Fanfic Recs: Breath of Fire
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for the Breath of Fire series Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and WebsitesBreath of Fire Fanfiction Library an older site that has not seen any updates in a few years, but is home to a lot of BoF fics that you will not find anywhere else. Breath of Fire III: Of Gods and Dragons by Estrelita Farr
- Recommended by Zero Sennin
- Synopsis: A novelization of the third game that plays pretty solidly to the original storyline while adding in some fresh ideas and covering some plot holes.
- Comments: Nicely written, clear, and lacking in plot holes. A good read for fans of the series.
- Recommended by The Tamborine Man
- Synopsis: BREATH OF FIRE II: Ryu is trying to catch some Z's, but his friends are making it really difficult.
- Comments: Short, but rather funny.
- Recommended by Bobfrank
- Synopsis: Original story. A rather innocent Princess Nina finds a young blue-haired man sealed away in an ancient chamber beneath the castle. When she awakens Ryu, the Kaiser within him infects her too, turning her wings black, marking her as a Harbinger of Impending Doom according to an ancient prophecy.
- Comments: Angelkitty1 Sure likes her Ryus dark and badass. This is not a kids' story by any means, but it's quite good. Still in progress.
- Recommended by Bobfrank
- ''Synopsis:' Not exactly a Breath Of Fire story, but a Homage to the series. Set in a world filled with Petting Zoo People, the blue-haired Foundling Ryan appears to be fully human, with no Totem to give him an animal form... until it's discovered that he's a Dragon-totem, of the ancient protectors who turned against humanity in the terrible Dragonwar.
- Comments: Still in progress, and fairly early in the story. A very interesting take on the Breath Of Fire concept. Ryan's Dragon Blade is kind of a Green Lantern Ring, and Nicole (the Nina-analogue) is not a princess, and is actually cast in an antagonistic role. Worth following to see how it turns out...
- Recommended by Kishou, The Giant Rock
- Synopsis: A novelization of the second game. As a child, Ryu has lost his family and no one remembers him. When he and his new friend Bow runaway, they run into (and almost get killed by) the demon Barubary. However, fate would shine upon him, as the demon and the dragon god's disciples watch and wait for the moment his fated decision will decide everything...
- Comments: Breath of Fire 2 novelizations are quite common in the fandom, but this goes above and beyond because of the sheer detail and creative liberties in the story retelling. The dialogue is witty, the combat is quick and tense, and it leaves you begging for more. Highly recommended.
- An excellent story that takes BoF2's original template and expands on it beautifully. Characters are fleshed out and the originally sprawling plot is consolidated and given a healthy dose of realism. Team interactions form the backbone of this story, and it's likely to be interesting even to readers unfamiliar with the source material. Strongly seconded.
- Recommended by Handsome Rob
- Synopsis: A novelization of the first game. A young Light Dragon named Ryu must face his destiny when the Black Dragon clan seeks to revive the Godess Myria.
- Comments: Before there was War of the Demons, there was this. Magus 523 has yet to dissapoint in any of his novelizations, and the prequel to the above story is no exception. If you've never played the first Breath of Fire, this story will explain a-lot of details that readers would have missed out on if they started reading War of the Demons first. It also makes every single member Bad Ass.
- Recommended by jgkitarel
- Synopsis: An interesting combination fic that manages to merge both Breath of Fire II and Breath of Fire III. Considering that it's written by Gregg Landsman, be ready for the unexpected.
- Comments: This story manages to combine major plot aspects from both games, though the base of the story is firmly rooted around Breath of Fire II, aspects of Breath of Fire III crop in early and start taking a more significant role as the story goes on.