Proof that the remaining 10% is worth bracing yourself for.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Game of Thrones
fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
If you are adding a fic, please help us out and use the new template-format on the Fanfic Recommendations Index Page
The North Remembers
Game Of Throne 1995 Style
- Synopsis: A continuation of the story from where A Dance with Dragons left off.
- Recommended by Eegah
- Synopsis: The author creates a fanvid about how the show would have looked like if it had aired in the 1990s, and the commentators write imaginary plots.
- Recommended by Lorialet
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the characters.
Empathy & Apathy
- Pairings: Ned Stark and Cersei Lannister
- Synopsis: In this alternate universe story, Ned takes the throne instead of Robert and marries Cersei.
- Recommended by Lacey
- Seconded by Zysek. The characteritzations are spot on, especially Cersei's, and the narrative flow is perfectly measured. Pure unbridled brillance.
Out of Spiritus Mundi
- Pairings: Davos Seaworth/Stannis Baratheon
- Synopsis:A Pride&Prejudice AU featuring Stannis as Darcy and Davos as Elizabeth... don't ask. We'll see what kind of madness ensues.
- Recommended by Steerpike13713
- Pairings: Cersei/Jamie, Stannis/Melisandre, Renly/Loras, though they are not the entire focus.
- Synopsis: A Western Gothic AU using tarot cards as section breaks. Messianism and legacy and the beginning of what'll someday be a tall tale in the chronicle of Baratheon, WV. It starts with three brothers this time, and the cards are already on the table, waiting to be read.
- Comments: This fix is amazing, both as an AU and its own story. It needs to be read.
- Recommended by wolfpuppy.
The Covering Sky
- Pairings: Daenerys Targaryen and Robb Stark
- Synopsis: Eddard Stark offered her a deal. Safe return to the Seven Kingdoms but in exchange she would need to marry his son, to keep her under watch instead of killing her like Robert wanted. She accepted because she believed she could work on her plans from within. She could turn the Young Wolf in her ally. But she wasn't expecting Robb Stark not to be like the men she knew.
- Recommended by qazwsx
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairings: Jaime Lannister/Brienne of Tarth
- Synopsis: Alternate Universe from episode 3x07 in which Brienne becomes the reluctant guest of the Lannisters
- Recommended by Dell Max
- Comments: Enjoyable fic which despite some rather ridiculous situations keeps everyone thoroughly in character (One of the best Lord Tywins I've read in fanfic), what the Jaime/Brienne fans probably wish season 4 would be like.
Stories that combine elements of more than one established series.
The River is everywhere.
A Game of Thrones: The House of Wayne
- Crossover with Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy
- Pairings: Catelyn Stark/Ned Stark, Lyanna Stark/Rhaegar Targaryen, Elia Martell/Rhaegar Targaryen
- Synopsis: An Old Kingdom AU that follows Sansa as she tries to figure out her place in the world of Wallmakers, Abhorsens and Free Magic.
- Comments: For those unfamiliar with the Old Kingdom setting of the story, the author provides a guide, so no former knowledge is necessary. For those who have read Nix's series, the fic stems logically from Nix's canon, with mentions of his original characters. It is well-written, though not regularly updated - the last wait was a few months long, but worth it.
- Recommended by aoifemoran
by Occams Chainsaw 15
The Prince Who Was Promised
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: Batman
- Synopsis: While the lords of Westoros battle for the crown, the last living member of the House of Wayne wages his own war in the shadows. Told from the perspectives of characters as it is in the books. Current characters are: Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Dick, Selina, Harvey Dent, and the Joker.
- Comments: One of the best crossovers I every read, the author perfectly fuse the Batman mythos in the Game of Thrones world.
The House of Elendil
- Recommended by Meimay, Ragnar The Semi Green
- Crossover with: Harry Potter.
- Synopsis: He remembered being Harry Potter. Dreamed of it. He dreams of the Great Other too, a creature of ice and death, with eyes red as blood and an army of cold, dead things. He is only the 2nd son of the King, a 'spare', but that changes when things rather left in the dark come to light, and Westeros is torn asunder by treachery and ambition. Winter is coming... but magic is might.
- Comments: The best crossover of Harry Potter/Game of Thrones you can find on ff.net. Great characterizations, good writing (sometimes there are still some misspelling but nothing too major) and a great potential, this fic is a must read.
- Has a Trope page.
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: The Lord of the Rings
- Synopsis: Across the Sunset Sea, they come. Nine ships and three lords and one white tree. Elendil the Tall and his people have come out of the fall of Numenor to the shores of Westeros, and now they join the Game of Thrones. They must win or die.
- Comments: A unique crossover between Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.