Fanfic Recs: Ed, Edd n Eddy
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth sacrificing a jawbreaker for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Ed, Edd n Eddy Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
open/close all folders
Authors and Sites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance. Don't Drift by RubyBlight
- Recommended by Xemu
- Synopsis: It's the boys' junior year of high school, but Eddy feels paranoid that their friendship won't survive. Things will change, but change is good, right?
- Comments: Definitely an amazing fanfiction. All of the characters are written in a more mature, and believable manner. Goes into the hidden depths of each character and shows the struggles that they all go through, while growing up.
- Recommended by Andyroid, Barth Vader, Ishtar Dragon
- Synopsis: Picking up where the episode "3 Squares and an Ed" left off (with all three Eds grounded), Edd's three days are up, but his friends are still under house arrest. While Eddy tries to make a break for it and Ed keeps himself amused, Edd tries to ingratiate himself with the other kids of the neighborhood... with hilariously disastrous results.
- Comments: An amusing Original Flavor fic that manages to fit all the main cast without them feeling shoehorned in.
- Seconded. Truly well-written, amazing characterization, great ending, it feels like reading an actual episode. The author also has other, shorter Original Flavor fics that are also recommendable.
- Recommended by: The Otaku Ninja, Stormofscript
- Synopsis: You cannot hold the world together when you yourself are falling apart.
- Comments: A sobering look into the Ed's future, and how they have drifted apart as told from Eddy's POV.
- Seconded, a truly great read and actually made me tear up.
- Recommended by: The Otaku Ninja
- Synopsis: Every generation, a supernatural force chooses kids all over the world to inherit special powers. They are called the Super Children. And the call is about to be answered by three friends. As if their life wasn't weird enough already.
- Comments: An amusing story that has plenty of humor, action, and a truly dastardly villain. Unfortunately on infinte hiatus.
- Recommended by: The Otaku Ninja
- Synopsis: ED JUSTICE! a.k.a. Not Another "Eds with superpowers" Story! Crazy things are happening in the cul-de-sac, and the kids are all that stand against the growing tide of evil! Reviews are appreciated, flames will be doused.
- Comments: A second super-powered Ed fic, but just as good as the above, it is full of Shout Outs from everything from Watchmen to Justice League to Danny Phantom to Heroes, working in the references in interesting ways.
- Recommended by: Tropers/Hurricane1
- Synopsis: When a mysterious storm hits Peach Creek, many people find they have been given fantastic powers. Edd and Eddy unwittingly become superheroes as they defend their homes and neighbors from a surge of Super-Powered Psychopaths. Meanwhile, they still struggle to find time for their friends and family, without blowing their biggest secret ever.
- Comments: An amusing story with good plotline, and absolutely strewn with Misfits references. Now with a TvTropes page
- Recommended by: calvin2x4
- Synopsis: "Something strange is happening in Peach Creek. Double D is being visited by strange forces that seem to be obsessed with him. Ed ends up the new slave of Slappy. Eddy gets a plant that feeds on blood. Kevin has a mask that's trying to take over his soul. Jonny got a camera that can predict events. All of these come from a mysterious store that suddenly appeared in town."
- Comments: Elements from just about every horror book/tv show/movie show up in this story. All the characters are well-written for and you can almost vision the story being read out in your head.
- Recommended by AJTalon
- Synopsis: An Ed, Edd and Eddy one-shot alternate ending of one of the most FRUSTRATING episodes of the series.
- Comments: A short but well written Fix Fic for the episode It Smelled Like an Ed . In this fic, the Eds realistically come out on top for once. With the winks at the Fourth Wall and everyone's characterization spot on, it feels like you're watching the show again.
- TokoWH: Though it's a good read for anyone who's still sore over the episodes outcome, there being security camera's placed around the Cul-De-Sac that recorded Jimmy's action, Double D managing to get a hold of them through "Overprotective parents", the Eds somehow figuring out they were walking into a trap and managing to turn the tables on the Cul-De-Sac kids, and the Kankers cancling their deal because they don't want to be caught by the camera's and sent to jail (despite being in the middle of a forest at the time) can feel a bit like an Ass Pull to some. That said, I still enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone who needs to ice the wounds the episode caused. (For the time being, I consider this fic how that episode canonically ended.)
Fanfiction that combines elements, characters, etc. from two or more different franchises. Masked Rider Den-O: The Ed Express by J-Wraith
- Recommended by: The Otaku Ninja
- Synopsis: After Eddy stumbles upon a strange object, all three of the boys are thrown into a grand adventure. Now their bond of friendship will be put to the test as they fight to protect their world and the fabric of time itself. All aboard for the Climax Jump!
- Comments: A crossover with Kamen Rider Den-O, of all things, it fits the storyline of Den-O in with Ed, Edd and Eddy while somehow making it more or less work fairly well.
- Recommended by: calvin2x4
- Synopsis: They don't know why they are there or who's behind it all, only that the cul-de-sac kids have to escape or suffer a horrible fate in the depths of the Cube.
- Comments: A crossover between Cube and Ed Edd n Eddy.
- Recommended by: Midevillombax
- Synopsis: After being abducted by aliens, the Eds find themselves in Dreadzone X, an interstellar gladiatorial game show that pits the strongest of warriors against the insane campaigns crafted by Gandolfini Birman. With these campaigns, dangerous planets, and five Exterminators standing in the way, the Eds must battle their way through if they want to get out alive. Rated T for violence, blood and language
- Comments: A splendid mash-up of Ed, Edd n Eddy with Ratchet & Clank to make a successful crossover. Along with guest characters, OCs, and plenty of Shout Outs throughout the story. With action-packed fight scenes, good humor and an unique story that will take you to the frontlines with the Eds, though YMMV when it comes to certain events. But overall, it is a great read.
- Recommended by: Midevillombax
- Synopsis: Taking place after The Movie and sequel to Deadlocked, the Eds are caught up in one tale that is taking them across their own universe and taking on a mission that involves them searching for their friends, taking down The Heartless, and sealing the keyholes. With three beings on the move in search of the Pure Hearted, are the Eds going to stand a chance against the other worlds?
- Comments: This is by far the only Ed, Edd n Eddy/Kingdom Hearts crossover to be good.
- Recommended by: the tri-ruler
- Synopsis: "Not so long ago, before the winds of change blew, there existed three boys. Though they were very different from each other, they were friends and shared many things, including an island called Outset." Basically, it's the Wind Waker with a fresh note of comedy. It's rated T for its occasionally crude humor and constant violence.
- Comments: There is an unusual pairing in this, but it's not homosexual. Other than that I won't tell you what it is, because I'm assuming you'll read it yourselves and enjoy it.
- "Recommended by": Unown300
- :Synopsis": "The first story of the trilogy: Ed, Edd and Eddy, after a reality-bending mishap, find themselves scattered on an alien planet called Tallon IV. Now, they must search for each other, discover the mystery behind this derelict world, and find a way home."
- "Comments": As the title implies, this is a Metroid and Ed, Edd n Eddy crossover fanfiction. It is much better than it sounds, and captures the Eds' personalities faithfully. Eddy is still as greedy as ever, Edd is having difficulty adapting to combat, and Ed is, well, Ed.
- Recommended by: Tnelson711, Gamerex27
- Synopsis: In an unfortunate accident, the Ed, Edd n Eddy Cast is separated. Double D and Nazz awaken near Rougeport, in another dimension. Now they must embark on an epic journey to save this strange new world.
- Comments: By far, one of the best fanfictions on the site. It takes the original Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, adds Ed, Edd n Eddy characters, and many plot twists, and there you go. I don't want to spoil this fanfic, but just give it a read. Sure, there's quite a few spelling and grammar errors, but the story, nevertheless, is great. In fact, Here's a TV Tropes page of the fanfic.
- Great Pikmin Fan: YMMV. If this was the same story I've encountered a while ago and not a rip-off (re-reading the first bit it seems similar), I've read up to the begining of the Glitz Pit. Up to there, it followed The Stations of the Canon to the point where several conversations are word for word taken from Thousand Year Door. Although Edd getting fire powers by the point I was at is pretty cool. Maybe there was more deviation after that point and it gets better, maybe this isn't even the same fic I've read (though I think it is), but just a little warning.
- Though the premise really is a good one, the author is unfortunately very inexperienced (multiple times does he say it's his first fic). As such, the writing is somewhat sub par, and the thing under Double D's hat and Vivian's powers felt like complete Ass Pull the entire way, if not extremely cliched.
- Sorry, folks, it's been deleted.
- Recommended by: mimichan3
- Synopsis: Another scam goes wrong for the Eds once again. But this time, It leads them on adventure in a new country. How will the Eds survive and what will happen when a certain brigade is aware of their presense?
- Comments: A really hilarious fic that captures all the personalities very well. It really feels like you're reading a crossover from the real creators!
- Recommended by: Not JM Keynes
- Synopsis: The cul-de-sac kids (actually teens) fight to survive in a world falling apart.
- Comments: Technically it's not a crossover with 2012, but it's a very good Disaster Fic, with cameos of other CN characters. It was very well-researched concerning the impacts of many disasters.
- Sen: Unfortunately, it's marred by amateurish grammar ("How suppose we get out?" - Ed may be a cuckoolander, but he doesn't mangle his grammar that bad!), severe How Do I Used Tense? ("almost made Jimmy crying"), constant missing words ("Ed and Eddy looked each other" - are you sure you don't need an "at" there?) and blatant spelling mistakes ("Cal-de-sac"?), as if it hadn't been proofread before being published (the author's ESL clearly shows). Additionally, at some points the author's grasp on the characters seems a bit wonky - Ed and Eddy sometimes come across as being way more eloquent than they should be, Eddy doesn't call Edd "Double D" until Chapter 8, Rolf doesn't Third-Person Person or use his patented Buffy Speak (he forgets to call the Eds "Ed-boys"!), everybody sounds too stiff and formal at times -, the geology gets failed forever ("a huge volcano popped out from the ground where their houses were"... just like that?), and so on. The whole mood of dread it's shooting for gets wrecked to So Bad, It's Good Narm by reading howlers like "Somewhere at the Vatican City, their Catholic leader emerged from the St. Peter's Ballista". I read it at 3 AM while staying up ridiculously late, and I'd personally recommend it more for the hilarity of the "unpolished first draft" feel. ("St. Peter's Ballista" killed me, followed by the random Los Angeleno Captain Obviousing "Los Angeles is sinking into the ocean." to Kevin. And for some reason Townsville is in... Oregon? How close is it to Portlandia then?). By the time the author informs us that major cities of Europe include "Paris, London, Sweden, Moscow" (!) and introduces a US President named "Tracheal Sexton" (!?) who begins a speech with "I am here to deliver the speech to the world of plans after this global disaster" (that's not a Presidential speech, that's how I start my oral presentations!), I started to get DOOM: Repercussions of Evil flashbacks, but the cop-out All Just a Dream ending and out-of-nowhere Green Aesop was more reminiscent of the Doom comic. I don't know for sure if this fic has anything as memetically, instantly hilarious as "NO JOHN YOU ARE THE DEMONS", but it's pretty close anyways!
- Recommended by: Sen, Barth Vader
- Synopsis: Some time after the events of The Big Picture Show, "When the world is suddenly overrun with monsters, Kevin gains strange psychic abilities and is thrust by a series of events into an adventure with his friends to try and save the world - if they can even figure out who's behind it all."
- Comments: A very good crossover between EarthBound and Ed Edd 'n Eddy - I'd say it's even better than the author's other crossover, Ed Cube, listed below. The author keeps the cast in-character, lands some amusingly plausible analogues with the Earthbound cast, largely follows the plot of the game (even including some of its characters) but adapted to the setting somewhat, and reunites both the game and the show's brands of surreal, fourth-wall-breaking humour very well (some hilarious shout-outs to Earthbound's PSI abilities and the "call your parents to save the game" mechanic are included). The good writing and detailed worldbuilding also explain the occasional Schedule Slip.
- Barth Vader: I haven't played Earthbound, so I can't tell whether it's good as a crossover, but as an EEnE fanfiction, this is the proof that the remaining 10% is worth it. Now it's concluded, and I wholeheartedly recommend this as probably the best fic ever.
- Recommended by: ErikHowlett
- Status: On-Going.
- Synopsis: "This wasn't just another scam gone wrong, it was a full-blown disaster! Follow the Eds as they are flung into the virtual world of Sword Art Online, and struggle to survive this horrid death game. Will they live long enough to see the game's end, or die trying?"
- Comments: When Ed wins a contest from the back of a manga, and subsequently receives a copy of SAO and a set of NerveGear, Eddy immediately jumps at the chance to scam the Cul-de-sac kids out of their money with "Ed's Cyber Cafe- Featuring Sword Art Online." However, after some peer pressure, the Eds enter the world of SAO first as Richmond (Eddy), Einstein (Double-D), and Lothar (Ed), only to find they are now trapped in the game. While the idea comes off a bit odd, the author does a great job of showing how this experience is changing the Eds and forcing them to mature as people to try and survive the Death Game. Interestingly enough, the first of the trio to get this treatment is Eddy. With their imprisonment being mostly his fault, Eddy recognizes the pain his greed has caused them, resolving to clear the game and save his friends. This fic sadly doesn't have the recognition it deserves, even though it's writing and characterization is great. It's only three chapters long so far, but definitely worth the read.
- Great news, the author just updated and it is AWESOME! Someone should definitely make a tv tropes page about it...
- Recommended by: Anime Badger
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: A year after the events of the Halloween Episode, Eddy discovers a different map of his brother's in a loose board in his house that leads him and his friends to a different world.
- Comments: This fic is actually well-written. I used to have a bit of a low opinion of fanfiction in general, but after reading this fic and its sequels, that changed. The Eds behave exactly how they would if they ever stumbled into Halloween Town, and it goes along with the plot of the movie so well. It reuses some dialogue from both works, but there is some new dialogue as well. Anyway, see for yourself.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast. What a Difference by Pieces of Hope
- Recommended by: Troper Man
- Pairings: Edd/Marie
- Synopsis: It only takes an hour, just a short sixty minutes, to find that the person you've feared or the person you've teased, is actually someone a lot like yourself. Edd and Marie have a lot in common, and it only takes an hour to find out what.
- Comments: A very heartwarming story with a great premise. The characters are in-character for the most part, and it takes an interesting look at the lives of Double D and Marie, and how things aren't what they always seem. It gives you a happy feeling inside when you're done, and the author definitely shows signs of becoming a good writer. I highly recommend it.
- Barth Vader: So cliche it's painful. Spoiler tags, because it's a quick one-shot: Turns out poor Marie just had no idea how to treat a guy differently, 'cause she didn't knew her father and she does it, because of Lee's and her mother's toxic influence. Then it turns out Edd's parents are absent in his life. Then, they kiss, despite the fact that Edd was running away from her less than an hour ago. The end. Cheap whitewashing with a Freudian Excuse, because Marie has no conscience, no free will, no brain of her own, and is Lee's mindless drone. I've seen it too many times.
- Recommended by: Virusir
- Synopsis: After a series of unexpected circumstances, Edd finds himself slowly falling head over heels for Marie Kanker. Although Edd initially denies his feelings, a few emotional moments with Marie solidify his attraction to her. As Edd and Marie bond, dark secrets are revealed, and Edd begins to view the Kanker sisters in a whole new way.
- Pairing(s): Edd/Marie Kanker.
- Status: Finished, clocking in at 61 chapters.
- Recommended by: Barth Vader
- Synopsis: A coming-of-age story where Edd and Marie began to see each other in a new light. Edd saw her as an annoyance. Marie saw him as a toy. But as they change throughout their school life, they fall in love and endured through teenage hardships. Love is not perfect. But is it worth holding onto?
- Pairing(s): Edd/Marie
- Comments: I don't like most shipping fics (see above), but this one is actually written by a guy who tries to convince the reader that the couple will work. After the subpar first chapter the author tells the story of how Marie's facade of jerkassery very slowly cracks as she begins to see behind her fixed "all men are bastards" attitude. But the story isn't only about that, there are various subplots focusing on other characters (like Eddy scamming people at the mall of Nazz's parents divorcing). Everyone is in character, the few OCs have a purpose, it emulates the feeling of the original show quite well. Maybe it's not perfect, but I believe it's worth recommending.
- Recommended by: My Little Pingas
- Synopsis: Edd and Marie discuss their celebration of Father's Day- or lack thereof.
- Pairing(s): Edd/Marie
- Comments: This simple little fic seems to take what What a Difference was trying to do, and improves on it. Marie doesn't miraculously change her ways while Double D learns to see the good in her. They're already together, and merely having a conversation about their personal lives. You can tell that while they're unhappy about the circumstances surrounding their fathers, Edd and Marie don't take it that serious and remain rather upbeat about it. Overall, while the characters seem a bit downplayed from their personalities from the show, the oneshot itself is a nice, quick read for shippers who hate cliches.
- Barth Vader: I found it disappointing. The issues with Edd's and Marie's fathers is pointed out and... nothing happens. Instead of going anywhere with it, the story ends with the lovers sharing a kiss for some reason. I've seen better.
Stories focused on making the series darker, and/or exploring the darker aspects of the series. Forfeit by Scary Spikender
- Recommended by: Brain Sewage, Screennameless and Barth Vader
- Synopsis: "Four years later, and the Eds are still tortured and beaten on a daily basis. This time, however, they will finally try to find solutions to their problems, which grow worse by the day." Recently completed, but an epilogue will be made out of demand from the fans.
- Comments: Well-written pseudo-deconstruction of the caricatures presented in the cartoon. A mature, analytical breakdown of the problems faced by the cul-de-sac kids and the ways they attempt to solve them.
- Screennameless: Forfeit is absolutely soul-crushing. It reads like Greek tragedy, with the characters all spinning inevitably towards destruction. But moreover, it still feels like Ed, Edd 'N Eddy. It is the logical extension of the show, with the flaws of each character played out to their furthest limits. It demands to be read.
- Barth Vader: That literally makes me sick in the stomach, but in a good way. It's a brilliant if extremely dark fic.
- ''Recommended by: Zannosuke, Truckman, Madarse Lizard
- Synopsis:Probably the most disturbing Ed, Edd n' Eddy stories you'll ever read. Rated M for all the right reasons. You've been warned.
- Comments:You know all those "Edd finally snaps and kills everyone" stories that disappoint and kinda suck? Yeah, this ain't those stories. It's creepy, tense, and very well written. Highest recommendations I can give. Check it out. Get scared. Sweet dreams.
- Recommended by: Some New Guy
- Synopsis: During preparations for their latest scam, Ed is attacked and bitten by a mysterious wolf. That night, Ed transforms into a werewolf and attacks and bites Double D, infecting him as well. The kids band together to hunt down and defeat the original werewolf and save their friends in this 3 part comic series.
- Comments: Surprisingly well written and illustrated, while staying true to the original show's characterization. Gets dark at times, but is ultimately a satisfying series. Warning: contains Double D/Marie shipping.
- Barth Vader: I'm not sure whether this belongs to Dark Fic category (more family-friendly than aforementioned Deadlocked). I completely agree with SomeNewGuy. Art is pretty impressive, especially chapters two and three. Extra shipping warning: Ed/May and Eddy/Lee, at the end of chapter 3.