Fanfic Recs: Dragonriders of Pern
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Dragonriders of Pern
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Author and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
by Faye Upton (and also the sequel)
- Recommended by chesneycat
- Synopsis: Set on the Southern Continent in an AU Seventh Interval Pern, Dragonchoice is a novel-length work following the fate of Tíkamen, a bronze rider of Madellon Weyr; his close friends blue rider Címine and green rider Cílos; the young Weyrwoman Valonna; and her flawed Weyrleader Lídro. This is the Pern story by which all the others are measured and found wanting. Its sequel (Dragonchoice II: Dragonchosen) delves even deeper into the lives of the characters as well as Pern's worldbuilding, and raises the bar even higher.
- Recommended by faye109
- Synopsis: The Regicide is an epic Fifth Pass saga of High Reaches Weyr, dealing extensively with intra- and inter-Weyr politics through the perspectives of a terrific cast of original characters both sympathetic and despicable. Not light, not fluffy, but dense, rich, and complex. One of the most rounded and fully-realised portraits of dragonrider life you'll ever read!
Who Tries Does
- Recommended by Almaron
- Synopsis: One hundred short drabbles revolving around various scenarios in the Weyrs of Pern. Includes both canon and non-canonical characters.
by Thistlerose (and also the two sequels)
- Recommended by Almaron
- Pairings: Mainly F'nor/Brekke.
- Synopsis: A look at how events could have turned out if Wirenth and Prideth hadn't killed each other in Dragonquest. Currently consists of three parts; each released as a separate story.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
The Queen Who Fell To Earth
- Recommended by Doodler
- Synopsis: Kylie Sue Martin suddenly finds herself on Pern, where she is Searched and brought to Telgar Weyr. While the main character is a bit annoying at first, her Character Development is fascinating as she adjusts to this new world, and there's a rich cast of supporting characters.
Hogwarts Rejection Letters
by Midnighter 13
Two Worlds One Dragonrider
- Recommended by feral
- Harry Potter Mega Crossover
- Synopsis: We all know the story of Harry accepting his Hogwarts letter. What if instead he wrote a letter indicating he did not wish to attend? And what universes could such a letter come from?
by Nocte Furorem
- Crossover with How to Train Your Dragon
- Recommended by Tropers/Mikowmer
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: (from story) Hiccup gets blown out of the sky over Berk and wakes up in another world where he must learn his place. Is there a dragon in his future? Slightly A/U. Chapter 35 is up. Please leave a review after reading. Thanks.
- Comments: While this story had a little bit less action and adventure for my tastes, it is none the less an intriguing tale. Just a quick warning though, it is written from Hiccup's perspective, who has just found himself alone in the middle of the Ninth Pass with no way home, and no way of contacting home. Due to this, there are things that had to be explained to him that readers of the Pern books take for granted, and there are a few things that are non-canon, simply because of the events surrounding Hiccup getting transported to Pern. While the villains do end up having the same sort of shtick to them, the story itself is a good read.