Fanfic Recs: Calvin and Hobbes
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being stuck with your sadistic babysitter for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Calvin and Hobbes
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress
: Fanfic Recommendations
is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropriate category, and to format it according to the template.
Have Their Own Page
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Spinning Through Space
by The Big Cat
- Recommended by Super Slayer 998
- Synopsis: Traveling through time and space in a cardboard box, with a boy and his tiger. "Well," mused Rose Tyler. "I doubt my life would be any more interesting at home, so... why not?" A crossover, of sorts.
- Comments: Although it does say it's a slight crossover, it's more like a fully rewritten version of Season 1 of Doctor Who, with the Doctor being Calvin and Hobbes at once. It works. Really well. Also, Rose is more kick-ass in this version, so Rose fans will love it. It looks like the author is planning to write the whole of the new series, so this will go on for a while.
by Kenya Starflight
Kill the Cliche
- Recommended by Solandra
- Synopsis: Calvin may never age in the comics, but Reminiscence has him grow up and experience the joys and sorrows of life beyond childhood, moving away from its whimsy and magic.
- Comments: Despite this Fan Fic being about Calvin moving away from the major charm of the comic, the story works. His life beyond childhood is portrayed as challenging and wonderful in its unique way, and the the ending hints that the childhood magic will never really be dead for someone like Calvin.
- Recommendation seconded by Vifetoile. This fic is very well-written. It hits all the right notes, and in just the right ways. The emotion is adeptly handled without descending into sentimentalism, and the end is... well, perfectly heartwarming.
by Miss Jak
A Tiger, a Diary, and a Treehouse
- Recommended by Assassin
- Synopsis: Calvin is a psychology major at NYU. Despite his maturity, he still acts as he does during childhood, as evident in that Hobbes is living in his dorm. He notices his old nemesis, Susie Derkins, has transferred to the university, piquing an interest to catch up with an old friend. Susie herself ponders why she can sometimes see a live tiger in Calvin's room...
- Comments: A lighthearted series that still retains the silliness of the old comics while putting our now mature, at least a little, protagonists in the college setting.
- Last updated in November 2012
The Sandwich Story
- Recommended by Potman
- Synopsis: Set a couple of years after the comics, when Calvin and Susie are still mortal enemies. The story sees them visiting each other's rooms (at the same time,) and learning new things about the other one, all the while unleashing infernal plots against their respective mortal foes.
- Comments: Well written, all characters almost perfectly in character, and reading it feels like reading the comic once more. Maybe those Xanatos Gambits they have going on are a tad complicated for a kid of that age, but then again, we know that both Calvin and Susie are very smart indeed.
- Recommended by Rebecca Hb.
- Synopsis: Hobbes is changing.
- Comments: A bittersweet story about Calvin growing up and how it affects Hobbes. A real tearjerker.
by Ryan Griffin
- Recommended by The Otaku Ninja
- Synopsis: What happened after the last strip? A different view on Calvin's future. Now added, Chapter 2 - Lost Souls. An unexpected sequel.
- Comments: A sweet two-part fic (one focusing on Calvin and the other on Hobbes) about what (as the synopsis states) might have happened after the last strip. And the author adds in an OC of sorts, based off a childhood stuffed animal, giving a personal touch to it. And is leave us with the theory that Calvin is Bill Watterson, writing down his own childhood adventures.
Calvin & Hobbes and the Gargantuan Thingamabob
- Recommended by belarus14, darkwheel66
- Synopsis: Calvin reminisces on the day he lost Hobbes.
- Comments: Short but sweet. It's a real tearjerker, not for the faint at heart!
by ME (that's the author's actual username; Theweirdwarrior had nothing
to do with the creation of this fic.)
Whatever Happened to That Old Thing?
- Recommended by Theweirdwarrior
- Synopsis: Calvin tries to commit fraud online by making a patenting firm think he's an ingenious inventor. However, what he doesn't know is that the aforementioned firm is the one his dad works at. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: To date, I think this is the best Calvin and Hobbes fic ever written. The plot is hilarious, the cast is completely in-character, and it even has Calvin and his Dad really bond for once. If Calvin and Hobbes had lasted into the information age, I can picture Watterson writing something like this.
by Wolf Child13
Tiger Chronicles: Catch 22 Syndrome
- Recommended by Azraelfinalstar
- Synopsis: A depressing look at Calvin's teen years after Calvin has stopped believing in Hobbes. Speculates on what consequences Calvin's weird behavior might have on his relationships later in life.
- Comments: This is a very depressing read, but its pretty good.
by Crazy Rob
A Madman's Tiger
- Recommended by Mr. Edward Nigma
- Synopsis: After narrowly avoiding summer school in a heavy-handed boot camp, Calvin begins to research this supposed place of reform... Only to find a conspiracy devoted to barbaric ideology. Dark, and ranty against abusive boot camps and abusive adults.
- Comments: One of the best Calvin and Hobbes fanfics I've ever read. It's quite dark and it definitely deserves its "M" rating, but it's very beautifully written.
Hello Operator, Please Give Me Number Nine
- Recommended by Baron Tiger
- Synopsis: (From the author) Somehow, Susie always knew in the back of her head that being Calvin's therapist would drive her crazy. Oneshot. Post-ending, Calvin and Susie all grown up.
- Comments: This troper doesn't have much to add to the synopsis: it's a very fluffy story about Susie and Calvin becoming better friends after Calvin hires her to be his therapist.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast
- Recommended by Glass Spires
- Synopsis: The lesson here, Susie thinks, is that tricking Death is tricky business. How do you outwit the personification of oblivion? Chess, obviously, won’t be the answer. Or: Susie plays Calvinball with Death.
by Eliezer Yudkowsky
Spaceman Spiff and the Marriage of Doom
- Recommended by Baughn, jaimeastorga2000
- Synopsis: She fought her way to the Box, and somehow made it work, and now she's back. Will she be able to prevent the end of the world this time around?
- Pairing: Calvin/Susie.
- Comments: It probably isn't possible to write a dark, edge-of-your-seat thriller more reminiscent of Terminator 2: Judgment Day than Calvin and Hobbes and still maintain perfect characterization, all the while creating a moral dilemma that would do a professional philosopher proud. This doesn't prevent Eliezer from trying, and I believe he's succeeded pretty well.
- jaimeastorga2000: I loved this one, but it doesn't really work if you already know who the characters are... It ruins the twist ending.
by Joe Cloudheart
- Recommended by Operation Shoestring
- Pairing: Calvin/Susie.
- Synopsis: A series of vignettes in Calvin's life, weaving in and out of his famously overactive imagination, as he falls in love with Susie Derkins.
- Comments: A superbly written Calvin/Susie romance written in a style that captures the imagination and wonder of the original comics.
Theories About Nuclear Winter
- Recommended by Sorcyress
- Pairing: Calvin/Jason Fox, from FoxTrot.
- Synopsis: Jason and Calvin are in college, each dealing with their isolation differently.
- Comments: Just a gloriously sweet and sexy series of stories. The first one is the longest, but there's a round dozen drabbles about the two.
The Best Seven Years
- Recommended by Assassin, Tequila Sunrise 2011
- Pairing: Calvin/Susie.
- Synopsis: After Calvin breaks up with his girlfriend and decides to leave town, he finally sorts out his feelings for Susie; his timing is not great.
- Comments: A tearful romantic story that succeeds in capturing the personalities of both characters in their original form, but as well as giving a more mature, convincing nature to it.
by Blu Taiger
- Recommended by Zed42, Hanz
- Pairing : Calvin/Susie.
- Synopsis: Calvin is eighteen and living in England with his folks. Now, he's faced with the task of telling Susie what he's been doing for the past seven years.
- Comments: Both an interesting view of Harry Potter from an outside perspective, and a nice, semi-plausible, explanation of Calvin's relationship with Hobbes.
- Hanz: I remember reading this quite a while ago. I love how Calvin is not shoehorned into the actual Harry Potter plot in any way, instead having his own adventures while the main plot happens in the background. Even then, he does interact with the side-characters often enough.