Fanfic Recs: Higurashi: When They Cry
aka: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Higurashi: When They Cry
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
When posting recommendations, be sure to indicate its relationship with the established canon arcs if possible. For example, if it's a continuation of Tatarigoroshi-hen
or if it's post Matsuribayashi-hen
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
When a Bird Cries
, by The Solar Being (Season One)
- Reccomended by J the Drafter
- Synopsis: (oneshot) Rena loves cute things. In fact, she can be down right obssessive about them...(horror)
- Comments: This fic takes place during the first season of Higurashi, when all readers had were questions, suspense, insanity and violence. This story made me very happy on a personal level, since first-season stories are a big rarity. When a Bird Cries is short but ably handled.
, by Zoken Hirogechi (post Matsuribayashi-hen
- Recommended by Mapi-chan
- Pairing(s): Keiichi/Mion, Shion/Satoshi
- Synopsis: Post Matsuribayashi-hen, Rika thinks it's all over and that peace has finally returned to Hinamizawa. That is, until a stranger wanders into the town during winter break, and new secrets are revealed to the Game Club.
- Comments: Overall, a good story, with good OCs.
- Mapi-chan: The plot is much larger than it appears to be because the author has multiple arcs all in mind. He's managed to capture each character's personality and even toy with their situation despite the fact that the fic takes place after Matsuribayashi-hen. It's very indicative that he is nowhere near finished as the plot seems to be only hitting its stride now, and that's saying something because the previous (and first) arc was excellent enough to stand by itself.
- Zfish9: The author also does a very good job at matching the horror and the HSQ that was in Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen, even though it takes place after the series ended. which is a lot harder than it sound.
- Vilui: Just noting that the story is now complete.
by mindofamaniac0851 (post Matsuribayashi-hen
Dying Never Gets Any Easier
- Recommended by Mapi-chan
- Pairing(s): Keiichi/Mion, Satoshi/Shion, Rena/OC (Ryuu)
- Synopsis: After Mion's 17th birthday Keiichi discovers a stranger wandering the village. This stranger just so happens to be Keiichi's cousin: Ryuu. When Ryuu joins the club however, dark secrets of his past are revealed and a dark government conspiracy unfolds.
- Comments: By far what I believe to be the best Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfic on FF.net as of this typing, the author combines very very well written OCs with a pretty original plot. Thought that Takano and Tokyo was a badass government conspiracy? Well, I must say that this fanfic will blow Tokyo out of the water when it comes to conspiracies; hell, the author even involves the Cold War and uses it as part of the plot. Moving onto the most significant OC, Ryuu Maebara, he is very well written, nowhere near a Marty Stu (as his badassness is thoroughly justified in his backstory), and in fact the fic's title derives itself from what he wants to accomplish.
- Comartemis: There are exactly four things wrong with this fic that I can see. The first is that the cicadas are still around despite the story taking place in winter (which doesn't sound so bad, except it opens up a pretty huge plot hole later in the story). The second is the unnatural skill the kids display with firearms despite Mion being the only one who's ever actually used one in-story. The third is that none of the kids seem too concerned about killing in self-defense, which was something they avoided almost at all costs in Matsuribayashi. The fourth is that Rika and Hanyuu get almost completely sidelined by the plot, which focuses mostly on Keiichi and Ryuu. That being said, this is definitely one of the best Higurashi fics yet written, and this troper enjoyed it a great deal. Ryuu is a Marty Stu only by the very strictest definition and is one of the better O Cs this troper has ever encountered. Best of all, the story perfectly reproduces the nail-biting tension of the anime, especially in the middle third of the story, to levels approaching Original Flavor status.
- White Bear: Thirding the rec. I would also like to add that the author is currently re-writing the story into The Champion Trilogy. If this ends up being as good as the original, I will personally add this to the list myself.
- Vilui: Myself, I wasn't so keen on the original Redemption, but TCT is much better. The author's writing style has matured, the plot is more intricate and more coherent, and Ryuu is a more consistent and more likable character. Unfortunately, as of Feb. 2012 the author's profile labels this as "dead".
- Recommended by J the Drafter
- Synopsis: Rika's thoughts as she kills herself to escape Shion's sadism during Meakashi-hen. Oneshot.
- Comments: This is a well-written fic that gives some nice insight into Rika's thoughts not just during the event, but about her life in general. Spoilers for Meakashi-hen and major spoilers for Rika's backstory.
by ichigoskullface (post Matsuribayashi-hen
- Recommended by DKN117
- Synopsis: "Takano's Will has been foiled, but how does Rika deal with the weight of decades of experience... when she is supposed to be a carefree child?"
- Comments: With the endless cycle of pain finally over, Rika knows that she should be happy... so why isn't she? An in-depth, soulful look at just what kind of psychological effects that 100+ years of time-looped torment can have on a young girl's mind, and how much difficulty she would invariably have trying to adjust to the normal life that has been so long denied to her.
by Jane Poirot (post Kai
the red tick in your clockwork wake
- Recommended by Hikikotaku
- Pairing(s): Shion/Satoshi, Keiichi/Mion, Rena/OC (Kiyoshi)
- Synopsis: Over seven years, Shion watched others fall in love, waiting for her love to return. One day, in February 1989, the waiting paid off.
- Comments: Both dark and heartwarming at the same time, it describes Shion's perspectives very well.
by darkenedsakura (post Matsuribayashi-hen
- Recommended by Suspiciouscookie
- Synopsis: After all that death and dying, living should be easier. But nothing wraps up the way it does in the movies. Oneshot.
- Comments: Focusing on Keiichi, this fic is a gorgeous depiction of the difficult healing process the group goes through when all's said and done. They still have nightmares, and Keiichi can't do any more than pitch in baseball. It's beautifully written, the characterisation is lovely and from my experience I'd say this is probably the best Higurashi fic out there.
- Vilui: Quite remarkable prose poetry; this almost demands to be read out loud. Beautiful and heart-touching.
Cicadas: Case of the End Dreamer
- Recommended by: Lithium Flower
- Synopsis: Sometimes, it is the simplest things that take the longest to learn. Oneshot; takes place during final episode of Kai.
- Pairings: Tagged "vague hints of Rika/Hanyuu and/or Rika/Satoko", but you really only see it if you're looking for it.
- Comments: Despite being extremely short (only 150 words!), this fic uses a beautifully fluid and lyrical style to explore Rika's potential mindset after Matsuribayashi-hen. I especially love the hopeful undertone that comes to a head at the end.
by The Azure Crow.
- Recommended by: Algoraloth, Negativezero, blackisjudgment
- Synopsis: 12 years have passed since the Great Hinamizawa Disaster, which left no known survivors. But now seemingly innocent bystanders wander into the village again and again, like lambs to a slaughter. And all the while a great conspiracy looms over them...
- Pairings: Depends on the chapter. Shion/Keiichi, various OC pairings, Rika/Keiichi, and Mion/Keiichi are all extremely common.
- Comments: Let me say right off the bat that this story definitely isn't for everyone. It's rated M for a reason — almost every chapter involves mature (and disturbing) content, although the author is classy enough to never get particularly explicit. The story itself is a colossal Mind Screw, with the reader not being able to trust almost any of the narration given to them, and having to work out through small details what is going on at times (How and why is is explained in detail to the reader by the author). And then there's the issue that he spells Keiichi with one I. But look past that, and you see a fantastically written story, with an extremely fluid writing style, excellent O Cs that are interesting and sympathetic, characters that (when their personalities aren't being maliciously twisted) are extremely IC, and when they act out of character, the context makes it absolutely clear why. And then there's the way he cleverly makes it flawlessly flow into Umineko's storyline.
- Vilui: In fact, it reads almost more like a series of interconnected short stories; it's trying to work out how they connect that's so difficult to figure out. Within each story, the writing is very high-quality throughout, with deep immersion in the characters, and many surprising developments and well-crafted emotional moments. The contrasts between the pieces, both in mood and in giving each narrator their own voice, are also very well done.
- Oh, and the sequel's starting now: Dirge of the Farthest Future.
by Jane Poirot (Season One)
- Recommended by: Gamermaster
- Synopsis: An arc revolving around everyone's favorite green haired psychopath... Mion!
- Comment: To my knowledge, this is one of the only "If Mion went crazy" fics out there.
by ice illuser (post-series, coda to "Meakashi-hen")
- Recommended by: Jthe Drafter
- Synopsis: "Twin Demons" is a pair of character studies for Mion and Shion, set in first person p.o.v.
- Comments: This is a very well-done piece of work. The author does a splendid job extrapolating from canon to provide narratives that fit the two Sonozaki sisters.
by CthulhuEXT (post Matsuribayashi-hen
Kokorogoroshi-hen (Heart-Killing Arc)
- Recommended by Mapi-chan
- Pairing(s): Keiichi/Mion
- Synopsis: Keiichi loses a bet and as a result becomes Mion's slave for a week.
- Comments: Definitely one of the best K1/Mion fics on FF.net as of this typing.
- lilpurplebird: It is unfortunately a Dead Fic for four years and counting, so the love for it is bound to be unrequited.
by Yuuaku Hikari
Rena's View of Onikakushi
- Recommended by Replis Monathin
- Pairings(s): Keiichi/Rena
- Synopsis: Rena develops feelings for Keiichi, starting by asking him out on the night of Watanagashi, 15 chapters, complete.
- Comments: Though I haven't checked other fics on FF.net, Yuuaku plays the entire series to a hilt, managing to work in creepy odd monologues by a mysterious narrator, several scenes which are flat-out funny, serious romantic interaction with consideration to both Keiichi and Rena's personality, plenty of ContinuityNods and as this predates Matsuribayashi-hen, manages to get worse in true Higurashi style leading to the extreme Downer Ending that fits so saddeningly well. While it focuses on Keiichi and Rena and their relationship, the other characters (including Ooishi and Mion, among others) contribute heavily to the plot.
- Recommended by J the Drafter
- Pairing: Keiichi/Rena
- Synopsis: This is a Fan Vid still-image video of the Demoning Away chapter as Rena experienced it.
- Comments: This video paints a marvolous portrait of Rena's viewpoint during Onikakushi. The background music is superb, and the story is heartbreaking. The story did an excellent job showing the loneliness, confusion and hurt that Rena felt as Keiichi withdrew from her, as well as her feelings of friendship towards Keiichi and her desire for him to be happy. This is a general retelling; it won't break down every scene and show how Keiichi's paranoid psychosis twisted it. This story's strength lies in the way it convey's emotions. All told, this is definitely recommended.
- Zfish9: Although I want something that shows Rena's view on the entire Onikakushi arc, this makes a very good substitute for that. You can practically feel how Rena feels throughout the short 5-6 minute video, the emotions in it are strong enough to make me, someone who has little emotion due to Aspergers, cry after seeing it the first time.
by Dr. Feelgood122191
Within a Nightmare
- Recommended by Patworx
- Synopsis: Mion's feeling's for Keiichi drive her to pleasure herself more frequently. Noticing this, Shion hatches a plan to get them together once and for all.
- Pairing(s): Mainly Mion/Keiichi, but with hints of Shion/Satoshi and Rika/Satoko
- Tags: Lemon
by Crimso (on the same vein as Saikoroshi-hen
- Recommended by lilpurplebird
- Synopsis: After a fatal accident, Mion wakes up to find herself in a completely different Hinamizawa, one where no one has any regrets. Seemingly perfect, Mion decides to let herself blend in. However, even a world without regrets can be bloody.
- Pairings(s): Keiichi/Mion, hints of one-sided Satoshi/Shion and Satoshi/Mion
- Comments: One of the few Rei-related stories out there (known anyway), this time it focuses on Mion waking up in a world where the twin-switch never happened. The author clearly understands the Higurashi world well and how it works. Despite the little grammar and spelling mistakes here and there, it's well-written and drags you in, much like how the previous arcs did. She gives it a slow build-up of the characters and the new world as well as its mysteries. As soon as our hopes are up to our expectations, she suddenly shoves her arm into your chest and grasps your heart the moment the dark atmosphere shows up. But she doesn't pull it out just yet, nope. She makes you feel the squeeze get tighter and slowly twists it as it gets increasingly darker and more sinister. And it hurts-—in a good way, of course.
- Vilui: This (complete now) is among the very best full-length Higurashi stories: it delves into the philosophical questions raised by the original series and makes you re-examine them more deeply. Mion's dilemma and the way it's developed in the story is fascinating, and her character growth (as well as that of her friends' counterparts in the "perfect" world) is very well handled. The ending provides a superb twist that ties everything together and casts the whole story in a new light. Definitely a story that sticks in the memory.
When the Scallops Cry
- Recommended by Arcade Tokens
- Crossover with Spongebob Squarepants
- Synopsis: When Spongebob Squarepants starts to discover the dark secrets of Bikini Bottom, his perfect, peaceful FUN life is shattered and a totally serious battle against destiny and the darkness of one's own heart begins. Essentially the story of Higurashi in the world of Spongebob.
- Comments: Though it's likely inspired by the "Higurashi with SpongeBob" videos made by evilcuteaardvark, it's still a weird crossover possibility that one is forgiven for thinking it may not work. But surprisingly, it did! This went beyond a mere rewriting of Higurashi with Spongebob characters, at least once the first arch is over. It also does at times incorporates part of the cartoon's humor and a few moments of some real episodes in a way that is fitting and flows seamlessly.