Fanfic Recs: Harry Potter Continuation
Proof that the other 10% is worth continuing to die for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Harry Potter
Continuation fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Conversion from the "Comments" section to the "Reviews" option is underway. If you are adding a fic, please help us out and use the new template-format on the Fanfic Recommendations Index Page. Please start moving your comments to the reviews sections as we will soon start removing them.
Fics that continue the story from where the books left off
Hogwarts Houses Divided
- Recommended by Rolla
- Synopsis: The final battle took place at Hogwarts, between Dumbledore and Voldemort. The events that happened there are quite unknown to all but the sole witness, Harry Potter. The aftermath was felt throughout Britain, most strongly at the areas surrounding Hogwarts. An oppressive leeching force drained the ambient magic innately required by all wards, structural magics and indeed the humans themselves. This force was known as the "Ambient Loss" and its origin and reason are unknown. Britain is now a no-mans-land; murders are frequent, as are muggings. But the things which they steal are not merely your possessions, but your very vitae itself. In a land where power is all you have, and blood itself is indicative of that power, can you survive with your body and morals intact?
- Status: Updated in 2012
- Comments: Excellent story, very few obvious mistakes, great plot. The plot itself is more of a twofold plot with a personal one focusing on Harry and the people he interacts with and affects. Along with a larger plot focusing why the Ambient Loss occurred, and why Harry is seemingly immune to it. Great characterization all around; Harry is slightly cracked, as is everyone around him, leading to interesting characters who are not merely defined by those cracks and seem to evolve. The villains are delightfully twisted and the post-apoc setting is done disturbingly well. As to the rest, read it yourself.
Glass Half Full
- Recommended by Fireangel265, Roo, Shadow AI, Kittastrophe, Hazl, MtheR, Moo92, Keshia, jgf, Bhadratheboss
- Synopsis:The war is over, and all is well, they say, but the wounds remain unhealed. Bitterness divides the Houses of Hogwarts. Can the first children born since the war's end begin a new era, or will the enmities of their parents be their permanent legacy?
- Status: Complete
- Comments: Tells the story of Teddy Lupin's first year at Hogwarts. Not only does this story feel like a Harry Potter book, but it stuck so close to the Word of God that I had to remind myself after reading that this is not actually canon. WARNING: Even though Harry and the rest of the gang make an appearence, this is mainly about Teddy and the kids he's going to Hogwarts with. Expect a lot of OC.
- Roo: Words cannot express how much this is seconded. The writing is absolutely amazing, capturing the tone and feel of Rowling's world and characters but still with its own twist on it. The dialogue is brilliant, all the canon characters are in character, and the original characters are entertaining and likeable. Best of all, no character bashing, no overpowered Super!characters, no Author Filibusters, and a decent plot that develops in a logical way. Look for the Sorting Hat in one of its best fanfic roles to date!
- MtheR: Wow. So very seconded. I wasn't really expecting much from this fic—and in fact, I didn't love the first couple of chapters—since, as a rule, I tend not to love continuation fics. But it was good enough to keep me reading, and I'm incredibly glad I did. Some of the best OCs I've seen, including perhaps my favorite ever: Ophilia Karait.
- Moo92: Wow, I adore this fic. I wish it were canon.
- Munchx3: Seconded to infinity. The author clearly did their research, sticking as close to Word of God as humanely possible. The story also feels and reads like an actual Harry Potter novel, which certainly helps, and the characters, both OCs and previously existing ones, are handled flawlessly. All in all, an excellent fic, highly recommended.
- Bhadratheboss: Love love love this one. Only complaint is that it doesn't have a sequel:(
- Now has its own page. Could do with some love... and maybe a better summary.
There's Always A Way
- Recommended by Lagomorph
- Synopsis: Twenty years after the battle at Hogwarts, it's not happily ever after.
- Warnings: Substance abuse, filthy language, lots of smoking references
- Status: Complete
- Comments: Ron/Pansy, in a way that doesn't make my head explode.
- Recommended by Rogue 7, Psalm of Fire, Looney Toons, Kogut
- Synopsis: A one-shot response to the "Marriage Law" plot hook. When research regarding declining birthrates and rising squib numbers comes to light (too much pureblood inbreeding, naturally), the Ministry has a complete meltdown and passes a law that requires all unwed purebloods to marry halfbloods and muggleborns in an effort to remedy the situation. Of course the Ministry being the wretched hive of corruption and injustice that it is, the process quickly turns draconian and oppressive, but when Ginny and Hermione are matched up with Lucius and Draco, an injured Harry puts his foot down and calls in some outside assistance...
- Comments: Imagine the protagonist of Burn Notice set in the Harry Potter 'verse. Wonderfully snarky and intelligent.
- Psalm of Fire: I'm not a big fan of anything short of epic length, but I love S'Tarkan/Viridian's writing so much I had to read everything he's written. I wasn't disappointed, this oneshot is a whole bunch of fun!
- Seraviel: This is the ultimate shortfic. Viridian proves with this that he can write more than epics.
- rinsimyaldee: This Troper has to disagree, this fic did not impress. I am not really a fan of Viridian's writing style, so this fic was really just more of the same. There was simply not enough detail here, I know it is a oneshot, but it seemed to gloss over the only aspects of the story I really wanted to see, and left out any development for a potentially awesome character. Perhaps a two-shot or three-shot might have redeemed this fic, but as is, it didn't meet standard.
- Comartemis: Rec thirded. Not exactly an epic saga, but a good read if you just want to burn five or ten minutes.
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by Looney Toons, Dor
- Synopsis: In the aftermath of the defeat of Voldemort, the Wizarding World goes down a path almost as dark as Tom Riddle's. And in response, Harry, Hermione and Luna find themselves forced to take the most drastic possible measures in order to save the best of the world in which they grew up.
- Comments: Like many Bobmin works, this is a Harry/Hermione ship and features Super!Harry. However, even if those two traits usually turn you off from a fic, don't pass this one by. Well-written and unlike anything else out there in my experience, Wizards Fall will have you simultaneously hating and pitying the villains of the piece even as the heroes' success is vaguely bittersweet. Features one of the most extraordinary versions of Luna Lovegood I've ever seen in fanfic.
- Kogut: For me it was disappointment: lame sex-related jokes, low quality technobable, severe case of "magic exists only in Britain", OOC cruel acts, "most drastic possible measures" are used before attempting something less damaging, reaction of magic world is not believable...
After the End
- Although this is a stand-alone story, it has spawned several sequels
by Arabella and Zsenya
- Recommended by Captain Timesink, Marjojo, Dm M
- Synopsis: What happens after Hogwarts and Voldemort's defeat. Extrapolates an ending to the series, which had many elements that actually ended up happening in canon, and shows the characters assimilating to "normal" life without Voldemort.
- Comments: Quite possibly the best fanfic This Troper has ever read. Warning: mild Sirius/Remus slash.
- This Troper is shocked to see only three reccs for this incredible fic. First of all, it was written entirely before the release of Order of the Phoenix. The amount that it gets right in terms of characterization and plot prediction is impressive, to say the least. It's easily the best fanfic I've ever read, and I'm not just saying that because it is what got me into fandom as a sixteen year old. It's epic in scope with close to NINE HUNDRED PAGES in length, more than 40 chapters! And it covers so many relationships, developing the characters in a way that's convincing and compelling. Pairings include: Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione (these first two were The Sugarquill's M.O.), Remus/Sirius, Bill/Fleur, Charlie/Cho, Percy/Penelope. You'll find yourself rooting for all these ships by the end of this epic. There are plenty of original characters introduced who you'll care about, too. Honestly, I think Arabella & Zsenya's idea of the Harry/Voldemort final battle was more dramatic and interesting than what happened in canon. Although it definitely didn't result in immediate peace... because the entirety of ATE is about dealing with the aftermath of the war.
- Agreed, this is a brilliant piece. It's amazing how many details they predicted correctly.
- Recommended by FatRat
- Synopsis: After the war, we gather to remember. And none of us escape unscathed, least of all Draco Malfoy...
- Comments: Am angsty one shot written way before OotP but is still moving to this day.
by loveadubdub (Next Gen)
The Apprentice and the Necromancer
- Recommended by Renagirl9
- Synopsis: My shrink says I repress feelings and emotions. She told me once that I have trouble "admitting reality" to myself. Now, I don't know if that's true. After all, I don't have the fancy Psychological Healing degree, do I?
- Comments: Not just about Rose and Scorpius. It's about basically every next gen character there is plus a few OC's. What I liked about it was that it was real. This is how you would expect the next gen kids to end up since they are bound to be spoiled and chased by media all their lives. I like how they are all such egotistical brats at the beginning and even though a few of them still are at the end (cough, James, cough) most of the kids (including Rose) have learned their lessons. It's my favorate Next Gen fic.
- As a warning: this is very rarely a happy fic. It is good, it is emotional, it is amazingly real and heartbreaking and wonderful; it is not happy.
Death and King's Cross
- Recommended by Fenro
- Pairing(s): SS/HG
- Synopsis: Snape lives and marries Hermione.—MLC with a twist turns into AU-sequel of DH with new dangers, old secrets, and much more.—Virtual penny dreadful. Many short episodes with adventure, romance, a dash of hurt/comfort, and a sprinkling of horror.
- Comments: At 251 chapters, this story is an epic. It expands on The tale of the Three Brothers very creatively. It also explores the art of Necromancy. Overall, very well done. This story is complete.
by sciathan file
Remembering With Joy
- Recommended by Wookiee, Shinji117, The Shiny Sword, Looney Toons
- Synopsis: Who knew death had etiquette enough to be personalized? Post-DH Afterlife story.
- Comments: Absolutely amazing, beautifully written one-shot comprised of snippets of varying lengths featuring the dead characters, mostly those who died during Deathly Hallows. Each afterlife is brilliantly tailored to the character (there's the epic meeting of Fred Weasley, mirrors, and James and Sirius), and leaves enough ambiguity and unanalyzed meaning to make the reader think for a long time and re-read over and over. It's also completely canon. Sirius and Dobby's interludes were especially poignant to this troper.
- Seconded. The ones that stood out for me were Peter's and Dumbledore's. I have only once (RE-TAKE) before actually had to cover my mouth to stop sobbing at a fanfic, and I certainly didn't expect to at the line "Sherbet Lemon?". Context (but MASSIVE spoiler): he's offering it to Ariana and his mother. Oh Gods.
- That wasn't the tipping point for me- I started sobbing at the line "No letters today." It's beautiful, it really is. Wholeheartedly third.
- Forthed I haven't teared up over a fic like that in a long time. It's truly a wonderful piece that needs to be read.
- Fifthed, completely. I started crying at Sirius's part, and then Fred's... But it wasn't just sadness, I was actually crying tears of happiness and laughing as I cried. So, so beautiful.
- Recommended by Eoppen.
- Synopsis: An AU fic, H/Hr, where Harry and Hermione are remembering Ron on Mexico's Dia de los Muertos.
- Comments: I loved this fic for its seamless combination of the world of Harry Potter and Mexican culture; Harry and Hermione are on holiday in Mexico after Voldemort's downfall, and know nothing about the Day of the Dead until they run smack into it. The part where they create a Dia de los Muertos altar in their hotel room, in memory of their fallen friend, is poignant and beautifully written.
by Toujours Padfoot
The ASP at Hogwarts
- Recommended by daisyq444222
- Pairing(s): James/Lily, Remus/Tonks
- Synopsis: "The village of the dead is not as peaceful as it seems." A post-Deathly Hallows afterlife story
- Comments: This is an afterlife story with a plot besides characters meeting one another after death. The author does a good job of making the village of the afterlife come 'alive' through description. The premise is kind of similar to 'The Hunger Games' with a tournament called the 'Devil's Duel' that occurs every year that the characters compete in, with the 'prize' being 24 hours on earth and the consequence of losing being the loser's soul being 'destroyed' (no one knows what really happens to it). The author focuses on a variety of characters, such as the Potters, Lupins, Snape, Cedric, Fred, and Colin Creevey, with appearances by others such as Dumbledore and Salazar Slytherin.
- Recommended by Sevenofdiamonds
- Synopsis: The adventures of Albus Severus Potter in his first year at Hogwarts after he is sorted into Slytherin.
- Comments: This fic is very much in the spirit of the earlier HP books. It's humorous, fun, and at times heartwarming and poignant. There's lots of small school adventures as well as an ongoing plot, and some great world building of the post-Voldemort culture. It also does a good job of portraying the Slytherin house and non-evil Slytherins.
by Lady Altair
you are the solace of impossibility
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Pairing: Remus/Lavender
- Synopsis: A post DH AU in three parts. We all craft our own happy endings. Even in the best of all possible worlds, romances decay and constellations fall from the sky, but Remus Lupin will pin them back up in a world that has already forgotten what he sacrificed.
- Comments: Though the pairing seems unlikely, this is a very powerful and angsty post-war romance.
and its sequel ''basilisk love songs
A Little More Time
- Recommended by daisyq444222
- Pairing: Molly Weasley II/Salazar Slytherin
- Synopsis:"She is young and smells like sunshine." Oneshot
- Comments: The pairing does, indeed, seem impossible, but the characterizations of both Molly and Salazar are great, as is the rest of the writing.
by Jess Pallas
Amends, or Truth and Reconciliation
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Synopsis: Was it possible to save two lives without altering history? Was it possible to give them a future twenty years after they had supposedly died? Teddy Lupin thought so.
- Comments: Teddy Lupin goes back in time to rescue his parents during the Battle of Hogwarts. Jess Pallas has written several good stories and this is one of the very few well-conceived time travel fics in the fandom.
by Vera Rozalsky
65 Years Later
- Recommended by phoku
- Alternate POV: Andromeda In Which the Princess Rescues the Dragon, Draco Storm Surge
- Pairings: Hermione/Neville, Draco/Neville, Hermione/Draco, Weird Polyjuice Experiments. (... let's just say everyones standards are slipping)
- Synopsis: ...and all was well. And then it got worse... The Goblins collect the debt for a certain bank robbery and Harry pays his and Ron's part. Hermione is left as a wage slave to the goblins. The British Wizarding World is cut of from the rest, her parents held in diplomatic custody and the war trials are coming ...
- Comments: The fic starts of with one of Hermione's todo lists. One entry reads: "Fix the Ministry." The fic explores the political struggles in a post-war world, rive with rouge dementors, unrepentant purebloods and a shadow werwolf society. This is a darker and edgier exploration of the crapsack world Rowling only hinted at, rive with Alternate Character Interpretations. If you can stomach the sheer detail, length and the slight hints of Mary Suedom this is a highly recommended.
Questions and Answers
- Recommended by Fambera
- Synopsis: Spoilers for D.H.! 65 years after the Battle for Hogwarts, George is dying. Oneshot
- Comments: A wonderful take on George's death, as he reunites with his other half.
- Recommended by Kateydidnt, Looney Toons
- Synopsis: Picks up right off from the Epilogue of Deathly Hallows and follows the younger generation for a few years. A fairly realistic look at how life continues. Excellent characterization (Albus is, as Molly puts it in one chapter, "exactly like Harry would have been if the Dursley's hadn't treated him like they did"). Author has a few minor deviations from canon (mostly departures from Word of God). Questions and Answers is a part of her larger post-DH universe which includes the following stories:
- Warnings: There isn't anything terribly graphic, but some characters are pretty openly sexually active.
by Lady Altair
Life Ever After
- Recommended by Maribelle, DevilsAdvocate, felixedine, Looney Toons, patriciarakel, Zadia, Keshia
- Synopsis: Oneshot. "Of course it's missing something vital. That's the point." Dennis Creevey takes up his brother's camera after the war.
- Comments: Probably the best oneshot I have ever read.
- Seconded, oh so much. I actually read this story not long after it came out, and it made me bawl. Three years later... It still has the same exact effect, and it seems /so canon/. There's one discrepancy, but unless you're a Word of God follower, then it really doesn't matter. It's a quick read, but it will make you want to read it over and over again. Absolutely beautiful.
- Thirded, Hard. It is an experience, bittersweet and poignant. Still, it is triumphant in its ending and is very well written.
- Seriously amazing. The pictures were so well-described and the little stories behind everythig was just perfect. Probably one of my favourite fics of all time.
- This is one of the most moving and beautiful fanfics I've ever read in my life.
- Warnings: You will cry. Seriously. It's that good.
by Ophelia Raven
Our Little Secret
- Recommended by Sethonan
- Synopsis: A certain character is found to not have died during the battle of Hogwarts 30 years after the fact and Harry must investigate.
- Comments: Currently a work in progress but the author works fast and posts often, if I have any complain is that it IS a slash fic after all.
- Y.S.Jennis: Now completed.
The Golden Age
- Recommended by LuthienT
- Synopsis:It was like a wizard tale. The clever Slytherin helps a hag who later repays the debt. Except that Rose Weasley wasn't a hag, and Scorpius didn't expect to call in the favour.
- Winner of the 2010 Next Generation QSQ award*
- Comments: Involves a seventh-year Rose Weasley and Scorpius. Very, very well written, with excellent characterization and character-voices. Cannot recommend highly enough. Excellent portrayals of Original HP characters such as Draco, Ron, Harry, Hermione, etc.
by Arsinoe de Blassenville
Snape's Worst Nightmare
- Recommended by Fuzzy Boots
- Synopsis: After the War, Harry and Hermione try to carve out a life for themselves, but find difficulty living in a world at peace.
- Comments: Theoretically set between the end of book 7 and the epilogue, although the author admits that he had to make a lot of changes to accommodate Rowling's shifting decisions on what happened in between. This story is an excellent example of flawed heroes. Both Harry and Hermione can't let go of the War and proceed to make many questionable decisions in the name of The Greater Good.
Fabula Post Bellum: A Potter Fanfiction
- Recommended by Milarqui
- Synopsis: What is Professor Snape's worst nightmare? Why, teaching the next generation of Potters and Weasleys!
- Comments: This story is supposed to diverge from HP canon at some point after Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, since Sirius is dead but Dumbledore is still alive. However, it does not deal with the war, but with the next generation of Potters and Weasleys. Somehow, the seven Weasley siblings have children that are born during the period of time that allows them to attend Hogwarts the same year, with 3 Potters and 9 Weasleys joining Gryffindor's ranks and doing their best to annoy the hell out of Snape and the Slytherins. Very, very funny!
journals & ice cream series
- Recommended by xXwindsofchangeXx
- Synopsis: Almost two decades have passed since the Second Wizarding War's conclusion, and life in the wizarding world has resumed a state of normalcy. Many of the war's survivors have gone on to starting careers, marrying, and having children. The Potter children have enjoyed a somewhat normal upbringing. But it is said that each generation has its own battle to fight...
- Comments: This is a direct sequel story that picks up directly from the end of the Epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It mainly follows Albus as he and Rose Weasley make their start at Hogwarts. James serves as a deuteragonist and, as of now, the story switches between their POV. This was written by an author that has read the books several times through and all but lives on the Harry Potter wiki, so purists with a preference for the canon of the series (mainly book, but also some elements of movie canon as long as they do not directly conflict with the former) will like this fic. It's still in its early goings, but it has received some positive reviews thus far. Perfect for those who want to pick up a new HP fanfiction still in progress, without having to catch up on a lot of chapters.
The Closing Of The Year
- Recommended by Anayra Hirialen, Keshia
- Pairings: Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, Astoria/Krum, eventual Draco/OFC, other pairings listed in appropriate fic headers
- Synopsis: Draco Malfoy: ex-Death Eater, former bigot, divorcee, and single father. His wife left him for Viktor Krum, his children worship the Weasleys who clash with the decor, something is rotten at Hogwarts, and he doesn’t really know what he’s doing. But maybe he’s getting the hang of it. (summary of the first story in the series, Draco Malfoy and the Trials of Single Parenthood)
- Comments: A Next Gen series of stories told in epistolary form - diary entries, letters and occasional newspaper cuttings. There are currently four completed fics in the series (out of a planned eight) with a fifth currently in progress. These first two focus more around Draco and his attempts to pick up the pieces of his life after Astoria leaves him, the third focuses on Ron, but the next fic (and those after) will focus on the Next Gen kids more strongly. Estora somehow manages to have you laughing at Draco one moment, crying the next, and her plotting is compelling. I've been following these stories from the start (huge fan of Estora's anti-Twilight fic!) and can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
- The Beach: Seconded. Even though this series is only on the fourth story, it's definitely one of the most original post-19-years-later series I have ever read. At first I thought it was just going to be a series of stories from Draco's POV, but I realised that the author is branching out and going for an ensemble cast. I didn't expect the epistolary format to work as well as it does. Trust me, this is really worth a look. Perfect mixture of funny, sweet, dramatic, and emotional. And best of all, they're easy to get through! Only 11 chapters each. Go ahead and read these stories - you won't regret it.
- : Thirded oh so much. Not much I can say, but while the characters, plot, format, hell, everything about this is just incredible; what really sold it were those little nods to other fandoms.
Strangers at Drakeshaugh
- Recommended by feral
- Pairings: Tom/Harry, past Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione
- Synopsis: AU, After his divorce, Harry Potter moves in with Tom Riddle. So does his ten-year-old son Albus Severus, who tries his utmost to get used to his new surroundings and to the strange, sinister man his dad has fallen in love with.
The Noticing of Lucy Weasley
- Recommended by qazwsx, Roo, Blackbirdie
- Pairings: Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, OC/OC
- Synopsis: The locals in a sleepy corner of the Cheviot Hills are surprised to discover that they have new neighbours. Who are the strangers at Drakeshaugh?
- Comments: This is what it might look like if wizards try to integrate into a muggle community. In an interesting twist, the story of Harry and Ginny's post-DH lives is told by a rather perceptive muggle neighbor (and later friend) of the Potters who grows closer to finding out their secret with each chapter. It's well written, well researched, and has a fresh, unique flavor to it.
- Seconded. The muggle viewpoint gives a refreshing take on the happily-ever-after scenario. Both OC-characters are nicely fleshed out, and all the small town gossip is simply delightful. There's also a nice side-plot concerning a case at the auror office, which prevents the story from becoming one-sided and boring.
Shut and be a Bud Again
- Recommended by Roo
- Synopsis: "Lucy Weasley was the most overlooked Weasley grandchild. Until she punched her cousin James in the face." A one-shot story about Percy's youngest daughter Lucy and how she deals with being a shy, introverted bookworm in a family of overachieving extroverts — not to mention how she deals with people who view her father as the dullest Weasley brother.
- Recommended by Puidwen
- Synopsis: Voldemort is gone, but the aftereffects of the War linger. Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione all must deal with the toll, and confront the consequences of their actions. Only one thing is certain, things will never be the way they were before.
- Comments: One of those everybody heads back to hogwarts for their eighth year. If nothing else it treats the problems hogwarts would suffer the year after Voldemort's defeat well.
- Recommended by omegaman, Rose And Heather, Question Marker
- Synopsis: Entering his sixth year at Hogwarts, Scorpius Malfoy's biggest concerns are his ex-girlfriend and balancing his friendship with Al Potter with his difficult relationship with Rose Weasley. But a much bigger concern arises when he, Al, Rose, two other students, and a professor run across a magic ritual being conducted in the Forbidden Forest, and a magical virus strikes down all the inhabitants of Hogwarts save for the six of them.
- Comments: This fic is fantastically well-written. The characters are incredibly fleshed-out and given believable, detailed personalities. Scorpius, Al, and Rose's characterizations are among the most unique I've come across, and it's a refreshing change from some of the more traditional depictions (that's not to say there aren't some similarities, but the similarities are balanced by the uniqueness so that one does not feel that one is reading yet another iteration of common Fanon characterizations). The OCs are excellent as well; they're neither Mary Sues or bland stiffs whose purpose is to make the scene look populated. They have well-developed strengths and foibles, personalities, and motivations. There is a RosexScorpius romance, so be warned if that is not your thing, but this not a shipping fic; while their relationship is a big part of the story, drama is the main genre.
- From someone who never calls anything a must-read — this is a must-read.
- Recommended by frayleon
- Synopsis: A very short story (less than 200 words) concerning a man named George.
- Status: Complete
- Comments: Tells the story in a very simple matter, but there's delicious reading-between-the-lines to be done, and it's up to the reader to figure out how this has come about. It's all in the title, of course.