Fanfic Recs: Harry Potter Shipping
Proof that the other 10% is worth reading Harry/Squid
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Harry Potter
Shipping fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Conversion from the "Comments" section to the "Reviews" option is underway. If you are adding a fic, please help us out and use the new template-format on the Fanfic Recommendations Index Page. Please start moving your comments to the reviews sections as we will soon start removing them.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Tissue of Silver
by Fearless Diva
Those Gilded Chains We Wear
- Recommended by: Y.S. Jennis
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Harry/Draco
- Synopsis: A love story concerning possessed furniture, black silk pyjamas, courtroom drama, premonitions of doom, assassination attempts, Death Eater yoga, absinthe, bare feet and a sensible werewolf. Rated: R for coarse language, brief drug use, some sexual content, and consideration of issues of sexual consent.
- Comments: Such depth. Interesting plot twist, too. Hadn't seen that coming. Did end in a happy ending, though. And do heed the author's warning above. Don't read this if you're easily squicked, but otherwise, you really should.
And On the Third Day
- Recommended by: nate9799
- Status: Ongoing but hasn't updated in a while
- Pairings: Hermione/Bellatrix
- Synopsis: From the summary: "During the battle for Hogwarts, Hermione accepts to do the Unbreakable Vow with Bellatrix to protect the people she loves. But binding herself to the dark witch has more consequences than she could ever have anticipated."
- Comments: The scariest thing about this story isn't Bellatrix's insanity. The fic doesn't dodge much of what Bellatrix has done: no Peggy Sueing back to when she was sane, no Bellatrix secretly being a spy, and no soul mate. Bellatrix was clearly evil, torture and all. Yet they end up together. None of that is the scariest part of the fic. The scariest part is how it makes sense. The relationship is such a slow burn (its 274,000 words long, and them being together is relatively new) that it develops naturally and doesn't seem forced. But it's not just the relationship, it's everything. Even Bellatrix sitting out the final battle (that's what the Vow is about) despite her loyalty to Voldemort is explained. It made so much sense that Bellatrix/Hermione is now my OTP.
- Recommended by: genisgone
- Pairings: Harry/Ron/Hermione
- Synopsis: Eventually, they find a note tacked to the gargoyle who guards the passage to the Headmaster's office. It is in Granger's handwriting and signed by her at the bottom, and tells them that, the danger being over and the initial aftermath winding down, she feels that the three of them need some time alone to recuperate and will reappear exactly three days from that day, at four o'clock.
- Comments: Quite possible the best fanfic I've read for Harry Potter. It's not very long and has little in the way of plot or action, but nevertheless just fits. There's a little space at the end of Deathly Hallows, right between the last page and the Infamous Epilogue, where this should be. Trioship has always seemed the natural and obvious way for the chips to fall, and this fic expresses that perfectly.
- Seconded by Sharysa. This is a very, very, very sorely-needed break that needs to be there after the final battle. Never has the term "breather" been more appropriate, both for the Trio and the readers.
, by Mijan
Learning to Breathe
- Recommended by Puck
- Pairings: Harry/Draco
- Synopsis: Draco swore revenge on Harry for Lucius's imprisonment, and for once, he keeps his promise. The old rivalry turns deadly when Draco abducts Harry for Voldemort. But when Draco's world turns upside down, the fight to save himself and Harry begins.
, by onoM
Love Me For the Beauty Within
- Recommended by Comartemis, Unclouded TJ, Seraviel
- Pairings: Harry/Ginny
- Synopsis: Harry Potter is 16 years old. He's already defeated Voldemort, with the help of his Godfather Sirius Black. Now he is in for the biggest challenge of his life: attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Comments: Based on an idea originally posted by Jeconais, this is what happens when you mix Harry Potter and Full Metal Panic! without actually making any kind of crossover. Harry plays the embattled war hero trying to fit into civilian life after killing Voldemort and being instructed to attend Hogwarts by Sirius, and he does so about as well as Sousuke does (Ginny, incidentally, takes up Kaname's role, though she plays it quite differently than Miss Chidori does). Despite the comical premise, the story is fairly serious and has occasionally gruesome scenes from battlefields and missions in Harry's past, so the faint of heart should be prepared to skip scenes here and there. What's more, by virtue of the premise Harry is something of an ultracompetent Super!Harry, but the focus of the story is much more on Harry trying to fit into civilian life than on Harry battling Death Eaters and he's not invincible by any means, so this isn't really detrimental to the story.
- His constant use of noncom to mean civilian, at least in the first chapter, is extremely annoying.
by Silverness (slasher
- Recommended by Whatshisface
- Comments: An interesting fan fic that halfway deconstructs gender-bending, and explores the effect it would have on someone. Broken Link
and the sequel Harry Potter McGonagall
Harry Potter and the Twist of Time
- Recommended by Shinji117, feral
- Pairings: Harry/Hermione (but avoids Ron the Death Eater and Draco in Leather Pants)
- Synopsis: After spending a day observing the Dursleys, McGonagall decides that Dumbledore is making a mistake in giving Harry to them. She waits until Albus leaves Potter on the doorstep before kidnapping him and giving him to her sister's family to take care of. To protect Potter, she also hides his scar and conceals his identity. And teaches him Occulmancy much to Snape's dismay. Harry and Hermione don't meet Ron at the station, and instead get put into Ravenclaw. Much Awesomeness Occurs.
- Comments: Brainy!Potter and Hermione work very well together. The story explains why Harry is suddenly rather more intelligent than his canon-counterpart believably. The pairing actually makes sense (Ron doesn't meet Hermione for quite some time, and even then is in Gryffindor and has little impact on the story, and Ginny, like the entire wizarding world, doesn't know where 'The Chosen One' is or if he is alive). The Humiliation Conga pulled on Snape is incredible, and the author seems to enjoy calling out logical flaws in the canon characters (for example, Blood Quills are illegal, with a possible Azkaban sentence for black artifacts. So Harry and Hermione report Umbridge to Amelia Bones. Problem solved. And then Harry asks Hermione if Umbridge really was stupid enough to think that they would be stubborn and put up with it.) The author doesn't seem to like Dumbledore all that much, catching him up in the Humiliation Conga that hits Snape in the first year, and occasionally giving him the Idiot Ball (most prominently in the trial), but it doesn't really detract from the story. All in all, one of the best Harry/Hermione fics I have run into. And don't instantly assume that just because Harry is in Ravenclaw the story is bad. It isn't.
- CaellachTigerEye: YMMV. There's no doubt it's well-written, but whether the style is you cup of tea depends. I personally am not a fan of stories giving such a ridiculous edge to Harry's side from the start, since it detracts from the well-balanced pacing of canon. Furthermore, the main characters' characterization feels borderline Sue-ish. More importantly though, the author can not write children very well - they're either too immature for me to believe in, or far too mature and intelligent despite their age. It makes me wonder if the author has any experience with people of that age recently ... the writing might avert the DiLP or RtDE, but it still over-perfects Harry and Hermione in my eyes. And the romance is just ... painful. People joke about Harry liking Hermione when he's eleven. Seriously ... you only need read a few more stories to see the consistency in the author's narrative style as presented herein, which ditches proper character growth, development and change in favour of this, which tends to REALLY drag. Evidently, it has it's good points, but in my personal opinion they don't redeem the many faults ... the alt-fic Magical Relations is a better choice for a story in which early changes make for a less suspenseful plot (lack of suspense isn't bad, but when nothing else really appeals to you it's not something you'll want spend your time on ... As I said, good in many ways, just not necessarily in the ways I enjoy my fiction.
- Clendy82: I'm really torn. It is good, but it is so close to being truly great that it's painful. I can understand wanting a more intelligent Harry to work out the original story's logical fallacies, but these lead to many What Cliffhanger? and Anti-Climax moments. Problem presented, problem solved...now what? If the author really wants to showcase Harry's noggin, then give him new and improved problems worthy of him. Much adu is given to Harry's early American magical education, which really only serves to cement his borderline Mary Tzu status. Along with that, the author's contempt for Dumbledore
colors poisons the entire story, along with McGonagall's seething contempt of him and his decisions. If only these, and a few other niggling issues, were fixed, then this would rank among the truly great Alt Fics in the entire Potterverse. As it is, all I can say is that it's very well-written, good grammar, easy to follow, with many genuinely good moments throughout, but anything truly spectacular is missing, just out of reach. Moderately Recommended.
by Grand Poobah
If Only Your Father Knew
- Recommended by Clendy82
- Comments: I have rarely come across a fanfic of such high quality as this. A novel-length alternative version of the seventh year, this story stays extremely true to Original Flavor and canon compliance. I think it compares quite favorably to Rowling's own seventh-year work, though it is tilted much more heavily towards Idealism than The Deathly Hallows. Heartwarming moments abound, and I guarantee you will like the epilogue of this one much more than the official version. The only real complaint is that Harry is somewhat more proactive than usual while Voldemort is somewhat more reactive. But that is a minor complaint at best. Highest possible recommendation.
- It's been pointed out to me that the version I posted above is somewhat abridged due to the censorship policy of the host site. After a little bit of digging, I've found the original version here. Be warned, there are several passages which can safely be considered NC-17. Very nice writing either way. You're not missing out on anything storywise by going with the edited version; it just depends on your own preferences. Do you take your stories Lighter and Softer? Or just a little bit more risque? Or a bit more risque? Or even something just a bit more than that?
by Technicolour Grey
This Means War!
- Recommended by Orochi132
- Pairings: Lucius/Narcissa
- Synopsis: An M-Rated Alternate Universe Fic, where Lucius Malfoy is the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts, and Narcissa Black is a fifth-year Slytherin whose studies are slipping. After serving detention with him, Narcissa starts to note an attraction to Lucius, and eventually vice versa. The pair struggle to keep their emotions in check, and also to keep them a secret.
- Status: Complete.
- Comments: I don't like Lucius, as people who know me will attest to. However, the tension of this relationship is very dramatic, and had me unusually hooked through all the nineteen chapters. The plot was coherent, the characterisation sound, and whilst Technicolour's style leans occasionally towards the purple, it isn't so flowery as to distract from the action of the fic. Overall, If Only is a solid story that has my recommendation.
Paradigm of Uncertainty, The Show That Never Ends,
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Pairings: Ginny/Harry
- Synopsis: When the brothers Weasley make the mistake of scaring off Ginny's most recent boyfriend "for her own good", Ginny decides to get revenge by making a long-delayed move on Harry. What starts off as an amusing seduction attempt transforms into a prank war between the Weasley brothers and Harry while the students (and faculty) of Hogwarts place their bets. Somewhere along the way, the plot transforms into Harry finishing off Voldemort by completely wrecking his latest schemes with a lot of luck and "the power the Dark Lord knows not."
- Comments: Not canon-compliant, and includes a retcon that saves Sirius's bacon after Order of the Phoenix, but is absolutely hilarious when it wants to be; this troper almost put himself in stitches when Fred and George reenacted the Frenchman scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with Voldemort's Death Eaters during the siege of Hogwarts.
- Tentatively seconded by moberemk — the fic is bloody hilarious, but towards the second half of the story it turns more into "Harry Is Perfect" suefic territory. Still funny, mind, but sometimes more in the category of So Bad that it's Good unintentional hilarity than actual jokes. He masters apparition in one lesson, fercryin'outloud!
- Definite third by Goldstein. Yes, it can be seen as a sort of suefic of the perfect sue sort, I always felt it was more of a parody of such. The entire premise is more or less that Harry can literally do anything he wants, because he doesn't know what isn't possible. I felt that the plot excuses the almost Mary Sue characterization.
- While Lord Khajmer doesn't generally enjoy suefic, and especially not with such an anticlimactic final battle, the humor is generally fairly good, Lucius Malfoy's fall from grace was quite enjoyable, and the absolute curbstomp in the final battle actually had some logic and reasoning behind it other than "Harry is infinitely powerful." Fourthed
- Ronfar: I'm disappointed; I was promised an Escalating War of increasingly ridiculous pranks, and didn't get it! It's amusing but rarely laugh-out-loud funny, and it seems to have been started before Half-Blood Prince was published. (It ignores all post-Order of the Phoenix canon.) It's cute and competently written, but don't expect too much from it.
- Absolutely fourthed by eostby. I would even go so far as to say this is my favorite HP fan fic, bar none. There is indeed a bit of silliness that isn't for everyone, but if you get past chapter 3 and are still reading, you're probably all right. There is a bit of a tone shift part way through, but still a good story nonetheless.
and Hero With A Thousand Faces,
by Lori (AU)
Harry Potter and the Marriage Contracts
by Clell65619 (AU)
Harry Potter and the Autumn Swan
- Recommended by Looney Toons, lanky, Seraviel, Sheaman3773
- Pairings: Harry/Daphne Greengrass
- Synopsis: It's Harry's seventh year. The war with Voldemort is over — aided by Neville Longbottom, Harry won, but no one knows how, only that the Dark Lord is no more. The cost? The discovery of the manipulating ways of Albus Dumbledore, and Harry's estrangement from him and his tools — the Weasleys, particularly Ginny, and by extension Hermione, who was forced to choose between him and boyfriend Ron. The rewards? Now that he's visibly unattached and the greatest hero of the Wizarding World, every family wants to offer him their daughters, and the marriage contracts begin to descend on him in droves.
- Comments: A pleasant little romance story set in an alternate universe with a stock Evil!Dumbledore, liberally laced with both comedy and drama. I especially enjoyed the Running Gag of Harry and Neville frustrating Dumbledore by telling increasingly outlandish accounts of how Voldemort was defeated — some of which are the plots of other well-known Potter fanfics. Be warned, though, that the story does include sexual topics, without actually being a lemon.
- lanky adds: It's well worth the read if you're willing to accept the fact that the Weasley family could actually be evil and manipulative. While that premise tends to be off-putting, extraordinarily good writing and bang-on humor make it palatable.
- Chuckg adds: While Evil!Weasleys are at least part of the plot, be warned that Remus also gets to die alone, miserable, unloved, and vilified, when such was entirely unnecessary for the storyline.
- Looney Toons: Clell has rewritten the story to, in his words, "improve some of the story elements, cut down on the Weasley bashing, and generally make a bit more sense."
- Eddie Current: The rewrites are MUCH reccomended. And you'll have read some of the fics Harry uses as tall tales... which makes it even funnier.
by Lord Akiyama (AU)
- Recommended by Rubber Lotus
- Pairings: Harry/Cho, Sirius/Hedwig
- Synopsis: If Harry had managed to ask Cho to the Yule Ball before Cedric did, how different would things turn out? See for yourself in this rewrite of books number four and up.
- Comments: A superb fanfic that sticks close to the books while still maintaining a believable Harry/Cho romance. Most notably, Sirius doesn't die.
(Hufflepuff does exist!) by Tastatur. (In Spanish. Slash Fic
What I Want My Words To Do to You
- Recommended by L-chan
- Pairings: Justin Finn-Fletchey/Cedric Diggory, later Justin/Ernie Macmillan
- Synopsis: Essentially, a retelling of Harry Potter books from the view of muggle-born student Justin Finn-Fletchey after he is sort into Hufflepuff House, showing all what happens in the books from a interestingly different perspective.
- Comments: Begins almost Gen, but soon goes into the exploration on Justin's sexual identity issues. One of the few fics who show love for what are the most neglected houses and characters in the setting. A good reading if you know Spanish; the author even had a livejournal where she posted more explicit version of the chapters as well as the "making of" behind the writing.
by Ladymage Samiko
The Issue of Mine Enemy
- Recommended by AcrossTheStars, Fenro
- Pairings: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
- Synopsis: The courtship of Hermione Granger and Severus Snape in epistolary form. Post-Hogwarts, not DH-compliant.
- Comments: Hands down the best Snape/Hermione fic this troper has ever read, and one of the best fics she's ever seen. In any fandom. Ever. Very much in character, very sophisticated writing... in short, sheer genius.
by Perfesser N
- Recommended by Mac Phisto
- Pairing: Harry Potter/Bellatrix Lestrange and Mariette Edgecombe, Moaning Myrtle, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, and Gabrielle Delacour
- Synopsis: As Harry trains with Mad-Eye Moody for the inevitable Final Battle, Voldemort uses Bellatrix as a means of by-passing the ancient magic that's protected him all his life.
- Warning: For Mature Audiences Only. Equal parts smut & romance. Violence.
- Comments: Honestly, I was only looking to get off. But this (quite long) fic is a very entertaing read. Rather than giving Bellatrix the simply Leather Pants treatment, half the story is a set-up to her eventual Heel-Face Turn, without having to resort to cliches. It is, dare I say, not only my favorite HP fanfic, but my all-time favorite fanfic in general.
Forever And A Day
- Recommended by Still-li, Guessmyname
- Pairing: Rose Weasley/Scorpius Malfoy
- Synopsis: Rose Weasley always considered Scorpius Malfoy one of the most annoying people she ever had the misfortune of meeting. This year, however, deep down, she realizes... he's even worse!
- Comments: Very entertaining and well-written, with an awesome (and hilariously snarky) main character.
- Guessmyname: Seconding. See also the sequel, Paramnesia, still in progress.
Harry Potter and the Secret of the Golden Unicorn
- Recommended by Joysweeper
- Pairing: Remus Lupin/James Potter/Sirius Black
- Synopsis: Several vignette-ish pieces about Remus, the sole remaining non-evil Marauder, remembering his relationship with James and Sirius.
- Warnings: The author says it. "m/m/m, NC-17-ish, angsty, and involves critters, or at least wizards in non-human shape."
- Comments: I don't often enjoy NC-17 type fics — though really this is more R — but I liked this one. It was reflective and sad. Not a PWP; "relationship" in this case is partly but not entirely euphemism. As for "critters", yeah the three of them have sex as animals and as humans, but not human-with-animal.
by Lord Wrackspurt
We Sort Too Soon
- Recommended by Foo Fighter
- Pairing(s): Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Fleur, Harry/Gabrielle, Harry/Luna
- Synopsis: In an alternate universe, a young wizard named Harry Potter comes of age in a time of civil war between wizarding factions. He learns the final secret of why he is the "chosen one" who can end the war and save his friends, but only by fulfilling his destiny.
- Warning: Darkfic, Incest, Squick, Violence. Definitely NSFW
- Comments: One of the last fics to be completed before Restrictedsection.org stopped accepting fics (thankfully the archive is still up) and boy did they go out with a bang. If Harry Potter met the Sin City verse in a back alley you'd get something like this.
- Recommended by Elenor, Fenro
- Pairing(s): Lily/James, one-sided Lily/Snape
- Synopsis: An alternate universe in which Severus Snape prefers to be sorted into Griffindor to join Lily rather than head to Slytherin.
- Comments: Snapes' still a dark bastard, so don't worry that the author will change him into a golden griff. If you don't feel close to tears by the end then you're clearly not human.
by pseudonym (AU)
The First Day
- Recommended by Shay Guy, Unclouded TJ
- Pairing: Harry/Ginny
- Synopsis: In the summer after Harry's first year, the spirits of his parents decide to help him the only way they can: having him dream the next five years of his life, everything from the flying Ford Anglia rescue through the end of Half-Blood Prince. Of course, memories of dreams tend to evaporate after awakening, but what's left is still enough to make things...interesting.
- Comments: This is what happens when you remove the actual foreknowledge from a Peggy Sue fic, leaving only skills, maturity, and instinctive emotional responses (with special emphasis on Harry now being in love with Ginny, but also examining his reactions to her diary, Scabbers, Dumbledore, Snape, Malfoy, and Neville). The author manages to produce some very clever twists on the source material, deftly dodging the "make it all better" bullet in the process — some things are learned much earlier than others, some later, and some things get much worse than they were in canon. (Also? Excellent basilisk fight.) Currently nearing the end of Chamber of Secrets.
- Shay Guy: Just wanted to add a caveat to my rec, now that Chamber of Secrets is complete: the quality seems to slack off a bit in that part's denouement, partly due to the increased focus on the pairing, which I found excessive and thus tiresome (note how few times Rowling deemed it necessary to use the words "I love you"), and partly due to some magic-related wonkiness. (Specifically, Ginny having all Riddle's pre-diary memories and being a Parselmouth? Also, the "soul age" concept in itself fits well with the Age Line in canon, but I don't care what pseudonym says, an emotionally traumatized 11-year-old is still 11 years old.)
- Recommended by Jek Windu 2
- Pairing: Harry/Ginny
- Synopsis: Follows the major characters (and a few minor ones) through the first year of the war. Canon-compliant for the most part, except for things that could easily change between the timeframe of the story and the time reference for the post-series canon.
- Comments: Labels itself a shipping fic, and while the Harry/Ginny romance is handled extremely well, I find that the piece's greatest strength comes from its ability to multitask. The Ron/Hermione parts or the Fred/Katie parts are less numerous than the aforementioned couple, but their characterizations feel just as strong. One thing I like in particular is how Molly is handled. In most shipping fics I've read, she's either a thundering bear or a roaring mouse. This is one of the few who portray as a mother. My only complaint is one that be stretched to cover most post-DH fics: as of this recommendation the story has 52 chapters and there simply isn't a plot beyond "this is what they do now." Definitely worth a read, especially if you like shipping fics that don't exclude other characters.
- Seconded, this fic is one of the best in the fandom, but it's more of a ongoing chronicle than a plot-driven story. Problems come and go as in normal family life, but the problems of the first few chapters have been long since resolved by chapter 30.
by gm weasley (AU)
Hocus Pocus, Adele Polkiss
- Recommended by tenoreyequetis
- Pairing(s): Remus/Tonks
- Synopsis: Tonks and Lupin's relationship from Kreacher's POV, told while Kreacher is running his daily errands in Grimmauld place.
- Comments: A short, funny one-shot fic told from an interesting angle that takes place in the background of Order of the Phoenix. It's also one of the only decent Remus/Tonks fics I've ever come across — it's non-fluffy, non-angsty, and non-squicky. Rated PG (with the exception of certain implications).
Torture, Tears and Terrible Temptations
- Recommended by Person With Many Aliases, Looney Toons
- Pairing: Harry/Titular OC
- Synopsis: Every year, as Harry goes off to Hogwarts, Piers Polkiss' younger sister is left to wait till the arrival of summer, waiting till she can get a little glimpse of the magic she wants to still believe in.
- Comments: The story runs concurrent to the books, so there's not much deviation. It calls itself a shipping fic, but I find the OC itself much more interesting than any bother about the romance. Adele is a unique character, equally as bratty as her brother when we first see her, and completely normal. The story is worth checking out for seeing the story from the perspective of someone who has to deal with wanting more than anything else to be part of an adventure, but regardless is the one left behind when the adventure starts.
- Looney Toons: Seconded. This is nice little fic, with an interesting point of view and a character who grows on you as she grows up yet somehow still remains a bit of a brat even at 18. Oh, and it's complete, which is always a plus, with a little extra scene as a bonus.
- andy25100: Thirded. Excellently written story with an interesting OC who adds an twist to the original story with what would have happened if Harry had someone on the outside who knew everything about the inside. The romance element is minor but it gives some of the most memorable parts of the fic i find, and while she is a bit of a brat, you'll be hard pressed not to like her.
Care of Magical Creatures
- Recommended by Mac Phisto
- Pairing(s): Bellatrix/Draco Bellatrix/Voldemort
- Synopsis: After failing to kill Dumbledore, Voldemort orders that Draco be punished by his own sadistic aunt, Bellatrix Lestrange. But the condemned soon begins to develop feelings for his taskmaster. First lusftul, then... romantic? As time goes by, Bellatrix will realize her feelings as well. But where will her loyalties ultimately lie?
- Comments: This is a very well written drama, that is ultimately heartbreaking and tragic. Rated M for depictions of sex, viloence, and language. At 30 chapters, you probably won't be able to make it through in one sitting. But the ending is well worth the wait. As I said with my previous recommendation, I don't just post anything here — this is on my short list for all-time favorite fan fic.
by mia madwyn (contains lemons)
Velvet & Sidekicks
- Recommended by Fenro, Eddie Current
- Pairing(s): SS/HG
- Synopsis: Seventh Year student Hermione Granger decides to marry the one eligible wizard who did not ask for her-the horrid but powerful Severus Snape.
- Comments: This is one of the best Marriage Law Challenge fics I have ever read. This story is complete.
- Eddie adds: With non-canon couples, I have to be saying "yeah, that's how it'd happen." This does that. Brilliantly.
Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor
- Recommended by FatRat
- Pairings: Gregory Goyle/Millicent Bulstrode
- Synopsis: Because, as much as books and movies tell us otherwise, perfect people don’t live. A tribute to the imperfect.
- Comments: A really sweet plotless little one-shot focusing on two much overlooked characters.
The Bonds of Blood
- Recommended by: Darkaros, Foo Fighter, Willyolio
- Pairings: Harry/Hermione, Ron/ Luna, Lupin/Tonks in the background, and one instance of Arthur/Molly
- Synopsis: "Spurred on by a perverted ghost, Harry stumbles on a naughty, yet very special book. With the rituals found in this book, Harry gains power and leads his friends in the hunt for Voldemort's Horcruxes. EROTIC COMEDY" (Obviously, NSFW)
- Comments: How to describe. It's part smut, part Harry/Hermione romance, part comedy, and part crack. Gryffindor is a horny ghost and Harry and friends search for Horcruxes... and encounter the most crack-filled, hilarious mini-adventures ever along the way. Highly recommended, more because of the comedy, I swear. Mild Weasley (as in Ron and Ginny only) bashing, at least compared to the author's other works.
- Willyolio: agreed, it's hilarious. If you don't mind the sex (and there's a lot of that), it's still full of comedy and it has a decent plot, too. If you do like reading smut, those parts are written pretty well too.
- Ephemeral Night: It is hilarious. If you don't mind the sexism (and there's a lot of that), it's funny like a train wreck; you just can't look away from the mess. If you have any attachment to the canon personalities, or any attachment to the concept of "characters" at all, this story might not be for you, but either way, you will laugh.
by Darth Marrs
by Sara's Girl
The White Road
- Recommended by Lyra Orion
- Pairings: Harry/Draco slash
- Warnings: explicit sex, drug use/addiction
- Comments: Even though it may look short at 10 chapters, the chapters are HUGE. It's not quite an epic, but it's very long and will definitely take more than one night to read. However, it's totally worth it. It's a fic set after the War of Hogwarts and is DH compliant (except for the epilogue), and has a really interesting take on each character. Every OC in the story is absolutely delightful and feel like a part of the original cast. Even with some serious subject matter, there's plenty of brilliant humour and cute moments that relieve some tension. Definitely worth a read.
- The sequel, Foundations is also worth reading. A rare case of a sequel that is as good (if not better) than the first installment.
Igniting the Sea
- Reccomended by nekovita,Fenro, purpleeyed
- Pairings: Harry/Snape, Lily/Snape
- Synopsis: One day, comfortably set up in the afterlife, Lily Evans Potter switches on the telly and gets hooked on the Harry Potter show.
- Warnings: Explicit Sex and Violence
- Comments: You'd think, due to the synopsis, that this fic is going to be lighthearted and silly, or maudlin and straightforward— I did, and I almost passed it up, but boy was I wrong. This story isn't simple; it's engaging, thoughtful and heart-wrenching. The writing is vivid and very detailed. It deals with all of the characters in a caring manner, without vilifying anyone. I especially liked the exploration of Snape and Lily's relationship when they were younger, the focus on the things she didn't notice when she was an adolescent, her interactions with Tom, her very visceral reactions to the things she sees and the juxtaposition between Harry's two different but possible futures, and what brings him to each one. Out of all of fic I've read, this is definitely one of my very favorites. Even if you don't like the main pairing, it's worth a try.
- This story is so... so... there are no words. Just read it.
- This is worth reading, even if Harry/Snape squicks you out (as it does this troper), just for the fascinating characterization of Lily, and this picture of the afterlife.
- Just read it. Harry/Snape was always THE way to squick me out, but this...is just that good. Wonderful characterization of Lily, meddling Dumbledore and Grindelwald lurking in the shadows...bits and pieces straight to headcanon, I think!
- Tags: Slash
Beyond The Veil
- Recommended by Those Dancing Days
- Pairing(s): Percy/Hermione, Ron/Hermione, Audrey/Percy, Harry/Ginny
- Synopsis: Ron is abducted after the war. Hermione, Harry, and the Weasleys slowly give up all hope of finding him alive. Love sneaks up on Hermione when she befriends Percy, but what will happen when Ron is returned to them?
- Warnings: Explicit Sex
- This is fic is still in progress, and is extremely well written. Although the Percy/Hermione pairing may be off putting at first, their relationship is well developed, and entirely engrossing. It also doesn't hurt that the fic often gives Shout Outs and references to Les Misérables, William Shakespeare, and The Princess Bride.
- Recommended by Goodwrench, Lost Lenore
- Pairing: Remus/Sirius slash
- Synopsis: Trapped in a world where he can be neither seen nor heard, Sirius Black struggles to communicate to his friends that he may not be as dead as they think he is and that something dreadful lurks beyond the veil.
- Comments: This is the classic bring back Black story, and an absolute must read for shippers of Remus/Sirius. It doesn't get much better than this.
- Seconded by Lost Lenore: I'm of the opinion that characters, once dead, should stay that way. But this fic was particularly interesting and not nearly as cliche as it sounds. It fleshes out the world beyond the veil really well.
The Stolen Glasses Shenanigans
- Recommended by Voodoo Child.
- Pairing: Harry/Draco slash
- Synopsis: Five years after the end of the War, Harry returns to Hogwarts a changed man.
- Warnings: Explicit Sex, Violence.
- Comments: Written before Books 6 and 7, so who's alive and who's dead are kind of different, though the author nails the fact that Sirius, Snape, and Dumbledore are all very obviously doomed from the start. Very, very long (clocking in at 450K), but SO worth it. I don't ship Harry/Draco, but this is how I could see it happening. Honestly, the pairing kind of fades into the background for me, because this is also one of the most fascinating fics I've ever read. The characterization is impeccable - Draco, Hermione, Harry, McGonagall, Lupin, and Penelope especially come of quite well. The American contingent Harry hides out with are an amazing amalgamation of sympathetic magic, herb-craft, and Native American traditions. I love the notion of a magic school at Disney, and Sunday is a lovely original character. The linguistics are excellent as well, the notion of spellcasting having a dialect that purebloods speak differently from others, and the idea of calligromancy. But I have to warn you, it's also one of the most legitimately fucking terrifying stories I've ever read. The curse-mines all over Hogwarts, the conditional clauses (including "hide", "multiply", and "target Headmaster/Minister of Magic/all Hogwarts professors") and sheer horror-movie feel of the piece just build and build, and there are consequences.
by afterthree and thirty2flavors
- Recommended by Goodwrench, Komodo Classic
- Pairing: James/Lily
- Synopsis: "If I promise never to try and flick ice-cubes down the front of your shirt again, can I have my glasses back?" Assorted MWPP-Era madness, letter-style.
- Comments: Very funny and charming James/Lily piece. There needs to be more fanfics like this.
Obsessive Lily Disorder
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Pairing: Remus/Tonks
- Synopsis: The last words of a dying man force Remus Lupin into a dangerous investigation at the infamous Feral Institute.
- Comments: A good romance, as well as an excellent action/adventure piece. This is THE big Remus/Tonks story. The author's other stories, such as Oblivious and A_Little_More_Time are also good.
The Shoebox Project
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Pairing: James/Lily
- Synopsis: James worships the ground Lily, er, throws him on? Includes stalking, Polyjuice potion and James attempting many acts of suicide such as drowning his head in toilet bowls because Apple Of His Eye Evans hates his guts. Or does she?
- Comments: Truly lunatic romance, and highly recommended. The author's also written several other excellent stories.
by ladyjaida and dorkorific
The Sinews of Thy Heart
- Recommended by Lost Lenore
- Pairing: Lily/James and Remus/Sirius
- Synopsis: Follows the Marauders during their last two years at Hogwarts and for a couple of years afterwards. Deals with general Hogwarts life, as well as the sexual tension between Lily and James, and between Sirius and Remus.
- Comments: Known for its humour, good characterisation and snappy dialogue, this comes highly recommended. It manages to be both hilarious and heartwarming As a bonus, Peter isn't completely stupid and annoying. This Troper isn't a fan of Lily/James, but this fic made the ship almost likeable. Also made This Troper pull an all-nighter just to read it, and she doesn't regret it.
- This Troper sometimes feels as though she is the only person in fandom who not only doesn't ship Remus/Sirius, but has never had the faintest inkling of why this pairing is so popular. However, this fic is so utterly awesome that the pairing feels as plausible as if it were canon (even if it didn't actually convert this troper to the ship). And that opinion can be extended to everything about this fic — awesome, believable, well-characterized, really well-written, and completely deserving of its status as a major, influential Big Name Fanfic and source of much HP Fanon. Due partly to its length, a full overview would be too long and complicated, but high points are the James/Lily romance story (which this troper is biased in favor of, but is told impressively well whether you ship it or not), and Peter's wonderfully nuanced, believable, and ultimately heartbreaking characterization. This fic avoids one of this troper's biggest pet peeves — making Peter Obviously Evil, a cliche that causes major plot holes for canon events — and does one of the best jobs averting it that this troper has ever seen.
- Has its own page.
A Feast in Azkaban
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Pairing: Remus/Hermione
- Synopsis: The war altered nothing at Grimmauld Place. The house stayed the same, but its inhabitants changed. Against every natural law, Remus Lupin found a place where he belonged inside one of the largest hearts he'd ever known: the heart of Hermione Granger.
- Comments: The best Remus/Hermione story in the fandom.
by Nyx Fixx
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Pairing: Remus/Sirius slash
- Synopsis: How did Sirius Black Spend twelve years in Azkaban and come out relatively sane, when others in his situation went mad or died of despair in a matter of weeks?
- Comments: Powerful and angsty. The author has written several other good HP stories.
by leave this world
Cuatro Mexicanos en Hogwarts ¡Desmadre total!
- Recommended by Magyareagle
- Pairing: Harry/Bellatrix
- Synopsis:In the aftermath of the Final battle a misplaced spell sends HP and Bellatrix to an alternative world. It holds everything each of them have lost to the war and yet they find themselves inexorably drawn back to each other. HPBella done right.
- Comments: Perhaps the most realistic Harry/Bellatrix fanfic I have ever come across. Dark, and twisted, this story captures Bellatrix's personality perfectly. I believe that the author's summary sums this up best: Harry/Bella done right.
(In English it would be: Four Mexicans at Hogwarts ¡Total Chaos!) by Lenore Marcus
Tied For Last
- Recommended by l0v3nist
- Pairings: Snape/OC, Harry/Ron, Draco/OC Hermione/OC
- Synopsis: Four Mexicans received their owls with their admittance to Hogwarts at a little late age. They are three girls and a boy: Bárbara A. Mondragon from Cd. Madero Tamaulipas, Regina Bladó Altamira, from the same city and lifelong friend of Bárbara and Azucena Montemayor Garza from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. The Boy is named Bryan Arnulfo Perez Lopez, he is from Tepito and he is a Naco. The story revolves around these mexican students and the attempts of Barbara to win Snape's heart with very crowning moments of heartwarming and hilarity. Bryan (A.K.A. El chuntaro) is a boy who don't get Snape's sarcasms and he really thinks the Slytherin headmaster is his Friend. Hilarity ensued
- Comments: This Fanfic is only available in Spanish. The story is set in an alternate timeline of Harry Potter PoA. The authors plays with the culture clash between UK and Mexico and the mexican slang, Snape is very in character, and the OC have their issues and flaws, which makes them very human and deep, and a little insane. Gotta love the "Hagrid Effect"! So far they have 8 chapters.
- Warning: Lemon, explicit dream sex scenes and strong language.
Mythical Alliance, Jade Green Eyes and Beyond Expectations
- Recommended by Spooner Wilkins, Shebali, pisoprano
- Pairing(s): Hermy/Tom Riddle Jr, also some other pairings not quite canon-bound.
- Synopsis: Hermione is killed by Voldemort during the last battle for Hogwarts, and is now dead. Well, sort of. Turns out that death is a little more complex than she knew... Not your standard shipping fic. Ignores the epilogue and the last 50ish pages of DH. Don't be put off by the pairing, this one is definitely worth the read.
- Warning: Angst, some foul language, and some rollercoastering of emotions. There's also some descriptions of sex and not to forget actual character death (so yeah... forget about that epilogue-thingie at the train station, that's so not happening this time around)
- Very much seconded by Shebali, who didn't even consider this pairing before. Also, Speechwriter is currently renovating the story to improve general quality and the results really are something. Do check out if haven't yet.
When Harry Met Hermione
- Recommended by gracieJ96 and Flame Feathers
- Pairing(s): Harry/Lucius Malfoy, among others.
- They say there's no such thing as a magical Animagus. They're wrong. Harry Potter, Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy join together in an alliance no one, especially Voldemort, is expecting
- After the war, Harry can never go out in public, so invents Jade Jameson, and goes out as her instead.
- Sixth Year has begun. With Voldemort gone, it should all be perfect, right? Wrong. Changes are coming, and some things are Beyond even Harry's Expectations.
- Comments: really deep and brilliantly well-written. I hope none of you are too found of Dumbledore, because I will NEVER look at him the same way again.
by chem prof
- Recommended by LightningStorm93
- Pairing: Harry/Hermione
- Synopsis: What if Harry met Hermione first, and became friends with her, before he met Ron? This story relates Harry's first meeting with Hermione, and continues with the times they meet each other at the beginning of every year. H/Hr
- Comments: An excellent look at the relationship between Harry and Hermione, and highly recommended for fans of the pairing. Be forewarned, Ron fans, there is some (slight) Ron bashing in places.
- A resounding "meh" from this troper. I've read it before it was recommended, and it suffers the usual chem prof cliches of Hermione's family being more open sexually/nudists, a bigger role for Fleur, Cho and the other hot girls, and the complete marginalisation of the Weasleys (when they're not screwing one of the pretty girls). Harry and Hermione's relationship also develops far too quickly to be realistic It's well-written (in regards to spelling, punctuation, etc.) and the earlier chapters don't fall so much into those pitfalls, but that's about all there is to recommend it. — Medicus
- The G: Likewise from me, while I had no problems about the speed of Harry and Hermione's relationship advanced, I did have a problem with how the story was paced, in that it basically summarises a full year of Hogwart's without going into much detail, add to that, the story is only 6 chapters long and you have a fic you can get through in one sitting, it's a shame the author didn't go into a lot of detail as they're some differences in this story from the canon material that would've been interesting to divulge into such as Pettigrew is arrested, Voldemort isn't revived, Sirius and Cedric don't die and Cedric basically replaces Ron in the trio while Sirius' name is cleared and becomes a free man etc. That being said, each chapter glances over the previous years events, i.e: Chapter 4 recaps Prisoner of Azkaban (Year 3), Chapter 5 recaps Goblet of Fire (Year 4), with the exception of the final chapter which flashes forward to Harry and Hermione's wedding. There's no Squick to be found (Except for a single instance where Sirius considers flirting with Fleur). The author even calls out authors who write about Underage Sex in Harry Potter Fics While this fic waits until they both adults and on the eve of getting marred to even mention that they've done it. Overall, an OK Fic that might warm the heart of a Harry/Hermione fan, if you don't mind a bit of Ron bashing (and believe me, there's quite a bit of that), give it a go.
by Nea Marika
- Recommended by Mazz
- Pairing: Harry/Tom Riddle
- Synopsis: During the fight in the Department of Mysteries at the end of Order of the Phoenix, the Time Turners are broken accidentally, sending Harry back in time to the Hogwarts years of Tom Riddle. Notable for averting most failings of the 'Harry travels to Tom Riddle's era and falls in love with him' trend.
New Beginnings and Old Tree Houses
- Recommended by Kathadrion, feral
- Pairing: Harry/Tom Riddle
- Synopsis: "Abandoned on the streets of London, 16 year old Harry Potter must find a way to survive. What's the Boy Who Lived to do?"
by The Treacle Tart
- Recommended by Kathadrion
- Pairing: Ron/Remus
- Synopsis: Three small children are the only survivors of a horrible attack on a school. Ron Weasely decides that someone needs to look after them. He also decides that that someone needs the sort of help that only Remus Lupin can provide.
, by coffeecupcakegirl
Haggis From Algernon
- Recommended by quantumspork
- Pairings: Lucius/Narcissa, several others later in the story
- Synopsis: Begins with Lucius and Narcissa's time at Hogwarts and how they fall in love, and then branches out into many more viewpoints and storylines. Still in progress, and currently past Deathly Hallows in the timeline. (Compatible with all the books.)
- Comments: This is a vast, sprawling epic that fills in the background of the Potterverse in ways you never imagined. Every character is given complexity and depth, often much more so than in canon. The Lucius/Narcissa romance is particularly well done, with just the right combination of realism and fantasy. The author's English is a little clunky sometimes as she's not a native speaker, but overall it's beautifully written. YMMV at some of the pairings and backstory choices.
by Vea and GhostOfBambi
Goldilocks and the Four Heads of Houses
- Recommended by Valjean
- Pairing: James Potter/Lily Evans
- Synopsis: The fic about nothing. Humor, 101,594 Words.
- Comments: Take one food-retrieving pet cat from the depths of your darkest nightmares, add two characters with more magnetism than a pair of magnets, set it alight with a smoldering, crackling ball of sexual tension, lob the whole thing into the golden Marauders' era, and you get this. I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't feel too uneasy about stating that this may be my favorite fanfic ever written in the entire universe. Set mainly during the Marauders' sixth year, it's part humor, part romance, part cat!love, and all sprinkled over with a light dusting of crack. This is the big, fat, sprawling James/Lily epic romance saga told entirely in the rib-crackingly hilarious day-by-day journal entries of the two lovers-to-be as they slowly fall in love despite (or because) of a conga line of whacky hijinks, hilarious blunders, teen drama, death eater uprisings, and everyday misunderstandings. As told with pitch-perfect comedic timing and Rowlingesque compact chronology, the Marauders are brilliant beyond belief, Lily's OC girlfriends could have stepped out of the original books, and the authors' fantastically alive voices for James and Lily capture the friction, attraction, and frustration of the two central characters in a way that makes them pop out the page without straying far from the books, except with regards to the titular Algernon, to whom I (and James and Lily) owe my deepest thanks.
Folie à Deux
- Recommended by: Rereh2, Fiasco
- Pairing(s): Severus Snape/ Minerva Mcgonagall (Friendship)
- Synopsis: The story takes place in Harry's second year. Gilderoy Lockhart (or how the whole staff has taken to call him secretly - Goldilocks) got the wrong idea that Severus Snape fancies him and decides to go for it. He meets the Potions Professor in the Library, in the night of Valentine's Day. Minerva Mcgonagall and Pomona Sprout end up in the Library as well and Pomona makes one (or maybe two) good points and Minerva decides to help. Later on, Filius end up there as well, and seems in shock.
- Comments: With a HUGE dose of humor, the author manages to make a really good history envolving the beloved Heads of Hogwarts' Houses and the pain that is Lockhart. As the author says, this could be a real missing peace of the second book, and it IS really funny (hillarious really) and not hard to imagine the scene actually happening. A really important thing is that the characters do not look OC, Gilderoy is as pompous as ever, Minerva and Severus show how much Quidditch matters to them; Pomona is trying to "help", like every good Hufflepuff and Filius, always the gentleman, won't spy on anyone... but don't forget that he does have a really nice sense of humor. Really worth checking out!
- Recommended by: Rereh2
- Pairing(s): Severus Snape/ Minerva McGonagall
- Synopsis: The story takes place in Harry's second year and it is a sequel to "Goldlocks and the Four Heads of Houses". After that rather "fateful" night, the Heads of Gryffindor and Slytherin start to act differently towards each other, and all of the sudden the rest of Hogwarts' staff seems to think that Severus and Minerva are the perfect match. But they don't seem to think so. And certanly, neither does Gilderoy "Goldilocks" Lockhart.
- Comments: As humorous as its prequel, but with a bit of drama and a good amount of romance. Daily Prophet Editor still manages to keep the characters in line and give us a excellent tour into the mind of not only Severus, Minerva and Goldlocks but of many of the other staff members and two other creatures. Also keeping the fic faithful to the facts of the Second Book. A really good fanfic to read.
- Warning: This fanfic contains an important information of the seventh book.
, by Caeria
- Recommended by: The Serial Typist, Fenro
- Synopsis: Hermione overhears something she shouldn't concerning Professor Snape and decides that maybe the House-elves aren't the only ones in need of protection.
- Comments: While it delves into AU territory as it was originally written prior to the release of both Deathly Hallows and the Half-blood prince,her translation has all of JKR's ideas and emotions etc in there, getting the characters and settings to a "T". Particularly Fred and George. Love them. However,she also has her own subtle style mixed in, with minor differences and layouts such as her switch of scenes that do reminice the film style of doing so. Most noticably the fact that it is written by someone who is not British, and so has tell-tale American lingo and cultural references. I find this exceptionally refreshing and if it were identical to JKR's own work, it would lack the excitement of "playing with her toys" that one gets from reading fanfiction. As for it being a fanfiction of the romantic inclination, I was originally perturbed at the very idea of Severus Snape pairing up with Hermione Granger, but after curiosity got the better of me, decided to read the work. I have come across plenty of poorly written fanfics or just fluff pieces for sake of fluff, it gave me immense pleasure to read something where someone has decided to deliberately lay out a careful plan and treat it how real literature is meant to be treated.
- Now has it's own page!!
- Pairing(s): (Slow burn) Severus Snape/Hermione Granger
It Happened One Night
- Recommended by: Fiasco
- Pairing(s): Scabior/Hermione (onesided)
- Synopsis: 'Scabior smells sunlight and flowers as he stands in the woods: wanting her, needing her, chasing her.' A missing scene or rather perspective from the DH 1 film - it could be film canon. Scabior catches the scent of Hermione and is captivated and driven to hunt her.
- Comments: Firstly the writing is beautiful, easy to read and flows very nicely. Secondly is that the writer does not attempt to soften up Scabior - he's a hunter, he's a snatcher, and he's a man who has been in the woods for a little bit too long. As said above this could very easiely fit into the film and appears IC as far as Scabior goes from the film. Short and sweet to put it.
I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
- Recommended by: MCanter89
- Pairing(s): Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione
- Synopsis: Harry and Ginny's first time together leads to teen pregnancy and marriage. Written/begins post-OotP and before HBP.
- Tags: Romance
Ginny Weasley and the Half-Blood Prince
- Recommended by: Mac Phisto
- Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Narcissa Malfoy Draco Malfoy/Neville Longbottom
- Synopsis: Beginning the summer after the war, trials are being held for former Death Eaters. Harry's testimony acquits Narcissa, while Lucius and Draco receive only house arrest in addition to financial liabilities. Narcissa feels deeply in debt to Harry, and wants to thank him "properly." Surprisingly, Harry will have none of that, and wants to get to know her proper. As they bond, they fall in love and have an affair. Narcissa files for divorce, but Lucius attacks her in a jealous rage. The assault violates his probation, and Lucius is sent to Azkaban. Narcissa is hospitalized but stable and fotunately, the attack did not harm the baby.
- Comments: The author pays great attention to detail, and is setting the stage for something bigger.
by Reis Macleod
- Recommended by: Ephyon
- Pairing(s): Harry/Ginny
- Synopsis: The Half-Blood Prince seen from Ginny’s point of view. Completely canon-compliant and blending seamlessly with the events of the book. Despite the title, the story actually begins at the end of Order of the Phoenix and continues all the way to the 19 Years After epilogue.
- Tags: Romance
Notebooks and Letters
- Recommended by lhklan, Looney Toons
- Summary:A man who is lost in his own country. A girl who needs her mate to survive. A tale of Quidditch and romance, of anger and betrayal, of friendship and enmity. A story of the power of hope.
- Comment: A very good read. Jeconais take the usual bonding cliche then added his own personal touch, turning this into a very interesting and heartwarming story. I'm honestly surprised that a story as good as this wasn't recommended yet.
by Chem Prof
Protection From Nargles
- Recommended by Lightning Storm 93
- Pairing: Harry/Hermione
- Summary: The "true" version of Books 5, 6, and 7, as told by Hermione to her daughter years later, using her old journals and letters between her and Harry.
- Comment: The story basically retells the story of books 5, 6 and 7 (though reducing some of it considerably). The relationship between Harry and Hermione develops believably, and the story doesn't fall into as many of Chem Prof's clichés as some of his other stories do. It also deconstructs some of J.K. Rowling's elements from the stories ( The trace is found to be a superstition to keep wizarding children in line, it is impossible to mimic parseltongue like Ron did in Deathly Hallows, the Taboo on Voldemort's name is not present), as well as expanding on some moments. It also becomes very dark later on (it's rated M for a reason). It runs for a total of forty chapters, and is well worth a read. Personally I found it absolutely riveting, though as with many stories.
by Arpad Hrunta
Post Tenebras, Lux
- Recommended by The G, Mazz
- Pairing: Harry/Luna
- Summary: Takes place during Book 5, Asks a simple question, What if Luna had kissed Harry under the mistletoe that night after the D.A meeting since he has no protection from the Nargles that are inside of it? And because of that one gesture of kindness; over the course of the christmas break and with the help of Sirius, Harry begins to realise that he's fallen for "Loony" Lovegood.
- Comment(s): Takes a simple AU concept, "What if Luna was Harry's first kiss instead of Cho?" and does it beautifully, at the time that this recommendation was published; there are only 2 Chapters (with it being a fairly new fanfic) but both are incredibly well written and Chapter 2 is garanteed to give you 17 different warm and fuzzy feelings inside your heart, it's that good.
- And I just have to post my favourite quote too
Luna: You shouldn't stand under mistletoe anymore these holidays, though, Harry. Nargles are a real threat, and you don't have one of these (points to her charm necklace)
Harry: Got it. No more mistletoe. I wouldn't want to get Nargled.
- Update: There's now 5 chapters, seriously, if you're a Harry/Luna shipper, you've got no excuse not to read this.
- YMMV, at least in the beginning: I hated how the author just cut straight to the kiss without showing the time in which Harry fell in love with Luna beyond just talking about it. I've only read the first chapter a while ago, I admit, but that part rubbed me the wrong way when I read it; I wanted to see those scenes, not just be told about them.
- The fic is now complete at 9 chapters, first chapter of the sequel "Harry and Luna Against the High Inquisitor" has been posted.
Eight Ways From Sunday
- Recommended by: SMARTALIENQT
- Pairing(s): Severus Snape/Hermione Granger
- Synopsis: "After Darkness, Light." A chance meeting ten years after the war may not be just a coincidence, and may prove to have very far-reaching consequences. A story of many things, but primarily of healing.
- Tags: AU, Future Fic, explicit and smutty sexual content
A Snake Named Voldemort
- Recommended by: RoseAndHeather
- Pairing(s): Harry/Hermione, Ron/Padma, Draco/Ginny, Dean/Seamus
- Synopsis: A sixth-year post-GoF ensemble comic romance. "It could be standing before you, needing a bit of a push. Or sitting beside you, waiting for you to let go. Perhaps it's sneaking up from behind, hoping you will turn around. But sometimes, love falls from a clear blue sky, and you just have to catch it. How do you decide which is the right path, when you're only sixteen?"
- Comment(s): A rare Harry/Hermione fic that not only develops the romances believably, but avoids Ron the Death Eater in spectacular fashion. All four pairings make an incredible amount of sense, but the crowning achievement in that department has to be Ron/Padma. What could have been a bad case of Pair the Spares instead becomes just one more incredibly well-written pairing. And Hidden Depths abound for all. Highly recommended by this diehard OBHWF shipper.
The Unbreakable Vow
- Recommended by: RunicHealer, Mazz, feral
- Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Lord Voldemort-Tom Riddle
- Summary: After being turned into a snake and unable to change back, Lord Voldemort is forced to turn to the only other living Parselmouth, Harry Potter. After making a deal, Harry agrees to help the Dark Lord return to his human form. eventual SLASH HP/LVTMR
- Comment(s): This story deviates from a trend where Harry turns into a snake and Voldemort falling in love with him. This is very humorous, the pacing is moderate and the romance is well written and believable. Each moment between Harry and Voldemort in his snake form is touching and other times deserves a big laugh. Other than the romance, what keeps this going is the political on goings of the wizarding world and how Tom and Harry will change them. All in all, this is a good read and a good fuel for TMR/HP lovers.
- Tags: Complete, NonHBP compliant, explicit scenes.
by Ash Darklighter
- Recommended by: Milarqui
- Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley/Hermione Granger, Draco Malfoy/Pansy Parkinson
- Summary: A woman called Jenny Peters is driving towards her home, her son in the back of the car, across a barely used road. Suddenly, coloured streams of light begin to fly across the sky. She calls her husband Gary, believing they might have been found by those they are hiding from. However, it turns out that neither Gary nor Jenny are who they say: their true names are Harry Potter and Ginevra Weasley, and they have been hiding for five years.
- Comment(s): This story is a truly good one, starting in medias res with a married Harry and Ginny that suddenly realise that their time of hiding from the magical world is about to end, and then jumping to five years before, when Harry managed to kill Voldemort - but only he knows what happened - at a nearly too high cost, the loss of his magic, which was only prevented thanks to Madam Pomfrey's intervention. When Percy decides to use a loophole that makes him the head of the Weasley family (Arthur died a few months before, and neither Bill nor Charlie are in England) to force Ginny to marry Draco Malfoy in order to gain political credit (an offer Lucius Malfoy takes happily given that Voldemort has disappeared and he wishes to secure his family's future), Harry and Ginny decide to do a magical ritual that formalises their love for each other and then run away and disappear so that neither Ginny may be forced to marry with Malfoy nor Harry be forced to return to the Dursleys since Dumbledore believes Harry has completely lost his ability to do magic. The story only improves as things unravel and continue on their path, with many plans being made by people from all sides as things slowly go towards the hoped happy ending.
- Updates are infrequent, but going.
- Recommended by: LittleWuve
- Pairing(s): George/OC, mentioned Fred/Angelina
- Summary: Melinda Stringer, a muggle girl whose entire family gets murdered by Death Eaters, decides to take part in the war against Voldemort alongside the Weasley twins. To be more specific, Death Eaters believe that her older brother, a wizard loosely involved with the Order, has told his family details about the organisation, which he hasn't, and murder Mel's parents when they can't tell them anything. Mel will then be taken in by the Weasleys, so that she stays in a safe place for the duration of the war.
- Tags: Except for the addition of some original characters, stays as close to canon as possible. Character Death. Other than that, light romance developing at a slow pace.
Going Back: The Director's Cut
- Recommended by: Looney Toons
- Pairing(s): Hermione/Dudley Dursley
- Summary: In an Alternate Universe, after the death of Sirius, Harry gets smart and begins spending his money to improve his chances of surviving the war with Voldemort and the Death Eaters. One unexpected consequence of his actions is a collaboration between Hermione and his cousin Dudley to analyze reams of data on Death Eater activities — a collaboration which slowly evolves into a romance. A strange and yet fun blend of tender first love leavened with both the tension of the war and outright crackfickery. Written in 2006, before Deathly Hallows, it gleefully ignores any canon that gets in the way of its plot. As a special added bonus, the author is also an artist, and all the chapters come with multiple, often very funny, illustrations. Warning! One of the later chapters is very NC-17.
A Courage of Heart
- Recommended by: MandibleBones
- Pairing(s): Draco/Luna, otherwise canon pairings
- Summary: "In the middle of the battle, Draco realizes what's worth fighting for, and later, finds friends who will stand with him against a serial killer ex-Death Eater. And just maybe, Luna's not really loony." Complications arise, ensue and are overcome. A few very, very minor changes from canon, and it tends to use the film's version of the final battle as a visual reference, but it's all for the best - the feel of the books is very much there. It's also a continuation fic, but the emphasis is on Draco and Luna's relationship, so it belongs here.
by Artemis Rayne
- Recommended by Rose And Heather
- Pairings: Neville/Hannah
- Summary: "Neville Longbottom had always known that he had a different sort of bravery than his fellow Gryffindors, but will it be enough to help him stand up against his most dangerous opponent yet?" Post-DH.
- Comments: Could also be titled, "In Which Artemis Rayne Makes Sense of Neville/Hannah".
by B C Daily
Bound With Silver Threads
- Recommended by Harry BC Dresden
- Pairings: Lily/James
- Summary: "Lily has always considered herself ordinary. But as she enters her 7th year, things start changing and Lily starts going a bit mad. Suddenly, she's Head Girl, her mates are acting strangely, and there's a new James Potter she can't seem to get rid of."
- Comments: A wonderful, and at times downright hilarious portrayal of Lily and James' seventh year, told more-or-less from Lily's perspective. Be warned, closing in on 700K words, so quite a commitment, but in this troper's opinion, well worth the time.
by Snakequeen in Norway
Not A Love Story
- Recommended by Magic Kirby
- Pairings: Lily Luna Potter/Cassiopeia Malfoy (oc)
- Summary: Lily L. P. years 3-7. Why is she stuck with a Little Malfoy tagalong? What do the coming years hold for them and everyone else? Eventual femslash. Multiple pairings. Lily/OC. Stars Scorpius Malfoy's OC lil sis too. Not T til Chap 29, really 32 & not major
- Comments: Before you skip over this one just because of the oc give it a chance. Not only do you hardly even notice that the oc's are oc but the story caps out at just over 200k words giving all of the characters plenty of development and they really do develop. As stated in the summary the story isn't even really T rated till Ch. 29 and there is only 51 chapters so expect a lot more to the story than just romance.
, by guns_and_butter
Harry Potter and the Champion's Champion
- Recommended by Nim Blackhand
- Pairings: James/Sirius
- Comments: This author is the one who made me believe in James/Sirius. It's disconnected and sometimes funny and it tugs irresistably at the heartstrings, and it manages to be completely believable while being completely canon-compliant. It hurts, but it hurts exactly right.
, by DriftWood1965
- Recommended by Aust Kyzor
- Pairings: Harry/Hermione (major), Luna/Krum, Cedric/Cho
- Synopsis: Harry and Hermione become a couple. Not wanting to compete now that he has "other things to do", he gets Ron to replace him. Hilarity Ensues.
- Tags: Character Bashing
Unlike a Sister
- Recommended by blueboxed
- Pairing: Albus Dumbledore/Gellert Grindelwald
- Synopsis: Author's Summary: Go teach your children, eat your candy, preen your bird and bury me. But we were brilliant together, Albus, and not even you can change history — a correspondence between Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald.
- Comments: Absolutely beautifully written. A must read, not just for Grindeldore shippers. One of the best fics this troper has ever read.
- Concur. This Troper usually doesn't have strong emotional reactions to stories, but this one drew tears. Set aside a block of time to read the whole thing in a sitting; you won't want to stop.
by Michelle AD
Crazy Little Things
- Recommended by HugoPerson
- Pairing: Harry Potter/Hermione Granger, with some Harry/Ginny and Hermione/Ron
- Synopsis: Author's Summary: Nineteen years ago, Harry told Ron he saw Hermione as his sister. Now, Hermione is in danger and Harry's feelings for her begin to change dramatically, jeopardizing everything he once knew. An epilogue compliant fic.
- Comments: Very well written, and completely in character as far as I can tell. It's slow building, and the relationship between Harry and Hermione is very well handled. Also canon-complient!
The Accidental Bond
- Recommended by: okelay
- Synopsis: Hermiones goes to Wizard University where she meets Luna again, and while they grow up, Luna begins to woo her.
- Pairing(s): Luna/Hermione
- Tags: Post-Series, Femslash
Voldemort Goes Back To School
- Recommended by: Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: Harry finds that his "saving people thing" is a power of its own, capable of bonding single witches to him if their life is in mortal danger, with unusual results.
- Status: Complete.
- Pairing(s): Harry/Hermione/Multi Ginny/Gabrielle Delacour
Noir Et Blanc
- Recommended by feral
- Synopsis: Voldemort disguises himself as a transfer student named "Evan Farley" to gain access to Hogwarts in order to kill Harry Potter personally but things don't go according to plan... Hilarity Ensues.
- Status: Updated May 2013
- Pairing(s): Harry/Voldemort, Draco/Voldemort, Draco/Harry/Voldemort
and it's sequel Un Coeur Gris
by Tsurai no Shi
- Recommended by feral
- Synopsis: AU When he'd asked, Ron had never expected this... Harry was a gay, immortal, time traveling, Dark vampire who was in love with the Dark Lord. Manipulative!Dumbledore, Loyal!Ron
- Status: Dead
- Pairing(s): Harry/Voldemort, one-sided Ginny/Harry, past Ron/Hermione
by Mia Ugly
Deal With The Devil
- Recommended by JumpingBeans
- Pairings: Snape/Harry, Ron/Hermione, non-explicit Harry/Ginny, one-sided Ginny/Hermione
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Snape sees the man, for the first time, on his twenty-fifth birthday.
- Comments: This is a time-travel story, and one of the most brilliantly written ones out there. Basically, Harry goes back in time, meets a younger Severus Snape and falls in love. It doesn't take place at Hogwarts, so it doesn't read like a cheesy high school fic, and instead it focuses more on Snape's muggle life.
- Recommended by feral
- Pairings: Tom/Harry, Harry/OCs, Harry/Lucius, Minerva/Poppy, Neville/Luna, past Dumbledore/Grindewald, one-sided Harry/Ginny, Snape/Lily, Sirius/Remus, Tonks/Remus, and Bellatrix/Voldemort
- Synopsis: Post OotP, ignoring HBP and soon to be ignoring DH. Harry is finished with being the Light's whipping boy, the tragic boy hero that the world pinned its hopes on. He allows himself to be taken to another realm, only to emerge after ten years in the moment he left... with a whole new plan for himself. Maturity brings about understanding, and Harry understands just fine. This time, he'll chose his side in the war. The Light will never know what hit it. Vampire!Harry Dark!Harry, metamorphagus!Voldemort, unstable!Hermione, Death Eater!McGonagall, manipulative but well-meaning!Dumbledore
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by feral
- Pairings: Tom/Harry, Snape/Lily, Sirius/Remus, Lavender/Ron, Hermione/Ron, Grindelwald/Dumbledore, Draco/Blaise, Cedric/Cho, Fleur/Bill, James/Ginny, past Harry/Cho, James/Lily and Voldemort/Bellatrix, James/Rosemerta, one-sided Minerva/Tom, Slughorn/Tom and Slughorn/Lily
- Synopsis: Harry writes a letter of surrender to Voldemort. The Dark Lord is intrigued.
- Status: Complete
by Little Beloved
- Recommended by Ylva Thorgalsdottir
- Pairing: Hermione/Theodore Nott, Hermione/Snape, Padma/Dean, Draco/Susan, Harry/Ginny, Neville/Hannah, Neville/Luna.
- Synopsis: Deconstruction of the infamous Marriage Law.
- Status: Complete
How I Met Your Mother-George and Angelina
- Recommended by Stump-a-licious
- Pairing: Victoire Weasley/Teddy Lupin.
- Synopsis:Every relationship has a spark, but every friendship has a start. Even the best of friends can face obstacles, which Ted Lupin & Victoire Weasley must learn the hard way. Also has three more parts.
- Status: Complete
Merlin Works in Mysterious Ways
- Recommended by Xalfrea
- Pairing: George Weasley/Angelina Johnson.
- Synopsis: The story of how George and Angelina met, and the series of events that led to their eventual marriage. Crosses through pre-Hogwarts, Hogwarts, and post-Hogwarts.
- Status: Complete
Fallen Flower, Rising Star
- Recommended by: FatRat
- Synopsis: When Harry is forced to form a Blood Bond with a destitute Draco Malfoy under threat of death, he thinks he'll have to contend with a cold home for the next 100 years. But when a group of left-over Death Eaters decides to stir trouble, their lives change completely – and it takes them both some years to figure out whether it's for better or for worse. Post Series.
- Status: Complete
The Dance of the Dreoilin
- Recommended by: Mac Phisto
- Sequel to "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud" (see above).
- Pairing(s): Same as previously, with the addition of Bellatrix/Hermione, and Ron/Gabrielle with mentions of past Narcissa/Lily, Bellatrix/Alice.
- Synopsis: As Narcissa is recovering at St. Mungo's, she encounters Alice Longbottom. Using Legillimency, she is able to "speak" with Alice, and discovers that when she was tortured, Bellatrix accidentally made her a living Horcrux, like Voldemort did to Harry. She also has another Horcrux hidden somewhere in Diagon Alley. With the help of Harry, Hermione, Draco, Neville, and her father's portrait, Narcissa is determined to not only return her sister to life, but redeem her very soul. NOTE: This is a long one.
- Comments: Wow. The ammount of reseach is incredible. I've never seen an author devote so much knowledge to the histories of art, alchemy, religion, witchcraft, etc. It's a long read, but you'll be anxious the entire time.
The Marriage Stone
- Recommended by feral
- Pairing(s): Tom/Harry, Sirius/Remus, Hagrid/Maxine, Viktor/Ron, Draco/Hermione, Blaise/Ginny, Fred/Angelina/George, Regulus/Barty Jr, McGonagall/McGregor, Dumbledore/Grindelwald
- Synopsis: The Yule Ball did not go well, so Dobby decides to use ancient elf magic to create another Christmastide ball for Harry and his friends. But elf magic is a dangerous thing - you may get exactly what you wish for. Harry/Tom romance.
- Status: Complete
by Josephine Darcy
The Boy Who Died A Lot
- Recommended by Bronze Wool
- Pairing(s): Harry/Snape, Sirius/Remus, Ron/Hermione, Draco/Charlie
- Synopsis: SSHP. To avoid the machinations of the Ministry, Harry must marry a reluctant Severus Snape. But marriage to Snape is only the beginning of Harry's problems. Voldemort has returned, and before too long Harry's marriage may determine the world's fate.
- Status: Incomplete
- Comments: Despite how cliché the premise sounds, the story itself focuses around the politics of the Wizarding world and the growing war with Voldemort as Harry gains power and supporters, becoming sort of a King Arthur figure. On the romantic side, the progression between Snape and Harry is slow and realistic, as they learn to open up to one another and develop a platonic relationship for the majority of the story (they don't even officially become a couple until chapter 72!). The only downside is that the fanfic was left unfinished after 77 chapters for unknown reasons and most likely will never be concluded.
Friends and Enemies
- Recommended by feral
- Pairing(s): Harry/Snape
- Synopsis: Harry's always been known as The Boy Who Lived. Only Severus knows that this is a lie. (Or: a portrait of Severus Snape, in seven acts.)
- Status: Complete
- Recommendedby yourbrainontaint
- Pairing(s): Draco Malfoy/Luna, minor Harry/Hermione/Ron
- Synopsis: 'Draco Malfoy has been ordered to kill Albus Dumbledore - an impossible task. How far will Draco go to save himself? Can he convince the sainted Harry Potter to believe in him? And what happens if he falls in love with his most unlikely ally in Dumbledore's Army - Luna Lovegood? Set at the beginning of HPB.'
- Status: Complete
Written In The Body
- Recommended by feral
- Pairings: Voldemort/Harry, Ron/Hermione, Neville/Ginny
- Synopsis: What was going to happen to him was something terrifying; all his instincts were rebelling against his decision but Harry resisted. Now it was his turn to make a sacrifice and ensure their survival. Compliant with the DH up to the events in Malfoy Manor.
- Status: Updated April 2014
For I Have Been Made New
- Recommended by hjgz89
- Pairing(s): Hermione/Ginny
- Synopsis: Being tortured by Bellatrix changes Hermione in a big way. She decides that no one else is allowed to write her life and is determined to live her life her own way, whatever the cost. This includes going after the love of her dreams if only she could figure out who they are.
- Status: Updated December 2013
Love is blind
- Recommended by Rose And Heather
- Pairing(s): Draco/Astoria
- Synopsis: She had always loved him, even unconsciously, even when he was horrible, even when she didn't deserve him. He hadn't known, but once he did, nothing could stop him from loving her back.
- Status: Completed
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- Pairings: James/Lily
- Synopsis: James Potter loses his glasses and seeks help from Head Girl, Lily Evans, to be his guide dog. No doubt, unintentional boob grabbing always occurs with temporary blindness.
- Status: Oneshot