Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Disgaea Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
When Only Hope Remains
- Recommended by Arc Varanus
- Synopsis: Disgaea 3. One day after the fighting, an unlikely hero shares a quiet moment with a weary wanderer.
- Comments: A short but sweet tale where Asagi relearns what it means to hope. Well characterized and thoughtful. Plus, it's always nice to see Asagi getting the attention she deserves.
Fail to the King!
- Recommended by The Great Pie
- Synopsis: Following the Downer Ending of Disgaea2, this details the adventures of some generic and canon characters. Okay, that's not even half of it. The premise involves True Zenon!Adell killing off swarms of Overlords (presumably including Laharl and Etna) and BAAL raising a Badass Army of his own clones.
- Comments: This is how you do a Darker and Edgier fanfic. Veldime is turned into a Crapsack World of blood and gore over the course of the story. That's all I can say; my mind blew up from the SHEER AWESOME of this fic.
- Canto Candidus: Laharl and Etna being killed BY Adell was a pill too bitter to swallow, couldn't read more after that. But that's just me, if you don't have a problem with this little detail, give this fic a chance.
- Also, seems to be dead...
, by Varanus
Disgaea: Main Characters Are Allergic
- Recommended by Cheese Pie
- Synopsis: As the new Overlord of Evil Academy, Almaz needs to get back the trust of his friends and learn how to be a true ruler of the Netherworld. Unfortunately, he’s got a lot to learn and no time to learn it in, because a mysterious and powerful new foe has just breezed into town with dark designs for the academy and ambitions that span the multiverse...
- Comments: It's pretty cool to see the alternate endings get stories that expand upon them. In this particular case Almaz is trying to bring order to the chaos surrounding him, while Mao is trying to find a way to best Almaz in a way that would make his father proud. And it just wouldn't be Disgaea without a Big Bad waiting in the wings. Definitely a must read.
- Comartemis: Oh hell yes. This is how you make a Downer Ending entertaining; you turn it into a Sequel Hook and start fixing everything that went wrong. Should be especially fun to read for Almaz fans but Mao gets some cool moments too. Now comes with its own trope page!
, by Level 9999.
Disgaea, End Of Darkness
- Recommended by Rague
- Synopsis: Laharl has died. That's the way this story begins. But who does the killing? None other than a common Level 99 average joe. And what happens? He gets a freaking PROMOTION and all the responsibilities of an Overlord and a Main Character! Achoo!
- Comments: At first, there's a feeling that this is just going to be another self-inserted character, but the story begins throwing fan fiction stereotypes under the bus the same way the Disgaea anime used anime stereotypes and the game series used SRPG stereotypes. I think it's got a lot of potential to turn into a great story if the storyline picks up a bit. The best part though - Laharl getting killed literally in the first paragraph.
, By The Last Z Fighter
- Recommended by: naturaldecay
- Synopsis: Adell being stuck in another world; check. Been there and done that. Adell having to look after the reincarnation of a very powerful avatar of light known as the Maiden of Light while everyone has their own stake in things? Not so much. A crossover with La Pucelle and later Phantom brave.
- Comments: I was slightly reluctant, if only because my general allergic reaction to crossovers. They are either incredibly well done or mind-numbing. Never the less I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. It's by no means perfect far as spell/grammar goes but it has strong enough narrative, characterization and story to keep me interested. Definitely worth at least a glance. Plus Lamington and Laharl's old man get big roles, which is something different you normally don't see.
- Darkstalker Raoul: Definitively seconding this fic. Not only are the scenes well done. giving us a goog long introspective look into everyone's minds, but there's also a mini-arc that seems to imply Poitreene isn't as saintly as the game portrays her. A must read.
, by Sephira jo.
The Ultimate Disgaea Truth or Dare
- Recommended by: Cybertoy0
- Synopsis: What was Etna's photo of Laharl, the one that got him into so much trouble and sent the Netherworld into fits of laughter?
- Comments: An interesting introspective story that gives us another look at Laharl's past.
, by Overlord Mao
Disgaea Jewel of the gods,
- Recommended by: Neko-chan
- Synopsis: A Truth or Dare fic that features the Disgaea cast as well as other casts from other Nippon Ichi games being tortured, in a very humorous way.
- Comments: A rather interesting and humorous fan fiction; in my personal opinion, one of the best and funniest story I have read. This is one fan fic that has never failed to make me laugh and never has lost my interest due to it being very entertaining and its somewhat unpredictable nature . The way the author has written and the way the character speak, fit the nature of Nippon Ichi's games; the characters are kept very well in character as well. Overall, an amazing and hilarious fan fic.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by: A Random Guy
- Synopsis: The main characters from the first three Disgaea games, have to work together to defeat Baal while they're at level '1'.
- Comments: An interesting Disgaea fanfic, which is similar to the games, with humor, action, and breaking the fourth wall. Though not one of the best Disgaea fanfics, it slowly gets better over time, and it's worth a look.