Fanfic Recs: Darkwing Duck
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Authors, and Websites
Darkwing Duck Returns
- Recommended by Malky Top
- Synopsis: Besides a few one shots, icequeenkitty has an ongoing series completely AU and rather gritty. There are a few grammatical and spelling errors, but somehow, it doesn't detract from the (really awesome) stories.
and the sequel The New Adventures of Darkwing Duck
- Recommended by bookwormgal
- Synopsis:Darkwing Duck has been missing for over seven years, and is presumed dead by most, if not all. But that might change when Gosalyn finds a clue that indicates otherwise...
- Pairings: None really in the first story, but there is some romance of varying degrees in the sequel for Darkwing, Gosalyn, Launchpad...
- Comments: The series was started far before Darkwing's return in comic form was ever considered, so all the events and ideas are based off the television show alone. The first story is mostly about Darkwing's return and laying down the groundwork, but the second one is set up like an on-going series with each chapter acting as an entire episode with overlapping major story arcs to tie it all together. Currently, The New Adventures of Darkwing Duckhas over eighty chapters and 1,000,000 words. And while new characters are introduced over the course of the story, they all seem to fit into the universe seamlessly. And old characters, like the Fearsome Five or the members of SHUSH, receive plenty of character development over the course of the series. One of the larger issues earlier in the series is exploring how Gosalyn and later, Honker, handle the responsibility of gaining a larger, crime-fighting role and how Darkwing deals with that particular situation. Action and characterization are always held in equal importance. The last story arc finished before the current pause in posting (which the writer referred to as a seasonal break, like for a television show) just dealt with Negaduck taking over all of St. Canard with most of the population, including Darkwing himself, under mind control. Scyphi has a habit of creating REAL challenges for the Masked Mallard and leaving readers on the edge of their seats.
- This writer does their research. Not only do they go into detail of the mechanics of just about any piece of technology that is brought into the series. They also seem to enjoy the possibilities of the multi-verse. Not only is the Negaverse explored in greater depth (introducing more of the normal character's alter-egos), but other possible universes are explored in a way reminicent of the comic arc "Crisis of Infinite Darkwings" (but Scyphi started this long before the Darkwing Duck comic came into existence). Some time travel is also brought into the story and even a few pieces of technology that draw inspiration from Stargate SG-1 make an appearance. Essentially, anything that could possibly fit within the scientific laws established by the television series or, at least, doesn't break any of those laws, has a strong possibility of being addressed eventually.
- Overall, a brilliant piece of work that will keep you occupied for a long time.
- Page to be filled here
by Rowena Zahnrei
Different As Night and Day,
- Recommended by Fyrewyre
- Synopsis: When a brilliant Duckburg scientist and her revolutionary new super fuel are snatched by F.O.W.L. agents, Darkwing and GizmoDuck are on the case. Can they put aside their egos long enough to get her back? And how is this scientist connected to Megavolt?
- Pairing(s): None, actually.
- Comments: This is a really great fic, expanding a bit on Megavolt's past and saying that maybe it isn't completely hopeless for him. There's a bit of a Downer Ending, but it is very much still worth the read.
and its sequels Nightfall
Origins of the Friendly Four
- Recommended by Known Unknown
- Synopsis: Members of the Negaverse are the polar opposites of their normal universe copy. Good is evil and villains are heroes. The only exception is Gos and NegaGos. While different, both are definitely good. At least, until recent. Now, DW must face the result.
- Comments: A tragic set of character-driven oneshots, featuring a unique spin on the idea of evil counterparts. Darkwing is forced to make the worst arrest of his life, of the unlikeliest of criminals, but while the heel-turn is heartbreaking it also turns out to be surprisingly in-character and decently well explained as the story goes on, which of course only serves to make it sadder still. The whole thing ends surprisingly neatly, but it makes a good case for why it might not have in the end. An entertaining and gripping brief experience.
Negaverse Chronicles 1: Nightfall in the Negaverse
- Recommended by Ironic Mouse
- Synopsis: After Darkwing's brief stint in the Negaverse, the world is looking a bit better, but still has a long way to go. During dinner one night, Nega-Gosalyn asks about the Friendly Four's pasts, and a night of stories commences.
- Pairing(s): Bushroot/Dr. Dendren, Ham String/Preena Lot
- Comments: This story delves into the background of the Negaverse's versions of the Fearsome Five, the Friendly Four, and the reasons that they became heroes, rather than villains. The author not only fleshes out these characters, but takes the time to create alternate versions of other characters as well. It's currently unfinished and approaching a Dead Fic, but it's a still a rather good read.
and the sequel Negaverse Chronicles 2: Three Years
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by bookwormgal
- Synopsis: "A determined rat. A crazed toymaker. A friendly lab assistant. A simple salesman. In the Negaverse they are the Friendly Four. How would they come to fight the most evil duck in two universes? This is their beginning. Three years before Darkwing. Three years of destruction, war, and apocalypse. Three years for Negaduck to rise to rule all. How will the Friendly Four survive to be there for Darkwing? The next three years shall be their first of many challenges." Basically how the Friendly Four started in the Negaverse and the events before Darkwing Duck's arrival in "Life, the Negaverse, and Everything."
- Comments: Very entertaining and well-written. The various Nega-version of different characters and Original Character help flesh out this universe while the four heroes try to make a difference in the time period before Darkwing's appearance. And now has a trope page.