As she follows Stark during a year of crisis, exclusively for Vanity Fair, Christine Everhart explores the many contradictions of the man behind the mask, uncovers tales of personal loyalty, patriotism gone awry and corporate betrayal, and asks whether Iron Man is the embodiment of an outdated American fantasy — a self-made, unilateral, technological solution to hopelessly complex problems — and whether he can survive the violent encounter with reality."
- Comments: A smart and insightful look into the reality of Iron Man.
- Desperately needs a follow-up. As of Iron Man 2, the "self-made, unilateral, technological solution to hopelessly complex problems" is working, making this hand-wringing Jossed!
- Very well-conceived and well-written, the story reads (and looks!) like an actual Vanity Fair biographical piece on Tony Stark as written by Christine Everhart. Thoughtful, smart, and definitely worth reading.
by A Wandering Minstrel
Books and Backchat
- Recc'd by peppermintflame
- Synopsis: Pepper Potts goes for a job interview with Tony Stark. She has no idea what she's getting into. But then again, neither does he.
- Comments: Very short, but funny. It's like a cut scene from the movie.
- Tags: There is mention of some hanky panky, so PG 13 to be safe.
by A Wandering Minstrel
- Recc'd by peppermintflame
- Synopsis: Pepper and Tony discuss literature. Sort of.
- Comments: Another short fic from WM, but again, fun.
by Lord Yellowtail
- Recommended by LooneyToons
- Synopsis: Movie Iron Man meets the one and only Squirrel Girl.
- Comments: A nice short story that explores what the Ultimate/Movie version of Marvel's indomitable Squirrel Girl might be like, and how she and Tony might meet.
by Perri Smith
Almost No One Makes It Out
- Recommended by Tabby, seconded by Jonn
- Synopsis: Pepper is trapped when danger hits closer to home than anyone predicted.
- Comments: This is some of the best action writing I've read in a long while. Well-paced and exciting and always easy to follow, and everyone gets their turn to shine.
What Happened To The Burd?
- Recommended by Lavanya Six, Jonn
- Synopsis: What would have happened if Tony hadn't been born filthy rich? A military AU.
- Comments: Solid fic. In a world where Tony was born in the gutter and not with a silver spoon in his mouth, Reality Ensues after his Afghanistan adventure when he doesn't have money and influence to protect himself. The altered character dynamics, especially between Rodney and Tony, are a big draw. The author's writing style sucks you into Tony's head.
The Legend of El Diablo
- Recommended by Liangnui
- Synopsis: A vital question is answered. Set after Iron Man 2.
- Essentially, What Happened to the Mouse? made into a cute, funny little oneshot that is sort of like shaved ice on a hot day.
- Writer's note: Um... thanks!
by CSI Clue
Tony and Pepper Go To Target
- Recommended by: Lady Nomad
- Synopsis: Tony discovers the joys of yard sales and ended up setting off a huge chain of events.
- Comments: This is a very funny fic. The characters are spot on and have some weird things that are explainable. There is also a sentient car and kittens in it. There is a good dose of Pepperony in it too.
- Recommended by: Lady Nomad
- Synopsis: Basically, Tony and Pepper go to Target.
- Comments: It is hilarious when Tony discovered the wonders of Target after a slight malfunction in his thrusters. Pepper having to handle him. It does have some touching stuff at the end.
Heart and Souls
- Recommended by: Thalassa
- Synopsis: Christine Everhart is assigned to write a story about Tony Stark at about the same time Tony Stark disappears. Christine then investigates and discovers more than she ever expected about Tony, as well as Pepper Potts. AU. "Once you consent to some concession, you can never cancel it and put things back the way they are." - Howard Hughes
- Comments: If you're looking for a happy, light-hearted Iron Man piece of fanfiction, this isn't it. What this is, though, is a dark, brilliantly written, insidiously chilling suspense mystery that slowly sucks you in with its believability, twists and turns, and character studies.
by Aaron Cronin
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Your Fixed Point
- Recommended by Kirayoshi
- Synopsis: Set after Iron Man 2, with speculation for the Avengers movie. In Hearts and Souls, Tony and Pepper begin to explore a closer relationship, while taking on business and medical crises, a new project with its own temptations, and mysterious goings-on in the Middle East. In the follow-up, Vignettes, we follow the lives of Tony and Pepper into the future.
- Comments: Solid storyline that can easily fit after the second Iron Man movie, and explores the lives of the principal characters from there. More than just a shipper-fic (although there is shipping), there's also an intriguing mystery as Nick Fury wants Tony to investigate possible terrorist attacks in the Middle East that turn out not to be what either Fury or Tony expected. The sequel, Vignettes, tells more-or-less self-contained stories that follow through a quarter-century from the end of Hearts and Souls, reflecting on Tony and Pepper's family. Suspense, drama, humor, romance...as they used to say on the old Marvel covers, "Face it, True Believer. This one has it all!"
An Uncanny Likeness
- Recc'd by Joysweeper, seconded by Lavanya Six
- Synopsis: Identity is not a fixed point. Say Tony Stark is a woman does not like it when her name is spelled with a "i" or when she is called "Antonia" or anything but who she is. And has the same personality and everything. How does this make things look different?
- Comments: It's bits of vignette examining how a female Tony seems different in the role, and also memories of things like Tony and Rhodey in college, not a rewrite of the story. This ships Tony / Anything That Moves and is rated, hmm, let's go R. Tony's still Tony, with maybe less emphasis on alcohol and more on sex, though there's hinting that male Tony is also bi. There is a link in the first part to the second.
- Lavanya Six: By far the best genderswap fic I've ever read. It examines Tony Stark's life as it would be if he had been born a woman, instead of treating her as "Tony Stark with boobs" like most genderswaps would.
- Recommended by LadyNomad, Marlee Cross
- Synopsis: Pepper has her very own action figure and Tony can't keep his hands off of it.
- Comments: It is a very cute story that shows how much Pepper wanted Tony but kept on denying it. The image of Tony with a Pepper action figure is just adorable and makes you want Mattel to make a Pepper action figure.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Recommended by LadyNomad
- Synopsis: Different take on IM 2, Tony is dying of palladium poisoning but he has found a "temporary" cure with a twist. How he and Pepper get through it, Pepperony, hurt/comfort, movieverse, spoilers, read AFTER watching IM 2.
- Comments: This is like Iron Man 2 if it just focused on the palladium poisoning and the relationship between Pepper and Tony. It feels like the movie, it is suspenseful and dramatic but there are some moments of humor as well.
by Rose Cake 31
change is gonna come
- Recommended by EctoplasmCookie
- Synopsis: To get Tony out of the public eye after his recent announcement (See the end of the first movie), Pepper decides to take him to a remote island for some down-time. Pepperony with light hurt/comfort and humor. Movieverse, ignores IM 2 continuity.
- Comments: This story was written before IM 2 came out, so it retcons Tony's identity being non-secret and takes an alternate route. The first few chapters are mostly character building before it jumps into the plot, which is heavy on fluff but well-written. The story began to take a dark turn later on, and unfortunately ends on a cliff hanger as the author hasn't updated in over a year. It's definitely worth reading, though.
by dress without sleeves
Resurrection, Reconstruction, and Redemption
- Recommended by Zephyr77
- Pairing: Tony/Pepper
- Synopsis: 4 times Tony Stark tried to convince Pepper to date him, and the one time he succeeded.
- Comments: This delightful little piece had the right amount of humour and fluff to power a small town. The characterizations and playful relationship of Tony and Pepper are spot on and just so cute that you would already think they are dating.
A Man Of Iron
- Recommended by Axidental Quark
- Pairing: Steve/Tony
- Synopsis: Doom brings Cap back from the dead, whereupon he has to deal with Doombots, Red Skull, the Mandarin, Registration, a bunch of bickering superheroes, and Tony's apparent nervous breakdown.
- Comments: This is probably the seminal Steve/Tony fic. Just about the first in fandom, one of the fandom's only real epics, and just generally one of the best Steve/Tony's out there. It deals with the fall-out from Civil War quite well; it doesn't allow anyone any easy outs, and yet you come out of it feeling like you understand and empathize with everyone more. It's got a very nice cast of supporting characters, who manage to share the stage with Cap and Tony without stealing the limelight from the main story. It's also long enough that there is a definite, substantial plot in there - as well as some adorable Steve/Tony bits. A bit comics!canon heavy - maybe not for fans just coming in from the movies, though if you keep a wikipedia tab open at the same time/have a rough grounding in the story, it should be easy enough.
by Mr Chaos
Meeting of Minds
- Recommended by Clato Lawa
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: Game of Thrones
- Synopsis: Antony 'Tony' Stark is the arrogant cousin of Ned Stark whose made his fortune crafting fine weapons for the lords of Westeros. Tony leads a joyful life, doing what he pleases and leaving the politics of the realm to others. But when violent attack nearly ends his life, Tony decides to take action and creates a hero for the people to rally around... a knight known as Iron Man.
- Note: Other Marvel characters appear in later chapters, starting with Wolverine as a Dothraki bodyguard.
- Recommended by: roguehistoria
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Crossover with Knight Rider. Jarvis is following his usual evening routine when another presence surprises him. How can he not know of another artificial intelligence as advanced as he is?