To fight the future, we turn to the pastX-COM: Resurrection
is an XCOM: Enemy Unknown
fanfic that is almost a crossover with our own history. Facing the alien threat, X-COM resurrects great warriors from Earth's history.
The story contains examples of:
- Action Girl: All the female warriors.
- Back from the Dead: All of the warriors.
- Badass: EVERYONE.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: To varying degrees.
- All but averted for Simo Hayha, who died in 2002. He even still has a working e-mail!
- For Want of a Nail: Aside from the development of the (unexplained) resurrection tech, the story also diverges from canon in that the one survivor from the first squad was crippled, which is why she doesn't participate in the fighting. Instead, she becomes the commander.
- Mundane Object Amazement: The one thing that convinces Jeanne that technology is good? Modern agriculture.
- Averted for a lot of the technology around the base - the warriors were given memories of modern soldiers, so they're familiar with its functions, even if they still think it's really cool.
- My Greatest Failure: Bradford views the first mission (the tutorial) as this, given that he lost three quarters of his squad, and the survivor was crippled.
- Not So Different: Many characters find interesting common points between the modern world and their own times:
- Jeanne sees Dr. Vahlen as similar to a rather fanatical priest, only focused on science instead of religion.
- Ragnar calls Jeanne a "Christian shieldmaiden".