Fanfic Recs: Cabin Pressure
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Cabin Pressure, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watch-list, if need be. Warn for sexually explicit or non-canon territory. Some people don't like it, and Shipping is serious business. That being said...GERONIMO!
open/close all folders
Authors and Websites
Cabin Pressure Prompt Meme
- Recommended by tictactoe
- Comments: Originally based on Livejournal before transferring to Dreamwidth. While not explicitally a kink meme, plenty of smut alongside gen posts, and as much Martin whump as you could ever possibly want. Good quality fic, and for such a small fandom, surprisingly active. Pinboard archive accessed here.
Into the Void by 
- Recommended by Turkish Van
- Summary: Martin Must be the worst Avatar ever.
- Pairing: Gen of course! At least according to the tags.
- Comments: Amazing and very much IC in every way despite giving Martin such immense power; he still has the worst of luck. Its a WIP but don't let that discourage you .
Thistle and Weeds by chess_ka
- Recommended by tictactoe
- Summary: Written for a prompt on the kinkmeme. Martin has a man he considers his boyfriend, but said boyfriend is a nasty piece of work who treats Martin appallingly. With a little help along the way from MJN, Martin begins to move on and find happiness.
- Pairing: Martin/OMC
- Comments: This troper isn't personally attracted to OC fics, especially if it involves shipping with a canon character, but this fic is really good. The premise of Martin being trapped in an abusive relationship isn't over sentimentalised, and the after-effects on later relationships aren't simply brushed under the carpet - it's sensitively and maturely dealt with. And there's a happy ending for Martin! (Always a bonus). There is also a short follow-up oneshot called What You Find There which I'd also recommend.
- Recommended by Gloriana
- Summary: The MJN crew has to take an engaged couple to a party in San Tropez, but the couple's behavior does little to soothe Martin's current romantic worries. In an effort to buck him up, the rest of the crew share their own stories of romance past, and all the travails that came with them. Takes place after "Xinzhou" but before "Yverdon-les-Bains."
- Pairings: Martin/Theresa, mainly, but mentions of Douglas/First Wife, Douglas/Second Wife, Carolyn/Gordon, and Carolyn/Herc
- "Comments": This story is written to be as much like just another episode of the series as possible. It fits with canon, imitates John Finnemore's style as a writer, and is even in audio script form. It nails the characters' voices and is very funny. It really is like having an extra ep in the series!
Romance For The Socially Inept
- Recommended by gingersnap
- Crossover with Sherlock, but with only a few brief mentions of any main Sherlock characters aside from Henry.
- Summary: Henry Knight doesn't think ever he'll find anyone. He's too shy, awkward, still dreams of red-eyed hounds. Then he meets Martin Crieff, equally as shy and awkward, who is dealing with his own monsters. It doesn't take long before they fall in love.
- Pairings: Henry/Martin, obviously, but with a hint of post-Fall Johnlock later on.
- Comments: An adorable story - it WILL make you want to hug them both, even if (like me) Henry Knight annoyed the stuffing out of you in Reichenbach for being whiny and annoying. Honestly, this is the fic that made me ship Martin/Henry, illogical as it sounds. Some of the author's other excellent works (Cabin Pressure and otherwise) can be found here.
Alternate Universe Fics
Here Be Dragons by qikiqtarjuaq
- Recommended by tamberline
- Summary: Wherein Martin is an awkward dragon, Douglas is still a formidable sky god, and Carolyn and Arthur run a family business trading treasures with mythical creatures.
- Comments: There aren't many AU's in Cabin Pressure, and few as fleshed out as this one. Martin and Douglas are dragons (Douglas of the more... fire and brimstone variety, Martin the kind of dragon who instead of gold, hoardes within his tiny cave piles of books and parchment). They still fight over the cheese tray (well, cart) and Carolyn as the human in charge still manages to be the most domineering of them all.