"Amen."Yet again with a little extra help
is a Naruto
fanfic written by author Third Fang.
Set in a Alternate Universe
where Akatsuki wins (among other things), a Traveler from a different Universe pushes the Reset Button
on the whole thing, allowing Naruto and select others to start things over. From that rather uninspired beginning
a world of insanity and Crazy Awesome
begins to emerge.
Complete as of 13/07/2012. Covers the pre-timeskip events. Sequel is in out by the name of Take Two Round Two
. FFN word count - 1,262,255.
As of Take Two Round Two
chapter 4, a characters
page has been requested by Third Fang.
This fanfiction provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Sasuke, when he channels fire and lightning elemental chakra into his sword simultaneously. For example, fighting off Naruto's flaming boulder barrage in the Chunin Exams and forcing Kimimaro to discard his bone sword spring to mind.
- Not to mention its simultaneous paralysis and burning capabilities, the latter of which is compared to poison.
- Also, Tenten. Even when she's using bows and arrows.
- Water elemental chakra is stated to actually increase the sharpness of a blade by leaps and bounds on top of other benefits. Guess what Zabuza's Great Beheader can channel that the other Seven Swordsman's blades can't. It even keeps its other super-sharpness upgrade.
- Waltz's sword, God's Tear: "It enables me to cut through that which cannot be cut and nothing more." This includes the connection between the sacrifice and the summoned for Edo Tensei.
- Borderline when dealing with Naruto and his first set of Fox Talons... but the Fox Talons 2.37 are definitely capable of this, bringing a boss-summon-scaled chakra blade to bear that can even split one of the Sanbi's water blasts in half.
- Abusive Parents: Hinata and Gaara deal with this in different ways. Hinata grows a backbone, snaps back, and shows the entire clan just what she's capable of. Gaara simply allows Orochimaru to kill his father. AGAIN.
- Adaptational Badass: Hinata, even moreso than her canon counterpart. She's one of the hardest-hitting members of the Rookie 12, up there with Naruto and Rock Lee, and possibly the most skilled next to Naruto. She even had Kabuto cornered when he went after Naruto instead of Sasuke due to a small case of the Butterfly Effect.
- Rock Lee has been given the Adaptational Badass treatment when Crypt gives him a potentially gamebreaking edge, and Zabusa starts training him in the art of Silent Killing.
- Tenten is definitely this, having ascended from weapons spammer to weapon replicator and Person of Mass Destruction after a risky seal was applied by Scabbard. She was the other individual besides Sasuke taken to train with Kimimaro.
- Shikamaru, more than ever, now. The chainlink gives him an even greater mental edge, and Shadow's training has given him raw power on par with Gaara.
- Both Hana and Anko, without a doubt. Dating an Oogakari definitely has its benefits.
- Adaptation Expansion: Naruto's mission guarding the prince of Moon Country and his caravan from the third movie. Naruto and his teams are hired by the prince practically at the beginning of the journey instead of in the middle, leading to a mission that is months long instead just a few weeks. And including far more escapades.
- Said escapades include Naruto and his teams foiling a coup as they attend a movie in Spring country (giving Princess Koyuki her own expansion) and attending an author-original sword tournament in the Land of Iron, where FOUR OF AKATSUKI are present. And if THAT wasn't bad enough Naruto and company try to corner said members in a trap in the land of waves after the tournment, Said trap taking place where the Sanbi no Kame is resting... and WAKE IT UP!!!
- The fic as a whole counts as one since it took 44 massive chapters to proceed from Academy to the end of the Chunin Exam Invasion arc. As of May 2011, there are 65 chapters with over one million words, and there is at least the above-mentioned arc to finish before proceeding to the timeskip.
- Advancing Boss of Doom: Orochimaru during the Chunin exams, Akatsuki in the Land of Iron and Han, jinchuriki of the Gobi during the Capture Han arc. And yes, in all three cases, they eventually catch up and do damage.
- Adults Are Useless: Well, the Sandaime was after doing nothing when Naruto was beaten half to death.
- Also directed at Jiraiya and Kakashi.
- All Is Well That Ends Well: Clearly averted when Ghost calls out Sarutobi, Jiraiya, and Kakashi on their chronic neglect towards Naruto as a young child. Ghost even beats the living crap out of Jiraiya WHILE he has Pa attached to his shoulder in Sage Mode.
- Partially counter-subverted when Naruto forgives a "future-savvy" Sarutobi, with healthy helpings of heartwarming and humor. Hilariously so with Naruto and Jiraiya during preparations for the Chunin Exams and Invasion.
- Scabbard blasts Minato practically halfway across the training grounds immediately after temporarily reviving him with a puppet as retribution for botching Naruto's seal so badly.
- Neji yells at Shadow and Ghost when he finds out that they allowed him to lose his eye to prove a lesson to everyone. They had a valid point and while he may trust them on missions and eventually his life, he would never forget that they nearly let him die horribly. Shino, Shikamaru, and Naruto also have a few words, but not nearly as much.
- Animal Motifs: Each of the Oogakari can turn into an animal. Ghost's cat affinity puts him at odds with the Inuzuka dogs for a while but rarely comes up much. Scabbard, in comparison, spends a good amount of time as a wolf.
- Crypt assumes a poultry-based form that is not to be spoken of, even by the other Oogakari, for fear of inviting apocalyptic consequences. Naruto, Hana, Anko, and Danzo quickly adopt this well-deserved terror.
- Crypt used to turn into a crow, befitting his reaper motif, but he changed for reasons no one can remember.
- Ever since Naruto nabbed his own motif, he has adopted an eternal fear of The Hunt.
- Since Chapter 67, it's been revealed that Naruto also has a "Full Mini Fox" form a la Pilot Manga, that he's keeping in reserve for a REALLY rainy day with Hinata, so to speak.
- Anti-Villain: Yaksha the convict is Type I.
- Arranged Marriage: Unbeknownst to Naruto and Hinata, Hiashi and Ghost have them betrothed just in case someone tries to pull some political bull and marry off Hinata to someone else.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Sarutobi finally loses his temper with Orochimaru in their roof-top battle when the latter reveals that he knew the secret to dealing with paperwork all along and never told him.
"I told you I would have made a better Kage... sensei..."
"You evil little bastard!"
- Naruto considers his struggle to make his hood properly conceal his identity just as climactic as the coordination of his teams to utterly crush a coup aimed at Princess Koyuki.
- Also Zabuza when reading of list of the crimes Kurotetsu is wanted for from the bingo book. "Kurotestu Yoshimaru. A Ranked missing nin. Wanted for the murder of several nobles and high standing families as well as theft, grand larceny, and not paying for services at numerous bars and hostels."
- Artificial Limbs: Scabbard utilizes a robotic prosthetic since his right leg is missing below the knee.
- He later meets Chiyo on the same trip he delivered Ramidreju to Temari, replacing his robotic leg with a puppet one, after a brief period of instruction.
- Ascended Extra: Hinata, Hanabi, Hana, Anko, Tenten, Haku, Zabuza, and Kin. Also Yugito, Roushi, Fuu, Onoki, and Kurotsuchi to a lesser extent...for now.
- Asexuality: strongly implied to be Scabbard and, of all people, Orochimaru
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The Oogakari seeing as how they're implied to have pummelled deities and the like. Even a Level 9999 Baal is implied to be a warm-up for them. Almost everyone in Konoha defaults to their judgment... eventually.
- Jiraiya and Sarutobi have experienced this firsthand.
- So much so that the Oogakari were very briefly put into consideration for succession to Hokage before the idea was discarded due to their status as the
Big Bigger Bigger-ER Good. Not to mention what such a succession would actually ENTAIL for Konohagakure.
- The main reason why the Rookies default to Naruto's and Hinata's leadership, especially the former. This is demonstrated on an instinctive level when Naruto fights his way through the storm during the Moon Country Arc with the Seventh Sense and sheer force of will.
- Atomic F-Bomb: Naruto lets out the biggest one of his life in ch. 61 under two silencing seals for an entire scene. (With good reason; see Spanner in the Works below.)
- A slightly lesser atomic but nonetheless noticeable one from Naruto when he realizes he's fighting Rock Lee in the preliminaries of the Chunin Exam's third stage.
- And then after rodeo riding Manda, Ghost gives us...
Kuromaru sweatdropped. "You landed on your shoulder, didn't you?"
- A Truce While We Gawk: When Naruto's group is beset by foreign shinobi, the Akatuski, and the freshly awakened three-tailed turtle, Naruto launches into a long-winded I've-had-it-with-this-shit rant that has literally everyone on hand—including the three-tails!—stop and stare at him in surprise.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Triumphantly subverted when Naruto's prior reasoning with Sasuke and common sense prevail.
- Sasuke arrives with his Blaze Edge and 3-Tomoe Sharingan and places Naruto's safety before his own enmity towards his brother. The two team up against Itachi and Kisame using hand signals, teamwork, and coordinated jutsu to facilitate a tactical retreat, giving the latter a much tougher time of it. The battle still is a foregone conclusion against Sasuke and Naruto, but the fact that two 13-year-old genin managed to push Kisame so far is nothing short of amazing.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Apparently a family trait. Zabuza lampshades this fact as he tries to prevent Scab from slaughtering everyone in a fangirl induced rage by quickly distracting him with something else. Squirrels and sweets are the case for Shadow, squirrels and...everything else for Crypt.
Ghost. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hey look a ryo OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
- Author Appeal: All of the Oogakari family members wear a Badass Longcoat decorated with flames and clothes with tribal symbols.
- Author Avatar: Ghost.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: A drunken Ghost enacting a trans-dimensional escape from a rampaging Shadow after eating Crypt's questionable cooking serves as this for the Naruto universe, when he stumbles into Naruto's Biju extraction process at the beginning of the story. Given, the Oogakari aren't precisely neutral, but it took an event of sheer ridiculous dumb luck for them to even FIND the dimension in the first place.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Any of the Oogakari, considering the overwhelming amount of sheer experience they all have dealing with practically any situation. Ghost is a practiced expert in all of this when he's not busy being a pervert or a perfect imitation of a cadaver, but Scabbard by far takes the cake. And the entire line of cakes. And the line of bakeries that PRODUCE that line of cakes.
Scabbard: "Back to sensing. On Naruto's front… of course… the Sanbi. Far be it for me to assume that a .00137 percent chance not actually become fruitful when Naruto is around."
- Awful Truth: Any of the Oogakari's pasts, plus their relapses. Yes, even Shadow.
- Hinata figures this out by herself with help from Shikamaru and
spying stalking observing.
- Even with this, Teuchi and Ayame don't hesitate to comfort and protect Naruto.
- They even deliver one to Team 8 and Team 10 themselves. Even Gaara is impressed.
- Completely subverted by Naruto as he adopts many of Ghost's views and mannerisms. One specific example is his heart-to-heart with Sasuke and Sakura in the Land of Waves arc.
- Sasuke subverts this during the Main Branch Coup, essentially cementing his immunity to a Face-Heel Turn.
- The Oogakari tell them that they will become sociopaths eventually to deal with the stress of the upcoming war.
- Back from the Dead: A given, considering the fic's Reset Button attributes, but particularly important because those who actually died or were on the verge of death were given one of Ghost's special chain links for each of those times. These chain links restore memories from the past/future. Naruto got FIVE.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Naruto, the rest of the Rookie 12, Haku, and Gaara's team during the Chunin Exam Invasion. They proceed to kick a LOT of Oto ass alongside their teachers and allies.
- Sasuke and Sakura invoke this when protecting a civilian family while engaging three Oto Jonin and KABUTO.
- Naruto and Sasuke teaming against just about anyone in this fic, but most prominently versus Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki.
- And one of those times had them take on the Sanbi with the assistance of the toads, ending in a triple collaboration technique between Naruto, Sasuke and Gamabunta which deals the finishing blow in the fight.
- Bad Dreams: Ghost has them, presumably related to his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Badass: It goes without saying that there needs to be a big fat list for how much badass the author has bestowed onto so many characters.
- Badass Army/Badass Crew: The Rookie Twelve are essentially the latter, with enough raw power and skill to rip through anything short of an Akatsuki member or a Kage. Even their least-skilled members are more than capable enough to systematically outmaneuver and take down entire squads of Chunin and Special Jonin without sustaining significant injury. The most-skilled members could likely have stood at the forefront of the Fourth Shinobi World War and inflicted stunning damage. And this is BEFORE the timeskip.
- Naruto himself embodies the former and several others tropes with his trademark and not-so-trademark powers. Not only has he gone from pumping out hundreds of clones to THOUSANDS of clones, but they now possess his insane fighting capability, particularly with his Fox Talons and twin elemental affinities in ninjutsu. They can be pumped full of Kyubi chakra and can also be primed to explode like Itachi's shadow clones... several hundred at a time. Individual clones were even shown to be capable of forming their own Rasengan solo as early on as Chapter 5. If that isn't a Badass Army, NOTHING IS.
- Using the Seventh Sense as the conduit for natural energy, Naruto no longer has a two-clone limit in Sage Mode. Or, potentially, a limit period, for that matter.
- Badass Family: The Oogakari and HOW
- Played with regarding Anko's adamant pursuit of Ghost. One of the reasons why the latter is so leery of revealing War Scars. Fortunately, Anko's willing to share with Hana.
- Pretty much a given for one certain Battle Couple ever since Ghost's arrangement with Hiashi.
- Badass Grandpa: Waltz.
- Bad with the Bone: Ghost's wings courtesy of Zuzushi.
- Balance of Power: One of the main underlying concerns of the Raikage with respect to the Oogakari. Justified in that said clan has been busy taking a sledgehammer to said balance of relations, in all likelihood to increase preparation for the Fourth Shinobi World War.
- Chapter 66 laid down the framework for tentatively improved relations with Konoha for Kumo and Kiri, and Chapter 67 has set up Zabuza and Haku as the first ambassadors of an alliance with Kiri.
- Balls of Steel: Ghost only WISHES he had these. And acid-resistant ones too.
"IT BURNS!! WHY WON'T IT STOP BURNING?!?"
- Battle Aura: Expanded upon as "presence" and "killing intent." All of the Oogakari possess this to an extreme degree, and every person's "intent" has its own unique characteristic.
- Naruto was the first in-universe character to score his own unique intent, followed by Zabuza, Hana, and Anko. Given that all three are close to Ghost in one way or another, this comes as no surprise. Their combined presence is capable of breaking the fighting spirit of an entire coup's worth of battle-hardened shinobi. Haku and Hinata have developed this as well.
- Naruto's feels like countless overwhelming animals tearing at the air. Hinata's is like a lavender sun. Kakashi's is a white wolf with mismatched red and yellow eyes. Zabuza's is a demon's upper body. Hana's feels like countless beasts watching over the area. Anko's feels like a snake, occasionally flicking it's tongue. Haku's is the embodiment of "cold" itself.
- There's also the Biju Cloaks, which feel horribly unnatural to normal ninja.
- The Oogakari have their own pressure associated with their killing intent that can rattle even Bijuu. In chapter 74 Shadow is so pissed off at being left behind even the bijuu are terrified, and I should mention even Shukaku, who is Ax-Crazy, was terrified.
"Don't. Move. Don't. Blink. Don't even breathe. If you catch her attention now when she's pissed. Then. We. ARE. FUCKED!"
- Battle Couple: Quite a few Naruto/Hinata, Sasuke/Sakura, Choji/Ino, Neji/Tenten, Lee/Kin, and well not a couple per say, more of OT 3 Anko/Ghost/Hana
- Because You Were Nice to Me: One of, if not THE, primary reasons that Sasuke completely rejected any prospect of a Face-Heel Turn against his teammates and has become such a team player.
- Sasuke repays the favor during the Hyuuga Coup Arc, defending Naruto after his status as the Kyubi's Jinchuriki is revealed and many of his friends begin to waver.
- The Kyuubi, to a lesser extent, but he still enjoys making Naruto and his parents squirm.
- Beehive Barrier: Any of Waltz's barriers, particularly the one that repelled Naruto's Rasenshuriken and prevented Orochimaru's escape.
- Was subjected to The Worf Effect at least once, and in all probability, many, many times, against the power of the DCD.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Anko, Hana and Ghost. Despite how they treat him, it's obvious they care about him a lot, which they even admit when asked seriously.
- Berserk Button: Waltz, if children are threatened. And how.
- Ghost (and his family) if Ghost's last relationship is used against him.
- Don't mess with Anko or Hina either.
- Using the Seventh Sense's capability to create voids on living things is very heavily implied to be this for Ghost, on par with the former example. So much so that he threatens to abandon Naruto if the boy ever does such a thing.
- Tenten: don't make fun of her chest.
- Apparently comparing the Gobi to Shukaku is an especially huge one as Naruto learns.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Waltz. Do not threaten children around him.
- Hinata also gets this treatment once Ghost trains her alongside Naruto early on, primarily directed at the Hyuuga Main Branch.
- Haku, towards Zabuza, Ghost, and any of the antagonists she faces. Tail of the Northern Dragon, indeed.
- Big Fancy House: The Namikaze Estates and the Oogakari clan complex, the latter of which is a HELL of a lot bigger than most think.
- Bilingual Bonus
Ghost: "Damn straight! I've pissed off everything from small infant animals to inanimate objects to freaking gods! You name it, I've made fun of it to its face in its own native language plus five others."
Crypt: "Ich bin ein Berliner!"
- Also: Naruto being "Minion Number Q"; "Q" = "Kyu" = Japanese for 9, Naruto holds the Kyubi, the 9-tails.
- Bi the Way / Casual Kink: "Woo, kinky sex time!"
- Hana, the Alpha-in-line, enjoys getting whipped like an Omega.
- Anko. Bloodstained silk panties and snakes "that one time." That is all.
- Hinata, of all people, gets a nosebleed at the prospect of messing around with a female Naruto.
- Sakura, at the thought of Yaoi between Neji and Naruto
- Black Eyes of AWESOME: One characteristic of Ghost's eyes.
- Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word: Subverted in that blackmail is such a beautiful word for certain members of the Rookie 12, particularly Naruto and Sasuke.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Naruto, when he gets his Fox Talons. He gets three sets of blades, two pairs capable of close-quarters brawling complete with a "shield-stabbing-you-in-the-face" maneuver and another pair that is quite literally taken from the Assassin's Creed universe.
- Ghost had those bracers in mind from the beginning, and trained Naruto to create his Rasengan onehanded and compress them significantly so the kid could use the Ezio blades and his Rasengan simultaneously.
- After practically destroying his first set in the Main Branch Coup arc, Naruto gained a second set from Scabbard right before they fought four Akatsuki members and the Sanbi during the Moon Country arc. The blades are far larger, especially during critical/epic moments, and can channel both wind and earth chakra.
- The Blind Leading the Blind: Played awesomely straight with Ghost and the Rookie 12 the night before the beginning of the Chunin Exams, featuring a bona fide Leap of Faith.
- Bloody Hilarious: Crypt.
- Blood Knight: If he weren't an OC, Crypt may as well be the trope namer for glaring reasons.
- He loves fighting more than anything else, so much that he's become extremely capable of slaughtering his opponents in a straight jacket while wielding a demonic scythe in his MOUTH.
- Ryougi is another case, getting along very well with Crypt due to this to the point where he is the only one left alive out of Orochimaru's group of experiments. The escapees from Iwa also count, though some were seeing their escape as a way to fulfill their duties to their nation in the shadows.
- Blood Magic: As above, Crypt. Up to Eleven.
- In a literal sense, his blood perpetually and rapidly regenerates, which his why he is the only one that can handle the Third Fang in the first place.
- Blow You Away / Razor Wind: Ghost and Naruto also taken to EXTREME levels.
- The Seventh Sense: all-seeing sensory apparatus, sudden and incredibly precise movement control, levitation, Sage Chakra magnet (WHILE MOVING!), air filter, and weapon of battlefield-leveling mass slaughter, all in one. Potentially for kilometers in every direction.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Guess who has it.
- Book Ends: Dosu, The Fourth Kazekage, and Kongo are all killed by the same person in the anime.
- Boring Immortal Hero: Half-subverted by the Oogakari. Immortal? Yes. Boring? HELL NO.
- Is it really boring if you throw yourselves into a volcano for a fair while to avoid SCIENCE?
- Breath Weapon: Shadow and Zuzushi. The former uses hers to pummel an unfortunate Jirobo during her Curb-Stomp Battle against the remainder of the Sound Four. The latter uses it to wipe out ten second-stage Curse Seal Oto shinobi with a single strike and to blow massive chunks out of Manda.
- Broken Aesop: DEFINITELY do as the Oogakari say, not as they do. And sometimes, NOT EVEN THEN. Goes
double triple quad- QUINTUPLE for Crypt.
- Buffy Speak: Dragon Demon Goddess... Thing.
Anko chuckled. "Haha. Oh Kurenai, you and your silly thinking thoughts."
Naruto (after groin damage): "I will fight for the honor of my lost 10,000 potential half children things… and the battle shall be glorious!"
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Ghost, Crypt, Shadow, and eventually Naruto.
- Scabbard assumes a TV/radio announcer's personality whenever he gets near a microphone. Even Ghost cannot fathom.
- Butterfly of Doom: Aside from relatively minor ones, there is one huge one that was the result of the Domino Effect.
- Ghost takes several assasination jobs getting rid of high-profile slavers that were never done in the previous timeline. This causes Gato to get nervous and hire ninja from Kusa to protect him. While in Wave the Kusa nin run into Naruto and figure out that he is the son of the Fourth Hokage, due to their leader having worked with him during the war. After returning said leader accidentally reveals Naruto's lineage to people from Iwa while drunk. This results in Kurotsuchi, Onoki, and Roshi being in Konoha during the chunnin exams to see if the rumors are true. When they get back Kurotsuchi tells a "Kill Namikaze" faction about Naruto which results in Han and several other prisoners escaping from Iwa. This then leads to Naruto and company getting attacked on their way home from Moon country. As a result of the battle Neji loses his eye and Naruto's status as Namikaze's son and his status as the Kyuubi's container are revealed to everyone. How much further the butterfly effect will extend from there is unknown.
- Post-Time Skip, Konoha and Iwa are essentially in a cold war as a result of this incident, meaning the Fourth Great Shinobi World War may be between them instead of the Five Great Nations and the Land of Iron vs. the Akatsuki and their White Zetsu/Edo Tensei Zombie Army.
- Butt Monkey: Zabuza, who is pretty much Scabbard's bitch. Ghost (and sometimes Naruto) tend to make themselves into this trope.
- Sometimes, Naruto is practically The Chew Toy.
- Kiba and Kankuro get a lot of ribbing and bruises for being impulsive and lecherous. Kiba also gets a lot of flack over his intelligence and hygiene (or lack thereof).
- Calling Your Attacks: Done straight and subverted on many, many occasions. Naruto and Sakura's strategies both revolve around their opponents not knowing exactly what they're doing until it's much, much too late. Even when members of the Rookie 12 call out their attacks, their opponents have little to no chance to evade or counter since they're so damn fast. Particularly Hinata.
- Sasuke calls out his Blaze Edge once or twice, but since then has been capable of activating it without prior warning.
- Lampshaded in the Land of Snow arc when Naruto renames the movie upgrade to his Rasengan. Admittedly, it sounds much cooler.
- No longer an issue for Rock Lee. His Training from Hell has made him so swift that he can deliver double-digit numbers of crippling blows to his opponents in the time it takes to let out a "Konoha Senpu." And this is BEFORE he opens any Celestial Gates.
- Subverted almost 100% by the Oogakari. Only Ghost calls a few attacks, because he created those original jutsu himself, most likely to give to Naruto.
- Can't Catch Up: Averted for almost everyone that suffered in canon.
- Arguably Ino and Kiba, but post-exam events have shown they're steadily getting better. Lest we forget, Kiba hasn't even gotten an opportunity to show off his Wolf Techniques yet, and he's being taught by HANA. Ino's being trained by Anko too (hmm, pattern here?) and she's come up with some pretty lethal poisons.
- Hinata's insecurities revolving around this rise to the surface more than once, and Naruto's always there to prove them wrong.
- Ghost and Crypt cut this off before Lee can get this notion even remotely close to his bushy-browed head.
- A decisive part of the reason why Tenten chooses the 20% chance of death right there and then applying Scabbard's special seal rather than confront the events in 3 years' time without it.
- Both Neji and Sasuke have felt this about Naruto as of Chapter 67. In actuality, this applies from Naruto to pretty much everybody in his age group, what with the SEVENTH SENSE and all...
- Change the Uncomfortable Subject: Double Subversion. After they learn that Naruto has the Kyuubi sealed in him, Lee tries to cheer everyone up by saying that they should bring Naruto to the festival tomorrow before realizing that it's the day of the Kyuubi's defeat. Kin immediately points out, in detail, how crappy that day must be for Naruto each year. Sai then asks why THEY don't just throw him a party.
- Chekhov's Skill: The Rasengan has become even more so, extending to Hinata.
- Maelstrom of the Wind God/Fujin no Naruto is implied to be this.
- The Chessmaster: Shikamaru has this going for him. After the Chunin Exam matches, he takes Scabbard's place as tactical coordinator and commands the entire defense of Konohagakure against Orochimaru's forces. The results are awesomely predictable.
- With Shikamaru in possession of "pieces" such as Naruto, Gaara, Zabuza, and the Oogakari, how could it have gone any other way?
- Scabbard, without a shadow of a doubt. Pre-timeskip, he outmaneuvers four members of Akatsuki, sends them into retreat, negotiates the sealing and capture of the Sanbi, and sets the stage for improved relations between Kumo and Kiri. ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
- Clingy MacGuffin: Ghost's powers, without a doubt. So much so that parts of those powers are capable of clinging to others!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Does not begin to describe what is up with the Oogakari family. Crypt takes it Up to Eleven.
- Combination Attack: A whole BOATLOAD of these, most prominently among members of the Rookie Twelve.
- Firestorm. The first of Naruto and Sasuke's Collaboration techniques.
- Napalm Flow and its subsequent rockwall explosion via Atsugai is noted to have potential.
- As does Sasuke shooting Napalm Flow through one of Naruto's Voids.
- Naruto's Wind Style, Sasuke's Fire Style, and Gamabunta's Toad Style equals Hellfire Tempest. Long story short, it overwhelms the Three-Tailed Turtle.
- Lee performing a five-Celestial-Gate-empowered Primary Lotus, delivering his victim, Kakuzu's wind beast, face first into Hinata's Dai Ou Kaiten.
- Naruto catching and lowering an unfortunate Ishidate into a synchronized twin Kaiten attack by Hinata and Neji.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Compensating for Something: Sasuke points out that Tenten would be accused of this is she were a man.
"Why does EVERYONE SAY THAT?"
- Corpsing: Shikaku during Ino's epic meltdown in the Chunin exams due to him sitting next to her father at the time
- Shikaku: "Must. Not. Laugh. Laugh. Equals. Mind Rape. Mind Rape. Is. Troublesome."
- The Corruption: Shadow gave the jinchuuriki a bottle of All the evils in the world for their training...if you know the Nasuverse, then you know just how bad it is.
- Crazy-Prepared: Scabbard might as well be the trope namer for this. His insane mental processing speeds mean that the time it takes for him to actually become tactically unbeatable can be as short as a few minutes, instead of weeks, months, or years. When he arrives in the Naruto universe, the Oogakari influence in Konoha goes from Ghost ad-libbing encounter after encounter to Scabbard establishing contingency plans for practically everything imaginable.
- Except being reverse-summoned by his team... on thin air instead of on a branch.
- Crack Fic: Arguably so with the tendency to take things Up to Eleven for both the humor and awesome.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Naruto does this on purpose, Lee, Gai, Ghost, Shadow and Crypt just Crypt.
- Cutaway Gag: Very frequent, usually to a person intuitively reacting to a comment they weren't there to hear.
- Cute Bruiser: Post-chainlink Sakura gets this, of course, nabbing her Super Strength early enough to exploit it in the Chunin Exam Invasion arc, but Shadow by far takes the cake. She's described as a young woman slightly on the smaller side with features befitting royalty... but she hits hard enough to toss around the Sound Four like pebbles, and that's WITH their Level Two Curse Seals activated. Barring Waltz, her fighting style has been shown to be the most physical out of all the Oogakari.
- Even without her claw gauntlets, shadow powers, or elemental enhancements, her strength is implied to be on-par with Tsunade's, at the very least. Tsume and Shikaku can both attest to this fact.
- Hinata invokes this by deviating from her clan's Gentle Fist style to unleash attacks of sheer, straight-on force. With her own personal modifications to her style brought about by her study of the Rasengan, her own Gentle Fist isn't quite that gentle anymore.
- Her first shown use of Rasengan in Chapter 67 has her steamrolling through entire columns of Shabadaba's coup d'etat soldiers at a time.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique/Deadly Upgrade: Subverted in that Naruto's Rasenshuriken and Kyubi chakra infusions have long since ceased to be significant threats to the boy's health, although in the latter's case, extreme circumstances have still caused significant backfiring. However, since said circumstances include summoning several hundred chakra-infused exploding shadow clones against one of the Sannin and fighting Rock Lee nonstop with 5 Celestial Gates activated, he may as well have gotten off scot-free, seeing as the Kyubi's chakra damage stacks on for every clone that Naruto makes.
- Played completely straight with the author-original Maelstrom of the Wind God/Fujin no Naruto in Chapter 14. It requires 82 hand seals and mid-high Kage-level chakra reserves just to SURVIVE performing. The results are implied to be only a tad short of apocalyptic.
- Dark Action Girl: Yami the Butcher and Lady Spitfire.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Ghost's love life.
- Whatever events that caused Waltz to be known as the Red Flood.
- Potentially Shadow's OWN love life.
- Quite well-hidden if you don't read her character profile. It's conveyed in two blink-and-you'll-miss-it-moments: A passing reference to Shikamaru's powers and Shikaku's inquiry regarding Oogakari intent to start families.
- The author takes Naruto's younger childhood down this road in spades when Naruto remembers a few years of his life wandering malnourished and homeless, even encountering drunks and rapists in alleys. Thankfully, none of the latter got close to catching him, but still...
- Death by Adaptation: Kitsuchi and Akatsuchi (Kurotsuchi's father and brother) were killed by the Fourth Hokage in the Third Shinobi World War. The author turns this into a good chunk of character development for both Onoki and Kurotsuchi.
- Kidomaru early, by Naruto and his Rasenshuriken
- A whole truckload of Main Branch Hyuuga, if the events of the failed coup are any indication.
- Played with when a future-savvy Gaara butchers Dosu in the exact same way. Apparently, he thought it was alright to threaten Temari with physical harm in front of the Ichibi Jinchuriki
- Death Is Cheap: Not worth more than a haypenny to Ghost. He even gets killed once when Naruto showcases his Sage Mode abilities to the growing faction of shinobi that Ghost himself had been preparing. Naruto gets off with a punch to the gut.
- Happens quite often to Naruto during Ghost's training in-between the time-skip. At first Played for Laughs but in the sequel series it is clear that some deaths were FAR more traumatic than the ones he first experienced.
- Deconstruction Fic.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Subversively justified. Ghost explains how people are more receptive to a friendship speech after you've worn them out, calmed them down, and got the adrenaline out of their system. You don't even have to use good logic at the point. Any logic will do if they're too worn out to argue.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit: Naruto plays it both straight and subverted to win two of his most intense fights. It's the only way he came out on top against Hinata's devastating Dai Ou Kaiten/64 Palms combo and Lee's Reverse Lotus, respectively.
- Determinator: Subverted in that almost all the fights the protagonists have been wrapped up so far have been decisively ended in their favor before it gets anywhere CLOSE to that point.
- Played straight with Naruto vs Rock Lee in the preliminaries.
- Naruto's final fight against Dotou during the Princess Koyuki arc shows that he's taken the trope Up to Eleven, even compared to his canon self.
- Naruto rescuing his teammates from Orochimaru in the Forest of Death. His army of Kyubi-empowered, suicide-bomber shadow clones are still engaging him in a pitched battle by the time Anko, Hana, and Ghost arrive.
- Naruto's unbroken daylong chain of Badass during the Chunin Exam Invasion arc exemplifies this. To clarify, he fights Sasuke and Hinata in two epically pitched matches, then deploys hundreds and hundreds of shadow clones all over Konohagakure to help repel the invasion and protect citizens. He then enters Sage Mode to unleash a Rasenshuriken that obliterates both Kidomaru and the Four Flames Barrier. And he STILL has more than enough strength to clear an entire sector's worth of Oto shinobi that several teams of Taki and Konoha Special Jonin and Jonin were stalemating against. Even when he's reduced to only a Chunin's worth of chakra, he's insistent on continuing the fight.
- Naruto defying the forces of nature, blocking the massive storm at sea from affecting Prince Michiru's ship, rain, wind, and all. He even plows through a tidal wave to prevent Hikaru and Lee from getting swept overboard.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Ghost, one of the retainers of Zuzushi, is capable of actually defeating the Sky Mother and her host, the former of which is an entity that universally terrifies gods and demons both. He actually does this in a sparring match to blow off steam after Tsume seriously antagonizes him.
- Tenten pretty much states this when Kushina makes the Kyuubi heel with her chains.
- Dirty Old Man: Hiruzen, Onoki, Roushi, and Ghost.
- Dissonant Serenity: Hinata could possibly rival Unohana.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Extended to Onoki and Roshi. By both Naruto AND Konohamaru's group.
Onoki: "Ugh. What the hell happened…?"
- Door Stopper: The current average is just under 15,000
words units-of-awesome per chapter, and the story's got a loooooong way to go before catching up to the manga.
Chapter 50: Oh dear god, I've made 50 of these chapters and I'm still nowhere near the time skip…
- Oh, and the fic updates about once every 1-2 weeks. Third Fang is a machine.
- At Chapter 66 Third Fang has cleared over 1,000,000 words.
- Look at it this way. Third Fang has put up roughly 1,200,000 words in a period of 900, that is 1300 words per day, everyday. this time figure does not remove the time taken up buy revisions or time spent other things like sleeping and eating.
- At the final count, the story is 75 chapters long (and two small announcements) with a total of 1,262,281 words. That's 16393 words per chapter. Yeah, it counts.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Ghost seems to find getting the crap kicked out of him just as funny as whatever stunt he pulled to set it off in the first place. A reluctant Naruto also gets this when forced to peep for said pervert.
- Anko is also definitely privy to this when she tosses an underwear-covered Naruto into the female section of the baths for training. Three guesses what kind of underwear the poor kid was covered in.
- Sarutobi milks this to the brim by sending Naruto on a near-literal Suicide Mission into the heart of the Secret Jonin Kunoichi Hot Springs in order to take a whole batch of dirty pictures to placate Onoki and entertain Roshi. Naruto avoids their bloody vengeance just long enough to hand off the camera.
- Naruto suffers refusals to rejuvenate him twice on the Moon Country mission, the first from Hinata after his impromptu "spar" with Sasuke, and the second by Kushina when he overdoes it on the alcohol and comes within a hairsbreadth of stripping...with the Sexy Jutsu activated.
- The Dreaded: The Biju and the Shinigami all shy away from speaking the actual name of the Sky Mother, Zuzushi, much in the same manner that 5-year-old witches and wizards avoid saying "Voldemort."
- Naruto has become this Post-Time Skip, having been slated as an S-Rank ninja at the age of thirteen, a feat that only has ever been matched by Itachi. Naturally, when he finds out, he brags about it like no tomorrow, much to Zabuza and Haku's exasperation.
- Rock Lee has a special knife that a) no one has seen him draw out and b) considering the strength of his "silent death" techniques, isn't supposed to be seen.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Sai and Neji gets mistaken for this at Koyuki's new movie premiere much to the latter's dismay.
- Deidara, called out by a PRINNY of all things. Hilarity ensued.
- Ghost pokes fun at the whole Hyuuga clan a few times for this.
- Subverted in that Haku, by popular request, is ACTUALLY a girl in this fic.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: One of the main reasons why the Oogakari won't simply just step in and waste all of the antagonists. Of course, this in no way means that the antagonists have the slightest chance of winning outright.
- Ghost confronts Naruto with this outright after the kid inadvertently allows Hinata to tail them to their training spot. Sufficiently chastised, the young shinobi has taken this trope firmly to heart. And he hasn't let anyone down since.
- Since Ghost's "Black Phoenix," practically every character with a hint of sympathy in their backstory has been given a legitimate shot at this.
- Eccentric Mentor: Take a wild guess. Hint: there's four of them.
- Elemental Powers: The males of the Oogakari clan have all four basic elements covered. Waltz = Water, Ghost = Wind, Crypt = Earth (and Blood). Scabbard adds Lightning & Metal, and all four have gained their powers based on Zuzushi's primal fire, though it doesn't manifest itself as straightforward Kill It with Fire. For example, Ghost's time powers come from burning space-time.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Played with in that multiple elemental affinities are taught to the students, particularly to cover weaknesses, but subverted when awe-inspiring elemental combination jutsu can simply plow through single-elemental attacks, only being countered by better or more powerful combos.
- Naruto's match with Sasuke in the Chunin Exams is made of this, with simple mastery of elemental manipulation giving way to barrages of double and even TRIPLE elemental ninjutsu combinations as attacks are turned back on their users.
- Subverted when Kisame rips through Naruto's earth walls despite an obvious type advantage and being set on fire by Sasuke's Napalm Flow. Also stresses how each Akatsuki is essentially an Advancing Boss of Doom at this point in time, no matter HOW skilled anyone in the Rookie 12 becomes.
- Used to an interesting and complex extent when Naruto, Hinata, and Hiashi discuss the role of elemental chakra in the Hyuuga's Gentle Fist style. Hint-It won't work on Kisame.
- Elite Mooks: During the Chunin Exam Invasion arc, chun, special jounin, and even jounin became this in many, many cases versus the Allied forces, primarily to showcase the prowess of the Rookie 12 and others who Took a Level in Badass.
- Evasive Fight Thread Episode: The one example being the Oogakari facing off against their respective Curse Sealed opponents in the Chunin Exam Arena. Given, the outcome is never really in doubt, considering the actual power gap, but at least ONE of the outmatched warriors, Longclaw, definitely survived that confrontation. The one fighting Scabbard? Weeeeeell, not so much.
- Ch. 62 gave us a small summary of what happened from the survivor.
- Excalibur in the Rust: Naruto's potential, believe it or not, due to Minato and the Shinigami botching the Kyubi's seal. Quite visibly shown when Ghost does some preemptive maintenance before the other members of his family arrive.
- Since then Naruto's gained a top-notch tactical mind only surpassed by Shikamaru, a far more expansive repertoire of ninjutsu and taijutsu, his Fox Talons, twin elemental affinities, and the gamebreaking Seventh Sense.
- Hinata's mistreatment at the hands of the Main Branch effectively did this to her, and Ghost has no qualms about sticking this fact in the clan's face. She's now up there with Naruto, Rock Lee, and Sasuke in terms of sheer Badass.
- Heck, the Oogakari's Training from Hell has been removing the rust from every possible nook and cranny for every single protagonist. Rock Lee and Tenten especially.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: The Rookie 12 do a lot of this to each other during training and the Chunin Exams, but very little when facing actual antagonists. And if they do, it's invariably far too late.
- Dosu inadvertently does this to Naruto by taking a single swing at Kabuto. Granted, being a Peggy Sue may have had something to do with it, but it doesn't take away from the intimidation effect it has on the surrounding Chunin hopefuls that aren't part of the Rookie 12.
- Eye Scream: Waltz and the Main Branch Hyuuga that threatens the Academy students.
"Now then… since I have sufficiently shown you how much your eyes matter to me… "
- Fangirl: Putting aside Sasuke's canonical fans and the memories that haunt Scabbard, Tenten manages to be quite hilarious/terrifying in her pursuit of rare swords. She also manages to throw out quite a lot of Accidental Innuendo while in the throes of sword-lust.
- Sakura was caught at least once by Sasuke rummaging through his garbage pre-chainlink. He's still holding that over her head.
- When Naruto considers the theoretical implications of fangirls learning how to use Shadow Clones... well...
Random Hyuuga Clan Member: "Hiashi-sama! Sasuke Uchiha has just collapsed for some reason! We swear we had nothing to do with it!"
- Even Itachi is terrified of their horrific, Yaoi Fangirl evolution.
- And then there's Hinata's and Shadow's reactions when Naruto finally gets the long promised fuzziez.
- Scabbard's reaction to them is so strong that he shoots Ghost into the sun by pure unconscious reflex when a number of experiments randomly transform the unfortunate Oogakari into a catgirl... on two occasions.
- Poor Naruto gained fan girls in the village after Tsunade revealed he was the Fourth Hokage's son. According to Sasuke and Hinata, this was by far the worse ramification. His mailbox was overloaded with propositions of the romantic kind until Shadow whittled it down to the important stuff. Then some of the girls got the bright idea to ask the Oogakari for favor with him, only for Scabbard to open the door. Hinata had trouble not smiling for over a week after the incident.
- One of the reasons why Sasuke adopted his Kakashi-esque mask during the Time Skip is because the last time he went out in public without it, there was a massive fangirl riot outside his home.
- Fan Service Pack: Hana apparently has to cram a bit more under her chunin vest that her canon figure would suggest.
- Fastball Special: The arrival of the rest of the Oogakari in Konoha. Amusingly inverted upon Shadow at the same time.
- Much later, a grim and bloody Waltz chucked Naruto all the way from the Academy to the Hyuuga clan compound in order to save Hinata and Hiashi from the escaped Main Branch prisoners.
- Faux Affably Evil: Kisame. This version is certainly more rude and his bloodlust is more obvious that the mainstream one, but he still maintains his normal good humor and geniality
- Field of Blades: Scabbard In three words "Unlimited Blade Works"
- As of Chapter 67, it's not just blades anymore.
- Five-Man Band: Of the time travelers and their companions:
- Flash Step: Ghost combines these with unbelievable stealth and the usage of tingling bells to slaughter an entire team of Oto Jonin after both of his arms had been dislocated in a battle with Manda, saving Tsume's life in the process
- Naruto almost gets connected with Minato's Yellow Flash persona after helping clear an entire area of Sound shinobi during the Chunin Exam Invasion, due to a combination of his Seventh Sense's dashing and his own ridiculous speed brought about by his gravity seal. Fortunately, his quick wit prevents him from becoming a target for half the population of Iwa.
- Has the distinct possibility of being turned Up to Eleven for Naruto, particularly because Ghost told Sarutobi that teaching the boy Hiraishin would be unnecessary.
- Naruto vs Lee in the Chunin Exam preliminaries takes this to absurd levels, after the weights and gravity seals come off. And then we come to their aces...
- Foe-Tossing Charge: For several reasons, this is no longer possible against Naruto and his shadow clones.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: One aspect of Ghost and Naruto's Seventh Sense, and it's capable enough to notice Itachi and Kisame in the Land of Iron without tipping the latter off.
- Taken even further when Naruto uses it in Sage Mode. It's been revealed that he can extend the Seventh Sense underwater and through the ground in this stage.
- Kisame's Samehada works against him twice because of the Seventh Sense, and the most recent occasion nearly got him and Itachi pummeled by Gamabunta, even when the Uchiha had masked their chakra signatures.
- Subverted with the Oogakari in that no antagonist truly realizes how unequivocally screwed they are when they go up against one of the clan...not even Orochimaru.
- The Shinigami isn't even capable of this towards Ghost until the latter says the Sky Mother's name out loud.
- Foreshadowing: Ghost said to the 3rd Hokage in one of the early chapters that Naruto won't need to learn the Hiraishin. He doesn't now considering he mixed dashing, substitution and multiple clones to come up with an alternative.
- In the second chapter (Naruto's first day after time traveling), Hinata has a dream about the future timeline. Is is never referenced again until chapter 11 of the sequel, when her Presence is described as familiar by a multiverse traveler who never met her. It's not fully explained, but one may be forthcoming soon.
- Fragile Speedster: Ghost's physical toughness isn't much higher than a low level jonin so when forced to rely solely on his physical abilities he shades into this. This is probably best demonstrated when Gai recounts a taijutsu spar he had with Ghost: Gai managed to win after only one punch, but it took him hours just land that one punch.
- Freak Out: Naruto has one complete with Atomic F-Bomb in chapter 61 upon realizing that he, Bee and four members of Akatsuki (read: Itachi, Kisame, Hidan and Kakuzu) are all at the Sword Fighting tournament at the same time.
- Scabbard has an absolutely hilarious one upon seeing Kurotetsu's FANGIRLS.
- Friend to All Children: Waltz, in both his kindness towards children and his terrifying wrath towards those that would do them harm. His grandfatherly friendship with Hanabi is made of WAFF.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Scabbard, played straight and true, particularly before he even arrives in the Naruto universe.
Scabbard: "Oh sure dear sister… The sound of your obnoxiously loud voice will instantly cause me to work faster and more efficiently while the sound of our impending incarceration has little to no effect on me at all… completely ignoring the fact that creating a trans-dimensional portal device from rusted scrap metal is among the most difficult tasks that can be possibly done, even for me…"
- Gambit Roulette: Scabbard embodies this trope so perfectly, he'd even make Aizen cry. Given that the Oogakari have already gone to the Bleach universe, as Tenten's Zangetsu can attest, he probably already has.
- Genius Ditz: Definitely Naruto, although the ditz component has been rapidly becoming deliberate and partially replaced by becoming The Chew Toy of the Oogakari.
- Played a bit straighter with Ino, particularly in the Land of Spring.
- Played completely straight with Shadow.
- Gentle Giant: Waltz. Unless you hit his Berserk Button.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Naruto gets the ability to use these at will (plus permanent Hellish Pupils).
- Go Look at the Distraction: One of the best defiances of this trope happens in chapter 8 of the sequel, when Naruto is staring down a deeply angered Hinata:
: Oh, Crap
! Uh. Look! (points)
A distraction! Hinata
: (activates her byakugan without taking her eyes off Naruto)
Where? (Beat) Naruto
...have to be honest, I did not think that one through
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Scabbard's fangirl phobia. Comes from studying their minds to find the source of their boundless energy.
- Gorn: Is what happens when you piss off Waltz. Or when the Oogakari go through their yearly death thing.
- The undisputed result whenever War Scars is executed on living beings.
- Or when you block off a Melody Arm. Much worse, with a Melody Suit.
- It's not pretty when you get in between two Kaitens.
- One could only imagine what it would have looked like had Lee driven a living being in his 5-Celestial-Gate-fueled Primary Lotus face-first into Hinata's Dai Ou Kaiten.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Mostly averted compared to most Naruto fics, but the common misuses of teme are all over the place.
- Ground Pound: Epically done by Chouji.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Shadow Oogakari, all the way.
- Handicapped Badass: Ghost is blind. Scabbard is missing a leg.
- Crypt is perpetually clad in a trench coat that doubles as a straight jacket. He is also the designated Blood Knight.
- Waltz recently wowed Hanabi, Konohomaru, and a crowd of academy students by engaging in a high-speed sparring match complete with acrobatics... with a wooden bench firmly attached to his posterior... with CRYPT.
- Think Neji is no longer a threat after losing an eye. THINK AGAIN!
- Head Desk: Happens a few times from various people all Played for Laughs.
- Head Pet: Zuzushi.
- Just don't call her the second word.
- Healing Shiv: Waltz's finger jab. Purposefully chosen from a wide variety of healing technique to be used on Ghost because it inflicts pain in the process.
- Heel-Face Turn: Kin and the Sound Four note
- Zabuza and Haku, the former with hilarious results.
- The entirety of the Suna forces before the Invasion ever begins, especially Gaara and Temari.
- Itachi shortly after Naruto and Sasuke's encounter with him and Kisame. Nagato and Konan have also been slated for this.
- Hell Fire: Now in all four Favourite Colours!
- Hen Pecked Boyfriend: Naurto is officially Hinata's bitch.
- Aren't all males who are dating female ninja Hen Pecked Boyfriends? I distinctly remember Neji musing on this.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Naruto's fully broken free of this trope, but Hinata, despite her latest accomplishments in her training, becomes weighed down by the thought that she can't protect all of her precious people effectively.
- Naruto, Shikamaru, and the Oogakari have essentially been setting about actively averting this trope to prepare for Madara and the Akatsuki.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Zabuza, Crypt and Shadow, all the way.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Waltz is strongly implied to have endured through the effects of this, and he tells as much to Sasuke.
- High-Pressure Blood: Purposefully self-applied by Ghost in a demonstration to Neji and Hinata, much to their bewilderment.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The first Three Hokage invoke this upon Orochimaru when Waltz frees Hashirama and Tobirama from the Sannin's Impure World Resurrection. They tear through all of Orochimaru's defenses, including his Eight Branches Technique and his final snakelike body, setting Hiruzen up for a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- The Third Hokage admits that giving the village council more power wasn't his greatest idea considering how much of a pain they are.
- Hour of Power: Averted by Naruto when he combines Sage Mode and the Seventh Sense to gather nature energy while he's moving. Add in the fact that Ghost has trained him to abuse the potential of his shadow clones even more than canon, and you may as well throw all time limits completely out the window.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: The Civilian part of Konoha's council, the former Hyuuga elders, and some civilians themselves.
- Naruto touches on this in a much more comforting and optimistic tone while comforting a distraught Hinata at the Namikaze estates.
- The Kyuubi invokes this in a discussion with Minato, going so far as to compare mankind to the Jubi in destructive capability.
- Hyper-Destructive Bouncing Ball: One of Chouji's attacks.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Scabbard and he eventually teaches this ability to Tenten.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Any action involving the Oogakari runs on this. Hell, Ghost's everyday life actually runs on this, doubling as Training from Hell.
- Used often and to awesome effect to showcase a new capability gained by the Rookie 12. The Chunin Exam is chock-full of these.
- Naruto vs Lee in the preliminaries is fueled by this. The other genin are suitably intimidated.
- Neji and Sasuke have realized that Naruto's been doing this for quite a while as of Chapter 67.
- Idiot Ball: Crypt usually tends to be more reasonable without Third Fang. Must be due to the lack of blood reaching the brain.
- Immortal Life Is Cheap: So, so true...
- Ghost's immortal life gets expended well over a thousand times within the space of a few minutes every 6 months.
- Scabbard's tests on Ghost in the past, resulting in many gruesome deaths and a couple hilarious ones.
- The Oogakari sans Scabbard have no qualms about hopping into volcanoes to escape SCIENCE.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: God's Tear, Waltz's sword. Literally a tear of God forged into a sword which only capable of cutting that which is cannot be cut and nothing more. Severed Orochimaru's control over his Edo Tensei Hokage puppets.
- Naruto's Fox Talons. His two sets of chakra blades that extend from the sides of the bracers are awesome enough, but the last pair takes the cake.
- The Fox Talons 2.37, now with multiple elements to channel and a supercharged attack that can rip through a Biju's assault.
- Zabuza's Great Beheader has gone from regenerative to holding a ridiculous amount of water, conducting elemental chakra to jack up its killing power, and regenerative.
- Third Fang. The manner in which it's wielded definitely adds to this.
- Temari's new fan, Ramidreju.
- Incendiary Exponent: The main concept behind Naruto and Sasuke's collaboration techniques, ESPECIALLY when Gamabunta is thrown into the mix.
- The Oogakari's fire powers that go with their wings and "servitude" to Zuzushi, particularly Ghost's, which can burn through time and space.
- Indy Ploy: Technically played straight with Naruto in terms of the situations he's run into without a predetermined plan, but since he's now in possession of a tactical mind surpassed only by Shikamaru, these almost always result in resounding success on his end.
- Averted when he lays out detailed plans for the months-long Moon Country mission, but then played straight at the intervals where he has to deal with a coup in the newly christened Land of Spring and the presence of four Akatsuki members at a sword tournament his client is attending.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Pretty much everyone above the age of 13 gets smashed at some point. Some more than others.
- In Spite of a Nail: In early chapters, before the manga revealed what happened the night Naruto was born, Ghost told us that the Kyuubi's yin chakra was sealed in Madara. Rather than Retcon this away later, the Oogakari point out how odd it is that this change hasn't set off a Butterfly Effect.
- This is also a goal for the Oogakari as they train up Naruto and friends to keep the future predictable.
- Instant Expert: Combined with an obvious second try and Ghost's amped-up methods of shadow clone training, Naruto subverts this trope even more than his canon counterpart through impossible levels of training. He's able to use wind elemental manipulation and SAGE MODE before the first part of the Chunin Exams.
- Hinata also gets some of this, so much so that Ghost wants to give the Hyuuga clan a collective slap upside the head.
- Lee's "Youthful Days of Rest" provide this, so much that his speed without weights is portrayed to be on par with his agility with the First or even Second Celestial Gates in canon.
- Interface Screw: The physical effects that Naruto endures during the early stages of the story due to placing a young adult's mind in a preteen's body. Naruto is not amused when he learns that nobody else has to go through it.
- Sakura's Demonic Art Great Distortion Genjutsu completely throws off all of Tenten's senses during the Chunin Exams.
- I Taste Delicious: Naruto on acting as Kakashi's training dummy for chidori variants:
"On a seemingly unrelated note, I found out that cooked me smells delicious."
- Ghost invokes this when he's taunting the head of the Main Branch Coup with a megaphone.
- It Amused Me: The primary motto of the Oogakari family, preceding "Anyone who hurts/offends someone I like will suffer" and "I'll do what I want."
- It's Personal: Sasuke has swiftly adopted this stance against Madara after his fateful talk with Sarutobi. Conversely, it's implied that it's averted for the most part as far as Itachi's concerned.
- Jerkass Gods: Shadow's opinion. She may be right.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While he remains a Knight Templar, in chapter 73 Danzo makes a valid point that Han is too much of a nutter to be saddled with the Gobi for much longer. He is still wrong about several other things.
- Mei tells Zabuza that she tried to contact him to come back to the village. Zabuza points out (while being a dick) "Whoever had the retarded idea to send hunter nin after me saying We have a message from the Mizukage and not expect me to see it was a trap due to the same setup being used multiple times needs to be killed for their sheer stupidity. (Mei sends a Death Glare to Ao)"
- Karma Houdini: With the Oogakari here, this has been utterly and triumphantly subverted. The clan itself is certainly no exception. Even Shadow gets her fair share of pummeling.
- Killed Off for Real: So far the most notable person killed off is Orochimaru.
- Though the sequel has implied that this may not have stuck.
- Kill It with Fire: Sarutobi was contemplating doing this to his office and the Hokage Tower—to the point where ANBU had a betting pool to see if/when he would. He hated paperwork that much. He doesn't in the end, since he learned the secret to doing paperwork and calmed down considerably because of it.
- Though Naruto notes that there were rumors that he did end up setting the place on fire while Naruto was getting Tsunade back.
- Large and In Charge: Waltz Oogakari as far as Konoha knows; he's the most mature and he towers over even IBIKI. Subverted in that judgment is technically Ghost's final say, and the rest of the clan are technically retainers and servants of Shadow and Zuzushi, who are pretty much the smallest 99% of the time..
- Large Ham: Ghost. Naruto too.
- Ghost begging Iruka to teach him the Big Head technique embodies this trope. He uses this technique in the Land of Waves for no other reason than this trope, with predictably hilarious results. Leads to a Brick Joke later on when Onoki and Roshi go over the mission recap from Tazuna and chalk it up to the man's drunkenness.
- Scabbard plus a microphone equals this. Even on gear meant for tactical coordination.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Neji can apparently use Gentle Fist to do this, at least to short-term memory.
- Law of Disproportionate Response: Each of the Rookie Twelve all have nervous breakdowns when something reminds them of their Training from Hell, particularly Naruto and Chouji.
- Ghost: Chinese food and acid-spitting girls.
- Scabbard: Fangirls
- Shadow: Anything with sugar and comments regarding her age/weight/gender. Also, teh fuzziez.
- Lampshaded/subverted in that Tsunade actually has a chart of proportional beatings with respect to Jiraiya's actions. Shadow refuses to follow it, sics a horse-sized Zuzushi on Jiraiya for peeking, and doesn't mind openly challenging the other woman over it. Cue the epic violence.
- Leaked Experience: Taken Up to Eleven by one of Ghost's first moments of absolute Fridge Brilliance. First off, if shadow clone dispelling is staggered, it significantly reduces the strain upon the individual at any one time. Second, the clones that are dispelled share all their experience with all of the remaining clones, which will inevitably be carried on en masse to the original. Add in the fact that only the clones furthest along in their assignments or showing the greatest amount of progress are dispelled, causing the rest of the clones to grasp the exercise extremely quickly.
- To sum up some matter, there is some dispute over the exact math of how much time this process really gives Naruto to train (over whether the process is additive, multiplicative, or exponential), but the end result is that Naruto's new method is clever and more efficient than canon thanks to making sure the experience of the clones who did best is spread out to the ones going down less efficient avenues.
- Though the author doesn't take into account the fact that though staggering the clones' dispelling would reduce the strain of integrating all of those memories at once, it would only exacerbate how quickly mental fatigue would accumulate, reducing their mental efficacy considerably.
- Naruto's not the only one benefiting from this now: Both Sasuke and Hinata have taken up this training as well, though obviously not to the extent Naruto does.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Naruto has transformed from the trope namer to the personified subversion of this trope under the tutelage of the Oogakari.
- One of the main reasons Sakura didn't get her chainlink until after the Chunin Exam preliminaries. Sakura even admits that she would have gone after Orochimaru without restraint or hesitation.
- Let Me Get This Straight: Said word for word on many occasion by many different people.
- Let's Get Dangerous: The Oogakari face off against Akatsuki, resurrected Hokage, Orochimaru, and Boss Summons without showing remotely how dangerous they actually can get. The only truly informed individuals on this matter seem to be the Shinigami and the Bijuu, and even THEY are fearful of Zuzushi and her retainers.
- Naruto's entire progression from Academy to near-Special Jonin has been a massive chain of these, delivered with deep-fried awesome.
- Hinata, Lee, Sakura, and Shikamaru have all gotten this treatment full-blast as well.
- Naruto's match with Lee in the preliminaries is chock-full of this. Arguably more so than any other fight Naruto's been in to date.
- Naruto's epic protection of Prince Michiru's ship, particularly his rescue of Hikaru and Lee from a tidal wave, via Seventh Sense alone.
- Licking the Blade: Anko will go for blood in her sleep if you let her cuddle up to you without checking for weapons for first.
- Crypt is an interesting inversion of the trope, in which the Third Fang has been licking him for hundreds of years.
- Lightning Bruiser: Naruto, Hinata, Sakura and Chouji join Lee in this trope and then all five take it Up to Eleven. And that's just pre-timeskip.
- Hana's elemental Wolf Techniques make more than a few people question if Tsunade's truly the most destructive woman in Konoha, and her training versus Ghost has made her even faster than Tsume, her mother and Inuzuka clan head.
- If the "spar" with Shadow or the fight with Koga is any indication, Ghost is the crowning example in this fic.
- Little Miss Snarker: Shadow, as much as can be, even to Tsunade.
- Hinata's got some of this now.
- Little "No" —> Rapid-Fire "No!" —> Big "NO!" —> Madden Into Misanthropy: Naruto's reaction to the appearance of the Three-Tailed Turtle.
- Lock and Load Montage: Completely and utterly subverted the morning of the Chunin Exam Invasion arc. Ghost wakes up Naruto with an ice cold bucket of water, a brawl breaks out, and then Naruto takes a shower while Ghost fixes up a healthy and nutritious breakfast. 24 hours later, Naruto has a day's kill count that would make even the most hardcore Lock'n'Loaders green with envy.
- Ghost has passed on the belief that the less fuss you make of something, the easier it will come and go.
- Sasuke gets a clear subversion as well, complete with dodging fangirls between changing and brushing teeth on early morning auto-pilot... and then Crypt happens.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Ghost and Neji.
- Loophole Abuse: Hiashi, of all people, invokes this alongside Ghost.
- Since then, the Oogakari have basically subverted this in that they defeat their bureaucratic obstacles with masterful negotiation, overwhelming influence, sheer force, or Crypt.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Ino, temporarily. Possibly the funniest scene in the whole fic.
Sasuke: I'm renewing my restraining order on Ino after this...
- Played with regarding Sasuke's, Scabbard's, and ITACHI'S experiences with fangirls.
- Hinata's diary.
- Love Redeems: Reconciling with her grandfather Onoki manages to Kurotsuchi back from the brink, enough to eventually convince her to leave Naruto alone.
- Mad Bomber: Deidara obviously, but Naruto is somehow WORSE.
- Made of Explodium: Explosive squirrels in the Forest of Death.
- Mad Scientist: Scabbard Oogakari doesn't SEEM crazy at all... until he makes eye contact with Legos. The rest of the clan takes this in stride.
"… I was wondering when he was gonna finally snap… but damn… you definitely get points for originality Scab.*click* Hm… March of the Wooden Soldiers… haven't seen that in a while…" -Ghost
- Malaproper: Third Fang's spelling isn't too bad, but there are a few reoccurring malapropisms that may have you chuckling:
- Man Child: Ghost, Shadow, and Crypt Oogakari almost perpetually whenever nothing serious is happening. Technically Naruto as well, given his technical mental age and the fact that despite all of the disturbing and horrible events he's witnessed. Despite that, he still insists on maintaining an irrepressible sense of humor.
- Mask Power: Ghost's Black Phoenix.
- Subverted in that Naruto utterly loathes his itchy mask enough to take it out to an open field and blow it up with an overpowered wind technique once he no longer needs it.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Everyone during the Wave arc after Naruto insults the Kusa nin Rika
Everyone paused what they were doing to look at Naruto with wide eyes. All of them were thinking the same thing: Naruto is a dead man.
"I'm not gonna heal him after this…" Sakura stated with conviction."
"He's a little young to be getting around like that, isn't he?" Tazuna asked to no one in particular.
"Kakashi…" Kuma started hesitantly.
"No need to apologize Kuma." Kakashi sighed. "He brought this on himself."
"It seems your kid still has a lot to learn about women and tact!" Roared the Kyubi in laughter as Minato was ramming his head against the ground repeatedly.
"Seen… better…?" Rika repeated to herself in an unstable manner while reaching for several of her specially prepared kunai and senbon, a large demon appearing behind her. "I was going to go easy on you since you are just a genin… but NOW…" She started to throw large quantities of projectiles at the very scared blonde with bloody rage. "I'm gonna mutilate you!"
- Meaningful Name: Even moreso for Shikamaru now, even in-universe, much to his chagrin. He creates a massive summon-sized buck out of his own shadows, completely one-up's Gaara's Desert Tsunami and is pretty much on the point of carrying the match before his particular bodily limitations and other priorities have him forfeit on purpose. Black Deer, indeed.
- Scabbard ruminates on the significance of Naruto calling Ghost "Ero-Ni," and it doesn't take a genius to see the teacher and student become like brothers throughout this fic. Incredibly dysfunctional brothers, prone to random acts of chaos and violence upon each other and everyone else, but brothers nonetheless.
- Naruto's title, "The Feral Gale," thanks to the Seventh Sense.
- Medium Awareness: Guess.
- Memento MacGuffin: The ORIGINAL Kanshou and Bakuya serves as this for Scabbard Oogakari as a token of a great friendship with Shirou Emiya.
- Mind Fuck: It's not nice to find out that your parents have done the nasty in your head.
- Miser Advisor: Scabbard likes money.
- The Mole: Ino doesn't know it, but her cousin in Root is using her to spy on the Oogakari.
- Mood-Swinger: All of the Oogakari but especially Shadow.
- Mood Whiplash Almost any moment of seriousness in the story.
- Mooks: Most of the opponents that have run up against the Rookie 12 have been chunin-level at bare minimum, and any that aren't special jounin or above will get at best a passing reference to their defeat at the hands of the most capable youngsters since the Sannin.
- Bandits and Genin don't even get so much as a mention. In fact, the only resistance encountered by Naruto and the gang in the Forest of Death is the disguised Orochimaru.
- Wave after wave of Shabadaba's soldiers get mowed down by Hinata and the Ino/Kiba/Sai trio, while the four shinobi walk away without a scratch.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Many a comedic quick cut involves this.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Pretty much 95% of the Oogakari's titles. Particularly Ghost's
- Naruto's nickname, The Feral Gale is definitely shaping up to be one of these.
- While not, yet mentioned directly in the fic, but in the fluff, Ghost's name as The God of None is one name that Naruto knows, and is understandably afraid of it since it only involves something that would give the Ookagari pause.
- Needle in a Stack of Needles: Taken many steps further by Naruto in that his new capabilities make it more akin to a combination of Grenade In A Sea Of Grenades, Blade Below the Shoulder and Flash Step.
- Never Live It Down: The Third Hokage is considered a coward (by the Oogakari) for allowing the council to bully him, Jiraiya gets called out for not having been more a part of Naruto's life (again by the Oogakari) and Naruto will forever have the sexy jutsu hanging over his head.
- Never Mess with Granny: Lady Spitfire may be in her 60s but she's still a Lady of War Dark Action Girl.
- 90% of Your Brain : Scabbard can use 100% of his brain, supposedly unlike you and I. He also apparently experiments on it every once in a while when he gets bored. Results may vary.
- Ninja Log: WORSHIP IT!!!
- Heavily implied to have been controlling Konoha shinobi since the village's founding, and now that its hold on the population is almost complete, is now set to spread its influence throughout the entire world.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Any guy who peeps. BEWARE
- To any man, machine, or mailbox that swipes Shadow's sweets, "I'll bring flowers."
- Just hold a weapon near a young child around Waltz. I DARE you.
- Anyone who squee's loudly and tries to glomp Scabbard will receive a gold star... posthumously.
- The DCD versus anything that's NOT the DCD.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever the heck Naruto did before the first part of the chunin exam to freak out the other participants.
- No Respect Guy: Zig-Zagged. Naruto doesn't get much respect. Of course, that's partially because he's deliberately chosen to walk the path of the Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass and partially because he's become The Chew Toy.
- After the Land of Snow arc, Naruto's had high-ranking shinobi recognize him by his desired nickname and has been placed in a very significant spot of the Bingo Books.
- The Nose Knows: Extended to Naruto since his increased synchronization with the Kyubi.
- No Sell: Any attempt by an in-universe character at intimidation or flat-out physical harm towards an Oogakari will have only one outcome: complete and utter failure. That is, unless one of them thinks it would be funny.
- Ghost's fights are absolutely made of these, as it's virtually impossible to get remotely close to touching him.
- Scabbard is capable of countering anything through Awesomeness by Analysis, and if he's in direct contact with the ground, say bye-bye to whatever range advantage you had.
- Shadow can pull out every element in the book, knows her way around practically every approach to fighting, and possesses a Dragon Demon Goddess... Thing whose name could have put baby Biju fearfully to sleep at night. Kimimaro can't even put a scratch on her while she's distracted by "teh fuzziez"
- Waltz takes on the First and Second Hokage with relatively little effort and frees them from their enslavement to Orochimaru. A future-savvy Sakura nearly broke her arm trying to punch him. And Kimimaro, of all people, received the humbling experience of being on Worf's side of the effect when he tried to run the elder through with one of his bone swords.
- No Sense of Personal Space: "Ice cream people!"
- Ghost can give a massage by Seventh Sense. Also, his training of Anko.
- Crypt and Sasuke's curse mark, somehow resulting in Barney. Don't ask.
- No Sympathy: Zig-Zagged with Naruto.
- Not What It Looks Like: Hana & Hinata patching up Naruto after his first match the tournament. Hana is pinning a shirtless Naruto's arms, while giving him a good shot of her cleavage. Hinata in ripped clothes is straddling him to reopen his tenketsu. Cue Hinata's embarrassed BSOD when the rest of the rookies burst in on them.
- Averted with Ghost/Hana/Anko's relationships whenever one walks into the other two
"Before you say anything… it's exactly what it looks like…"
- The Nudifier: When Naruto was threatened by the villagers to forfeit his match against Hinata. Ghost then strips them of their clothing while the both of them continue on like nothing happened
- Obfuscating Insanity: The Oogakari and later Naruto make this a life philosophy.
- One-Man Army: Naruto deploys well over a thousand shadow clones around Konoha to support the defenses during the Chunin Invasion Assault. He does this following two insanely over-the-top matches versus Hinata and Sasuke, and has enough energy to engage and eliminate several squads of Oto shinobi, including a group of Dosu & Zaku knock-offs turned Up to Eleven, in a vital area of the village with minimum effort.
- One-Winged Angel: Ghost's winged, masked form kicked the whole fic off. Each of the other Oogakari can apparently reach higher tiers of power with implied transformations as well.
- Only Sane Employee: Anyone who is subordinate to an Oogakari will become this when said Oogakari is distracted or nothing important is happening. Yes, even if the Oogakari is Scabbard.
- Only Sane Man: Waltz and Scabbard to the rest of their family, though even they have their moments.
- Of the entire main cast, you could easily argue that the sanest is Kurenai, since she's the only one who doesn't have any discernible quirks.
- Oo C Is Serious Business: Naruto dropping the idiot act, Ghost not acting like a Handsome Lech Man Child, Shikamaru not being a lazy-ass, and Crypt making mostly perfect sense.
- Our Dragons Are Different: It's also a God and Demon for starters.
- Dragon Demon Goddess... Thing.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: This entire fic is one massive aversion of this trope. Played straight in a subtler way in that the Oogakari are a significantly humbling presence to just about anyone living in Konoha.
- Papa Wolf: Waltz. Also Ghost reading the Riot Act to Sarutobi.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The Oogakari might as well be called walking Nukes.
- Naruto has his Exploding Shadow Clones and Rasenshuriken, and that's without using the Kyuubi.
- Tenten and her custom made explosive tags.
- Chouji using Pulse Quake.
- Future-Savvy Sakura.
- Hinata is now described as this in the newest chapter.
- Physical God: The Oogakari
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Zuzushi can be small enough to hide herself in Naruto's hair and still be capable of taking out a team of Chunin or a weak Jonin.
- Power Fist: Shino gains a modified version of the Demon Brothers' gauntlets on top of the Oogakari's emphasis on training him in taijutsu. The result? An Aburame that is at a devastating advantage in close combat, as a single glancing hit can transmit numerous insects through the gauntlets. He can even turn his insects into medium-range high-velocity projectiles by propelling the bugs through vents in the gauntlets using small bursts of chakra.
- Shadow can do this... A Lot.
- Power Trio: Naruto's faction is made up of a whole lot of these, and they've all grown powerful enough to the point that any team of three will become this.
- One unique, post-exam example is Kiba, Ino, and Sai. They're all still technically Genin, but during the Main Branch Coup arc, they systematically cut their way through waves of Chunin and some Special Jonin without any significant difficulty.
- Ghost, Hana, and Anko, since quite early on to the present. Definitely going to stay that way.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Scabbard, when pissed off, delivers a beautiful one.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Averted. Sasuke's journey in this regard comes to a screeching halt by The Land of Waves Arc, starts backpedaling shortly thereafter, and by the Chunin Exams, has basically accelerated to a full-on sprint in the opposite direction and that was BEFORE he went to Sarutobi for answers to questions Itachi gave him. NOW he is practically at war with Madara.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Mastered by Hinata before the beginning of the Chunin Exams. Arguably her second set of incredibly broken Doujutsu.
- Random Power Ranking: Naruto and his teammates are quite aware of any of our friendly neighborhood Jinchuriki's missions going to hell in a handbasket.
- Rank Up: Almost everybody in the Rookie 12 gets promoted to Chunin in the exams. Only Lee, Neji, Kiba, and Ino failed to promote. Definitely helps that they fought like crazy and stacked up some pretty impressive kill counts during Orochimaru's Invasion.
- Naruto, Shikamaru, and Hinata get a huge bonus in that they all have been set up to some degree by Tsunade to become Special Jonin soon.
- Rant Inducing Slight: Ghost calls Naruto lucky. Naruto FLIPS describing his life and asking where his "so called luck" was it when he needed it. Ghost apologizes after Naruto calms down.
- Hiashi is laying into Ghost for letting Neji get an eye gouged out saying it's a Hyuuga's worst nightmare. Ghost just takes off his glasses (revealing his being blind) and tells Hiashi to get off his high horse.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil : In a blink-and-you'll-miss-it bit of dialogue between Ghost and Tsume when he explains about all the women he has met in his life:
Ghost: "... I even met a tribe of man-hating Amazons. Sure they were hot but men would die if they came anywhere near them.
Ghost: (slight shudder) "It's better if you don't think about it."
- It's rather disturbing how many of the villains consider rape a valid and acceptable form of entertainment/torture.
- Reality Warper: Ghost and Shadow.
- Red Baron: Naruto is "The Feral Gale," Shikamaru is "The Black Deer," and Scabbard is "The Hill of Blades." Ghost is "The Divine Wind of Konoha," Anko is "The Snake Mistress," and Hana is "Flower of the Three Planes."
- Post-Time Skip:
- Hinata: "The Princess"
- Ino: "The Smiling Witch"
- Chouji: "The Mountain King"
- Tenten: "The Blacksmith"
- Neji: "The White Demon"
- Lee: "The Silent Beast"
- Temari: "The Dancer of the Sky"
- Kankuro: "The Black Sand"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ghost and Scabbard, Crypt and Waltz, and Zuzushi and Shadow
- Redshirt Army: Partially averted compared to canon by Naruto and his shadow clones as the boy continues his epic chain of taking levels in Badass. And if they're getting the Redshirt treatment, they can always give them the Itachi treatment.
- Unless Lee gets drunk. Then it's played completely straight.
- They also go down in droves against really strong opponents like Orochimaru or Hinata.
- And ESPECIALLY against Kisame and Itachi, even when both of them are handicapped. Advancing Boss of Doom indeed...
- Refuge in Audacity: Practically everything the Oogakari clan does.
- One notable example would be when Naruto gets more fox like features. To avoid having this spark fear and loathing in the villagers, Naruto gets hounded through the streets trying to escape his teacher's insanity, generating sympathy and amusement instead. They pull this one off twice.
- When Yugito reports to the Raikage about the aftermath of the Chuunin Exam Invasion, we get this:
The Raikage laughed. "Heh! I see you've been getting more creative with your responses."
- Seen in chapter 28 when Naruto cheats on the first part of the Chuunin exams: creating at least 100 clones of Ibiki to look over the shoulders and answers of every participant in the exam, memorizing their answers and dissipating them before the real Ibiki can all shenanigans? AUDACIOUS.
- Reset Button / Peggy Sue: Best way to describe what happened.
- This fic's Naruto could very well be nominated as the best example of all the Peggy Sues in the history of Naruto fanfics, being extremely capable and incredibly adaptable, not to mention in current possession of the Seventh Sense and a shockingly expansive, double elemental repertoire of jutsu up his sleeves.
- Best played with when Naruto, now practically immune to Sai's provocations after his interactions with the Oogakari, takes the young Root operative out on a walk around Konoha to see what Sai will nickname random people... just for kicks.
- Revenge Before Reason: Kurotsuchi wants to kill Naruto, because she thinks (though she's not wrong) that he's related to the Fourth Hokage, who killed her father.
- Excellently and satisfyingly averted by Sasuke. Even more so when he asks Sarutobi what TRULY happened that night.
- From what we can tell with Waltz, played straight.
- Reverse Mole: Itachi. If the conflict isn't slated to begin before their conversion, Nagato and Konan as well.
- In a way, Ino too. she doesn't know she's being used as a mole, and she's reverse in the sense that she's fed useless or circumstantial information so that Danzo and ROOT don't do anything rash.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Shion, it turns out, remembers the past timeline and her promise to marry Naruto.
- The Rival: Naruto has two now, Sasuke and Hinata.
- Rock Lee is still a strong contender for becoming a third, plus his own rivalry with Neji is still alive and well, and a lot more competitive to boot!
- Running Gag: As far as Ghost is concerned, Everything's Better with Cows That Explode.
- THE LOG, and the Leaf's increasingly frightening obsession with it.
- The Sacred Darkness: Shadow and Shikamaru, especially after the latter is apprenticed to the former.
- Sadistic Trainers From Hell: The Oogakari's method of training.
- This particular excerpt sums up Naruto's private sessions rather well, between Scabbard Oogakari and Rika, a Taki Special Jonin.
"*Sigh* Which one is it this time?"
"*Counting off her fingers* Exploding cows, deadly wind techniques, and getting constantly thrown off a cliff for a week…"
"Ah… a personal favorite…"
- Samus is a Girl: Naruto has an obligatory instance of this when popular demand had Haku go Fem.
- Presumably a verrrry sarcastic moment of this by a tiny Zuzushi kicks off Shadow's latest angry, obscenity-filled rant.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: When designated as mission leader of two teams for the Prince of Moon Country arc, Naruto takes a certain portion of the in-universe rules of engagement that's been taken for granted by generations and generations of ninja... and promptly punt-kicks it out the window. In front of Sai, no less.
"The only questions that I don't want asked are the ones that ask if we should save our comrade's lives or not should they be in danger. The answer to it should be obvious and shouldn't be questioned in the first place."
- The Oogakari employ this quite a bit, the most notable example being their reformation of the Hyuuga clan via a far superior alternative to the Caged Bird Seal.
- Hiashi himself invokes this, and arguably supports Naruto more actively than any other clan head short of Waltz.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Shadow's body is more like a person-shaped sieve than anything else.
- "Demon of the Mist" becomes a literal moniker for Zabuza as he becomes the next jinchuriki for the Sanbi.
- Secret Relationship: Naruto and Hinata.
- Heck, practically any relationship that springs up relating to the Rookie 12 for obvious reasons.
- Played deliberately straight when Sasuke asks Naruto about the whole relationship spiel regarding Hinata and Sakura. Naruto buckles down with the serious and tells his best friend that it would give the Akatsuki a horrific advantage in the coming conflict.
- Self-Insert Fic: In a meta sense. Basically, Ghost and his family are self-inserting themselves into the Naruto universe, which they read as fiction in their "home" universe.
- Sherlock Scan: Ghost and Scabbard, PARTICULARLY the latter. Naruto is the first to pick this up (apart from the obvious example of Shikamaru) and even Kiba has gained a bit of this pre-timeskip.
- Ship Tease: Lee and Kin
- Shoot the Hostage: Naruto averts this in suitably spectacular fashion during the Main Branch Coup arc.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Scabbard is the shortest male in his family and its resident Smart Guy.
- Shotacon: Rika, an adult Grass seductress and poison user, attempts to use her charms on Naruto to beat him when they first meet and fight and from then on can Never Live It Down.
- Borderline when Ghost departs on a journey to bring all the pieces together. Deprived of their mind-melting massages, Anko and Hana go after Naruto instead. Cue Hinata's Violently Protective Girlfriend mode.
- Shadow also doesn't seem to have much restraint when her furry fetish is involved.
- Shout-Out: The Oogakari pretty much break the fourth wall and drop references no one in Konoha gets at will, such as Ghost laughing himself silly over Sasuke being a "natural Sith Lord."
- There are far too many to list completely, but Bleach, One Piece, Fate Stay/Night, Pokémon, Family Guy, Fallout 3, Disgaea, Starcraft II, South Park, Monty Python, The Fairly OddParents, Les Misérables, Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, Red vs. Blue, Toy Story, Twister, and Cuban Pete are just a brief sampling, and judging by the style of the author as well as the presence of Crypt and Ghost, that repertoire can only grow.
- Ghost's mind-melting massages are probably a Shout-Out to the Peggy Sue fic Chunin Exam Day.
- Sinister Scythe: Crypt's eponymous Third Fang. See Vampiric Draining below.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Naruto deals with Iwa a lot during the course of the story so the subject of Minato comes up A LOT. Enough that an entire arc is devoted to this.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Implied to have happened multiple times with Shikamaru's parents. Gaara got an especially hilarious twitch from that fun fact.
- Slave Brand: Grabbed by the Oogakari, crumpled up, and punted out the door as far as the Hyuuga are concerned.
- However, they do seal the surviving members of the Sound Five to guard a project of theirs. If they run off, it will kill them.
- Snot Bubble: Ghost and the rest of his family will drop off to sleep at whim, as indicated by this trope.
- The Sociopath: The Oogakari essentially tell the Rookie 12 to become this if it means they will survive the next few years.
- Spanner in the Works: The Land of Iron tournament is turning into a multi-layered version of this trope. Kisame (with Itachi in tow) is there to compete for money in the same tournament as Zabuza (and Sasuke). And so is Killer Bee, thanks to Scabbard. Naruto's team is playing guard duty for nobles, and Kakuzu & Hidan are there to pick off valuable bounties for cash, which could include several protagonists. So many things can go horribly wrong with this situation that it's exhilarating, and if things do go wrong, it could completely overturn the Oogakari's timetable to deal with Akatsuki and send all their plans into disarray.
- Kurotsuchi is serving as one. She's tipped off a "kill Namikaze's son" faction about Naruto which has also indirectly led to the jinchuuriki Han escaping from prison, since he hates the Yellow Flash with a passion. This puts him out of reach of Oogakari's protection.
- Chapter 65 has the literally-biggest one yet, when the clandestine conversation between Naruto & Sasuke and Itachi is interrupted by the arrival of the feral and very angry Three-Tailed Beast, woken up by the battle between Kisame and some Mist Hunter-Nin.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Haku, Zabuza, and Hiruzen. Possibly several of the jinchuuriki if plans go well. Particularly now that over half of them are "officially" future-savvy.
- The Sound Five sans Kidomaru. Kimimaro's alive, kicking, and officially disease-free. So is Hayate for that matter.
- Sandaiyuu and the revolutionaries from the first movie, by Haku, who was ALSO Spared by the Adaptation.
- Itachi has been slated to have his disease removed by Tsunade in the foreseeable future, and Nagato and Konan seem to be headed this way as well.
- A done deal, thanks to some special pocky delivered by Kushina during the Land of Iron swordsmanship tourney. The Uchiha prodigy certainly didn't enjoy the side effects, however...
- Minato and Kushina, in a rare case, have turned out to be REVIVED by the adaptation and are now keeping the Kyuubi company on amicable terms, more or less. They are even capable of taking physical form outside of Naruto's mind, though time will tell if the author decides to make this permanent in the future.
- Speak of the Devil: Mention the Demon Chicken of Doom even obliquely, and you will hear something on the wind.
- Major supernatural entities like the Bijuu and the Shinigami treat Zuzushi's name with dread and respect worthy of this trope, but she doesn't seem to mind plenty of people from Konoha tossing it around.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Lee, once he starts training in silent killing from Zabuza.
- Ghost combines this with bells to wipe out fully-armed and bloodthirsty Jonin with a kunai clenched between his teeth.
- Any of his assassination missions for the sake of Konoha are confirmed to be this. There is literally zero evidence remaining except for the body, and Ghost accomplishes these types of missions, which typically last a few months, within a week.
- Hiashi is delighted to pull this off on Naruto despite his seventh sense.
- Stepford Smiler: Naruto and Ghost occasionally show signs of being a Type A in regards to their youth and love life, respectively.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The first teamwork-based hand signs that Sasuke learns directly relate to this, mainly because he couldn't afford to NOT know when Ghost and Naruto were running around blowing everything up during training, which was (and is) frighteningly often.
- The Akatsuki themselves have been very well acquainted with this ever since one of Deidara's drunken episodes. And Itachi's slight irritation is evidence enough.
Itachi: "This coming from the child who recently made a small army's worth of suicide bombers…"
Naruto: "I'm a 13 year old boy. Of course I'm going to go overboard with the explosives if I'm capable of doing so."
- Stupid Evil: The fanon civilian council and an evil faction of Hyuuga Elders are present in all their glory. In some cases they count as Too Dumb to Live.
- Sunglasses at Night: Ghost's Cool Shades cover that his pupils are sewn shut.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Now upgraded to Superpowered Resentful, Sarcastic, yet Cooperative side, for Naruto and the Kyuubi. Almost certainly due to the main protagonist's deviation from his previous intelligence and attitude, though the presence of the Oogakari and some company in the form of Minato and Kushina definitely helps. Also, Kyubi's "prison" has been depicted as less and less of a dark, dank sewer.
- Kushina and the Kyuubi still share an undeniably antagonistic relationship, yet Minato is now regarded respectfully by the living force of nature (albeit with a small remainder of resentment), and the Fourth treats the Kyuubi as just another person to talk to.
- Super Reflexes: Ghost exemplifies this trope.
- Naruto, Hinata, Rock Lee, and Sasuke all have this in spades, even more so than the rest of the Rookie 12.
- Sakura's multi-layered Genjutsu helps provide this or the impression of it, to surprising effect.
- Super Senses: The Seventh Sense. Naruto also gets a upgrade to his senses of vision & smell via the Kyubi.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Scabbard Oogakari is one, literally and figuratively.
- Tenten's shaping up to figuratively be one, like Scabbard, as "faker."
- Naruto's Fox Talons, particularly if cross-functionality with the Rasengan is taken into account.
- Temari's new Bo Staff/War Fan, Ramidreju.
- Taking You with Me: One of the main reasons why Naruto's shadow clones are so devastatingly effective now.
- Naruto invokes this HIMSELF during the Hyuuga Coup arc when he floods his tenketsu with a dangerous level of Kyuubi chakra, creates hundreds of shadow clones, substitutes and rescues all of the hostages, and detonates all of his clones at once... but forgets to remove himself from the blast in the process.
- Talkative Loon: Crypt unless he's Bored With Insanity. Then he's a Blood Knight. Or a DCD.
- Ghost to a lesser extent, but primarily as part of being a Large Ham.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Quite averted in the Chunin Exam arc, at the very least. The one-on-one battles are so overwhelmingly high-paced that not even thinking is considered a free action at times.
- This is particularly evident in any of Naruto's big fights with Lee, Hinata, or Sasuke.
- On the other hand, with Ghost, EVERYTHING he does is a free action, particularly taunting.
- Despite the enemy doing whatever the hell they can, Scabbard does plenty of talking, and there's not a THING his opponents can do about it.
- Tempting Fate: Naruto praying not to have to face Lee in the preliminaries. You know as soon as he thinks it exactly what is going to happen.
"Eccentric?" Yugito asked curiously with a raised eyebrow. "Surely a single clan can't be that bad."
- Tsunade and Jiraiya's lottery-based, "win-win" bet. Tsunade wins and soon after the Main Branch Coup begins.
- There Are No Therapists: Utterly subverted. Sweet Ninja Jesus, the number of problems in this series that
could have have been solved by a therapist Oogakari logic is staggering.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Naruto's method of blowing up Dotou's castle.
- Considered to be one of Scabbard's rather conspicuous tendencies. Even by his family's standards.
- Naruto's Rasenshuriken rips apart the Sound Four's Four Flames Formation barrier, slaughtering Kidomaru, and would likely have inflicted terrible damage to those inside if it wasn't for Waltz. Zabuza was quite gleeful.
- This conversation among the Rookie 12 during the Chunin Exams hits it right on the nose.
Shino: "Still, it is a bit excessive for a mere rivalry, would you not agree?"
Neji: "I believe the expression that would best answer this that Naruto and Sasuke would agree with would be 'go big or go home.'"
- There Was a Door: Sarutobi reminisces about how good it is to see Naruto and co. as younger kids again... mainly because they use the door, unlike 96% of all the other people who try to contact the Hokage in his office.
- Ghost easily wins a bet against Team Seven when the Chunin at Konohagakure's gates notice how odd it is that the Oogakari is actually using the main entrance, for once.
- The Thirty-Six Stratagems:
- #2- Konoha's preemptive surgical strikes prior to the Chunin Exam Invasion hit the enemy where it was weakest while avoiding its strength, and how Naruto prevailed against Hinata's last over-the-top combo in the same way.
- #3- Taki, Suna, and even some visiting Kumo shinobi during the Chunin Exam Invasion are used to help fight Oto. Also, giving Itachi a chainlink could count depending on what he does.
- #7- Naruto's has become quite good at fooling enemies about where their attention should lie with clones, transformations, and substitutions.
- #8- Shikamaru doesn't even need a hole in the ground for Temari as a backdoor while distracting her with his more obvious reach — just good placement of the sun and the shadow of the arena wall.
- #11- Subverted. Naruto will not make short-term sacrifices for the greater goal, not where people's lives are involved. Rock Lee considers this during the Koyuki Coup Arc, but Naruto hardly gives it a second thought.
- #12- Scabbard's M.O. is this, a combination of flexible planning and extreme opportunism.
- #13- Doing something flashy and absurd to unsettle an enemy is what Ghost & Naruto are all about.
- #14- The strategy of reviving something from the past and making it your own is done somewhat more literally than most when Kin, Minato, and Kushina are saved/brought back from death.
- #15- The reason the Oogakari and Konohagakure more or less take a reactive role to Orochimaru's moves until all of the Sannin's pieces are arrayed within the borders of Konoha are to lure him away from all his advantages.
- #17- Sasuke and Sarutobi are used as bait for Orochimaru.
- #18- Several of Orochimaru's supporters have been converted after his death.
- #19- Denying Edo Tensei and converting Suna took away two of Orochimaru's greatest military assets. This is also what the Oogakari are shooting for by trying to cause the defections of Itachi, Konan, and Nagato.
- #20- Much like #13, sowing confusion is Ghost and Naruto's specialty.
- #21- Naruto uses Shadow Clones (exploding ones!) to great effect to trick an enemy into believing they have killed or captured him instead before taking advantage of their dropped guard.
- #22- Konoha actively captures and mops up the remnants of Oto after their defeat. They also reward their allies by divying up the missions to clean up the power vacuum in Oto to finish "capturing the thief."
- #23- A major goal of the Oogakari is to befriend strong rival villages to face the looming threat of Akatsuki and hopefully turn them from "enemies of my enemy" to long-term allies. The major complication is that none of the other villages know of Akatsuki's threat, so the stratagem is currently working with the jinchuuriki on a smaller scale.
- #27- Feign Madness but Keep your Balance? That's Oogakari and Naruto, Up to Eleven. Lampshaded in that Sai legitimately considers this stratagem until Naruto wisely dissuades him that it would be much harder for him to pull off.
- #28- Orochimaru and his forces both were lured into a trap which left no route for escape. Fighting their way back out proved to be too much.
- #29- Anko pulls tricks enemies with the value of Princess Koyuki, of all people. Also, the Oogakari are doing this with Ino for Root.
- #30- The Oogakari have effectively usurped the reigns of power behind the scenes. They arrived as guests and... well... they're all pretty much dancing in the palm of Scabbard's hand at this point. Not that they don't enjoy this particular dance, mind you.
- #32- Naruto, believe it or not, pulls off acting calm in a crisis to unnerve an enemy. One example would be Hinata's diary fiasco. Also subverted in that so many enemies call Naruto's bluff only to find out it wasn't one.
- #34- Letting yourself be injured to gain trust is how Naruto rescues Hinata, Hiashi, and all of the Hyuuga still loyal to Konoha.
- #36- Everyone knows that at present the best way of dealing with the Akatsuki is to turn tail. Unfortunately, this may not be an option in the Land of Iron.
- Throwing the Fight: Played with. Shikamaru completely defeats Temari without exhausting himself this time, then gives a spectacular showing of his new powers versus Gaara, only to throw the fight to prepare for the invasion.
- Naruto does this versus Sasuke to screw with Orochimaru's signaling of the Invasion.
- To Be a Master: Expanded upon from canon. Hinata is now engaged in a friendly rivalry with Naruto to become the leader of Konohagakure, with Naruto's encouragement.
- An exercise in Fridge Brilliance on the author's part, considering Ghost and Hiashi's arrangement during the beginning of the fic. Win-win situation, indeed.
- Toilet Humor: Ghost's Chinese food "allergy."
- Took a Level in Badass: Every single member of the Konoha 12 gets trained by the clan. Some turn out very impressive.
- Hana and Anko also get an impressive boost in power — Hana especially./
- Both Tenten and Rock Lee have this performed quite literally on their bodies by Scabbard and Crypt, respectively. Tenten now has the potential to summon and properly wield practically any weapon in existence to devastating effect. Rock Lee's physical capabilities have skyrocketed. He can now shrug off performing the Primary Lotus, and there's a chance that he could pull off all eight celestial gates without dying.
- On the other hand, that extra level seems to mostly elude Kurenai, Kiba, and Ino, much like in canon.
- It's been heavily and repeatedly emphasized that the only thing holding back the true potential of the Konoha 12 is their age and relative immaturity of their bodies, particularly Naruto. When the author's timeskip fic comes into being, prepare for multiple Badass-Level-Gainings on the order of magnitudes. FOR EACH CHARACTER.*
- Took a Level in Kindness: Sasuke. Many, many times.
- Neji after an intense sparring match with Hinata escalates and the heiress comes out on top.
- Sai gets deployed to the Rookie 12 pre-timeskip, and his particular leveling has been much swifter as a result.
- Humorously averted with Zabuza. He STILL likes to butcher people.
- Too Powerful to Live: Seems to be the reason behind the relapses of the Oogakari. Played with in that they're all basically immortal.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Subverted as a central point of Naruto and Scabbard's sparring match.
- On the other hand, heavily implied to be played straight in the future because of Naruto's awesome combination of Sage Mode and the Seventh Sense.
- Triang Relations: Ghost, Anko, & Hana.
- Trickster Mentor: Ghost has turned panties-jacking into a training exercise for Anko, while they were actually ON HER BODY, with predictably violent results.
- Tropes Are Not Bad: Some prominent aspects of the fic could be the hallmark of a terrible wish-fulfillment fic, such as uber-powerful OCs familiar with the plot of the story running around causing trouble, but Third Fang shows that with enough insanity, comedy, and creativity even normally poisonous fic concepts can be made awesome.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Common reaction to traumatic memories. (e.g of Training from Hell.)
- Ghost plus female acidic Breath Weapon users equals this.
- Scabbard plus fangirls equals this.
- Ino plus the Forest of Death
- Naruto plus reminders of roughly 50-60 percent of what the Oogakari have done for/to him equals this.
- Chouji plus anything wielded by Tenten equals this.
- True Companions: The bond between the Konoha 12 is even stronger than it is in canon, thanks to the cross-team training that is done in the beginning. Their bonds are so strong that not once does betraying the village ever cross Sasuke's mind. Exemplified when Neji, despite being on the verge of death and now lacking one eye, asserts to Han (the man who put him in that state) that they will never betray their friends.
- Try Not to Die: As Orochimaru's invasion rages around them, Shikamaru plays with this trope while he and Naruto assign roles to the rest of the Rookie 12 and Gaara's team, replacing "die" with "do anything Naruto would do."
- Even Naruto's shadow clones find this amusing.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Ghost has a brief Imagine Spot of this early on with regards to the Hyuuga.
- Unnecessarily Large Interior: The Oogakari's underground training area, purposefully taken from Bleach. Unlike for Urahara, though, subverted in that, given what happens there on a usual basis, it's often VERY necessary.
- Unstoppable Rage: Not too many have been displayed thus far, but the few times it happens more than make up for quantity with quality.
- Naruto uniquely combines his Unstoppable Rage with Tranquil Fury during his his fight with Dotou. He gets so pissed-off enough about getting cold and wet that he swats away Black Dragon Blizzards with his BARE HANDS.
- Naruto's Kyuubi-empowered assault on Orochimaru in the Forest of Death using hundreds of exploding shadow clones is made of this.
- Naruto when he runs into Han after he beats several of Naruto's friends within an inch of their lives.
- Vampiric Draining: The whole reason why Crypt is the only known individual capable of wielding Third Fang for any duration of time, not to mention wear it 24/7. It endlessly drains blood, and only Crypt can keep it fed with no ill effect. Kabuto found out the hard way.
- Variable-Length Chain: Anything involving Ghost's Black Phoenix powers.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Hinata at times
- Ino for Chouji.
- The main reason why Sakura wasn't given her memories back almost immediately is there was no way she wouldn't try and kill Orochimaru on sight.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sasuke and Naruto taken to the next level.
Possibly Definitely Naruto and Sakura as well. The three-way blackmail war within Team Seven may very well make the current conflict between the members of Team Seven seem relatively tame.
- Naruto and Princess Koyuki.
- The Oogakari, to levels that Naruto and Sasuke could not even DREAM.
- Caution. Crossfire may include sexually active Chimera.
- Warrior Therapist: Any of the Oogakari can definitely count as this. Particularly Ghost.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Ghost's violent digestive reaction to Chinese food.
- We Are as Mayflies: Subverted with the Oogakari, particularly Ghost
- Ghost's average life expectancy is actually a few hours, if you count his relapses.
- Weirdness Censor: Tenten speculates that this is part of the reason why Lee is so good at the Silent Killing technique.
"The scary thing is… he's good at it. Really… really good at it. I think its partially because we've been trying for so long to ignore him that it adds to his ability to get around without getting noticed."
- Weirdness Coupon: The Oogakari.
- Weirdness Magnet: Naruto. Enough that Sasuke considers requesting to not be involved with any team Naruto is on for a mission.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Naruto technically be at the mental age and maturity to move past this, but he always happens to be mightily pleased when he manages to impress even Ghost. Subverted the vast remainder of the time in that Ghost does things
- Ghost diagnoses Hinata with this, and proper support from her family and friends helps her turn out a lot for the better.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Averted this time around for Yugao, Hanabi, and Princess Koyuki. And Naruto's relationship with Hinata has quite clearly not been forgotten, particularly because the author has vented some frustration on the issue.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ghost and Waltz are not very forgiving of Hiruzen, Kakashi, or Jiraiya (and to a much lesser extent Tsunade) for failing to take better care of Naruto and for failing to tell him about his parents. Naruto is much more forgiving about it in comparison.
- Add the fact that Hiruzen teased him about not noticing Hinata's feelings is actually Harsher in Hindsight.
- Crowned by Ghost pointing out the Fridge Horror of how close they all came to leaving Naruto Locked Out of the Loop about his own past. If he hadn't met the remnant of his mother and father's souls and Nagato didn't resurrect the village Naruto would have NEVER found out.
- Waltz, to an unfathomable degree, if his recollections and impossibly deep regret are any indication.
- A recent omake in ch75 reveals that Scabbard's hatred of fangirls and mahou shoujo led him to create Kyubey as the final means of detering their creation, heaven help him if Homura meets Waltz at any time in the future given his past experiences.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Onoki remarks to Sarutobi that too many Uchiha were either arrogant bastards or got themselves killed because they were far too reliant on their Sharingan.
- The Oogakari are working to fix this for all the one-trick characters in Konoha in canon, most notably Tenten, Lee, Chouji, and Shikamaru. Neji, Kiba, and Ino get slightly left behind, though.
- Naruto is no longer anywhere remotely close to this, thanks to Ghost.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: The Oogakari suffer from this.
- Ghost, in particular, devoted several centuries to the pursuit of finding someone or something capable of permanently killing him. Particularly after the passing of his last significant other.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Ghost mentions that this is true of nearly all immortals eventually. The choice is whether to go partially insane to relieve the stress or to bottle it up and lose it completely.
- And naturally the popular meme that the stronger a ninja is the more eccentric they are shows up.
- Shikamaru bluntly tells Chouji to ask Ino out before she becomes a Special Jonin because of the former's uncanny level of Genre Savvy.
- The Third also lampshades the trope with respect to
political power paperwork both by saying that he has ANBU set up to record Naruto's reactions for the first 6 months in office when the hat is finally passed to him.
- The Worf Barrage: The only techniques shown or implied to NOT be this against a select Oogakari are Haku's Tail of the Northern Dragon, Naruto's Rasenshuriken, and Lee's Celestial Gates.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Exploited by Kakashi when he takes advantage of his own Mangekyou when Itachi hits him with Tsukuyomi, using the extra time to converse with the Uchiha prodigy and set up the first defection within the Akatsuki.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Scabbard Oogakari has green hair.
- You Have Failed Me: Averted after members of the Akatsuki, FOUR of them, no less, report failure to Nagato and Konan. They get off with a reprimand and new assignments, although the leader of the Akatsuki was understandably shocked and angered by implied details in Kakuzu's message.
- You Monster!: A very common reaction from any enemy facing down an Oogakari.
- You Never Asked: Ghost and Scabbard
- Your Head Asplode: Crypt. Chapter 52. Played for Laughs.
"Oh my god.. PLANK
IS THE LOG'S SON!"