Authors and WebsitesNone yet.
Crossover FicsOnce More on the Battlefield, Soldier by Auburn Red
- Recommended by Artsy
- Synopsis: A crossover of “Casablanca” and “The Maltese Falcon,” that links the two stories. Set after the events of “Maltese Falcon” and before those in “Casablanca,” the story explains how Rick/Spade, Ferrari/Gutman, and Ugarte/Cairo left the States, changed their identities and wound up in Casablanca. Short and character-driven, this fic is a surprisingly believable crossover. Most of the focus is on Ugarte/Cairo, who is portrayed sympathetically without making him too soft.
- Tags: Crossover
- Synopsis: Bittersweet oneshot set decades after the movie. An elderly Ilsa visits a graveyard and reflects on the two men she loved in different ways.
- Comments: Short, sweet, and consistent with the movie (as opposed to sequel fics that have Ilsa running back to Rick, and undermine the entire point of the famous ending). Despite being a fanfiction for one of the most famous movies ever made, this story also feels very much like a story about a real elderly WWII refugee, set in our own real world.
- Synopsis: A short piece that reveals the details of Yvonne's relationship with Rick and Sascha.
- Comments: A must-read for Yvonne/Sascha fans, or just Yvonne fans. Yvonne is painted in a very sympathetic light, without excusing her obvious flaws. And it is ultimately a Yvonne/Sascha story.
- Recommended by Sally Shears.
- Synopsis: A prequel for Peter Lorre's Ugarte, that pairs him with the Asian roulette player. The author sets out to explain some of the mysterious (or just plain consistencies) surrounding the character, like why he didn't leave Casablanca sooner, and why his name doesn't match his accent.
- Comments: A superb piece of writing, that sadly remains unfinished. Hopefully the author will continue. The action begins long before the events of the movie, so those hoping to see the major characters like Rick or Sam may not be satisfied. A must-read for fans of Peter Lorre's Ugarte, or the unnamed Asian woman, however.
- Recommended by Sally Shears (AKA the Cheshire Cheese.)
- Synopsis: A close look at the minor characters of "Casablanca." The narrator is the roulette player who glances up when Ugarte is escorted away by the police. Here a Polish Jew waiting for her family to catch up to her in Casablanca before running to America, "Sofie" gets to know basically all the minor characters from the movie—particularly Ugarte.
- Comments: Readers seem to enjoy the backstories created for the minor characters. But this fic might not be for those looking for something with a true plotline and more action. This fic also treads dangerously close to Suevian Territory, though the author takes measures to subvert most classic Mary Sue cliches.